Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

i'd never heard of "neoliberals" until the npr thread wtf is a neoliberal

see: matt yglesias

bourgeois socially liberal people who trust in the markets and individuals acting in their own interest to give good outcomes, except in some specific cases of market failures where they want the government to intervene

most of the world just calls these people liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
free trade is ftw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

"california" as a political entity with artificial borders has plenty of water

in the real world, 80% of the water use is in socal, but 80% of the water supply is in norcal

socal is a loving useless wasteland, burn it to the ground
80% of the water use is in the central valley which runs the length of the state and isnt really divisible into nocal/socal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

Hahaha is the CRA anywhere near as brutal with hunting down expats for taxes?

does canada even tax expats on foreign income? i thought that was US only

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Werthog 95 posted:

Seriously? Neoliberalism is basically politics for the last 35 years. Privatization, Small Government, Low Taxes, Global free trade, very few if any economic restrictions. It's the worst.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

Traditional political philosophy reserves the term "liberal" for someone who is liberal about business and the rights of business, ie, what we in the USA call a conservative. Social beliefs weren't a part of that spectrum. "Neoliberal" is an attempt to reconcile terms.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hobbesmaster posted:

does canada even tax expats on foreign income? i thought that was US only

Idunno, that seemed to be what Subjunctive was implying.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

Seriously? Neoliberalism is basically politics for the last 35 years. Privatization, Small Government, Low Taxes, Global free trade, very few if any economic restrictions. It's the worst.

somehow you spelled 'best' wrong

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
obama is a neoliberal hth

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:negative:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
neoliberals are not inherently small government although they often are

the food stamps program for example is good for business (can cut wages more) and is big government

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

Hahaha is the CRA anywhere near as brutal with hunting down expats for taxes?

no, they're p chill and we clearly pass closer-connection for the US, but still I don't want the hassle

e: if CRA decides that you're intending to return, then they can consider you to still be a resident for tax purposes. it's not like the US with worldwide income for citizens and GC holders, just a "temporary vs permanent" classification

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
oh thats not nearly as bad then

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

someone light the rotor signal, he has very strong opinions on water allocation policy in the state of california

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shaggar posted:

free trade is ftw

maniacdevnull posted:

somehow you spelled 'best' wrong

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only racists oppose free trade.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also unlike SF you can actually buy food after midnight there

lol dont you live in mountain view

whitebread as gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

lol dont you live in mountain view

whitebread as gently caress

it's twice as asian as the state average (26%)

but yeah it's the burbs - we're still adjusting

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the whole "oh no without california how will we eat?!" hand-wringing is so stupid. oh gee how about we actually grow poo poo in the rest of the US like we used to do before you decided to just dump water into the desert until things turned green and trucking it cross country?

i'm not talking about "only eat within 100 miles" locavore poo poo i'm just saying there might be better places for water intensive crops. a town near where i grew up used to be the largest producer of asparagus in the us and it comes up like a weed with minimal tending in my parent's garden but nope now 80% of the us's supply of a water-intensive to grow stinky-pee vegetable comes from a state in massive drought.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

oh lol, it's specifically about legal protections, not actual public attitudes. people can't do hate crimes at you but they can give you the stinkeye and whisper behind your back all they want

quote:

Pittsburgh received the second highest grade in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality among seven cities in Pennsylvania, according to a report released Wednesday by the Human Rights Campaign.

driest water etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Forums Terrorist posted:

driest water etc.

second least ignorant city in PA.

keep reaching for the stars pittsburgh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Forums Terrorist posted:

driest water etc.
tallest midget
thinnest sysadmin
happiest yosposter
etc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

least subhuman fatty

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

El_Elegante posted:

who you callin' spooks, peckerwood?

:yikes:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

this is also the point at which every "lets lure high tech businesses to texas/minnesota/whatever" stalls out

step 1) ceo says north carolina is about to write us a huge check to move the company so hey hey i hear raleigh has great schools!
step 2) engineers and salespeople all log on to linkedin simultaneously
step 3) there is no step 3

step 3 is that they do it anyway, because the ceo has a summer home next to their proposed office

developers are all interchangeable, right? we'll just hire new ones when we get there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i briefly worked for a company that moved from nj to the flyover states for tax poo poo, then moved from the flyover states to boston because they hired a new ceo who had his principal residence there

they lost 80%+ of the developers on each move

edit: also the (already rich) founders kept their families and principal residences in chicago. i bet the nj office was about tax poo poo too

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 14, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

developers are all interchangeable, right? we'll just hire new ones when we get there

they are. you know it to be true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as a rule of thumb: if you are so rich you commute to the office by jet, maybe you don't need a job anymore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
and that goes double for helicopter commutes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

this is a picture of me telling Central Valley farmers that they have to pay market rates for their water

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

they are. you know it to be true

they can be if your methodologies are right

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

this is a picture of me telling Central Valley farmers that they have to pay market rates for their water
sweet 'stache, rotor

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

bourgeois socially liberal people who trust in the markets and individuals acting in their own interest to give good outcomes, except in some specific cases of market failures where they want the government to intervene

most of the world just calls these people conservatives

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so judging by the discussion itt, "neoliberal" is a meaningless term to use however you wish

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Werthog 95 posted:

so judging by the discussion itt, "neoliberal" is a meaningless term to use however you wish

im a middle class neoliberal

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

you know those people who go "i'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative"?

they're neo-liberals

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

im a middle class neoliberal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41bhCXqdJHM

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I've always understood "neoliberal" to mean Goldwater Republican

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

cool i just learned 3 chords too let's start a band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

neoliberal: "I think public schools are great, but my kids go to private ones so let's definitely lower property taxes"

• Locked thread