Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Joe Biden: Basically Clinton, minus Hillary
Can you imagine a Bill/Biden presidency? Billden? It would have been the bro-iest 8 years.

Lote posted:

Biden learned early in his Senatorial career about the three free kills.
I had to look it up but goddamn, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Face Joe posted:

2100 new posts in a week. Give me a run down of what I should be mad about.

The fact that having a governor to veto proposed redistricting is much more important than funding all campaigns in a state; if you can win all the competitive districts and prevent veto-proof majorities, your party will win enough in compromises that the next redistricting cycle could go your way.

2040: Looking up for Democrats!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Can you imagine a Bill/Biden presidency? Billden? It would have been the bro-iest 8 years.

I had to look it up but goddamn, man.

Bill/Biden is a name the south could vote for. And hey, lets be fair, Biden knew he'd used his three kills, a lesson which Kennedy never learnt.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Warren's pretty far from one too.

Not by American standards. :colbert:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

It also ignores that thousands of Democrats voted for George W Bush in Florida, but pointing out that thousands of their own voters defected to Bush does not push the narrative that you have to vote for the donkey every 2 years or you will wake up in a Margaret Atwood novel.

That's a garbage argument, those people were largely Dixiecrats and would have been voting Republican regardless of how Gore ran his campaign. Significantly less garbage is pointing out how he lost his own state, a place that should have, in theory, liked his policies since they were fine with him enacting them while governor.

edit: Well gently caress, other people already said all this stuff.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I have no idea how accurate this is, but years ago I read on another forum that come 2000, Tennesseans had come to see Gore as a Washington liberal instead of the blue dog they'd elected as senator.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 13, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cliff Racer posted:

That's a garbage argument, those people were largely Dixiecrats and would have been voting Republican regardless of how Gore ran his campaign. Significantly less garbage is pointing out how he lost his own state, a place that should have, in theory, liked his policies since they were fine with him enacting them while governor.

edit: Well gently caress, other people already said all this stuff.

I thought Gore was a Congressman and a Senator, not a governor.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The really cool thing is that SNAP has been angling towards a new focus on incentivization like this for a while. They just wrapped up a Healthy Incentives Pilot program:

quote:

The Healthy Incentives Pilot (HIP) tested a way of making fruits and vegetables more affordable for participants in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Under HIP, SNAP participants received a financial incentive for purchasing fruits and vegetables. For every dollar of SNAP benefits they spent on targeted fruits and vegetables (TFVs) at participating retailers, SNAP households received a 30-cent incentive on their SNAP Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The incentive could be spent on any SNAP-eligible foods and beverages.

Buy certain fruits or vegetables, get 30% back to spend on anything else covered by SNAP, effectively reducing the cost of fruits and vegetables. The results?

quote:

• HIP increased fruit and vegetable consumption of pilot participants. HIP participants consumed almost a quarter of a cup more targeted fruits and vegetables than non-HIP participants. This 26 percent increase in consumption over non-HIP participants is both statistically significant and large enough to be nutritionally relevant.
  • HIP impacts were not affected by the presence of children in the household, employment status, age, or amount of the household’s SNAP benefit. Some evidence indicated that impacts were larger for households who before HIP had more positive attitudes about fruits and vegetables.
  • HIP households spent more SNAP benefits than non-HIP households on targeted fruits and vegetables in participating supermarkets and superstores—$ 12.05 versus $10.86 each month—an increase of $1.19 or 11 percent. HIP households earned average incentives of $3.65 each month. Average monthly purchases of targeted fruits and vegetables by HIP households were similar throughout the pilot and were less than originally anticipated.
  • According to self-reports, HIP households spent $78.17 each month on all fruits and vegetables in all types of stores and with cash as well as SNAP benefits. In contrast, non-HIP households reported spending $72.02 each month, which was $6.15 (or 8.5 percent) less than spending reported by HIP households.
  • HIP participants clearly responded to the price incentive and used their SNAP benefits to purchase more targeted fruits and vegetables. However, the amount of TFVs they purchased with their SNAP benefits in HIP participating stores was insufficient to account for their entire increased intake. This suggests that HIP affected consumption through other mechanisms as well, such as informational and attitudinal effects, and may also suggest an incomplete understanding of how the pilot worked.

