Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, see, my problem with this logic is where the heck do all the liberals come from in this scenario? We're not currently in an era of one-party dominance anywhere near what caused the realignments like 1968 or 1932. If Democrats had won in 2010 and 2014 I'd 100% buy this, but as it stands I'm skeptical that the Democrats could split and remain viable. It remains to be seen whether the "Obama Coalition" will actually show up in a non-Presidential year (or for a white Presidential candidate).

If you think we were in an era of one party dominance in 1968 you're incredibly naive. Kennedy won by literally the slimmest of margins in 1960 and while LBJ won comfortably in 1964, by 68 everyone was in shambles.

The New Deal also really wasn't a realignment because it heavily depended on Dixiecrats to support their policies, and even then said Dixiecrats often made it difficult or impossible to extend those programs to minorities.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Which young people are you talking about, the ones that notoriously don't loving vote?

Young people don't stay young forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

computer parts posted:

Young people don't stay young forever.

I, a cynical young person disillusioned with the modern world, who grew up in a dysfunctional USA where "not getting things done" and "basically being the Empire from Star Wars to the rest of the world" are the norms, am purely anecdotally 100% sure that most of the rest of my generation don't give a gently caress and will continue their nihilism forever unless government magically starts working. Which of course won't happen until they vote, which of course won't happen.

Honestly that's my "nyeeh my generation's totally smarter than all the previous generations and totally won't follow similar statistical trends as them" whiny opinion not backed up in fact but that's how I see the world right now. Thanks for listening :downs:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I, a cynical young person disillusioned with the modern world, who grew up in a dysfunctional USA where "not getting things done" and "basically being the Empire from Star Wars to the rest of the world" are the norms, am purely anecdotally 100% sure that most of the rest of my generation don't give a gently caress and will continue their nihilism forever unless government magically starts working. Which of course won't happen until they vote, which of course won't happen.

Honestly that's my "nyeeh my generation's totally smarter than all the previous generations and totally won't follow similar statistical trends as them" whiny opinion not backed up in fact but that's how I see the world right now. Thanks for listening :downs:

The US has actually been fairly benign the past 6 years. I mean even the past decade we only overthrew one government without international approval.

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Any chance of an EO on amnesty being brought up now as signal its going to be used as a bargaining chip to be taken off the table in budget/government shutdown talks? Or is this just basic electioneering stuff for 2016.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The US has actually been fairly benign the past 6 years. I mean even the past decade we only overthrew one government without international approval.
I'd say this is one of those "but you gently caress ONE goat..." things.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ether Drunk posted:

Any chance of an EO on amnesty being brought up now as signal its going to be used as a bargaining chip to be taken off the table in budget/government shutdown talks? Or is this just basic electioneering stuff for 2016.

Obama is just cementing his empire before the GOP can stop him :freep:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even though internet nerds hate it, Comic Sans is actually an extremely legible font, including for people with poor vision or marginal English skills. The letterforms are kept quite distinct and are very easy on the eyes.

Can we make this the thread title?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ether Drunk posted:

Obama's been trying to get immigration through for his whole presidency. He's been talking about forcing things through via executive order for a while and only held of until after the election because the Democratic Senators asked him to. Which appears to have helped them not at all, and I have a feeling would have actually helped them. Republicans are going to vote in midterms while Democrats stay home, actually doing something on immigration might have at least somewhat energized some Democrats to come out and vote.

If he does go through with it, he can't bargain it away in a deal with Republicans. The fact that he's already announced more or less what he's going to do also gives very little wiggle room. You can't put out promises like that and then not fulfill them without consequences. Promises in to do a general something you can drop, promises to do a specific thing not so much.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Chuck Todd was just asking Carly Fiorina if she was going to run for President. What the hell is going on with the GOP? Do they literally have noone to run in 2016?
Did she say, "Only if I can get Meg Whitman to run with me - together we're unstoppable!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

Why not, it was good enough for the Higgs Boson announcement.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hey! Here's an exciting article!

http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/scrutineer/2014/11/14/voter-purges-alteruspoliticalmap.html

quote:

Interstate Crosscheck is a computerized system meant to identify fraudulent voters. While Crosscheck’s list of nearly 7 million names of “potential” double voters has yet to unearth, as of this writing, a single illegal vote this year, it did help Republican elections officials scrub voters from registries, enough, it appears, to have swung several important Senate and governor’s races in favor of the GOP.

There is good reason to believe that Crosscheck-related voter purges helped propel Republican candidates to slim victories in Senate races in Colorado and North Carolina, as well a tight gubernatorial race in Kansas.

