Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quasimango posted:

This is my ignorant/ cliched idea of each of the state Green parties:

NSW Greens: ex-communists
Victoria Greens: latte sipping/craft beer swilling hipsters
Queensland Greens: anti-GMO, anti vax, anti fluoride hippies
Tasmania Greens: tree-huggers
WA Greens: Scott Ludlam personality cult
SA Greens: um...something Sarah Hanson-Young
NT Greens: lol
Judging from the state delegations at National Conference a few days ago, SA Greens are the ultra-chill state. A few of our positions on various proposals included 'just go with the flow on the day'. The rest of your cliched ideas seem fairly accurate, although I could be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sydney median detached house price just broke the million dollar mark :dance:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sydney median detached house price just broke the million dollar mark :dance:

I am totally detaching my apartment from the rest of the block :killdozer:

Cha-ching!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/people-are-freaking-out-over-a-giant-pink-condom-on-a-sydney-cbd-sewer-vent-2014-11

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You couldn't make that up. The only thing better would be if there were photos of her sombrely gazing upon the "memorial".

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Senor Tron posted:

You couldn't make that up. The only thing better would be if there were photos of her sombrely gazing upon the "memorial".
Makes sense though, many conservative journalists want to pay tribute to the original sewer vent.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Senor Tron posted:

She gets extra journalistic incompetence points for this exchange too where she blamed Sydney City Council for it, then claimed she never did, gets called out on it and then gives a half-arsed apology.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

chriskkenny is spot on: We don't need a big pink dildo in the middle of Sydney right next to the war memorial on Remembrance Day

Someone find what Chris Kenny said about it.

Maybe he hosed it, I dunno. He should probably go to court to prove he didn't to clear his name.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Someone find what Chris Kenny said about it.

Maybe he hosed it, I dunno. He should probably go to court to prove he didn't to clear his name.

He was upset that he got a big pink dildo instead of a big red rocket.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Quasimango posted:

Hey, I met both of the NT Greens this weekend, they were cool.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Hey brisgoons sukarachi got shut down for selling rat. Try boom Boom in myer centre for the closest alternative

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

asio posted:

Hey brisgoons sukarachi got shut down for selling rat. Try boom Boom in myer centre for the closest alternative

Wow when did that happen? And what are the chances we all ate rat at the last meet?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wait, rat as in rat meat as food? I thought I'd walked into some weird drugs discussion I was too old to understand :psyduck:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

asio posted:

What the fuuuuuuck

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Brisbane's G20 fortress emerges

The Comments posted:

Let us hope that the missing Malaysian air liner is not being readied as a flying bomb to hit Brisbane.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Quasimango posted:

Tassie Greens: not just tree huggers but also out of touch with the local socioeconomic climate. With the sole exception of, in my experience, Christine Milne herself.

Just had a branch member try to present the argument that raising the GST would be a good idea, and if poors didn't like it they can "choose to grow their own food".

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

nyerf posted:

Just had a branch member try to present the argument that raising the GST would be a good idea, and if poors didn't like it they can "choose to grow their own food".

Nah that's just a dumb Lib who think's he's outsmarted the left & infiltrated the Greens.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Putin and Abbott agreeing to speed up the probe into the crashed MH17 flight makes more sense if you've watched Yes Minister.

You have a probe to discover there is no one at fault

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

How long has Pauline Hanson been flying under the radar, inciting hate crimes? Last I heard of her was when she said "print more money" in response to fiscal policies. From memory that was a looong time ago.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

asio posted:

More like sukaratchi amirite

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

asio posted:

it what?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

The prime minister pointed out that when the US inadvertently shot down a civilian aircraft, it had duly apologised and made appropriate restitution.

Hmm, let's see what then Vice President George Bush had to say about that:

quote:

I will never apologize for the United States — I don't care what the facts are... I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Quasimango posted:

Wouldn't the Tassie Greens be the OG Krew?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

:lambie:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's impressive that they manage to put together a whole senate staff with not one person in it that stops and thinks "hang on, maybe we shouldn't do this"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

No joke that reads like something written by cpuser:conservative on a talkpage.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
"12.11.14 - words"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

Wow when did that happen? And what are the chances we all ate rat at the last meet?