:unsmith: Seems to work pretty well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mo_Steel posted:

The really cool thing is that SNAP has been angling towards a new focus on incentivization like this for a while. They just wrapped up a Healthy Incentives Pilot program:

Buy certain fruits or vegetables, get 30% back to spend on anything else covered by SNAP, effectively reducing the cost of fruits and vegetables. The results?

"But but but GOVERNMENT SPENDING! TRYING TO TELL US WHAT WE CAN EAT!"

I don't see how this will last in a Republican Congress.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cat Face Joe posted:

2100 new posts in a week. Give me a run down of what I should be mad about.

Everything.

There, ya caught up now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Be mad you can only fit so much whiskey in your mouth at once.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Pretty much my status since '00.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

What are the chances that the oligarchs will never truly lose power? Are we headed towards a short-term dystopia?

Well, who exactly are you claiming are the oligarchs? Because I can tell you for sure, you're probably not going to get some guys and gals scraping by on $35k a year into the presidency and a majority of congressional seats anytime soon, they kinda can't afford to campaign so much.

The funny thing is that this is what food stamps were originally for, in the Depression. The poor would be given them and most of the excess produce local farmers couldn't sell due to the depression cost half or less as much with the stamps, while other things were full price.

Grouchio posted:

How likely will net neutrality survive now that Obama's behind it?

There has never been a threat to net neutrality to begin with, there's too much money in keeping it as it is.

I assume you're talking about Republicans passing a law banning net neutrality or something - they can't do that, there's nothing they could legally do to destroy net neutrality.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

"My vice-president did not have sexual relations with that woman, or that one, or that one, or that man..."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chamale posted:

"My vice-president did not have sexual relations with that woman, or that one, or that one, or that man..."
"Champ, I says, Champ, you gotta keep your pecker in your pocket. For now, God bless her, we gotta call that sweet intern and apologize for the love of Christ. Here, let me dial..."

:dials Hillary:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Warszawa posted:

I thought Gore was a Congressman and a Senator, not a governor.

Hmm, you're probably right. But that only makes it worse for him, granted he spent 8 years as VP while Tennessee's politics were rapidly changing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

There has never been a threat to net neutrality to begin with, there's too much money in keeping it as it is.

I assume you're talking about Republicans passing a law banning net neutrality or something - they can't do that, there's nothing they could legally do to destroy net neutrality.

I mean, they could pass a law barring the FCC from implementing any neutrality rule makings.

It wouldn't matter since there's essentially zero commercial reason to implement any of the parade of anti neutral horribles people like to bring up, but they could pass it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chokes McGee posted:

Everything.

There, ya caught up now.

Well, everything except ethics in video game journalism.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Does anyone have any good reading (articles or books) about the evolution of convention rules since WWW2? Things used to be quite a bit more entertaining in the 60s and 70s but also circuses so I can see why they changed rules but I'd like to know more about the process.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mo_Steel posted:

There was a sign in my grocery store the other day about how starting in a week or two they were switching the SNAP eligible foods from 2% milk to 1%, which I thought was interesting.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

From a couple pages ago, but

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz is not the only never-getting-nominated Presidential candidate with some thoughts on the series of tubes.

Warning: don't try to think too hard about how net neutrality is at all like the fairness doctrine. Donald didn't.

How in the gently caress can anybody see "all data must be treated equally" and think "this will target conservative media"? What will it be targeted with? The very nature of the idea is that data can't be "targeted" at all. That would be non-neutral. What is in these people's heads :psyduck:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

How in the gently caress can anybody see "all data must be treated equally" and think "this will target conservative media"? What will it be targeted with? The very nature of the idea is that data can't be "targeted" at all. That would be non-neutral. What is in these people's heads :psyduck:

Many of them don't understand that they've been living under the "tyranny of net neutrality" since day one of the public internet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Drones are being used to patrol half the US-Mexico border

