Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Where did that come from? That's the sort of poo poo that should sink a career.

Is it new? If it is I eagerly await fireworks (and bitter disappointment).

http://www.news.com.au/national/put...2-1227115501488

Of course he's made the whistle 'reasonable' by saying it's appropriate in some situations. I presume these include 'when they just won't shut up', 'when they talk back', and 'when they look at me that way. you know'.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bold the whole thing:

A QUEENSLAND domestic violence hotline has been so overwhelmed by women calling for help that some calls have had to go unanswered.

The startling revelation was made by DV Connect Queensland, which also told a public hearing of the Senate inquiry into domestic violence in Australia yesterday that the situation was so dire now that unless a woman had broken bones her situation was not considered “serious”.

The organisation can handle up to 120 calls daily but on Wednesday was snowed under with more than 300 calls seeking help.

DV Connect CEO Di Mangan said not only was the volume of calls increasing but the women’s situations were worsening.

“Most of them are serious to the point now where you think if someone doesn’t have fractures or serious injuries we’re actually starting to see them as not so serious,” Ms Mangan said. “We’re beyond capacity in Queensland.”

She said workers had to juggle up to nine cases at once and were forced on Wednesday to let calls go unanswered.

“I just had to send an email to the workers yesterday, for the first time, (saying) ‘and I hate to have to say this to you as a work group but you have to leave calls’,” Ms Mangan said. “I’ve been watching this trend going up over the year.”

During the hearing, Liberal senator Cory Bernardi sparked anger from Greens senator Larissa Waters when he told representatives of the state’s oldest women’s refuge they were not “experts” and there were times it was appropriate for a man to put his partner in a headlock.

Women’s House Shelta’s Barbara Crossing told the hearing a man had a protection order taken out against his partner using evidence she bit him under the arm.

Ms Crossing, a support worker since 1991, said the injury could only have been caused by the man having the woman in a headlock.

Senator Bernardi said police considered headlocks an “appropriate means of deferring an aggressor”
and Ms Crossing was second-guessing the police who were the “experts”.

Senator Waters said Ms Crossing was the expert and a headlock was an example of domestic violence.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That has seriously taken the wind out of my sails.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I would really like a day to go by where Lambie is the dumbest thing in politics. It's not a high bar guys.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Hun today is full of condemnation that people would BOO a PRIME MINISTER at a FUNERAL! I counted three outraged letters to the Editor and an email. But most of them are more worried about racehorses and snipes at Dan Andrews and his Victorian registration plate:

Yes, that was two days ago, and yes they're still going on about it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sanguine posted:

Where did that come from? That's the sort of poo poo that should sink a career.

Cory Bernardi's entire career is built on saying poo poo as reprehensible as that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IslamoNazi posted:

I would really like a day to go by where Lambie is the dumbest thing in politics. It's not a high bar guys.

Same.

She's digging her heals in about the defence forces pay increase, I wonder where her conviction lies re: domestic abuse?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
This is probably of limited interest to most people here, but I find it frustrating as hell.

The Adelaide City Council (in election caretaker mode) released some data about the controversial Frome Street bike lane at the request of The Advertiser and InDaily. The data shows an increase in cyclist traffic of 50%, with cyclists representing 16% of total traffic while on other streets its 2-3%.

You would think that people would use this data to form on opinion on the success of the new bike lane, and that this would be a good thing. But as you all know, nothing gets Liberals, old people, and conservative assholes more upset than bicycles and the idea of people getting "something for nothing".

Several of the Lord Mayoral candidates have publicly criticised the release of this information, because apparently people forming their own opinion about things based on evidence is "inappropriate" and "giving a leg up to the Lord Mayor". How unfortunate and unfair that the data, evidence and facts don't support their stupid uninformed opinion! How dare reality contradict their warped view of the world!?

