Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A 5spd obviously would be better and I'm not sure where on earth you can find a transmission or even an adapter that would fit all that. I know you want to keep it as original as possible.

That's why I'm thinking a 2 speed rear end would be good, and at least "period" correct.

Edit: again its an awesome truck! Good work!

They came with a whole bunch of different transmissions so I could find one if I spent the time looking. No joke though the T9 in mine was the only one with a shift pattern like a normal 4 speed. All the other ones had crazy shift patterns. Ill take a picture of my service manual next time I remember when Im out in the shop. Some of them were hilarious.

And thanks, I cant wait to get all the details fixed on it now that I have the major stuff done and make it a really nice truck.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A Gear Vendors would be neat if you were made out of money, but I dunno what the interchange options are like on that transmission. You could try calling their gear spergs and try to work as much free information out of them as you can.

I would consider this for sure as long as I didnt have to cut up anything original. It would be awesome to split gears and pretend Im driving a real big rig, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Unlike a Scout you probably have a long enough driveshaft to stick a Vendors unit on the end of it. You should call them and see what they've got, their website only lists installs for the 'big three' of basically pickup trucks but I know they can build it for basically any transfer case/tranny output.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Old trucks had some funky rear end shifts. Ever seen a 13spd? Origami would be easier.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Unlike a Scout you probably have a long enough driveshaft to stick a Vendors unit on the end of it. You should call them and see what they've got, their website only lists installs for the 'big three' of basically pickup trucks but I know they can build it for basically any transfer case/tranny output.

I didn't think there was a way to fit a GV without shortening the driveshaft since it fits on the trans output where the driveshaft would normally attach. Or are you saying that the Scout's driveshaft is too short for shortening it to be a option?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Old trucks had some funky rear end shifts. Ever seen a 13spd? Origami would be easier.

thirteen holes aren't so bad. eighteen gets funky, but you just skip the fuckers that aren't needed.

Its the old twin sticks you gotta watch out for.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Its the old twin sticks you gotta watch out for.

I'd love to see one, but not so much drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bandman posted:

I didn't think there was a way to fit a GV without shortening the driveshaft since it fits on the trans output where the driveshaft would normally attach. Or are you saying that the Scout's driveshaft is too short for shortening it to be a option?

The latter. The Scout driveshaft is so short already that the extra length to the transmission tail from the GV unit would probably make it too short.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Are you sure you don't want a twin stick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_AHufASkJA

Pretty sure the cool dog and beard come with it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh I definitely want a twin stick, we were talking about how to make the GV unit actuated with a stick in IRC.

I also messed with the timing a lot today. Holy hell Ive almost got it nailed. I advanced it until juuuuust before it woudnt start and what a huge difference. The same hill I was trying to climb and losing speed on yesterday in 3rd I was climbing in 4th with power to spare. Its a whole new truck right now and not as terrifying to drive. It now has the straight 6 torque it should have.

Its crazy how much the timing makes a difference on this engine. If Im off by a few degrees on the Chevy it pretty much makes no difference. On the IH just moving the timing by what seems like 1 degree makes it a whole new engine. Its hard to describe but when the timing was a little too retarded it seemed like anything past half throttle just bogged and lost power. Now that I have it close or right on it revs fast and easy in gear or out. The retarded timing made downshifting a problem because it would hesitate to rev and Id have to wait for the engine to get up to speed before moving to the lower gear. Now I can just blip the throttle and nail downshifts like nothing. I think 0-40 has improved by a few solid seconds, from at least 20 down to 17.

Im having so much fun with this truck. Depending on how much it snows tonight I plan on getting 4 new tires put on it tomorrow. I found a place that will deal with split rims and I have 4 newish bias plys to go on. Im gonna do the steers and the 2 outside ones in the back to hide the old tires on the inside.

e: what did happen to Usedsulightsales? He had a cool, manley thread :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having never worked on something quite that old - does it have a vacuum advance or weights or anything, or is it static timing only?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having never worked on something quite that old - does it have a vacuum advance or weights or anything, or is it static timing only?

On the old IH Farmall tractors I've looked at, the dizzy is weighted. On later (70s+) poo poo spreaders the dizzy is vacuum advance (and has interchange with a Delco dizzy IIRC so you can swap up to a Pertronix). I'm curious too!

Here's a '58 Farmall dizzy getting dismantled and fixed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JOjmHCYME4

edit: Looks like '70s IHs came from the factory with either a Delco or Holley vacuum advance dizzy, but I don't know too much about them.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 14, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

edit: Looks like '70s IHs came from the factory with either a Delco or Holley vacuum advance dizzy, but I don't know too much about them.

That part is right.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mine is a Delco and it does have vacuum advance. Its a different setup than I was familiar with and I just figured out how to work it. The reason it was starting so hard originally was that the advance was sticking because I didnt know it was supposed to move on the outside of the dizzy. Once I figured that out I was able to get it to start and still have the timing advanced enough so that it wasnt a total dog for making power. What happens is that the vacuum advance increases the timing as soon as the engine starts and begins making vacuum. Then it moves around like a normal setup when I drive.

As far as I know it doesnt have mechanical spring-weight advance.

Figured out what that wicked vibration was this morning. I didnt tighten down the plate the connects the driveshaft to the trans, oops.