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Re: Cruz, pretty sure "Obama came out for Net Neutrality, so gently caress that" is at least three quarters of it.
I don't know, as long as they don't have payloads and it's cheaper than the equivalent # of border guards this doesn't bother me much.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

The same reason that they think of allowing gay marriage as "special treatment". They are completely (and willfully) ignorant about, well, everything.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They've been against Net Neutrality for a while. I remember hearing my mom bitching about it a few years ago and she knows literally nothing about technology. Of course she had picked it up from Rush Limbaugh.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

pangstrom posted:

I don't know, as long as they don't have payloads and it's cheaper than the equivalent # of border guards this doesn't bother me much.
The fact that they keep doing this after UT-Austin students have hijacked them gives me rather more pause

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

pangstrom posted:

Same. Hell, even if it costs more but makes fewer lives more dangerous or miserable I'm okay.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

Same. Hell, even if it costs more but makes fewer lives more dangerous or miserable I'm okay.

I guess if we're just bound and goddamn determined to hyper-secure the border, then this is probably the least bad way to do it.

But I'm sure in a few months we'll hear about a Predator drone sniping some little girl from Guatemala because she waved a flower at it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

The fact that they keep doing this after UT-Austin students have hijacked them gives me rather more pause

I would like to assume they've patched that vulnerability by now, but defense contracting being what it is, who knows.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mdemone posted:

I guess if we're just bound and goddamn determined to hyper-secure the border, then this is probably the least bad way to do it.

But I'm sure in a few months we'll hear about a Predator drone sniping some little girl from Guatemala because she waved a flower at it.
I'm guessing armed border drones is going to be a bridge too far for a while, but who knows. Ideally it will result in some accidental minuteman deaths at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

No, that'll just be the drones we lend to Mexico to patrol their borders.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Well this was pretty much inevitable.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I would like to assume they've patched that vulnerability by now, but defense contracting being what it is, who knows.

The students did it over 2 years after Iran did it the same way, so I doubt it.

On the topic of border monitoring, I do remember reading in 2006 (was that when Bush tried his push for it?). About a bar in Australia whose thing was they had the TVs set up showing live streams of webcams set up along the border and watched for crossings. First one to spot one and call it in to the American border patrol got some bar gift (a free beer or something, I forget the exact details)

Funny world we live in

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DemeaninDemon posted:

Goin with this one. Thanks, everyone.

Chantilly Say posted:

Well, everything except ethics in video game journalism.

Given no fuks about this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zeno-25 posted:

You'll have your Tuscan Collards and you'll like them better that way, too! :bahgawd::chef:

That's a different kind of kale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I missed a great one from the end of last week. "When an administration says 'no,' it's no different than when Andrew Jackson marched Indians down the Trail of Tears, to their death. The fact is, the government will obey the administration's orders, if there isn't somebody to say 'Hold it, stop!'" ~ Darrell Issa, on the Benghazi investigation.

Well I didn't miss it because I posted it!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

effectual posted:

That's a different kind of kale.

A lighter shade of kale?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fried Chicken posted:

The students did it over 2 years after Iran did it the same way, so I doubt it.

On the topic of border monitoring, I do remember reading in 2006 (was that when Bush tried his push for it?). About a bar in Australia whose thing was they had the TVs set up showing live streams of webcams set up along the border and watched for crossings. First one to spot one and call it in to the American border patrol got some bar gift (a free beer or something, I forget the exact details)

Funny world we live in

Australia would have a "stop the immigrant" bar game. They still running that concentration internment camp for people trying to raft over?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

Australia would have a "stop the immigrant" bar game. They still running that concentration internment camp for people trying to raft over?

I think they just let them sink now. Australian 'Survivor'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

baw posted:

Does anyone have any good reading (articles or books) about the evolution of convention rules since WWW2? Things used to be quite a bit more entertaining in the 60s and 70s but also circuses so I can see why they changed rules but I'd like to know more about the process.

I have no idea what level of reading you want and whether you've already read it but Nixonland has a hundred pages or so on various convention shenanigans, and it's also a good book about the 60s.

• Locked thread