Interstate Crosscheck is a computer system designed to capture the names of voters who have Illegally voted twice in the same election in two different states. The program is run by Kansas’ Republican Secretary of State Kris Kobach. Kobach’s office compares the complete voting rolls of participating states to tag “potential” double voters, those who have illegally voted twice in the same election in two states.

These names are then sent back to the state governments to inform an investigation of duplicate names on the voter rolls. While Kobach advertises Crosscheck as matching numerous identifiers, including the Social Security numbers and dates of birth of voters, a six-month investigation by Al Jazeera America revealed that Crosscheck rosters caught nothing more than matching first and last names. And voters remain on the suspect list even when middle names, Social Security numbers and suffixes (Jr., Sr.) don’t match. Yet all these people — the list contains nearly seven million names — are subject to losing their vote.

The program’s method of identifying and purging voters especially threaten the registrations of minority voters who are vulnerable because African-American, Asian-American and Hispanics are 67 percent more likely than white voters to share America’s most common names: Jackson, Washington, Lee, Rodriguez and so on.

It is no surprise that Republicans control most of the top election positions in Crosscheck’s 27 participating states. In all, Crosscheck tagged a breathtaking 6,951,484 voters for the possible removal from the voter rolls as “potential” duplicate voters.

Duplicate or double voting is a crime punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison. Yet, despite this supposed vote-fraud crime wave, not one suspect on Crosscheck lists was charged, although prosecutors would have access to any alleged fraudsters’ names and addresses.

The Crosscheck list purges could easily account for Republican victories in at least two Senate races. In North Carolina, the GOP’s Thom Tillis won over incumbent Sen. Kay Hagan by just 48,511 votes. Crosscheck tagged a breathtaking 589,393 North Carolinians as possible illegal double voters (though state elections officials cut that down to roughly 190,000).

In Colorado, Republican Cory Gardner was able to force out incumbent Senator Mark Udall in a race that had poll-watchers guessing all summer. The outcome might have been more predictable if Colorado had made public that 300,842 of the state’s voters were now subject to being purged from the voter rolls.

The Rocky Mountain State’s elections officials have a history of cleansing voter rolls without public explanation. Before the 2008 election, Colorado’s GOP Sec. of State Donetta Davidson began an unprecedented scrub of the electoral rolls, disenfranchising nearly one in six voters [PDF].

Not everyone on the Crosscheck lists loses their vote. But the purges are, nevertheless, huge. Just one state, Virginia, canceled the registrations of 41,637 voters last year, 13.5 percent of those on the list — and has since announced it will remove many more [PDF].

Other states’ voting officials are less forthcoming about their purges. For example, North Carolina and Ohio refused to release their Crosscheck lists on the grounds that all these voters, more than a million in those two states, are subjects of criminal investigation, which allows them to keep the information confidential.

If other states followed Virginia and scrubbed just 13.5 percent of their Crosscheck lists, that would more than cover the spread in the North Carolina Senate race and significantly contributed to the margins of victory in several other states. Moreover, this could account for the comeback victory of incumbent governor Sam Brownback in Kansas. Kansas originated Crosscheck and its Secretaries of State have been using it to promote the cleansing of voter rolls since 2005

Statistician Nate Silver wrote that there was a nearly universal error in polls leading up to this election. Silver found that, on average, pre-election polls showed Democrats winning four percentage points more of the vote than recorded in the official final tallies in Senate races, and 3.4 percent in the gubernatorial ones.

But journalist Brad Friedman, who tracks vote suppression techniques state by state, has another explanation. Friedman told Al Jazeera that what Silver calls an error in polling may in fact be a reflection of the votes lost to partisan manipulation of the voting system. Friedman accounts for many of the so-called pre-election polling “errors” by examining the Democratic votes lost to Crosscheck and several other vote suppression tactics such as Photo ID restrictions, missing voter registrations and a shortage of paper ballots.

The purge of those snared in the Crosscheck dragnet has only begun. The process of actually removing names from the voter rolls is slow and could take months, even years. It will likely have a bigger impact on the 2016 race than seen last week.

The ultimate swing state in the Presidential race remains Ohio, whose Republican secretary of state, John Husted, has embraced Crosscheck. Columbus State University professor Robert Fitrakis, an expert in voting law, tells Al Jazeera that he has spoken to county voting officials who are concerned that that Husted is pushing counties to scrub voter rolls of “duplicates” within 30 days of receiving the names from the Secretary of State. This gives counties little time and no resources to verify if the accused voter has, in fact, voted in a second state.

Husted’s office has refused to reveal the 469,201 names on Ohio’s Crosscheck list. How many will officials in Ohio ultimately scrub from the voter rolls? The answer may determine who will choose our next president: the voters or Crosscheck.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm still pretty angry that Jon "Why should we cater to those blacks" Husted is still in office after being an unrepentant far-right rear end in a top hat.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

If you think we were in an era of one party dominance in 1968 you're incredibly naive. Kennedy won by literally the slimmest of margins in 1960 and while LBJ won comfortably in 1964, by 68 everyone was in shambles.