It's the most frustrating and backwards attitude, and it's depressing as it finally feels like Adelaide it starting to make some progress, things here have changed enormously over the last few years. I just don't know that I could be bothered dealing with another term of going nowhere, or potentially going backwards. Even the most simple things are opposed by many of the candidates, like having food trucks set up in Victoria Square once a fortnight, or the multi-purpose outdoor venue that operated in Victoria Square during the Fringe Festival to draw crowds away from the East End. It's putting vested business interests above building a city that people can actually live in, and ironically small businesses will never be successful if the CBD isn't a place that people want to visit.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Palmersaurus posted:

Bold the whole thing:

A QUEENSLAND domestic violence hotline has been so overwhelmed by women calling for help that some calls have had to go unanswered.

The startling revelation was made by DV Connect Queensland, which also told a public hearing of the Senate inquiry into domestic violence in Australia yesterday that the situation was so dire now that unless a woman had broken bones her situation was not considered “serious”.

The organisation can handle up to 120 calls daily but on Wednesday was snowed under with more than 300 calls seeking help.

DV Connect CEO Di Mangan said not only was the volume of calls increasing but the women’s situations were worsening.

“Most of them are serious to the point now where you think if someone doesn’t have fractures or serious injuries we’re actually starting to see them as not so serious,” Ms Mangan said. “We’re beyond capacity in Queensland.”

She said workers had to juggle up to nine cases at once and were forced on Wednesday to let calls go unanswered.

“I just had to send an email to the workers yesterday, for the first time, (saying) ‘and I hate to have to say this to you as a work group but you have to leave calls’,” Ms Mangan said. “I’ve been watching this trend going up over the year.”

During the hearing, Liberal senator Cory Bernardi sparked anger from Greens senator Larissa Waters when he told representatives of the state’s oldest women’s refuge they were not “experts” and there were times it was appropriate for a man to put his partner in a headlock.

Women’s House Shelta’s Barbara Crossing told the hearing a man had a protection order taken out against his partner using evidence she bit him under the arm.

Ms Crossing, a support worker since 1991, said the injury could only have been caused by the man having the woman in a headlock.

Senator Bernardi said police considered headlocks an “appropriate means of deferring an aggressor”

Senator Waters said Ms Crossing was the expert and a headlock was an example of domestic violence.

This is the most stomach turning thing of the day. Cory Bernardi should literally die in the most horrible way possible, and then ground into a fine paste, and then erased from history.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Edit: Never mind; phone-posting and somehow missed like twenty posts.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Literally kill all men.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Palmersaurus posted:

Bold the whole thing:

My take as an American with no connection to ya'lls GWB:

For too long, Australia has been considered a European nation.

It's not. It's an Asian nation.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

Literally kill all Liberal party men.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's been a point of political debate for at least 20 years.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a bizarre and meaningless debate. What's a European nation? What's an Asian nation? We're not in Europe, so it can't be about geography. If it's about engagement it's not like we have to choose one or the other.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

We can't hear you over the sound of our racism judeo-christian heritage.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't get what that has to do with an idiot senator's remarks about domestic violence?

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Apparently the ALP in Vic is preferencing the LNP above the greens because of course they are

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

(Double post)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Easier to troll than a goat on a loving bridge.

What about the commencement of a live cattle trade with China? No religious reasons here it is purely about the Chinese exporting Australian slaughter house jobs. The Nationals are trumpeting it as a huge success and the Cattle farmers are happy as Larry. gently caress You Got Mine™ now in a handy self dose sized bottle.

And NTATA has been slapped down by the US state department over his Putin shenanigans. Looks like Dad says NO to shirt fronting.

But just in case you thought domestic violence wasn't depressing enough:

The Arsetralian posted:

7 Nov 2014 The Australian PAIGE TAYLOR ANDREW BURRELL

Community grieves as boy’s suicide highlights prevention failures

THE suicide of an 11-year-old Aboriginal boy in the West Australian port of Geraldton has plunged the local indigenous community deep into grief, six months after the state’s Mental Health Commissioner warned suicide victims were getting younger — and prevention strategies were not working. Peter Little was playing with other children outside his grandparents’ home on October 19 before he left the group and was found hanging from a tree soon after in a nearby patch of bush. The Australian understands he was found by another child. An inter-agency briefing note seen by The Australian says the boy “had a number of previously reported suicide attempts”.

