Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

keep the rationalisations coming, i'm almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Club with "Official Global Noodle Sponsor" in cash grab shocker

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

The Big Taff Man posted:

Small time to be offered a million to play a match? Wish I was small time

Didnt Liverpool do something similar a few years ago

I think there were a couple of high profile testimonials since falling out of the CL in 2010, but I don't remember any money grab friendlies during the regular season. Liverpool usually had Europa League congestion in the way.

I might be wrong.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Strawman posted:

keep the rationalisations coming, i'm almost there

just imagine the trophy

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There's really no reason not to play those matches if you are Man Utd. Go ahead and make some money, appease some foreign plastics, and give your bench players a run out.

But they do this at Old Trafford every weekend?

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Big Taff Man posted:

Small time to be offered a million to play a match? Wish I was small time

Didnt Liverpool do something similar a few years ago

loving lol

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Manchester united, giants of English football, consistent domination for nearly 3 decades, European champions on numerous occasions, sell out to 80,000 fans every week

being reduced to friendly matches in the middle of the season, Im loving laughing, Would matt busby have stood for this????

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

It's shameful that neither managed to qualify for the CL but clubs do this all the time?

I don't think they do, though?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Real Madrid hosted the MLS all stars once in the winter

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Did they buy anything in the gift shop?

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I'm really not sure why this is controversial.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Yeah I don't really get why this is bugging some of you so much. Italian clubs play friendlies with other clubs during every break, it's just rarely this high profile.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I don't think it's "bugging" anyone, although if the MLS all stars played Madrid there's a chance someone got bugged.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah I don't really get why this is bugging some of you so much. Italian clubs play friendlies with other clubs during every break, it's just rarely this high profile.

Two problems I have with it:

a) If they're doing it to keep up fitness levels and play their strongest team, then they're giving up the advantage Liverpool proved to be effective last year, all for a tiny bit more money. That seems really really dumb, especially if someone gets injured.

b) If they're not going to play any first teamers, it's a shameless money grab. I'm sure DPRK's top bacon brand will be able to cough up the same money

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gigi Galli posted:

There isn't a break in the premier league though. They're even going to play the match on a date that has English cup matches happening

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm loving amped for the first annual Mister Potato Bowl live from Old Trafford.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Lmao can we stop pretending this isnt hosed up and demeaning?

Imagine the Seattle Seahawks playing the Toronto Argonauts (AC Milan level handeggers) in Japan or some poo poo during the first week of the playoffs that's how ridiculous this is.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Imagine the Seattle Seahawks playing the Toronto Argonauts (AC Milan level handeggers) in Japan or some poo poo during the first week of the playoffs that's how ridiculous this is.

which team is toronto?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Umm actually it's real smart and a good way to make money and not any sign of desperation and decline. And everyone does it anyway during the middle of the season, just look at

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

blue footed boobie posted:

Umm actually it's real smart and a good way to make money and not any sign of desperation and decline. And everyone does it anyway during the middle of the season, just look at

MLS

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm loving amped for the first annual Mister Potato Bowl live from Old Trafford.

It's going to be live from Abu Dhabi or Dubai or something mate.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Shrapnig posted:

It's going to be live from Abu Dhabi or Dubai or something mate.

Sounds like a *pulls off sunglasses* Party in the UAE

*pulls off second pair of sunglasses provided by Sunglasses Hut, the official Sunglasses Hut of Manchester United*

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Sounds like a *pulls off sunglasses* Party in the UAE

*pulls off second pair of sunglasses provided by Sunglasses Hut, the official Sunglasses Hut of Manchester United*

Lol.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Having not actually watched Liverpool play how bad are they since I'm going to see them in person tomorrow and last time that happened Newcastle conceded 6 goals

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Jose posted:

Having not actually watched Liverpool play how bad are they since I'm going to see them in person tomorrow and last time that happened Newcastle conceded 6 goals

Bad. Really, really bad. The usual circus defending, but more or less completely toothless (heh) in attack as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzoAaWm6-lo

Happy halloween

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Paging tom to the thread, please respond.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29858557

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

Jose posted:

All of the hideous defensive errors from last year minus any attacking threat, manned by an over hyped Italian forward, pretty much Sunderland 2013-14.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

beheading jonjo as a prank is pretty full on.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Gary Neville had an article on how the league has evolved in regards to a lack of emphasis on defending. He talks about the training drills they did when he first broke into the United squad. It's a good read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...oming-back.html

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mcmanaman thinks Gerrard is still Liverpool's best and most important player "by miles".

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Gary Neville had an article on how the league has evolved in regards to a lack of emphasis on defending. He talks about the training drills they did when he first broke into the United squad. It's a good read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...oming-back.html

He's absolutely right and I think it applies everywhere, not just in England. When David the clown Luiz is one of the worlds best defenders he you know that part of the game is taking a back seat. He doesn't really touch in it but you have to wonder how much of it is motivated by trying to entertain vs trying to win games. At its heart football is entertainment, after all.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Someone should tell Chelsea that

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

He's absolutely right and I think it applies everywhere, not just in England. When David the clown Luiz is one of the worlds best defenders he you know that part of the game is taking a back seat. He doesn't really touch in it but you have to wonder how much of it is motivated by trying to entertain vs trying to win games. At its heart football is entertainment, after all.

So Mourinho will break the record for European Cups in the next 5 years as every other big team prioritizes beautiful football over pragmatism and solidity? Wonderful.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brony Car posted:

So Mourinho will break the record for European Cups in the next 5 years as every other big team prioritizes beautiful football over pragmatism and solidity? Wonderful.

I think this already happened? Anyway someone make a November thread.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I think this already happened? Anyway someone make a November thread.

can i do it?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pantsuit posted:

can i do it?

Anyone can do it~~

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thassa great finish

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

no evening kick off? gay imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

no evening kick off? gay imo

bayern vs dortmund kicks off in 4 minutes and coule be pretty good but thats a discussion for another thread

• Locked thread