The period from 1932-1968 was one-party dominated - yeah Eisenhower won but he was pretty moderate domestically (Democrats originally tried to get him to run as a Dem) and he was a popular war-hero. Obviously 1968 was the endpoint of that era.

computer parts posted:

The New Deal also really wasn't a realignment because it heavily depended on Dixiecrats to support their policies, and even then said Dixiecrats often made it difficult or impossible to extend those programs to minorities.

1932 was a re-alignment in the sense that from 1864 to 1932, the only Democrats elected as President were (a) Grover Cleveland who won after Hayes was perceived as having stolen the election in the only electoral crisis greater than Bush/Gore, and (b) Woodrow Wilson who only won after a popular former Republican President ran as a Third Party to split the race three ways.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Did she say, "Only if I can get Meg Whitman to run with me - together we're unstoppable!"

Oh man I wish. Throw in Palin, Bachmann, Mia Love, Sharron Angle, and a few others in cabinet positions for the ultimate feminist administration.

FAUXTON posted:

Why not, it was good enough for the Higgs Boson announcement.

The ultimate troll.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Jackson Taus posted:

The period from 1932-1968 was one-party dominated - yeah Eisenhower won but he was pretty moderate domestically (Democrats originally tried to get him to run as a Dem) and he was a popular war-hero. Obviously 1968 was the endpoint of that era.

Fun trivia, the last time a Republican won the white house without someone name Nixon or Bush on the ticket was Herbert Hoover in 1928

and Jeb might continue that run in 2016

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd say this is one of those "but you gently caress ONE goat..." things.
Assuming you're talking about Libya, they asked for us to help overthrow their government, so it doesn't count.:colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

Assuming you're talking about Libya, they asked for us to help overthrow their government, so it doesn't count.:colbert:

Yeah, I meant Iraq.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I meant Iraq.
Iraq's government was overthrown in 2003, so it's been more than 10 years. (About 11 years and about six months actually, since Saddam Hussein went into hiding basically right after we invaded.) God, it's amazing horrifying to think that it's already been more than 11 years since we invaded Iraq.

And now we're probably going to get dragged back into Iraq to deal with ISIS ISIL daesh.:suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 17, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Haha, jesus christ. This needs to get as much publicity as possible.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even though internet nerds hate it, Comic Sans is actually an extremely legible font, including for people with poor vision or marginal English skills. The letterforms are kept quite distinct and are very easy on the eyes.

I agree; legislation should generally be written in Comic Sans.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I agree; legislation should generally be written in Comic Sans.

Contact your Senator and ask him to support my bill to make ballots available in Comic Sans.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Which young people are you talking about, the ones that notoriously don't loving vote?

They will. Everyone gets either gets old or dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pope Guilty posted:

Contact your Senator and ask him to support my bill to make ballots available in Comic Sans.

I only vote in Wingdings. It's what Jefferson would have done had Wingdings been developed at the time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

I only vote in Wingdings. It's what Jefferson would have done had Wingdings been developed at the time.

Don't blame me, I voted for þ◙░ÄÆt│Æ◄┌Ä█Ω4C▌▀╕~Φ╢╕│╦

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I meant Iraq.

Well there was also Haiti and the failed revolution in Venezuela in 2002 and I'm sure that certain "America can do no right" folks would talk about the color revolutions. Plus, sort of, Afghanistan which really shouldn't count because we were totally content to leave the Taliban alone until 9/11 happened and the ICU in Somalia which were like the Taliban except they came to power after 9/11 happened and were thus immediately bombed out.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Accretionist posted:

Haha, jesus christ. This needs to get as much publicity as possible.

You didn't know that was happening already? Has been ramping up over the last decade.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

effectual posted:

You didn't know that was happening already? Has been ramping up over the last decade.

I had no idea they'd practically industrialized the process of bullshitting up lists of apparently millions of non-Republicans to purge.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 17, 2014

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

FAUXTON posted:

The ultimate troll.

"Groundbreaking scientific discovery announced by someone doing the Cornholio thing with their shirt"

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Interesting to note Grimes did several points worse (56.2%-40.7%) than McConnell's 2008 challenger Bruce Lunsford (53%-47%).

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Moody recently left Yahoo for CNN, I think this is his first big piece for them

---
How the GOP used Twitter to stretch election laws

Republicans and outside groups used anonymous Twitter accounts to share internal polling data ahead of the midterm elections, CNN has learned, a practice that raises questions about whether they violated campaign finance laws that prohibit coordination.