The West Australian Department for Child Protection would not comment on the matter yesterday, saying only that it was providing support to the family. People who know the Little family say Peter was being raised by loving grandparents and had been living with them since around the time his parents separated. His mother and father have travelled to Geraldton to grieve with the rest of the family. Peter had been living in an inland regional town before recently moving to Geraldton. He had struggled with numeracy and literacy at school but, according to one person who knows the family, he did not seem tormented or troubled and enjoyed being with his young relatives.

Peter’s funeral will be held today.

Gordon Gray, chairman of the Midwest Aboriginal Organisation Alliance and a friend of the Little family, told The Australian the community was in deep shock. “People are just stunned and in so much pain,” he said. He said no matter what government inquiries found, the situation only worsened. “For this to happen to a little kid breaks all our hearts. We don’t know where it’s going to come from next,” he said. Authorities remained silent on Peter’s death for more than two weeks but indigenous leaders told The Australian yesterday that it was a matter that must be discussed publicly. “It’s like the biggest secret in the world this poor kid is gone and it’s all hush,” one elder said.

Geraldton Mayor Ian Carpenter was not aware yesterday of Peter’s death. “Oh my God, that is so terrible,” he said when contacted by The Australian. Labor’s state Aboriginal affairs spokesman Ben Wyatt said areas of regional Western Australia were facing a growing youth suicide crisis. “It’s almost at the ludicrous situation where the sheer numbers are normalising young Aboriginal kids suiciding,” he said. “There is a fundamental failure at a community level where kids feel as if the only coping mechanism they have is to end their life.”

In 2008, Western Australia’s then coroner, Alastair Hope, criticised state government policy and a lack of leadership in indigenous affairs in his report on a spate of Aboriginal suicides in the Kimberley, including that of an 11-year-old boy. Mr Hope recommended the government put in place a leadership structure in the Department of Indigenous Affairs “which will command the respect of other government agencies and Aboriginal people”. He also recommended better coordination among government agencies to stem the rate of Aboriginal suicide. In June, Mental Health Commissioner Tim Marney said suicide rates in Western Australia continued to rise and warned that victims were getting younger. Mr Marney said it was essential to address a “steady rate” of suicides, which claimed 336 lives in Western Australia in 2012. “For the current year, the trends are showing there has been further increase in the actual number of suicides,” he said. “The upward trend we’ve seen since 2006 is unfortunately continuing.”

A suicide prevention roundtable of indigenous leaders in Perth the same month was told 45 community action plans in 250 locations had been rolled out under the state’s suicide prevention strategy. Derby-based elder Lorna Hudson, who was awarded an Order of Australia in 2012 for community health work, said funerals of young people were a regular occurrence. Hot spots included Fitzroy Crossing, Derby and Halls Creek. “It’s getting worse with drugs and we’ll be left with no future leaders,” she said. “It wasn’t like that before.” Suicide awareness workshops and mental health training have been focused on the Kimberley and in a number of southwest towns where indigenous youth suicide has reached six times the national level. Mr Marney said a network of new psychiatrists, nurses and mental health workers — many of them Aboriginal — had let to a 120 per cent increase in Aborigines accessing mental health services, a 144 per cent increase in face-to-face clinical consultations and a 44 per cent increase in those accessing community health services. But he said a worrying trend was that even younger people were seeking to take their own lives. “Anecdotal evidence that I’m getting from clinicians is that there are younger people presenting,” he said.

A recent suicide case study by the Ombudsman’s Office of 36 deceased children, aged between 13 and 17, found that indigenous children were over-represented. Thirteen, or 36 per cent, of the suicides were Aboriginal, although they make up only 6 per cent of the total child population. Pat Dudgeon, chair of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership in Mental Health, said indigenous communities needed a “smorgasbord” of suicide prevention programs and declining suicide rates would take time. “It won’t happen overnight,” she said.