I was about to gloat for sticking more vegetarian at that meet, but for all I know they had rat sushi too.

If you guys are up for something totally different, there's this awesome Eritrian restaurant I just found (Mu'ooz) almost right next to Three Monkeys. They've got share platters and stuff, and the business was founded by refugees so it would be thematically appropriate for Auspol. It'd be more on the pricey side compared to Sukachi, though.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I was about to gloat for sticking more vegetarian at that meet, but for all I know they had rat sushi too.

If you guys are up for something totally different, there's this awesome Eritrian restaurant I just found (Mu'ooz) almost right next to Three Monkeys. They've got share platters and stuff, and the business was founded by refugees so it would be thematically appropriate for Auspol. It'd be more on the pricey side compared to Sukachi, though.

I'd be happy to try there. If necessary I could probably kick in a bit more to subsidise the poors

Fake edit: kick the poors a bit more

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I dispatched someone Little Chris to cross the cordon and check it out, he said the windows are papered up last week and there's some hints about renovation.

I'll call today and see.

Otherwise, suggestions?
Do you like Indian? Halims Indian Taj in Milton is the ducks nuts.

• Nandos CBD
  • Mu'ooz
  • Boom Boom
  • Halims Indian Taj
  • Stokehouse

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Meanwhile in The Courier Mail:

quote:

Delivering on his promise to personally confront the Russian President over the air disaster, Mr Abbott today told Mr Putin he should follow the “precedent” set when the United States paid compensation after it accidentally shot down an Iranian civilian aircraft in 1988.

But later in the article:

quote:

However suggestions Mr Abbott would ‘shirt-front’ the Russian President appeared to fall flat.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, quoted by the Russian state news agency, scoffed when asked if Mr Abbott delivered on his promise.

“It appears that he did not try,” Mr Peskov said.

So which is it?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

So which is it?

Another broken promise.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So he delivered on his broken promise to shirtfront Putin by not doing it but did it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

So he delivered on his broken promise to shirtfront Putin by not doing it but did it.

"By Shirtfront I ah... uh... meant.. urh... to adjust his jacket lapels in a.. ah.. friendly and. uh... warm manner."

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

For every dead Tory, 10 more finish homeschooling.

They can pump em out. Conservative homeschooling is twice as fast as the rest of society, when you only need to teach children to write but not read.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The contortions that Newscorp are going through to spin this as a victory are truly astonishing.

Not fit even for your bottom posted:

12 Nov 2014 The Australian SID MAHER BEIJING

Abbott to Putin: apologise over MH17 tragedy
(Putin to Abbott: No now gently caress off you preening popinjay)

TONY Abbott has urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to apologise and make appropriate restitution after telling him Australia had information the missile that shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 was linked to his country. The Prime Minister “commended the precedent” of paying compensation to the Russian President during a 15 minute bilateral meeting on the margins of the APEC leaders meeting yesterday outside Beijing. Mr Abbott told Mr Putin Australia was in possession of information that suggested MH17 was destroyed by a missile from a launcher that had come from Russia, was fired from inside eastern Ukraine, and then returned to Russia. He said that, if this was true, it would be “a very serious matter". Mr Abbott made the observation that when the US had inadvertently shot down a civilian aircraft it had “duly apologised and made appropriate restitution". According to details of the meeting released last night, Mr Abbott “commended the precedent" to Mr Putin. The US paid $61.8 million in compensation when Iranian Airlines Flight 655 was shot down by a US Navy missile in 1988, killing all 290 on board.

Mr Abbott’s meeting with Mr Putin has loomed large in the Prime Minister’s visit to Beijing after he said he would “shirt-front” the Russian President over the access being granted to the MH17 crash site. However, despite the strong words heading into the meeting, Mr Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Mr Abbott had not delivered on his “shirtfront” threat. “It appears that he did not try,” Mr Peskov told the state news agency RIA Novosti, AFP reported. The meeting at the APEC leaders’ retreat yesterday followed a brief talk at the gala leaders’ dinner on Monday night, when Mr Abbott raised the matter of enabling access to the MH17 crash site in line with the UN resolution on the issue. The Prime Minister told Mr Putin it was incumbent on all countries, including Russia, to respect UN Security Council resolution 2166 and to co-operate fully with the independent investigation into the MH17 atrocity.

