Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Every single thought in your mind is caused by a measurable, predictable, physical event.
It has to be.
How else can I be programmed into my own world where I can have sex with all my favorite videogame characters and childhood cartoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

But that is exactly what I've been saying. Why are you arguing with me, then? :confused:

God but you are an annoying dick. I already said that I don't even care about the answer, because it feels like we do have free will anyway. If you think that being aware of your own limitations is a "religion of powerlessness" then whatever, but at least pay attention.

If that's how you define words then that works, I guess. I figured we were talking about the actual representation that I'm looking at, not the meaning that my mind makes of it.

That's right. I am an annoying dick. You've figured me out. But, at least I don't come to uncomfortable conclusions and then ignore them and any evidence against them despite claiming to be a scientist.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

Alright then I'll just tie you down and shove a hot poker up your rear end and you won't be able to object because you don't have free will

"I'll just put 1 and 1 to this AND gate and 0 will come out because the AND gate has free will!"

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

"I'll just put 1 and 1 to this AND gate and 0 will come out because the AND gate has free will!"

That is literally what you're saying.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SnowblindFatal posted:

I'm sure it's just a case of miscommunication (lol), but first you were for the idea that we have free will and now you're against it? idgi

also loling at the free will people. They're probably just in denial because their world view is crumbling right behind their eyes. Clutching at straws.

See, that's the thing. People that claim free will is impossible, once you probe them, actually believe in a mysterious thing they call free will which has almost nothing to do with the actual process of decision-making. They also believe that everything is inevitable, lol.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Yaldabaoth posted:

Alright then I'll just tie you down and shove a hot poker up your rear end and you won't be able to object because you don't have free will
it's posts like this that make me suspect you have no idea what free will is supposed to mean

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Effectronica posted:

That's right. I am an annoying dick. You've figured me out. But, at least I don't come to uncomfortable conclusions and then ignore them and any evidence against them despite claiming to be a scientist.
I have no idea where you would even come to the conclusion that anything I've said is at all a pleasant thought to me.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

See, that's the thing. People that claim free will is impossible, once you probe them, actually believe in a mysterious thing they call free will which has almost nothing to do with the actual process of decision-making. They also believe that everything is inevitable, lol.

Like I said, most of their arguments boil down to "Humans cannot be more than the sum of their parts" Like for example:

quote:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
hi, i'm sorry to inform, but the neurons in your brain work nothing like digital logic gates. hope that clears some stuff up.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

If theres no free will why does anime exist?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

tetsuo posted:

it's posts like this that make me suspect you have no idea what free will is supposed to mean

I don't think you do either because you're arguing that you're incapable of free will. How can something that doesn't have free will be aware that it doesn't have it?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Cardiovorax posted:

If that's how you define words then that works, I guess. I figured we were talking about the actual representation that I'm looking at, not the meaning that my mind makes of it.

My point really is that irrespective of the information they convey, the words physically are a transient configuration of impulses within your monitor, which is how I see the mind / brain relationship. The mind is not the brain but it is not ephemeral either, it is the transient configuration of the brain, or the brain state at any given moment. You can change your mind easily, but changing your brain involves a complex surgical procedure.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Yaldabaoth posted:

I don't think you do either because you're arguing that you're incapable of free will. How can something that doesn't have free will be aware that it doesn't have it?

I don't have wings

gently caress i must have wings

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Free will is the ability to make your own choices without them constantly being dictated by circumstance.

When you decide to order a cheese burger instead of a chicken sandwich, you're using your free will to make a choice.

Some people would argue that you're not actually making a choice when you do that, some neurons in your brain are firing off and are making you order a cheeseburger over a chicken sandwich, and you actually never made a choice. Those people are retarded.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Yaldabaoth posted:

How can something that doesn't have free will be aware that it doesn't have it?
I can imagine a lot of properties I could, but ultimately don't, possess and be aware of not having them. Why is free will a special case that requires me to have it to be aware of not having it? You've created a paradox without explaining why it's the case.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 26, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Why would you assume that they can't be?

monkey posted:

My point really is that irrespective of the information they convey, the words physically are a transient configuration of impulses within your monitor, which is how I see the mind / brain relationship. The mind is not the brain but it is not ephemeral either, it is the transient configuration of the brain, or the brain state at any given moment. You can change your mind easily, but changing your brain involves a complex surgical procedure.
I guess we're just quibbling semantics, then, because I mean the same thing. I was just calling the whole thing "the brain" as a matter of shorthand.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dolphin posted:

no, they're not doing that at all. koko is making pseudo-signs for a reward and penny is interpreting them like a preacher interprets glossolalia

Lol you're a fuckin idiot

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Cardiovorax posted:

Why would you assume that they can't be?

Why do you answer so many questions with other questions?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

hellotoothpaste posted:

A lot of these questions are phrased in a way of of asking someone to prove a negative or unwind a non-sequitur, it's valid.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Tsinava posted:

Free will is the ability to make your own choices without them constantly being dictated by circumstance.

When you decide to order a cheese burger instead of a chicken sandwich, you're using your free will to make a choice.

Some people would argue that you're not actually making a choice when you do that, some neurons in your brain are firing off and are making you order a cheeseburger over a chicken sandwich, and you actually never made a choice. Those people are retarded.

THIS! Dear God, this! Anti-Free Will people are basically making the same bullshit argument that Randians do when they claim people are just altruistic because it makes them feel good. Now for the love of God, close the loving thread!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Tsinava posted:

hi, i'm sorry to inform, but the neurons in your brain work nothing like digital logic gates. hope that clears some stuff up.

Yeah but that is all irrelevant.