Certainly worth a co-payment or two.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

My Imaginary GF seems to be saying that Asians beat their wives more than Europeans.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Labor have lost the plot. They are dead.

Greens are the only party forever.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

My Imaginary GF seems to be saying that Asians beat their wives more than Europeans.

Yeah, women's rights seem to be much worse in Asia than Europe (I count Russia as an Asian nation). So, Australia seems to have policy about par to expectations within Asia-Pacific region.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Don't think this has been posted yet - Seinfeld in Parliament. The Hello...Newman is great. Comedy Gold Jerry, Comady Gold.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, women's rights seem to be much worse in Asia than Europe (I count Russia as an Asian nation). So, Australia seems to have policy about par to expectations within Asia-Pacific region.

Are you an American? I will not have my lovely country denigrated by a loving seppo.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Sisgmund posted:

Apparently the ALP in Vic is preferencing the LNP above the greens because of course they are

I thought they had just declined to preference the Greens above the LNP in every seat. It sounds to me like the ALP will still preference the Greens above the LNP in certain seats - just probably not any of the ones that matter.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-state-election-2014/victorian-state-election-labor-rejects-greens-deal-20141107-11ilop.html

quote:

Mr Andrews said the party would have more to say on how preferences would be organised in key inner-city seats, including Melbourne and Prahran.

"On a seat-by-seat basis the party will make decisions to obviously maximise our chances of changing the government."

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
From the party that brought you Senators John Madigan and Steve Fielding

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Haters Objector posted:

Are you an American? I will not have my lovely country denigrated by a loving seppo.

Seppo? Is that aussie slang for sepoy?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

My Imaginary GF posted:

What the gently caress is sepoy?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rhyming slang + Australian contraction.

Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank

(which is one of my favourite bits of Australian slang because it implies that Americans are full of poo poo)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What the gently caress is sepoy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepoy

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 7, 2014

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Labor are on Bernadi's side

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...107-11iiv8.html

Labor's spokeswoman for women, Claire Moore, backed up Senator Bernardi's denial, saying it was "a bit harsh" to say he had condoned domestic violence.
"He was very clear, he was not saying domestic violence was fine," Senator Moore told Fairfax Media.
"He was saying that just because someone was in a headlock didn't mean it was automatically a domestic violence situation," she said.
"I do not believe that he was making a statement that it was an appropriate thing to do in a domestic violence situation he was just saying in my opinion that you couldn't generalise," she added.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Another Liberal Party

An oldie but never truer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fruity Gordo posted:

I was also born in the year of the Dragon and am a Leo.

OH MY GOD YOU ARE ME!!!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Just cause someone is in a headlock doesn't automatically make it a domestic violence situation; they might be playing.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Scylo posted:

"He was saying that just because someone was in a headlock didn't mean it was automatically a domestic violence situation," she said.

Yeah, couples do that all the time, right?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Surely we can all be grown up about this and agree to just take a short aside from discussing an actual thing that happened to brainstorm ways hypothetical people could maybe do something in an unrelated way?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Labor's spokeswoman for women, Claire Moore, backed up Senator Bernardi's denial, saying it was "a bit harsh" to say he had condoned domestic violence.
"He was very clear, he was actually talking about ethics in video games journalism," Senator Moore told Fairfax Media.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

What is the situation that it is ok?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The guy attempting to hold a seminar on how to choke women into loving you said it was very sad that he felt his safety was threatened by protesters :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TheMightyHandful posted:

What is the situation that it is ok?

That you were verbatim asked to, and if they request you stop, you stop immediately.

That is the only situation in which that is ok.

eg. Senator Bernardi says "Please put me in a headlock and quote neoliberal dogma at me while I masturbate furiously at the thought of uppity women getting what they deserve because that is literally the only way I can gain sexual satisfaction".

• Locked thread