Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's not hugely important, but Galbedir's a Bosmer, not an Altmer.

Also, all this respecting the Mages Guild Oath bit about not stealing from other members is making me feel sort of guilty for almost always stealing those filled soul gems on Galbedir's desk when she goes downstairs during that quest. In my defence though, they're worth a fortune.

Recruiting/debt collection combo sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

There's an ebony shortsword just lying behind one of the gratings in the Arena sewers in Vivec. Free for the taking, assuming you can kill some rats and maybe a skeleton or two.

There's another ebony shortsword stuck in the ground behind the spot where Rethan Manor will be built just west of Balmora. It's a bit of a trek but you can just walk north along the coast from Seyda Neen and grab it.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Antistar01 posted:

Also, all this respecting the Mages Guild Oath bit about not stealing from other members is making me feel sort of guilty for almost always stealing those filled soul gems on Galbedir's desk when she goes downstairs during that quest. In my defense though, they're worth a fortune.

I've also not yet seen anyone choose to not take just about everything valuable from the 'Supply' chest - which, presumably, is meant to be used in moderation and only as needed.
Player characters generally never cease to be murder-hoboes, even if they're sometimes more civilized than usual.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Do the Mage's Guild quests for now. The quest rewards are actually more useful for a non-caster, but there are still some good utility items.

If you want to stick with shortblades try Wayn at the Fighter's Guild in Balmora, however Long Blade is probably a better long-term idea as you can buff strength without overleveling.

Honestly, I enjoy this meandering style far more than a Playing the Right Way LP. Keep it up.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

The problem is your whining. I'm going with Long Blade, it's my choice, so deal with it.

Well, all right. I say enter the egg mine since you're right there, and if that goes well, try your luck in the Tomb of Nope.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, all right. I say enter the egg mine since you're right there, and if that goes well, try your luck in the Tomb of Nope.

Seconding this, as it's what I was just thinking.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Tomb please!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
My vote is for the Recruitment/Debt Collection double quest.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antistar01 posted:

It's not hugely important, but Galbedir's a Bosmer, not an Altmer.

She seems awful snooty and annoying (and golden-skinned) for a Bosmer. Aren't they normally browner than that?

Four votes to do recruitment then dues, two votes for egg mine, one vote for tomb. Voting will be open for another few hours.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

She seems awful snooty and annoying (and golden-skinned) for a Bosmer. Aren't they normally browner than that?

Wow, yeah, I was always under the impression she was Altmer as well.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nope - though Altmer mages are more common than Bosmer mages (racial affinities and all that), so I guess it's an easy mistake to make.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Guild dues and reluctant Telvanni so that you'll meet the best enemies in any RPG (I guess again)?

If you're willing to use short blades, Fighter's Guild has very nifty one that helps loads with some harder fights at the start. Dwarven Jinkblade for 1000-odd gold if I recall the price This better hit the deadline.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
Do them all in order of proximity.

e: Galbadir’s thieving tendencies should make it obvious she’s a Bosmer. :colbert:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 26, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I happen to have a copy of The Morrowind Prophecies, the guide Bethesda put out for the game after the GOTY Edition was released. It's really pretty good, and points out a lot of things while merely nudging the player in the direction of others. In general I haven't found any errors were it says that something should be present when it isn't. Until now, at least.

On page 241 (for those of you who also have a copy and are following along at home), it lists, as part of a list of Wizard lairs, that in addition to the one Skeleton Key that can be found as part of the faction quests, there are another four that can be found at any time: it lists that one each can be found on dead bodies in the Redoran and Hlaalu underworks (in the Vivec cantons? UESP lists an Underworks as being accessible through waistworks in the Hlaalu Canton, and Redoran states that there is a corpse holding a Rusty Key in their Underworks), one in the dungeon Hanud (no mention on UESP), and one in the upper level keep in Berandas (again, no mention on UESP).

I'm gonna check at least three of these locations out tonight for myself, but does anyone know if they are actually there?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I say clear out the Egg mine

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The polls are now CLOSED. The votes are in: we're off to see the Telvanni, then collect some long-overdue dues.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

So I happen to have a copy of The Morrowind Prophecies, the guide Bethesda put out for the game after the GOTY Edition was released. It's really pretty good, and points out a lot of things while merely nudging the player in the direction of others. In general I haven't found any errors were it says that something should be present when it isn't. Until now, at least.

On page 241 (for those of you who also have a copy and are following along at home), it lists, as part of a list of Wizard lairs, that in addition to the one Skeleton Key that can be found as part of the faction quests, there are another four that can be found at any time: it lists that one each can be found on dead bodies in the Redoran and Hlaalu underworks (in the Vivec cantons? UESP lists an Underworks as being accessible through waistworks in the Hlaalu Canton, and Redoran states that there is a corpse holding a Rusty Key in their Underworks), one in the dungeon Hanud (no mention on UESP), and one in the upper level keep in Berandas (again, no mention on UESP).

I'm gonna check at least three of these locations out tonight for myself, but does anyone know if they are actually there?

