Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

alkanphel posted:

To be fair, there are some reason to use Canon cameras but most of my friends don't fit into those niche use-cases.

If I didn't shoot birds I would probably switch over completely to Fuji. I was just in Ireland for a couple weeks on vacation and used my xe-1 for about 90% of my photography there. I did bring my 1D + big rear end telephoto but only used it for one day in the Killarney national park (which is loving awesome btw). Canon owns for action photography and the 7DII looks amazing for sports and wildlife but if you don't shoot those things its getting to be a hard brand to recommend.

E: looks like there's a going to be an update to to the 100-400 to go with the 7DII

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/11/canon-ef-100-400mm-f4-5-5-6l-is-ii-specs-emerge/

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

alkanphel posted:

I used to be a Canon user too, but I too jumped ship. The last Canon camera I ever recommended to friends was the Canon 5D2, now I mostly recommend Sony or Fuji. Those who didn't heed my advice ended up selling off their Canons like a couple of months later when new Fuji/Sony cameras came out. To be fair, there are some reason to use Canon cameras but most of my friends don't fit into those niche use-cases.
Yeah, but selling off my EOS and all my glass leaves me with just enough budget to get the upcoming A99 II (if I estimated the price correctly) whenever it drops next year and the A-mount version of the Sigma 35mm. So essentially being left with nothing again.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

alkanphel posted:

Agreed, but most people don't need that kind of lens selection these days. The other brands have also covered the main prime and zoom focal lengths that most people use so the Canon lens lineup excels more on the niche areas like TS lenses or super telephotos.

Don't forget the MP-E 65mm f/2.8, that thing is unique as far as I can tell, and does its job outstandingly.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Brand new 100-400 announced.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/11/introducing-the-canon-ef-100-400-f4-5-5-6l-is-ii/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cheaper than I expected. I figured they'd price it around what Nikon is asking for their 80-400. The 1m minimum focus distance is a huge improvement and pretty impressive. It would be cool if they updated the 400mm prime with modern IS and a lot shorter mfd, too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but selling off my EOS and all my glass leaves me with just enough budget to get the upcoming A99 II (if I estimated the price correctly) whenever it drops next year and the A-mount version of the Sigma 35mm. So essentially being left with nothing again.

Why do you want to switch though? You need better AF?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd like to get more dynamic range at some point (for my handheld urbex motives), and Canon doesn't give any indications as to when they'll catch up with the competition, more like the contrary (see 7D2 sensor). Plus I've tried the A99 EVF, it is awesome and would let me reduce the rejection rate a lot when shooting handheld and wide open (focus peaking in the VF).

And finally, depending on the model and its higher resolution, you get more leeway with noise. The D800/A7R sensor has better characteristics than the Canon FF sensors, while the same time being higher resolution. So you can get rid of more noise during downsampling, too. With the added benefit to be able to crop like a motherfucker otherwise.

If rumors are true and the 5D4 will be revealed in February, depending on that they present (or rather don't), I'd like to make plans for an exit, before buying even more glass. I'm alternatively toying with the idea of an A7R and some cheap adapter, given that I focus mostly manually anyway, but I'm not sure of what to think of the FE-mount, especially with Sigma saying it sucks for lens design.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
All my lenses are made by Sigma anyway and I don't have one of the bodies with the nice AF system that would actually be useful for concerts.

I've made bad camera decisions.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I have the opportunity to buy a very lightly used 1Ds mark II from a friend for $450, and can return it if I have any problems with it. I should probably just do this, and not concern myself with "Oh but a 5DIII would be better, blah" sort of sentiment, right? It would be a hell of an upgrade from my T2i.

edit: my bad, it's a 1Ds mark II, not a 5DII. Still, about half what I would pay for a used.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 12, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
A mkII for $450 is an insanely ridiculous good deal, hell 450 is a good price for a mark i. Are you sure it's not a mkI? Haha.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I have the opportunity to buy a very lightly used 1Ds mark II from a friend for $450, and can return it if I have any problems with it. I should probably just do this, and not concern myself with "Oh but a 5DIII would be better, blah" sort of sentiment, right? It would be a hell of an upgrade from my T2i.

edit: my bad, it's a 1Ds mark II, not a 5DII. Still, about half what I would pay for a used.

uhhh yeah dude. That's an insanely good price.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So any excitement over the new 100-400? The MTFs certainly look promising.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

It's 13% heavier at 1.6kg versus the 1.4kg for the older model. That's also heavier than the 70-200 II by a bit, as well. I want one, but I don't know if it's worth the $2200 minus whatever I can get for my gen 1.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
With the caveat that I've never actually used one, honestly the 100-400 has really never appealed to me, and it's entirely because of the aperture. I realize you really can't make a faster zoom in that range without the price being just stupid, but the thought of starting at 4.5 and just getting worse always turned me off of that lens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
e: price and size.

It looks great, and I'm glad Canon finally got this thing made.

I think there's been such an influx of superteles recently that it's not as much the "obvious choice" as it was when the mk1 came out and the 3rd party lenses were less exciting.