--

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/politics/twitter-republicans-outside-groups/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008

Eregos posted:

Interesting to note Grimes did several points worse (56.2%-40.7%) than McConnell's 2008 challenger Bruce Lunsford (53%-47%).

A lot of candidates under-performed drastically this cycle. Wendy Davis, despite her fundraising and ground game, lost by 20 points. When Bill White ran against Gov. Perry in 2010 he lost by around 12 points.

I also remember hearing how there was talk that a tactical loss could benefit Grimes, after-all Kentucky does have a Governor's race coming up next year and Beshear is term limited. I don't know how that will play out now that she's lost by such a huge margin.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
He makes me so happy (Bernie Sanders doing his 2 minute pitch on CNN):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNVD2w0xDk

He's getting better at this. Sanders still isn't a serious contender, but when he puts a good face on an actual left wing position in the national dialog the position demands to be taken more seriously (I hope).

Also, you'll notice at the end the reporter tries to knock Bernie's "Vermont" accent. He just smiles, in part because it's a friendly jab but also because it's not a Vermont accent. Bernie Sanders was born in Brooklyn, and he's had a Brooklyn accent that has been borderline unintelligible his whole life. Vermonters (and everybody else) just ate it up as a Vermont accent, which sounds similar but is well past the line into unintelligible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Toyota's move to Texas (from California) is back in the news! They were banking on 50% employee retention, but it's going to be closer to 30%.

It's a real Texas Miracle~~~~

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

IF ( newJob > 0 ) THEN texas.reportMiracle( );

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

703 posted:

How the GOP used Twitter to stretch election laws

Republicans and outside groups used anonymous Twitter accounts to share internal polling data ahead of the midterm elections, CNN has learned, a practice that raises questions about whether they violated campaign finance laws that prohibit coordination.
--
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/politics/twitter-republicans-outside-groups/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Yeah, they're allegedly doing the same thing with data sharing.

Cheekio posted:

He's getting better at this. Sanders still isn't a serious contender, but when he puts a good face on an actual left wing position in the national dialog the position demands to be taken more seriously (I hope).

Also, you'll notice at the end the reporter tries to knock Bernie's "Vermont" accent. He just smiles, in part because it's a friendly jab but also because it's not a Vermont accent. Bernie Sanders was born in Brooklyn, and he's had a Brooklyn accent that has been borderline unintelligible his whole life. Vermonters (and everybody else) just ate it up as a Vermont accent, which sounds similar but is well past the line into unintelligible.

I sort of hope that Bernie is more successful at the "move the Overton Window" role than Kucinich et al were in past years. I would think that being a Senator helps, and I imagine it also helps if not a lot of folks run. In a field with 6 center-left folks and 2-3 solid left-wing folks, it's easy for the media to focus on the 6 centrists, but if Hillary clears the field as well as it's looking like she might, we could have a 2015-2016 primary season where Bernie is in 2nd or 3rd place after Hillary, since most of the moderates would sit out to avoid pissing her off and wasting their money.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Let's have some historical quotes of the day

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual that the use of the drug itself" - Jimmy Carter,1977

"Each of us has a responsibility to be intolerant of drug use anywhere, any time, by anybody" - Nancy Reagan, 1987

With bonus statistic:
"Among high school seniors, perception that marihuana [sic] regularly is harmful hit a low of 35 percent in 1978, rising to 70 percent by 1985"

Source for all three is The American Disease by David Musto, a book about the ebb and flow of attitudes on drugs through american history and something you should all look into reading

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Scott Walker is going to start drug testing for food stamps . This is illegal (it's a federal program) and unconstitutional (see what happened to Florida) but Scott Walker is one of the most terrible human beings that walks the earth so here we go

in case there was still any doubt in your mind, here is further evidence Darren Wilson should never have been trusted with a piece of string, much less a position of authority

By the way, when they refuse to indict him he will "immediately" return to service.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Don't forget: The KKK was also threatening to violent suppress any riots if they don't indict.

Well, Anon went and outed all the known KKK members last week, including a Ferguson Police Officer, and a previous Deputy Chief of Police.

http://aattp.org/anonymous-unmasks-racist-kkk-creeps-threatening-lethal-force-against-ferguson-protectors-imagesvideo/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 17, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
You gotta love anon when it comes to stuff like this.

Also: Ferguson police has a tradition of racism? Color me shocked.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Cheekio posted:

God I'm waiting for him to tell the CNN hosts "to hell with your fetishization of compromise and bipartisanship for the sake of compromise and bipartisanship, merits or lack thereof of each side be damned".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

OAquinas posted:

Also: Ferguson police has a tradition of racism? Color me shocked.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread