Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

BiggerBoat posted:

Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "What we need are more options. Nothing's going to change until there's a third party to challenge the two-headed snake!"

Something Awful > Debate & Discussion: "gently caress you dumb retards voting 3rd party and costing center-right Democratic candidates elections!"

If Ralph Nader or some Green Party nobody cost Al Gore or John Kerry votes, then that says more about Gore and Kerry than the people who actually took the time to conscientiously vote. I voted third party in 2000 and I lived in Florida. Know why? Because gently caress Joe Lieberman that's why, then and now. I still think it was the right choice and I'd do it again, especially given what Lieberman has done since then.

The Republicans also crutch on the blame-third-parties strategy, especially when one of their unelectable establishment men loses an easy election (President 2012, Colorado governor 2014). It's a little more entertaining when the Republicans do it, though, I think; the "party of individual liberty" would have won, if only the voters had fewer choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ketchup count?

That takes me back.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Spun Dog posted:

That takes me back.

If pizza can be classified as a vegetable for school, why not SNAP?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

As an aside, how can you ban a word that is the name of a thing. Would we be only allowed to gesture at kale in the future or what?

I don't even know what bae is, other than the last name of the girl from Cloud Atlas.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "I think you have to earn your way into politics. I don't think anything is ever given to you." ~ George W. Bush.

Of ALL the people. Of ALL of them to say this. It's a loving Bush.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

effectual posted:

I don't even know what bae is, other than the last name of the girl from Cloud Atlas.

It's a slang term for girlfriend.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's a slang term for girlfriend.

Or Ba(b)e.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How likely will net neutrality survive now that Obama's behind it?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

effectual posted:

A major UK defense contractor (or "defence").

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grouchio posted:

Obama needs to make a speech saying he is against full communism, just to see all the Republicans coming out in support of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grouchio posted:

Unlikely, given that Wheeler's not exactly someone who's pushed it... ever?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

Well, he's correct. You earn your way by leveraging favors and inside knowledge with others' needs and ambitions until you make it or get imprisoned.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Alkydere posted:

It would have to be, though. Like, anyone who actually worked their way into politics would meet enough assholes who only got their positions through nepotism and buying their way in, that they would never say something so stupid.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Real quote of the day: "Joe Biden is what you see. You know, he’s genuine. Yes, he’s prone to gaffes publicly, and he’ll admit that. He’s very self-deprecating like that. And I’m certainly not one who agrees with Joe Biden on all things—we probably disagree more than we agree—but from a human and relationship standpoint, the guy’s awesome." - Eric Cantor

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Real quote of the day: "Joe Biden is what you see. You know, he’s genuine. Yes, he’s prone to gaffes publicly, and he’ll admit that. He’s very self-deprecating like that. And I’m certainly not one who agrees with Joe Biden on all things—we probably disagree more than we agree—but from a human and relationship standpoint, the guy’s awesome." - Eric Cantor

Joe Biden: Basically Clinton, minus Hillary

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Harry Reid wants to create a new position in the Senate Democratic leadership and put Elizabeth Warren in that position. Durbin would remain Whip, Schumer would remain Vice Chair, Murray would remain Conference Secretary, and Tester would take over DSCC from Bennet, but then Senator Professor Warren would get some ~*~new~*~ position. Maybe she takes over Conference Chair from Reid (he currently does that and Leader - McConnell shares that power with Thune) or Schumer gets promoted to Chair and Warren takes over Vice Chair, or they just invent something for her.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unlikely, given that Wheeler's not exactly someone who's pushed it... ever?

Pretty sure he did exactly that. Did you mean "someone who's pushed the plan I prefer instead of the effectively one already tested in court and approved?"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Harry Reid wants to create a new position in the Senate Democratic leadership and put Elizabeth Warren in that position. Durbin would remain Whip, Schumer would remain Vice Chair, Murray would remain Conference Secretary, and Tester would take over DSCC from Bennet, but then Senator Professor Warren would get some ~*~new~*~ position. Maybe she takes over Conference Chair from Reid (he currently does that and Leader - McConnell shares that power with Thune) or Schumer gets promoted to Chair and Warren takes over Vice Chair, or they just invent something for her.

That's actually incredibly interesting, because Reid isn't exactly a raving communist. Means he sees something useful to the Democratic Party there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Means he sees something useful to the Democratic Party there.

Or useful to him remaining the Leader of the caucus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's actually incredibly interesting, because Reid isn't exactly a raving communist. Means he sees something useful to the Democratic Party there.

Warren's pretty far from one too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Or useful to him remaining the Leader of the caucus.

Yeah, I could see why you'd give Schumer the chair over Durbin with Reid having that ambition.

Warren is a chance to energize the base while retaining evidence-based economic policies. Plus, giving her more authority now only helps a Biden/Warren campaign--and Harry Reid--later.

Unless you know something about Reid's opinion on Hillary that you'd be willing to share?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 13, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unless you know something about Reid's opinion on Hillary that you'd be willing to share?

Uh, well, Harry Reid called a certain Senator from Illinois into his office back in 2006 and convinced him to run for President. That should give you something of an idea of Harry's opinion on Hillary.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

My Imaginary GF posted:

Joe Biden: Basically Clinton, minus Hillary

Biden learned early in his Senatorial career about the three free kills.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Uh, well, Harry Reid called a certain Senator from Illinois into his office back in 2006 and convinced him to run for President. That should give you something of an idea of Harry's opinion on Hillary.

That wasn't Reid's idea, though; that was Durbin's.

Biden/Warren 2016: A Series of Inexplicable Events

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Lote posted:

Jesus.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

That wasn't Reid's idea, though; that was Durbin's.

I am curious, are you planning on selling your fanfic at some point, so is it more of a passion project?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I just got that!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

I am curious, are you planning on selling your fanfic at some point, so is it more of a passion project?

Can't it be both? 50 Shades of Gray Midwestern City.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

can I take credit for Bill Clinton on behalf of Wendell Ford

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Is that who we can blame for the Unholy Trinity of '96?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure he did exactly that. Did you mean "someone who's pushed the plan I prefer instead of the effectively one already tested in court and approved?"

No I mean the guy who suggests things like two-tiered internet that lets ISPs strongarm content providers:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fcc-endorses-two-tier-system-for-internet-providers-overturning-net-neutrality/
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ive-deals.shtml

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

That 2016 phone call gonna need to be made to Carson City lickety split, if he wants to keep his job.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So you're taking about the DC Circuit? I mean, not that that's the actual effect of Wheelers proposal, but that's who suggested Wheelers proposal originally.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lote posted:

Oh god! :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Nothing fanfic about Blago's poker nights.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lote posted:

wow.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I missed a great one from the end of last week. "When an administration says 'no,' it's no different than when Andrew Jackson marched Indians down the Trail of Tears, to their death. The fact is, the government will obey the administration's orders, if there isn't somebody to say 'Hold it, stop!'" ~ Darrell Issa, on the Benghazi investigation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
http://www.scribd.com/doc/246121084/Backroom-Battles-Partisan-Deadlock-Redistricting-in-Illinois

A good report on the impact of redistricting at the state-level. Two redistrictings in a row will give you a very large electoral advantage; one only improves your controlling positions on the margins.

For state legislature in Illinois, percentage aggregate vote won by Democratic candidates in 2002:

House 53%, Senate 55%

Percentage members Democratic in 2002:

House 56%, Senate 54%

Compare after the next redistricting, percentage aggregate vote won by Democratic candidates in 2012:

House 52%, Senate 54%

Percentage members Democratic in 2012:

House 60%, Senate 68%

e:

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 13, 2014

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

2100 new posts in a week. Give me a run down of what I should be mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cat Face Joe posted:

2100 new posts in a week. Give me a run down of what I should be mad about.

Some jack rear end went on a million page tangent about charter schools, but he was shot down :smug:

• Locked thread