MH17 was shot down over Ukraine in July, killing 298 passengers and crew on board, including 38 Australians. Mr Abbott and Mr Putin agreed that all relevant information should be provided to the independent investigation and that the investigation should proceed with the full support of the international community. Both the Australian and the Russian delegations believed it would be better to have a meeting in Beijing rather than in Brisbane this weekend, when Mr Abbott will be the host of the G20. Despite calls by Labor for Mr Putin to be banned from the G20, Australia maintained his invitation at the urging of G20 powers. During the APEC summit, Mr Abbott and Mr Putin repeatedly ran into each other as proceedings unfolded. At the leaders’ dinner on Monday night Mr Abbott found himself standing behind Mr Putin as the APEC “family photo" was taken. Yesterday as the leaders met at their retreat at the Yangqi Lake resort outside Beijing, the pair were seated beside each other in one of the formal sessions.

I'm gonna glass ya yer..
You better loving apologise ya ...
I'm gonna go and sit down over here and shut up.

If this is what victory looks like I think we could stand to fail a bit more often.

Cess Pitt - 'Journalist' posted:

12 Nov 2014 The Daily Telegraph (Sydney) STEVEN SCOTT
PM to Vlad: Say sorry
(Vlad to PM: No)

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has finally confronted Russian President Vladimir Putin at Beijing’s APEC Summit over flight MH17, demanding an apology and compensation for the families of 298 passengers, including 38 Australians, killed when the jet was shot down over the Ukraine. TONY Abbott has told Vladimir Putin to apologise for Russia’s involvement in shooting down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 and pay compensation to families of the 298 victims, including the 38 Australians on board. Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Russian President Putin met behind closed doors to discuss the downing of MH17. Delivering on his promise to confront the Russian President over the disaster, Mr Abbott yesterday told Mr Putin he should follow the “precedent” set when the US paid compensation after it accidentally shot down an Iranian aircraft in 1988. “The Prime Minister observed that when the US had inadvertently shot down a civilian aircraft it had duly apologised and made appropriate restitution,” Mr Abbott’s spokeswoman said.

But Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov scoffed when asked if Mr Abbott delivered on his pledge to "shirt-front" the Russian President. “It appears that he did not try,” Mr Peskov told the Russian state newsagency. The two leaders held a 15minute meeting about the MH17 disaster on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation leaders’ meeting in Beijing yesterday. During the meeting, Mr Abbott told Mr Putin he had evidence Russia had armed the rebels who shot down the aircraft. Mr Abbott said his intelligence (If Abbott literally said that then the rest of the meeting was Putin laughing) showed “MH17 was destroyed by a missile from a launcher that had come out of Russia, was fired from inside Eastern Ukraine and then returned to Russia”, his spokeswoman said. The PM said the information was “a very serious matter” if true. Mr Abbott’s office said Mr Putin agreed “all relevant information should be provided to the independent investigation and that the investigation should proceed with the full support of the international community”.

Mr Abbott said families deserved a “measure of justice” for the loss of their loved ones. But it is not clear if Mr Putin gave any guarantees on an apology or compensation to families.
The Kremlin confirmed the meeting and said both leaders backed a “genuine” investigation of the tragedy. The meeting was the second time Mr Abbott raised the issue after bumping into Mr Putin at a gala dinner the previous night. Despite his “shirt-front” threat, it was the Russian President who appeared to give the cold shoulder to Mr Abbott when they were seen together. The body language was far from friendly with Mr Putin turning away from Mr Abbott. They barely made eye contact while seated next to each other at the first leaders’ meeting.

A pyrrhic victory?

Meanwhile operation 'Bring Them Home' is another Abbott 'success'.