I don't know any brain biology, but I assume it's just a metaphor for "brain cell receives a Sigmund signal and doesn't split the signal, jack off its mitochondria and cut all ties to the rest of the brain because it has free will"

The point is that even though the system is a lot more complex, doesn't mean that there's still a deterministic set of rules it follows.

So I guess congratulations on being autistic and incapable of expanding your thinking?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
lmao, explain to me why you chose cheeseburger instead of chicken sandwich. You literally can't. Thousands of experiments have shown this. You can't explain why you made those choices. They aren't conscious. You aren't the engine that drives your choices. Why > didn't < you pick chili cheese dog? You had the free will to pick any sandwich and the one you chose you had absolutely no conscious part in deciding. This is known. Your free will is an illusion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

hellotoothpaste posted:

Because I was asking a question, not giving an answer. I don't understand why you would assume that those two things are mutually exclusive.

Yaldabaoth posted:

THIS! Dear God, this! Anti-Free Will people are basically making the same bullshit argument that Randians do when they claim people are just altruistic because it makes them feel good. Now for the love of God, close the loving thread!
I figure I understand your problem now. You seem to think that just because someone says that decision making (or altruism) have biological roots, they must also be devaluing it. Nobody did that.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yeah but that is all irrelevant.

I don't know any brain biology, but I assume it's just a metaphor for "brain cell receives a Sigmund signal and doesn't split the signal, jack off its mitochondria and cut all ties to the rest of the brain because it has free will"

The point is that even though the system is a lot more complex, doesn't mean that there's still a deterministic set of rules it follows.

So I guess congratulations on being autistic and incapable of expanding your thinking?
I swear it's like people these days aren't even aware that analog computing is a thing that exists.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

tetsuo posted:

lmao, explain to me why you chose cheeseburger instead of chicken sandwich. You literally can't. Thousands of experiments have shown this. You can't explain why you made those choices. They aren't conscious. You aren't the engine that drives your choices. Why > didn't < you pick chili cheese dog? You had the free will to pick any sandwich and the one you chose you had absolutely no conscious part in deciding. This is known. Your free will is an illusion.

Gravity also cannot be explained and is therefore not real.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tsinava posted:

Gravity also cannot be explained
lol what

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

tetsuo posted:

^

Also for whoever thinks they know about neurons, whilst they don't operate on boolean functions they are essentially if functions. For one neuron to fire its signal to the synapse of a connected neuron its charge must reach its "action" potential. Otherwise it is at its "resting" potential.

So basically If (Charge = action)
then
fire neuron
else
do nothing

lol good work showing where free will comes into that

but overall have y'all not argued about free will enough times to know that it's completely pointless arguing about it?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Tsinava posted:

Gravity also cannot be explained and is therefore not real.

There are plenty of experiments that support the reality of gravity and the non-reality of free will hth. :)

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Quickscope420dad posted:

but overall have y'all not argued about free will enough times to know that it's completely pointless arguing about it?

Haha, yeah it's a classic trap, I know.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Hmmm let's try to measure and quantify the philosophical notion of free will. Oh look, we've determined that a some of human decision making is random and not totally conscious or predictable. I guess free will isn't real then.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Quickscope420dad posted:

Actually the thing is that it's literally like arguing about religion. I bet five bux that all these people for free will are religious.

E: ninja edit because someone probably just quoted my post

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Random and unconscious decisions fail at the "will" part, not the freedom.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Actually the thing is that it's literally like arguing about religion. I bet five bux that all these people for free will are religious.

E: ninja edit because someone probably just quoted my post
Which would be funny, because predestination is like the ur-religion.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Yes Cardiovorax, at this point in time, gravity has not been completely explained by science, much like the human thought process. Shocking. I know.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tsinava posted:

Yes Cardiovorax, at this point in time, gravity has not been completely explained by science, much like the human thought process. Shocking. I know.
I'm not the one to blame when you do poo poo like mixing up "is not" and "cannot." Nothing is ever completely explained by science, anyway.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Tsinava posted:

Honestly tell me, do you believe in god. You have to tell the truth.

E: or spirits or whatever don't get stuck on semantics here.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
This is like that one scene in Cube Zero, except the correct answer is reversed. Answer wrong and you're out of the thread. (and should kill yourself)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

SnowblindFatal posted:

Honestly tell me, do you believe in god. You have to tell the truth.

E: or spirits or whatever don't get stuck on semantics here.

god and determinism are not mutually exclusive though

totes possible to believe that god created us all as little creatures on rails doomed to suffer for it's amusement lol #thisishelljustlookatGBS

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Quickscope420dad posted:

god and determinism are not mutually exclusive though

totes possible to believe that god created us all as little creatures on rails doomed to suffer for it's amusement lol #thisishelljustlookatGBS

Yeah, I agree there. If you believe in god, then it has to be so that in the beginning god rolled some cosmic d20 and then just let things roll. I don't believe in that for the same reason I don't believe in fairies, but that is the most acceptable form of religion, for sure.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
This thread is great I'm learning a lot.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yeah, I agree there. If you believe in god, then it has to be so that in the beginning god rolled some cosmic d20 and then just let things roll. I don't believe in that for the same reason I don't believe in fairies, but that is the most acceptable form of religion, for sure.

Kinda like toying with the idea that since an omnipotent and omniscient entity would be able to calculate the closest approximation of a perfect reality and timeline, it would calculate that and then run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not the one to blame when you do poo poo like mixing up "is not" and "cannot." Nothing is ever completely explained by science, anyway.

I didn't mix anything up. We cannot currently explain gravity.

• Locked thread