Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think you understand, youth brings innovation*

(*also brings gullibility and no dependents or self-esteem)

also, they get paid $90,000 in Madison, WI which is not unreasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tech bubble butt

shake what your vc gave ya

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah. not as a career. just as a "i am a loving master of the forest" cool thing

i am basically picturing this:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

this is interesting but the actual analogy he was talking about I think was the one where start-ups and investors are like pigeons bc one of them will see some food and go and peck at it, and then another couple will notice and go grab some too, and then suddenly 10000 pigeons descend on the area and swarm the place looking for the food, but by then it's gone and there was never enough for all of them in the first place and the original pigeons have long since moved on but no one noticed and now there's no food for anyone and it's just 10000 useless bird milling around making noise and making GBS threads on everything

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
its a qirex post or we accused him of making it up either way just start creepily dredging his post history

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pigeon quote:

some yosposter posted:

the "investment community" is basically a flock of pigeons, they see one pigeon who finds a tortilla chip and then the ones that notice take off and fly towards it and then the other 1000 pigeons just take off because they notice that everyone's starting to fly in that direction and when they land the chip is already gone and most of them never even knew there was one in the first place

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i like sagebrush's version better tbh

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

usually redoing a good post makes the whole thing less funny but agreedo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Forums Terrorist posted:

same, but the first one makes a good point in that the late arrivals are there just because they saw a bunch of others there and never even had a glimpse of the original chip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

same, but the first one makes a good point in that the late arrivals are there just because they saw a bunch of others there and never even had a glimpse of the original chip.

that was the whole point of the original post. "investors" as a rule have no loving clue what they're doing or why they're doing it, it's just "reacting to the way the market is headed"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

advertising age says gawker is toxic to brands that advertise on their site

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

any competent pr firm should be able to segregate off those sorts of letter writing campaign because they have dealt with them before (christian groups like afa, one million moms, etc have employed the same tactic for a while). the real danger is that you'll end up with some pr firm that thinks "social media presence" actually matters one iota and freaks out because of a sudden surge of hashtagged tweets. after adobe and intel put their foot solidly into the pile of poo poo when they reacted I don't think anyone else will make the same mistake with a public response which will result in them having to explain why agreeing with sexist people doesn't make them sexist.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

six years working there, going on a little over two years working for a customer doing the same poo poo

i'm a loving moron

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

it's almost like employing nothing but 22 year olds straight out of college with no medical experience leads to lovely software

Serious question: why is the interface so terrible? I understand that may be partly on our own inhouse implementation team, but I've used Epic at a few hospitals now and it's terrible everywhere. It's like they looked at VB Apps from the mid 90s and said nice.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

six years working there, going on a little over two years working for a customer doing the same poo poo

i'm a loving moron

dude just gtfo

quitting epic was literally the best thing i did in my entire life, even though it resulted in me being unemployed for 9 months and taking a significant pay cut when i started working again (because i went into academia)

i lasted exactly a year and a half, which is actually surprisingly long given that i knew from day one that i'd hate every minute of it. at least i had my own office so i could take naps under my desk

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

it's almost like employing nothing but 22 year olds straight out of college with no medical experience leads to lovely software

realtalk epic taught me a lot about how to write software, mostly because they were the goofus of "goofus and gallant". i probably wouldn't be such a stickler for version control or testing if i hadn't worked there.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 27, 2014

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh also here's the email i got when i pointed out an arbitrary-code-execution attack on an in-house library function that was used in a few hundred places:

quote:

This is a known issue. There are few ways to avoid this:

1. Use BulkRPC for sending user entered data.
2. Or, make sure you wrap the user entered data in quotes (properly)
before sending it to the server using RPC.