I think i'd want to see how it takes TC's. If it + a 1.4x is noticeably better than the Tamron, I'll start looking harder at it.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 13, 2014

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

dakana posted:

I realize you really can't make a faster zoom in that range without the price being just stupid
Even if you could bring the price down, the weight would be a huge problem still. The 100-400 is a great walk-around size. The 200-400 -- not so much.

It's a great entry point as a wildlife lens, I'm just curious how well it will do against the 150-600 zooms. If the birding groups I'm part of are representative of the main buying group for a lens like this then the Canon marketing dept. has their work cut out for them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have the Tamron 150-600, and that is pretty big and awkward for me (6' tall dude), and even with what seems to be a pretty good IS you really have to crank up the ISO/shutter speed if you are hand-holding it. I could see for a lot of people, a 100-400 would be preferable even for birds. I'll be curious how the lighter Sigma stacks up.

I've got the 70-300L too, which is a 100% joy to use. If the new 100-400L is anything like the 70-300, I think it will find a following even in a fairly crowded market.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think i'd want to see how it takes TC's. If it + a 1.4x is noticeably better than the Tamron, I'll start looking harder at it.
If you believe the MTF charts, it appears the mkII wearing a 2x is equal to the naked mkI.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

dakana posted:

With the caveat that I've never actually used one, honestly the 100-400 has really never appealed to me, and it's entirely because of the aperture. I realize you really can't make a faster zoom in that range without the price being just stupid, but the thought of starting at 4.5 and just getting worse always turned me off of that lens.

I felt the same way until I got a 70-300/4-5.6 specifically for a vacation. I got some really sweet shots at 300mm, and I've been on the tele bandwagon ever since. You're basically always outside whenever you need these focal lengths, and even f/4 or so seems really fast under those conditions.

Edit: Looking through my LR catalog, my strongest (5 star) shots were taken at f/8, f/14, and f/5.6.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 13, 2014

Eugene Oregon
Nov 1, 2014
Do any of you know if the Yongnuo YN565EX flash will work in ETTL mode off-camera with a T5i? I know it will work on-camera, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer for off-camera.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
If you have a TTL radio flash trigger like the YN622 it should. Idk if the T5i has in-body flash controls but if it does, those will work too.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

If you have a TTL radio flash trigger like the YN622 it should. Idk if the T5i has in-body flash controls but if it does, those will work too.

It does. Should work fine - the 500EX works fine with my 70D, although there's a weird bug if I use the on camera flash as only a controller. In that case, it dumps the entire flash charge about 50% of the time. If I use the on camera flash as controller + contributing to exposure, it works fine every time.

Price to be paid for cheap chinese flashes I guess - not a huge deal, and if you don't want the on camera really contributing, just set the ratio to 8:1 so it's not doing much.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife's early Christmas present arrived a few days ago: 7D2 and 24-70 f/4. Yesterday we put the lens on for the first time and it wouldn't focus. Then it started making a lawnmower-type sound and showing "Err 01 communication with the lens failed". Tried on my other camera bodies with the same effect. :(

I guess that's why the lens was $400 with the 7D2 preorder.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Huge grain of salt, but first specs rumors about the 5D4 are going around. What's hilarious is the 98% coverage on the VF. I wonder what additional unannounced features it'll have to warrant a refresh. Other than the supposed 36MP.

http://www.cameraegg.org/rumors-5d-mark-iv-price-for-3799-to-be-announced-on-march-17th-2015/

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Huge grain of salt, but first specs rumors about the 5D4 are going around. What's hilarious is the 98% coverage on the VF. I wonder what additional unannounced features it'll have to warrant a refresh. Other than the supposed 36MP.

http://www.cameraegg.org/rumors-5d-mark-iv-price-for-3799-to-be-announced-on-march-17th-2015/

I dunno that a rumor based on a ken rockwell page is super reliable.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

My wife's early Christmas present arrived a few days ago: 7D2 and 24-70 f/4. Yesterday we put the lens on for the first time and it wouldn't focus. Then it started making a lawnmower-type sound and showing "Err 01 communication with the lens failed". Tried on my other camera bodies with the same effect. :(

I guess that's why the lens was $400 with the 7D2 preorder.

How's the 7D2? There's been quite a few internet people who've reported AF problems and sent them back supposedly. Also, I've been curious about something with the AF system since I tried one in the store but haven't been able to find any info on it. Maybe you'll know since you've got one in hand - can you set the Auto-Select 65 point mode to prioritize the center point like it does on a 1D? It was pretty annoying having it AF on whatever happened to be closest rather than what was centered in frame like on my mkIV.

Sucks about the lens. I'm sure whoever you got it from will get you a replacement.

timrenzi574 posted:

I dunno that a rumor based on a ken rockwell page is super reliable.

Eh, there's been a lot of talk about a 5dIV/1DXII announcement for spring next year and that spec list looks plausible enough. Sure, krock, but it is due for an update and it'll probably be close-ish to that. Not so sure about the 36mp sensor at 7fps though. It would be funny though, just because of all the Canon fanboys who've been talking poo poo about the D810 having too many pixels.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Canon fanboys also say that dynamic range doesn't matter because they're too invested into their lenses to consider that canon is coasting on their name and maybe they should switch.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Nice, who cares what the Mk IV specs are, it will just mean I can do a cheap upgrade to the Mk iii...

