Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

I had this on a CD-rom compilation called 150 games. Don't know where I got it but it owned.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

I had this fast food restaurant simulator for the Amiga 500 that came for free with a game magazine. I've forgotten the name, but it can't be anything original. Played that thing forever, never heard of it elsewhere.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

Not bought but rented Super Putty for SNES, a loving baffling mess of an unplayable game.

Years later I found it was a normal British amiga game. It hurts me to think about it.

This is exactly my experience with it too.

I tried to play Omikron: The Nomad Soul as a kid. It was a poor choice.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I just remembered this co-op thing I used to play in the arcades as a kid, don't know the name. It was a driving game but it was also a lightgun shooter, like one player drove the car and the other one fired the guns. I think you were either cops or gangsters.

Looking back on it I feel like this is actually an extremely awesome concept and they should do a remake to encourage people to brave the blinding sunlight in order to spend time actually hanging out with real human beings

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Lucky and Wild

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Spaceward Ho!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That looks cool as poo poo.

My submission: Koudelka http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koudelka

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Journey to Silius. It was going to be a Terminator game but Sunsoft lost the license or something. The music owned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Ztsa5mzA0

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Stay Tooned

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAj-hEs5b8

owned

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Liero was a rad DOS game we used to play all the time on the computers at school, it was basically a real-time version of Worms with a ton of customization. Most of the times we just turned on infinite ammo and used the wonky physics to turn machine guns in makeshift jetpacks by firing at the ground :iia:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu3jzhwK60A&t=20s

Warheads SE was the poo poo growing up. Even though it was shareware, somehow the shareware license got screwed up and let me do fully-unlocked game stuff, like make custom weapons. I remember my friend and I crafting a missile that would burrow through planets, then just straight up make a new planet when it hit the other side, then burrow through that and make another planet, splitting after each planet was made. Eventually the whole screen was planets, and on the last stage of the missile it would turn all the planets into fire, killing everyone still alive, including the person who shot it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Liero was a rad DOS game we used to play all the time on the computers at school, it was basically a real-time version of Worms with a ton of customization. Most of the times we just turned on infinite ammo and used the wonky physics to turn machine guns in makeshift jetpacks by firing at the ground :iia:

Liero was loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW6f5KSXQ8

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
there was this platformer on ps1 where you smashed dudes around with a grappling beam and had to kill little green men. one stage had you smashing enemies onto spikes to make platforms and a guy who exploded if you grabbed him. what was it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mind the walrus posted:

Video Painter was ahead of its time:

Holy gently caress, I haven't thought of this in 20 goddamned years.

Solomonic posted:

I just remembered this co-op thing I used to play in the arcades as a kid, don't know the name. It was a driving game but it was also a lightgun shooter, like one player drove the car and the other one fired the guns. I think you were either cops or gangsters.

Looking back on it I feel like this is actually an extremely awesome concept and they should do a remake to encourage people to brave the blinding sunlight in order to spend time actually hanging out with real human beings

Hell yeah, Lucky and Wild was the poo poo.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Gauss gun plus grappling hook was really fun, I miss Liero

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

mind the walrus posted:

Video Painter was ahead of its time:

Hey I had that! Or something very much like it.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Theres also a remake called LieroX that allowed you to make mods super easily. I remember turning weapon reload to 0 and having ridiculous spam fights with a naruto weapon pack :allears:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
For content, I played some game on the NES that involved some doctor guy and moving pipes. There was an alternate game mode where he sleep walks and you gotta guide him to safety.

Another game kind of in that same vein was Rocko's Modern life on the SNES, but you had to protect his dog Spunky.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Nobody loving remembers Zug The Dinosaur for DOS.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Not super obscure, but I remember having Drakkhen for the Super Nintendo in 1994. It was a pretty generic RPG, but it had an overworld map that involved a first person view and polygon graphics. In 1994, those were exciting things for a console game to have!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I got this game off a MacAddict CD once, it was like a Myst/Manhole-esque adventure game except you just like wake up and go to school and stuff. You could encounter an alien and also Busta Rhymes, and you would lose HP if he blew his smoke in your face. It had low res black and white graphics. I've been trying to figure out the name for years.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
There was the Fairchild Chanel F. It was the first real cartridge system (actual ROMs instead of just jumpers). Black and white, and it had a really weird joystick, it was a stick with a knob that you could kind of tilt on top.

For the NES, we had Star Voyager. I think it tried to be a serious space sim. In practice, you flew through a lot of empty systems and landed on barren planets until you ran out of fuel and had to reset the game. I think there was some kind of actual plot involving enemy ships, a mothership, and upgrades on the planets (one time we landed on a planet with statues, but there was no difference afterwards). But there was no guidance towards anything, just blundering around the galaxy.