Checked out the Redoran and Hlaalu underworks. Not a drat thing. I'm betting the other two will be a bust too. Must have been originally written before the game was released and they removed them later.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

The polls are now CLOSED. The votes are in: we're off to see the Telvanni, then collect some long-overdue dues.

Eeeww House Telvanni. All the cool guys are in Redoran; and the Imperial Mages Guild doesn't like them either. Which is awkward for a quest later, post main story line if you keep playing.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 27, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TELVANNI FOREVER :science:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

TELVANNI FOREVER :science:

I choose the Empire. :histdowns:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just telling you N'wah why Telvanni is the best

Uncle Crassius can't compare.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just telling you N'wah why Telvanni is the best

[snip]

Uncle Crassius can't compare.

The more you know about what that image is depicting, the creepier it is.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

The more you know about what that image is depicting, the creepier it is.

Yet still more canon than CHIM.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RickVoid posted:

Yet still more canon than CHIM.

It's CHIM. Accept it.

Personally I am all for having CHIM as part of the fluff for TES. I like how Bethesda justifies mods as part of their story.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Morrowind's opening is great because it gives you a lot of leeway right off the gate. You're free, given a point towards Balmora and said 'hey, you might want to look into this, but no pressure' but otherwise dropped in a town where the quests aren't particularly difficult. It's a good indicator of the game itself. It unfolds at your own pace.

Oblivion and Skyrim both have the issue (Oblivion moreso) where their Main Quests are the Big Important Events that threaten the world with Imminent Destruction, and there is no time to go off and do your own thing... Skyrim has the other issue where a major feature is locked behind the first few stages of the main quest...

This always bugged me with Skyrim. It feels weird to knowingly forsake the whole dragon business because I just wanted to make one particular sort of character.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ghost Stromboli posted:

This always bugged me with Skyrim. It feels weird to knowingly forsake the whole dragon business because I just wanted to make one particular sort of character.

Again that is why I enjoyed the Live Another Life mod. It stopped the main quest from happening in all bar one alternate start so you could live out your life as a wizard, bandit, Thalmor spy, whatever without feeling pressure to complete the main quest because there were dragons zooming around eating people until you were ready for it.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter V: Ruins and Ash

Backtracking onto the road to Balmora and heading north. I must look a strange sight, an Orc wearing a jewelled purple robe.

Once I reach Fort Moonmoth, I head left this time.

Proceeding northward up Foyada Mamaca.

My swordsmanship is improving, at least.

Cliff racers may be a pest and a half, but they go down easily as long as you have a good arsenal of Destruction spells. This shot kind of looks like I'm trying to kung fu it out of the sky, though. :lol:

Just beyond the fort, I find a path up the side of the foyada that takes me to the Dwemer bridge leading into Molag Amur.

You're gone, mate.

I love fireball spells. It's like having your own stock of rocket grenades.

I strip the wannabe spellslinger of whatever he's carrying and loot the chests and keg on the side of the bridge.

SWEET

Molag Amur. It's like the Deadlands, only warmer and infested with cliff racers.

GEE I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES

Cool blast shield.

Unfortunately the shield closes behind me and there's no crank on the other side. Great.

Fortunately, I discover that simply using the main door from the inside puts you outside the blast shield.

Since it's dark out, I decide to take the torches from this crate and settle down for the night, maybe have a look around.

Unfortunately, I got up to have a piss and blundered into a couple of humans who didn't take kindly to my presence.

The stuff I looted from them put me over my weight limit, so I figured I may as well head back, recharge and sell what I got.

Coming back over the bridge, I discover to my embarrassment that I should have taken the Caldera turn-off instead of the foyada. Derp.

It's well past midnight by the time I bed down in the guildhall.

Next morning I sell my ill-gotten gains and score some iron boots to replace the chitin.

You know what? Forget Malacath. I'm sold on the Tribunal.

Reading a few of the books around the temple gives me this interesting sidequest I might look into later on.

OH YES

That one too please.

SCORE

I tried out the Mark spell in town.

Got it on the second try.

One feature I like about Morrowind is the ability to remove spells from your spell list you no longer need.

Refreshed, recharged and rearmed, I head back out, this time using the right road.

The moment I cross the bridge into Molag Amur, I get a faceful of ash storm.

Then a rat tries to eat me.

Something to look into later, perhaps.

I stagger on through the choking ash clouds, getting dive-bombed by cliff racers and snapped at by scribs.

Actual lava. Welcome to the Ashlands, bitches.

The constant attacks by cliff racers eventually get too much for me to withstand. ALMSIVI INTERVENTION ACTIVATE

I took a nap in the temple and was rudely awakened by a knife-wielding maniac.

A pitched battle occurs, me and a summoned ghost versus the intruder, with the Dunmer priest looking on dispassionately from the sidelines.

Aw, poo poo. OK, who called the Night Mother?

I burst out of the temple and comb the streets looking for a guard. Typical Morrowind law enforcement: break one single law and they're onto you, but when you actually need help they're nowhere to be found.