I did a couples portrait shoot this week and am officially fed up with the lovely autofocus on my 5d II. Shooting wide open with backlighting I seriously get 1 out of 4 shots in focus. Don't even think about recomposing either, you need to keep that center dot right on the spot if you want it to be in focus.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

1st AD posted:

Canon fanboys also say that dynamic range doesn't matter because they're too invested into their lenses to consider that canon is coasting on their name and maybe they should switch.

I wonder if Canon won't switch to Sony sensors at some point. Their advantage is in the system/colour/glass, and the sensor business is terrible in general even Sony has been losing money in that division last I heard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If Canon never improves their sensor tech they might recoup the costs on their fab in a couple years.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
New rebates on a bunch of lenses kicked in this morning...
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=53

Good through January 3rd.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if Canon won't switch to Sony sensors at some point. Their advantage is in the system/colour/glass, and the sensor business is terrible in general even Sony has been losing money in that division last I heard.
There were rumors about using Sony sensors. The relevant sites said it came from reliable sources.

1st AD posted:

If Canon never improves their sensor tech they might recoup the costs on their fab in a couple years.
Eh, I've read some speculation that their fab processes aren't suited for higher resolution sensors as this rumored 36MP one. Of course, if true, that suggests that they've indeed ran to Sony, and given hardware development cycles, this would probably be the D8x0/A7R sensor.

It would be funny though, just because of all the Canon fanboys who've been talking poo poo about the D810 having too many pixels.
Too many pixels with too much dynamic range and not enough noise. Who'd even want that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 23, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

How's the 7D2? There's been quite a few internet people who've reported AF problems and sent them back supposedly. Also, I've been curious about something with the AF system since I tried one in the store but haven't been able to find any info on it. Maybe you'll know since you've got one in hand - can you set the Auto-Select 65 point mode to prioritize the center point like it does on a 1D? It was pretty annoying having it AF on whatever happened to be closest rather than what was centered in frame like on my mkIV.

Sucks about the lens. I'm sure whoever you got it from will get you a replacement.

Eh, there's been a lot of talk about a 5dIV/1DXII announcement for spring next year and that spec list looks plausible enough. Sure, krock, but it is due for an update and it'll probably be close-ish to that. Not so sure about the 36mp sensor at 7fps though. It would be funny though, just because of all the Canon fanboys who've been talking poo poo about the D810 having too many pixels.

For sure a MKIV is coming , and probably next year, but that page looks like Ken SEO. As soon as real specs are available he'll update it to be a fake review.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Gambl0r posted:

New rebates on a bunch of lenses kicked in this morning...
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=53

Good through January 3rd.

They're also doing a pre-Black Friday deal on refurbished gear. I'd really like to pick up the 40mm f/2.8 STM lens, but if I recall correctly, don't they sometimes drop the price down to around $100 or so? It's $135 right now.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
The 85 1.8 listed for $285 but out of stock...................man.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Combat Pretzel posted:

There were rumors about using Sony sensors. The relevant sites said it came from reliable sources.

Eh, I've read some speculation that their fab processes aren't suited for higher resolution sensors as this rumored 36MP one. Of course, if true, that suggests that they've indeed ran to Sony, and given hardware development cycles, this would probably be the D8x0/A7R sensor.

Doesn't the new 7D sensor have the same pixel density as a D800? Either way, Canon should be buying sensors from Samsung from looking at what the NX1 has managed to do.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I've recently bought a lot of manual lenses for my 6D (and 550D) - are there focusing screens that help facilitate manual focus, but won't break the regular autofocus dots? Primarily for the 550D, as I'm less concerned about something going wrong with that.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dorkanoid posted:

I've recently bought a lot of manual lenses for my 6D (and 550D) - are there focusing screens that help facilitate manual focus, but won't break the regular autofocus dots? Primarily for the 550D, as I'm less concerned about something going wrong with that.

Katzeye can get you the squares for a 550, but the red lights won't work unfortunately. I think the normal canon replacements for the 6D maintain the squares&light. You could also just get a clip on LCD viewfinder/loupe and use that for manual focus in liveview. Let's you brace the camera against your face like the viewfinder, although you look dorky as hell using it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Doesn't the new 7D sensor have the same pixel density as a D800?
Even higher. Using the 7DII's pixel density, a fullframe sensor would have 45MP.

The issue with their fab tech seems to be the inability to implement specific processes. At least from what's being said. The D800 sensor has significantly better noise performance and higher dynamic range than their lower density pendants from Canon. And Canon's crop sensors with similar pixel density perform noticeably worse than their fullframe ones. So it's no surprise that there isn't a high resolution fullframe sensor from Canon.

The 7DII sensor didn't really set itself apart from the rest of the crop sensors, ignoring the AF. You'd think that with introduction of dual pixel PDAF their sensor would have gotten a big overhaul, but it performs only negligibly better than a 60D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PDAF sensor just give up a few pixels here and there to the AF, its unrelated to iq.