Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Windows-only games hopefully will come with dosbox or something for the Mac gamers. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So here's what I'm wondering.. once Lucasarts is on GOG, is there any publisher people are still hoping for to come to the service?

I think Lucasarts was the last big "white whale" of gaming they were after.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Missile boat with the speed booster (SLAM?), diverting all laser energy to engines, and stocked with several hundred concussion missiles etc was some of the most fun I've had.

For me it's the opposite. I love how vulnerable you feel when piloting the unshielded TIEs. You're in constant fear of being blown away by a turbo-laser barrage or a concussion missile, and yet the game never feels unfair and is rarely frustrating. That sort of balance is what makes TIE Fighter unique among the space sims that I have played.

Once the TIE Advanced shows up the game starts to vacillate between trivially easy and a tedious sort of frustration. Dogfights against other advanced TIEs take forever because of the extreme maneuverability and strong shields. The Missle Boat missions play out like bonus stages.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Typical Pubbie posted:

For me it's the opposite. I love how vulnerable you feel when piloting the unshielded TIEs.

Nothing more bananas than clearing a minefield in a T/F.

edit: There better be a TIE Fighter thread tomorrow when the game goes live.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macnbc posted:

So here's what I'm wondering.. once Lucasarts is on GOG, is there any publisher people are still hoping for to come to the service?

Tommy the Intern will be missed, but when Disney demands blood in the contract you deliver it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

macnbc posted:

Their 'big five' were EA, Square-Enix, Lucasarts and the two they don't have yet, 2K Games and Microsoft.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Serve the Emperor Above All Others

Die Rebel scum!

The end result of almost every mission

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nothing more bananas than clearing a minefield in a T/F.

Let's see how a real ace pilot clears a minefield :smug:

Alpha 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon! :gonk:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

macnbc posted:

Segasoft! Sadly nobody ever talks about Segasoft, but they are an important page of PC gaming history and games like Emperor of the Fading Suns should be available for everyone to play and see how cool it was.

I have been waiting to have a bit of time to make a grassroot campaign and bring attention to as many people about that studio's works so we can have a push of people voting for it on the GOG wishlist. Hopefully soon.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never got to play X-Wing or TIE Fighter growing up, do I need a joystick?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

It's preferable.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You really do. I remember destroying a ball mouse trying to play TIE fighter.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

macnbc posted:

I'd like to see id's catalog on there but that's probably more impossible than Lucasarts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

It really helps. I imagine a gamepad can probably get reasonably close but it just doesn't feel the same.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

axeil posted:

Serve the Emperor Above All Others

In X-Wing you get medals for doing bonus objectives.

In TIE-Fighter, the Emperor loving lightning bolts a tattoo on you. :black101:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

^^^ Yeah, been playing 2 and while it's nice that there are more vehicles, variety of maps, the core combat and mission structure just isn't as much fun. Deck of 52 Forever. ^^^

I love a Lucasarts game with a Road Rash combat system AND Mark Hamil V/O

I'm playing the original off and on and I hate the map so so much. I just cheated to get the vehicles so I could fly everywhere.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Typical Pubbie posted:

For me it's the opposite. I love how vulnerable you feel when piloting the unshielded TIEs. You're in constant fear of being blown away by a turbo-laser barrage or a concussion missile, and yet the game never feels unfair and is rarely frustrating. That sort of balance is what makes TIE Fighter unique among the space sims that I have played.

Once the TIE Advanced shows up the game starts to vacillate between trivially easy and a tedious sort of frustration. Dogfights against other advanced TIEs take forever because of the extreme maneuverability and strong shields. The Missle Boat missions play out like bonus stages.

I loved any ship with quad lasers that you could link together because then you could oneshot certain ships. Even the basic TIE Fighter was fun because of its rip-roaring engines.