Bjorca: Help! Guard! I've been attacked!
Hlaalu Guard: *keeps walking*
Bjorca: Hey, over here, drat you!

Bjorca: What do you know about the Dark Brotherhood?

Hlaalu Guard:

Bjorca: Where do I find this Apelles Marius?

Hlaalu Guard:

After a long trek back into the Ashlands...

I've found where the debtor is hiding. Now where's the Telvanni dude?

It's very, very easy to get lost out here.

Here he is!

Bjorca: I bet your mother regrets not slapping some manners into you when you were growing up.

Bjorca: Are you as breakable as most elves or shall I soften you up with a warhammer first?

I find Llarar Bereloth on the upper level, and he's as unpleasant as the rest of his companions. Still, I have a job to do.

Bjorca: I'm here on behalf of the Balmora Mage's Guild. We'd like to invite you to join our organization...

Llarar Bereloth: No. Go find someone else to pay your guildmaster dues.

Bjorca: I bet you couldn't cast your way out of a cloth sack anyway.

Llarar Bereloth: You are pathetic.

Bjorca: JOIN US OR DIE.

Llarar Bereloth: Get lost.

Bjorca: Er... I mean... surely a strong, handsome Telvanni wizard like yourself would like to join forces with a well-connected organization?

Llarar Bereloth: Get lost. Now.

Bjorca: I'll sleep with you.

Llarar Bereloth: NO.

Bjorca: Oh well. I tried.

All that bribing, threatening and cajoling has made me tired, so I take a rest AND FINALLY LEVEL UP!

I assign the points to strength (for more carry weight), intelligence (i can haz moar magicka plox?) and willpower.

Since he wouldn't play ball, orders are that Bereloth has to die.

And die he does.

Next chapter: collecting debts from a recalcitrant mage.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I only just realised that your sword is infact a Claymore not a long sword. Very Orcy.

Good job surviving the Dark Brotherhood ambush too, if you were a light armour user that guy gives you some great stuff but I guess for us now it's just money in the pocket. And incase you didn't already know the quest you get from that is part of the Tribunal expansion which is supposed to happen post-main quest.

Once you get to level 5 or so you should go swimming off the coast of Hla Oad, it's one of the things I like to do around that level and you may find some interesting stuff to do

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Never doubt the power of cliffracers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rXsrZRchQ

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

I only just realised that your sword is infact a Claymore not a long sword. Very Orcy.

Using it builds the Long Blade skill, though.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

ScreamingLlama posted:

Using it builds the Long Blade skill, though.

So claymores are Long weapons of the Bladed variety. Doesn't make them a longsword.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

What do those three spells actually do? I've never touched this game, though I'm definitely thinking about picking it up once I have the money and have found some quality of life mods.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spoilering just in case Recall teleports you to the place you Marked, Almsivi Intervention teleports you to the nearest Tribunal temple. All extremely useful stuff - that can be easily gotten on items.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

edit: I didn't read.

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 28, 2014

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Arcade Rabbit posted:

What do those three spells actually do? I've never touched this game, though I'm definitely thinking about picking it up once I have the money and have found some quality of life mods.

Back in the days before map fast travel all we had was Mark, Recall and Almsivi/Divine Intervention.

And thats the way we liked it ya young whippersnappers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the in-universe fast travel system by using vehicles and striders as opposed to plot bullshit teleportation.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

anilEhilated posted:

There's also the in-universe fast travel system by using vehicles and striders as opposed to plot bullshit teleportation.

Totally modded my Skyrim so fast travel was disabled and added in a bunch more carts and boats to fast travel around the map. It's amazing how big the provinces are once you remove your ability to teleport around.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

Totally modded my Skyrim so fast travel was disabled and added in a bunch more carts and boats to fast travel around the map. It's amazing how big the provinces are once you remove your ability to teleport around.

When I play Skyrim, I try to keep fast travel to a minimum and go on foot or by horse or (werewolf) beast form. It's fun to just canter along on horseback and watch the scenery go by.

Morrowind is the same; I only used teleport spells to get out of danger. As old as the game is, the environment is still pretty cool.

e: plus there's the Athletics and Acrobatics skills to consider

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

When I play Skyrim, I try to keep fast travel to a minimum and go on foot or by horse or (werewolf) beast form. It's fun to just canter along on horseback and watch the scenery go by.

Morrowind is the same; I only used teleport spells to get out of danger. As old as the game is, the environment is still pretty cool.

e: plus there's the Athletics and Acrobatics skills to consider

I think you will find that you will be using Mark and Recall a lot in dungeons to scout ahead or to lure enemies into areas so it's easier to kill them. They are insanely useful spells to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The big disappointment about athletics and acrobatics is that, the devs never made environments where you gained an advantage from using them. That is, there are no vertically designed tombs/towns and there is a severe detriment of loot you can only get by platforming. In my mind, acrobatics should be very useful for a cat burglar but neither the toolset the game gives nor the environment allows for such a fantasy/roleplay.

• Locked thread