Oh, and on PC, there was a little game called CD-Man. It was basically an unfinished Pac-Man clone with hi-res 16 color graphics and bloody deaths.

And Dangerous Dave, but that was an early John Romero game, so people have heard of that one. It was nice for showing off a fancy new VGA card.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Kikka posted:

there was this platformer on ps1 where you smashed dudes around with a grappling beam and had to kill little green men. one stage had you smashing enemies onto spikes to make platforms and a guy who exploded if you grabbed him. what was it

Wild 9.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
Did anyone ever play anything on ten.net around like 1996? It had duke nukem, quake, total annihilation and some other things. But it also had some freeware games which were all multiplayer. One was a game where you had a spaceship and were on a planet and would shoot weapons at other spaceships positioned at other planets. Some weapons would get caught in the planets graviton all pull and stuff so you had to power/aim them just right to loop thru space and hit the other players. I think you could also make your own weapons so you could make rockets that would shoot thru a planet and multiply and come out with tons of warheads. Also sometimes they wouldn't work right and you'd just gently caress yourself up. Anyone know what I'm talking about

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
There was this coop game for snes where you played as mickey and donald going through a fantasy world, both of the characters had different costumes they could pick you and it would give them different powers like kirby, the game also let you pick up blocks and each other and troll which was pretty fun. It was entirely in japanese and i don't think it got an american release, i remember the title saying MICKEY III or something like that

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu3jzhwK60A&t=20s

Warheads SE was the poo poo growing up. Even though it was shareware, somehow the shareware license got screwed up and let me do fully-unlocked game stuff, like make custom weapons. I remember my friend and I crafting a missile that would burrow through planets, then just straight up make a new planet when it hit the other side, then burrow through that and make another planet, splitting after each planet was made. Eventually the whole screen was planets, and on the last stage of the missile it would turn all the planets into fire, killing everyone still alive, including the person who shot it.

Ah yeah this was it

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Scorched Earth in between sessions of ZZT kept me from doing homework back in 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw_mpjKlpg

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

the chief v2 posted:

Ah yeah this was it

I'm all about answering questions before they're asked

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I wouldn't say the game itself OWNED but, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkk8sVajqE

Let's just say I have a soft spot for it.

D/Generation and Onesimus were legit good though. Also ONE for the PS1, so fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

populous: the beginning

played it online for years even though i was never very good at it. still waiting for a worthy successor because black & white just doesn't cut it

lonesomedwarf posted:

captain comic

usually the music from captain comic would randomly pop into my head but i cant remember it now that im trying to. i never finished any of these games

think i made it to level 2 at most. i was really bad at games as a kid

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 1, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Ultimate domain.

Everyone has heard of scorched earth that don't count ya goons

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I played this a lot when I was 5-6. The suggested age range on the box makes me think the people at that company didn't give kids much credit in the brains department.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hah I never noticed the suggested age. Yeah that's insulting as poo poo to 7-14 year-olds.

This one was my poo poo. Faggy-rear end gnomes and Santa elves and poo poo with butterfly nets.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cell posted:

Enemy Nations was a very highly-rated RTS from '97, but I've never met anyone who's actually played it. It's freeware now (http://www.enemynations.com/index.html) and the developer makes enterprise software these days. I guess it doesn't really hold up nearly 15 years later, but I always enjoyed playing it.

holy poo poo i played this for hours on end when i was ten years old

it gives you a great feeling of setting up and expanding your colony on an unknown planet, and the economic system was surprisingly sophisticated, but the enemy AI is totally broken and either rushes you right at the beginning or does nothing at all

i remember taking a really long time to place my rocket ship to make sure it was close to both coal/iron deposits and forests. it was one of those weird games that was light-years ahead of its time but at the same time was pretty much broken

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

proof of concept posted:

I played this a lot when I was 5-6. The suggested age range on the box makes me think the people at that company didn't give kids much credit in the brains department.

These were great by comparison. Endgame of Operation Neptune was creepy as hell too with the mutant sea critters.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I used to play Galactix with my dad as a kid. I would control the keyboard, he'd control the mouse.

Good times.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

lonesomedwarf posted:

captain comic

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
while it's not as rare did anyone get really into Star Wars Pod Racer on N64?

Neva Kee was extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i bet none of you ever even heard of Aztec, a nineties russian RTS where you could play as alternate-history aztecs, russians or asians

i played this so much even though it's objectively probably not very good

• Locked thread