Conversely, the Z95 headhutner, the Alliance's basic dogfighter, I remember was always a drag to pilot in the later series because it was so middle of the road boring. I'd rather give up shields and missile tubes for the speed and maneuverability of a TIE.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

I loved any ship with quad lasers that you could link together because then you could oneshot certain ships. Even the basic TIE Fighter was fun because of its rip-roaring engines.

Conversely, the Z95 headhutner, the Alliance's basic dogfighter, I remember was always a drag to pilot in the later series because it was so middle of the road boring. I'd rather give up shields and missile tubes for the speed and maneuverability of a TIE.

Yeah X-Wing Alliance has a couple missions in a Z-95 and it's terrible. I'd rather take a friggin Y-Wing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I literally just dropped $10 on buying Rogue Leader for my GameCube because I felt like shooting down some Star Wars ships, so I'm pretty stoked about X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Shame TIE Fighter had so few Interceptor missions, though.

Also, please don't speak ill of the Y-wing. :colbert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Can anyone recommend a joystick? I wouldn't really know where to begin with getting one as I've never owned one myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gobblecoque posted:

Can anyone recommend a joystick? I wouldn't really know where to begin with getting one as I've never owned one myself.

I've had good fun with my CH Products 568 Combatstick. CH Product's stuff is really good in general, because you can use the software to merge a bunch of their stuff together into one single device recognised by games (say a joystick and the seperate HOTAS throttle for Mechwarrior or X-Wing Alliance).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

macnbc posted:

I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that Microsoft Studios was one of the big names that GOG teased along with LucasArts a few years back. They had some cool stuff like Freelancer and Crimson Skies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Anything from Saitek is good. I have one from a bunch of years ago when joysticks were still made without a million buttons everywhere.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gobblecoque posted:

We played on this badboy.

Also, I made a complete custom campaign in which the Empire is trying to stop the Rebels from smuggling the SPAM knock-off Treat all over the galaxy while simultaneously delivering your own legit SPAM. I couldn't figure out how to make all the capital ships not just appear in a big ball in the center of the map. I left it like that, so every match was just all the ships spawning at the same coordinates and the just blowing up after a few seconds.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

I need to dig through all my computer junk and see if I have my .PLT files somewhere.

You could also copy them and rename them, and your wingmen would be clones of the .PLT files in later missions.
I think if a wingman got killed it'd actually delete the other players pilot files.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You could also copy them and rename them, and your wingmen would be clones of the .PLT files in later missions.
I think if a wingman got killed it'd actually delete the other players pilot files.

That existed in X-Wing and not the later games.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Sidewinder was the standard for at least a decade before people started using joysticks for actual flight sims.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is your rock solid, satisfying as hell joystick that does everything you would ever want for anything short of a fanatical flight sim aficionado. It's got a nice weight, will sit on your lap or table and feels right on either. It's inexpensive and pretty much your best option.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is your rock solid, satisfying as hell joystick that does everything you would ever want for anything short of a fanatical flight sim aficionado. It's got a nice weight, will sit on your lap or table and feels right on either. It's inexpensive and pretty much your best option.

It also will lose its center/dead zone and go bad slowly over time because it's very cheaply made.

Just a warning.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

It also will lose its center/dead zone and go bad slowly over time because it's very cheaply made.

Just a warning.

Well by that time you'll know if you want a big boy joystick or not.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

We played on this badboy.

The Gravis Gamepad! Yesssss.

As far as other publishers go, I'd also like to see a few that were mentioned: 2K Games, Fox Interactive, SegaSoft, and especially Microsoft Game Studios for Crimson Skies, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, Fury3 and Hellbender (the sequels to Terminal Velocity), etc.

Oh and they need Epic Games. If I could get GoG releases of One Must Fall 2097 and Jazz Jackrabbit, I would lose my poo poo.

So yeah, they got a few more publishers to sign up for, but LucasArts is a BIG milestone. Just like when they brought EA on board.