In actual news rather than what ever the sallow parody of news it is that you just saw.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/negotiations-between-labor-and-coalition-over-ret-break-down/5884162

quote:

Renewable Energy Target: Negotiations between Government and Labor over future of target break down

AM By Andrew Greene and Alexandra Kirk Updated about an hour agoWed 12 Nov 2014, 9:08am

Negotiations over the future of Australia's Renewable Energy Target (RET) have broken down, with Labor telling the Government there is no value in continuing discussions. For several weeks the Opposition and Coalition have been meeting to discuss the future of the RET, which currently aims to ensure 20 per cent of electricity comes from renewable sources by 2020. The Abbott government wants to reduce the target, arguing overall household consumption has fallen (Hello Carbon pricing!), but Opposition environment spokesman Mark Butler said the Government's fundamental position remained a 40 per cent cut to the RET, which Labor would not support. "After several meetings we've reached the clear view that there's just not a prospect of agreement between the two parties," Mr Butler said. "We gave it a good go. We went to the negotiations in good faith with the objective to try and restore a bipartisan consensus underpinning renewable energy investment. Our positions are too far apart."

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane said he hoped Labor returned to the table. "I can only assume that the Labor Party is putting politics ahead of policy," Mr Macfarlane said. "And we're a bit perplexed that they would roll out this letter in the eve of the G20." Back in 2008, both parties agreed to set the renewable energy target at 41,000 gigawatt hours, or 20 per cent of demand in 2020. The Government argued because household electricity consumption had fallen, the target should be scaled back to about 26,000, what it called a "real 20 per cent". Labor has told the Government there is no value in continuing discussions over the future of the RET. What's your reaction? But the Opposition said it was a 40 per cent cut, and while the talks were "constructive" the Coalition's position had not changed. "It was quite clear to us after several meetings that Ian Macfarlane and [Environment Minister] Greg Hunt had some capacity to move," Mr Butler said. "We obviously had some capacity to move with the objective of restoring investor confidence. But they've gone so far away from the existing policy, a policy they committed to at the last election, that we're simply not willing or able to move that far."

Industry disappointed negotiations have broken down

Kane Thornton from renewables peak body the Clean Energy Council said the industry wanted to avoid a deadlock.

About the RET

The Renewable Energy Target was introduced in 2001 by then-prime minister John Howard. Its aim was to create an extra 9,500 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of power by 2020. In 2009, the Labor government increased the figure to ensure renewable energy made up the equivalent of 20 per cent of Australia's electricity (41,000 GWh). The Climate Change Authority reviewed the policy in 2012. It found the government should keep its target, despite changing demand forecasts and some electricity generators saying it would drive the cost of power up by billions of dollars.
The current Federal Government reviewed the target, as interest groups such as the Clean Energy Council warned any cutback would cost billions of dollars in future energy investment.

"Obviously [we're] very disappointed that negotiations have broken down," Mr Thornton said. "But equally, the proposal put forward by the Government reflects a massive cut to the industry and it's a cut that the industry will not accept." The solar industry has echoed the sentiment, with Australian Solar Council chief executive John Grimes saying "no deal is better than a bad deal. Prime Minister Abbott was absolutely intent on decimating our industry and not in making fair adjustments," Mr Grimes said. "So for us it was clear there was no prospect of a fair deal."

Without Labor or the Greens support, the Government would need to negotiate with the Palmer United Party (PUP) to make make any changes. But leader Clive Palmer had vowed to block any move to weaken or abolish Australia's Renewable Energy Target during this Parliament. "We'll continue to have discussions with the crossbenchers and see if a position can be arrived at," Mr Macfarlane said. "But the reality is that without a bipartisan position from Labor the renewable energy industry will be left in limbo. So it is the renewable energy industry that will lose as a result of Labor walking away from these negotiations."
The government's own report into the RET says that this option is the most expensive and least favourable.

But remember kiddies! Facts don't count in a Muppet Government!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Caught The Chaser's Media Circus for the first time last night, the actual content was ok but the game show format is painful.
They should leave out the games altogether and just make it The Chaser's The Panel.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Friends of mine who work in public broadcasting are predicting that the ABC and SBS will be merged into one channel during Tony's second term

He actually still has a good shot at a second term doesn't he :negative:

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

Bifauxnen posted:

This man is correct, Mu'ooz has good food and is thematically appropriate. (I thought it a little odd that they also had Italian dishes on the menu but it all makes sense when you look up the history)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Palmersaurus posted:

Caught The Chaser's Media Circus for the first time last night, the actual content was ok but the game show format is painful.
They should leave out the games altogether and just make it The Chaser's The Panel.

Yeah or maybe everyone should just stop making panel shows forever.

• Locked thread