Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Naaaaaah.

yeahhhhhhhhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Every time you go for a ride, that's 8 other bikes that are being left behind, quietly rusting into seizure.

HTH.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

You should fold like 4 of those into one CBX.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

MetaJew posted:

This may be true for the cost of the bike itself, but I've found, as a late 20s male with zero accidents or speeding tickets, that insurance for a 600/675 is 3-4x more expensive than what I'm paying for my SV650, which is also more than I paid for my KTM sumo.

That part of the cost of ownership was part of why I didn't buy a 600.

I pay $62/mo for full comprehensive on my Tuono. I was paying $120/mo for my Daytona 675.
Buy a tuono.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

Is - is that three fuckin' Oldwings?

I now have a curious desire to see the engines geared together into a Ж-12.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phy posted:

Is - is that three fuckin' Oldwings?

I now have a curious desire to see the engines geared together into a Ж-12.

Why yes, yes it is.

Not pictured is 2 xs650's, a virago (sold), 3 cb750's (one is just parts mostly), a CB500 (now gone), and probably other bikes that I'm forgetting along with enough parts to build several complete bikes.
I've since acquired a 98 and a 99 VFR800 as well as a 96 CBR600F3, and a 95 (for parts CBR600).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

n+1 is a thing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

You're like the macho version of a crazy cat lady.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Instead of toxoplasmosis he has brain damage from COx fumes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You should sell all those bikes and buy one good bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I wanted to say this but I didn't want to be rude.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I excel at my job.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

You meet the nicest Hondas on a people...

Taken another way, Gnarly is REALLY preserving nature.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

Aren't you the guy who wrenches but doesn't ride?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's all of us except instead of wrenching it's posting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Not seeing any Italian bikes there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

British*

I found out the new owner of my 675 dropped a valve on his way to work yesterday. It'll be the third motor going in that chassis in 50k miles. :lol:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

British*

I found out the new owner of my 675 dropped a valve on his way to work yesterday. It'll be the third motor going in that chassis in 50k miles. :lol:

Wasn't there another goon who had a 675 blow up too?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

BlackMK4 posted:

British*

Remind us what year that was so we know to stay far away.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nitramster posted:

Remind us what year that was so we know to stay far away.
06 motor lasted like 28k miles before spinning lower end bearings.
Swapped an 09 motor on the 06 electronics with an 09 tune and sold the bike with 36k or something on it.
I don't know how many miles the new owner has put on it but...

hot sauce posted:

Wasn't there another goon who had a 675 blow up too?

I dunno, but a few have crashed them. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Chris Knight posted:

Sure looks like it, doesn't it? I have a problem leaving "good enough" alone.
Ironically, I rode a lot when I was a motorcycle mechanic. Once, I managed to turn an 8 hour ride to Rochester, PA into a 23 hour 900mile marathon.

Now I'm doing I.T. work 7-6 and contracting work after hours and on the weekends.
I don't have time to sleep, let alone work on or ride bikes :(

nsaP posted:

I sold a couple of them and bought the CBR then laid it down about a year ago. I kept the wrecked CBR and used the insurance money to pay off some bills and buy a broken VFR800. My other VFR is now in pieces donating parts to the most recently purchased VFR to help figure out what needs to be replaced.

It's the circle of life.

edit:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm an addict. I'm not masochistic.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 22, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that something that happens often or did you just get the albatross edition? Cause I really, really, really want a Daytona but at the slightest hint of britishery I know I'd just crumble and get a Japanese 600 instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Is that something that happens often or did you just get the albatross edition? Cause I really, really, really want a Daytona but at the slightest hint of britishery I know I'd just crumble and get a Japanese 600 instead.

Spinning bearings was the common issue on the early (06-08) motors due to the case flexing and oiling issues. The 09+ motor had extra strengthening in the case casting, a new oil relief valve, a new waterpump/oil pump design, a new oil pan gasket that acted as a baffle, and a dipstick that was shorter so that the 'full' mark meant more oil was in the motor. Valve springs / valves have always been an issue with dropped valves being common.

It's a great, great, great bike when it's working right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Daytonas don't like high revs. They don't make the most power up there, they respond well to being short shifted. They also have a bit of a tendency to burn oil, some worse than others, and all do it at high revs. That plus a dipstick design that is really terrible, unclear dipstick markings, and a couple of ohter minor things, and they have a tendency to pop because it's easy to neglect them. I've had 2 and put around 30-40k on those 2 and never blew anything up. I have a buddy with an 06 racebike that did 5 years of racing, no issues - he just rebuilt the engine cause it was getting a bit tired.

Basically, they're not as bulletproof as a gixxer so they tend to pop because people don't monitor the oil, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think my original motor went because the stock CCT failed and the cam chain was worn, which allowed the cam chain to rub the side of the case and ended up shaving a bunch of aluminum into the oil. We all know how it ended after that. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I dunno, but a few have crashed them. :v:

With the right frame sliders, they crash pretty well! The headstock blew up on mine though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

With the right frame sliders, they crash pretty well! The headstock blew up on mine though

I read an article a while back where they talked to an insurance guy about bike crashes and he said triumphs are usually not recoverable because of this exact thing.

Suzukis apparently crash great!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

GSXR frames love to crack around the headstock area. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Confirmed A+ would crash again

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I read an article a while back where they talked to an insurance guy about bike crashes and he said triumphs are usually not recoverable because of this exact thing.

Recoverable by insurance maybe not, I on the other hand, was able to recover a large sum due to the part out :D

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Whatever my :c00lbert: Cool Uncle Busa :c00lbert: lets me drink whatever soda I want.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

Whatever my :c00lbert: Cool Uncle Busa :c00lbert: lets me drink whatever soda I want.

Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell a Hayabusa apart from a Goldwing if it weren't for the Japanese symbol on the side. :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell a Hayabusa apart from a Goldwing if it weren't for the Japanese symbol on the side. :shrug:

If you're that vision impaired you probably shouldn't be riding :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

One of them is ugly as sin but pulls like a fukken train and makes a suprisingly good tourer

The other is a Busa

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeahhhhhhhhh...

I feel like this is a picture of 9 slightly different colored turds.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Also the best part about my picture is that no one has told me how bent my bars are.
super loving bent

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Also the best part about my picture is that no one has told me how bent my bars are.
super loving bent

Woo bent bar GS500e club... The one I just bought went down on the right side at some point and tweaked the bars a bit.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

After 3 months of waiting, it's here. Time to get some mods going.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did it come with an open face helmet and a beard growing kit? :v:

Sweet bike, I liked them from the moment they were announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

No. 6 posted:

After 3 months of waiting, it's here. Time to get some mods going.

:swoon: There are probably 100s of thousands of comfy, practical BMWs being ridden by pilots, accountants and retired engineers, none of which indulge more than just sticker envy. This is something else, but are you planning on adding a rear fender?