Also, I was reading through this on the GoG forums and...what the hell happened to XIII and Re-Volt?? Licensing hell? I could have sworn I bought them, but they aren't in my Steam or GoG accounts at all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
By the way, In case you can't handle the heat (like i did when playing as an actual Tie Fighter as a kid) You could always switch god mode at will at the cost of earning no points in your mission and just going through the story in the game.

I feel like Shields always gave me leeway into doing the dangerous poo poo like bombing runs and overly aggressive tactics, the poo poo I do on easy mode in Freespace or something. For that I always admire the T/Adv over the T/D, it shows that you now have truly equal footing over the rebel scum's X-Wing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Does Microsoft have all of Bungie's back catalog? Because I have no idea where my Myth CDs ended up now. Probably upstairs.

As for this Lucas Arts announcement, really looking forward to playing Dark Forces again. Though maybe it hasn't aged well, I remember the fun of pitching thermal detonators down the stairs.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
I just checked the Letīs Play Tie Fighter thread from a few years back, but sadly all the awesome pictures are gone.

For the uninitiated, the letīs play involved ice-cream, a tug ship best-buddy, furry murder, and a revolt against Vader himself. "Your empire sucks!"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2313942&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Jet Jaguar posted:

Does Microsoft have all of Bungie's back catalog? Because I have no idea where my Myth CDs ended up now. Probably upstairs.

Oh poo poo. Add Myth: The Fallen Lords, Myth II, and Oni to my list as well.

I sent Kewpuh a message to see if he can change the thread's subtitle to reflect the big release tomorrow.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is the Thrustmaster HOTAS any good? I like the big red button on the top of the stick that screams THIS ONE IS FOR SHOOTING MISSILES.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gehenomm posted:

I just checked the Letīs Play Tie Fighter thread from a few years back, but sadly all the awesome pictures are gone.

For the uninitiated, the letīs play involved ice-cream, a tug ship best-buddy, furry murder, and a revolt against Vader himself. "Your empire sucks!"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2313942&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

LPArchive is your friend : http://lparchive.org/Tie-Fighter/Update%201/

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

The Gravis Gamepad! Yesssss.

As far as other publishers go, I'd also like to see a few that were mentioned: 2K Games, Fox Interactive, SegaSoft, and especially Microsoft Game Studios for Crimson Skies, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, Fury3 and Hellbender (the sequels to Terminal Velocity), etc.

Oh and they need Epic Games. If I could get GoG releases of One Must Fall 2097 and Jazz Jackrabbit, I would lose my poo poo.

So yeah, they got a few more publishers to sign up for, but LucasArts is a BIG milestone. Just like when they brought EA on board.

Also, I was reading through this on the GoG forums and...what the hell happened to XIII and Re-Volt?? Licensing hell? I could have sworn I bought them, but they aren't in my Steam or GoG accounts at all.

I believe the thing with Re-Volt was that the game came with a mod installed that improved some part of the game, but the authors of the mod weren't credited anywhere, so there was a dispute over it. This post on the GOG forum explains it better.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

As for this Lucas Arts announcement, really looking forward to playing Dark Forces again. Though maybe it hasn't aged well, I remember the fun of pitching thermal detonators down the stairs.

Microsoft only kept Halo. Bungie still owns Marathon. Take 2 got Myth and Oni when Microsoft bought Bungie.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOb3DlB7WA

Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition
Star Wars: TIE Fighter Special Edition

$9.99 each.
Includes both "1994 and 1998 versions". At least for TIE Fighter, the page for X-Wing only mentions the Collector's CD-ROM version
:gizz:

e: Also, it's complete blasphemy, but the 360 controller works surprisingly well with these games and requires little setup :shobon:

Holy gently caress, they can have my :10bux: and I'll stop complaining about Disney's anti-commodification fetish for a while. I think it's about time I should pick up a HOTAS too. Why didn't this happen before I spent my money on a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

macnbc posted:

Pre-Unreal Epic Megagames. I will not stop shouting about this until it happens.