Also this problem is not isolated to how we do calls to the database
server. It's industry wide problem. You can create havoc using SQL
injections if the user entered data is not properly validated.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Avenging Dentist posted:

oh also here's the email i got when i pointed out an arbitrary-code-execution attack on an in-house library function that was used in a few hundred places:

secfuck thread is that way ----> because God drat

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah. Thank you sagebrush for everything you do.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

kwinkles posted:

i am basically picturing this:

trigger warning that poo poo

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Residency Evil posted:

Serious question: why is the interface so terrible? I understand that may be partly on our own inhouse implementation team, but I've used Epic at a few hospitals now and it's terrible everywhere. It's like they looked at VB Apps from the mid 90s and said nice.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The UI was done once and that was it. "If we change the UI it will confuse users." Never mind the fact that users never understood it in the fist place. It's selling and its making money. Welcome to the world of "Enterprise" Software. Fun fact, the people who make the decision to purchase Epic for their Hospital, a multi-million dollar deal, probably never even touched the software during their RFP/RFI phase. They sat through the sales presentations where they were promised the moon and maybe, maybe, they called some of the referrals they were given.

I once asked a doctor friend what he thought of Epic and he said they loved it. Why? Because the competition is still on Green Screens(tm). And even if you were to write something with a better UI than Epic (not exactly a difficult task) you'd never be able to sell it. Why? Because their poo poo is so entrenched in the market. Nobody will buy anything new because new is dangerous. Epic is there and it works (translation: doesn't actively poo poo the bed every day of the week). Their rise to success was just being in the right place at the right time (an EMR with a GUI when everyone was looking to upgrade off of paper records). Also, good luck accommodating every hospitals broken-rear end business process. They won't change their process to fit your software. You have to adapt it to theirs.

And no, I don't work for Epic. Enterprise software is a :psypop: in and of itself. We should have a dedicated Enterprise Software thread. I'll probably start one this week if I get a chance and someone doesn't beat me to it.

Avenging Dentist posted:

:stonk:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Avenging Dentist posted:

dude he's right, i mean sql injections are always a thing if you dont actually give even the slightest fraction of a poo poo

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TerminalRaptor posted:

We should have a dedicated Enterprise Software thread. I'll probably start one this week if I get a chance and someone doesn't beat me to it.

i have probably a full page's worth of anecdotes i could post in there and i was only at epic for a year and a half

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

TerminalRaptor posted:

And even if you were to write something with a better UI than Epic (not exactly a difficult task)

the thing is that epic's UI is actually leagues _better_ than the competition (McKesson, etc).

Let that sink in for a second.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

yeah csammis (who worked at a competitor of epic) and i used to talk about how bad our software was, and the conclusion we came to was that his company was epic but 5-10 years in the past

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

more tech baubles: http://istrategylabs.com/2014/10/meet-dorothy-click-your-heels-to-summon-an-uber-call-your-phone-or-text-your-friends/

this is definitely a case of name driven development.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gawker is better than the gamergate people :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Also, good luck accommodating every hospitals broken-rear end business process. They won't change their process to fit your software. You have to adapt it to theirs.

this is the most important thing to come to terms with in healthcare computering. the way they do things is wrong and you will need to handle it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Also, good luck accommodating every hospitals broken-rear end business process. They won't change their process to fit your software. You have to adapt it to theirs.

This is my job.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are people irl who think the problems in healthcare are that providers aren't given enough money lmao.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Shaggar posted:

there are people irl who think the problems in healthcare are that providers aren't given enough money lmao.

dagnabbit! if only obama would let doctors be paid several millions each year! then only the good doctors would be left over!

whats that? poor people? who cares about them!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

This group includes a large number of older doctors.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

This group includes a large number of older people.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I don't think people realize how loving stupid and awful the boomers really were/are.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

I don't think people realize how loving stupid and awful the boomers really were/are.

I can't wait until 90% of the GDP is spent on keeping their desiccated husks alive.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait until 90% of the GDP is spent on keeping their desiccated husks alive.

The answer to all the worlds problems has already been posted recently in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEklVDlqwbQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

The answer to all the worlds problems has already been posted recently in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEklVDlqwbQ

what is that video made with?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

what is that video made with?

I have no idea i just found it and it had "oxygene" as the song so id figure it was worth posting

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rexicon1 posted:

dagnabbit! if only obama would let doctors be paid several millions each year! then only the good doctors would be left over!

whats that? poor people? who cares about them!

lol if you think that doctorpay is at all a significant cost to providing care

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol if you think that doctorpay is at all a significant cost to providing care

no no no youngin, why would anyone want to be a doctor if you don't receive the maximum most efficient amount of money for the time spent! money is the only thing that is making me go into debt for tens of thousands of years after med school!

• Locked thread