Drives like a dream now with plenty of power and no vibration. Now its ready for tires and Im doing that on Monday. That should get rid of the rest of the vibrations and make the truck look a lot nicer without those old dry rotted, flat spotted tires.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dropped it off at the tire place this morning and Im all worried about it like I just left my kid at daycare for the first time :ohdear:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Mine is a Delco and it does have vacuum advance. Its a different setup than I was familiar with and I just figured out how to work it. The reason it was starting so hard originally was that the advance was sticking because I didnt know it was supposed to move on the outside of the dizzy. Once I figured that out I was able to get it to start and still have the timing advanced enough so that it wasnt a total dog for making power. What happens is that the vacuum advance increases the timing as soon as the engine starts and begins making vacuum. Then it moves around like a normal setup when I drive.

Do you need to disconnect the vacuum advance to set the timing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Do you need to disconnect the vacuum advance to set the timing?

I'm pretty sure that's the case for any vacuum-advance distributor.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thats the weird part on this one is that I dont think you are supposed to. It has 2 timing adjustments, one for the distributor and one for the vacuum advance. Thats the part that I figured out afterwards and got it to start easily and have enough power. The vacuum line is metal also and would be a pain to undo each time I played with the timing.

e: forgot a word

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 17, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So one of the rings on my wheels was bad so they were only able to put 3 of the new tires on. Does anyone know a good place to get new truck wheels? Id like to get rid of the split rims if I can.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What diameter do you want and what is your lug pattern? I remember it's six-by-huge but I can't remember the rest.

If you want to put some sick dubs on that thing and it's the same pattern as an M715 or M35A2 I know where you can get a billion of those wheels for pretty cheap :haw:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Theyre 16 inch in diameter and yea 6 by huge. Ill look up the pattern later when I get home.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats the weird part on this one is that I dont think you are supposed to. It has 2 timing adjustments, one for the distributor and one for the vacuum advance. Thats the part that I figured out afterwards and got it to start easily and have enough power. The vacuum line is metal also and would be a pain to undo each time I played with the timing.

e: forgot a word

That's why I phrased my question that way. Sounds very strange indeed, any photos of the distributor? Curiosity only, I don't know anything about that setup.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im out in the shop now so Ill get some pics and post them later. Im changing the gear oil in the rear end right now. Its so weird, it just smells like unscented candle wax. It has to be the original mineral oil like it had in the trans before I changed it. So weird to not have that awful gear oil smell which I kinda actually like in a "smells bad in a good kinda way".

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When I did my Rover's diffs it had that... ugh this is bad oil.

Center box though smelled bad, but it wasn't that rotten awful oil smell.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It almost has the viscosity of grease. I feel bad that I was driving it with that horrible oil in there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

StormDrain posted:

That's why I phrased my question that way. Sounds very strange indeed, any photos of the distributor? Curiosity only, I don't know anything about that setup.

Ok so I finally remembered to get pics, this is what the setup on the distributor is like:

That bolt right below where it says Delco is the one to set the timing for normal operation. That screw off to the right is the one that adjusts the vacuum advance. I never unhooked the vacuum line to it while messing with it but its set up so right, right now. I might have not done it correctly but the setup works so mint right now, just doing it by ear and trying hot-starts.

And here are some of the crazy shift patterns that luckily I wasnt blessed with. Mine is the T9 (bottom left) which is a normal 4 speed pattern. Its been enough to get used to double clutching it that Im so glad my trans isnt one of those crazy shift patterns.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sudo Echo posted:

Are you sure you don't want a twin stick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_AHufASkJA

Pretty sure the cool dog and beard come with it.

Isn't that (goon) used sunlight sales?
What happened to him?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Ok so I finally remembered to get pics, this is what the setup on the distributor is like:

That bolt right below where it says Delco is the one to set the timing for normal operation. That screw off to the right is the one that adjusts the vacuum advance. I never unhooked the vacuum line to it while messing with it but its set up so right, right now. I might have not done it correctly but the setup works so mint right now, just doing it by ear and trying hot-starts.

And here are some of the crazy shift patterns that luckily I wasnt blessed with. Mine is the T9 (bottom left) which is a normal 4 speed pattern. Its been enough to get used to double clutching it that Im so glad my trans isnt one of those crazy shift patterns.

Semi-educated guess here is that the "First speed forward" there on the bottom-right is actually a crawler gear and you're meant to start out in second most of the time. With it engaged the truck would probably top out at 2.5 MPH while developing enough force from the drawbar to pull-start a medium-sized railway locomotive. If I remember tonight I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I saved off E-bay of a Chevy sewer cleaning truck with the strangest shift pattern I've ever seen. Changed half-way though from "Split gear, upshift" to "Upshift, then split", IIRC.

Edit:
Here is the shift pattern as promised, from a GMC "7500 V-Eight" according to its escutcheons, with a High-Velocity sewer cleaner from The F.E. Meyers & Bro. Company of Ashland, Ohio (A division of the McNeil Corporation).

Here are a few more I turned up, including a post off the Corvette forums describing a semi-automatic gearbox I'd love to know more about.

Of course Ford would come up with this.

Some more odd ducks from the files of "Now I understand why some call them '13-letter poo poo-spreader'."

:froggonk:

What must certainly be a joke, but is none-the-less realized as a shift knob and therefor interesting.

:psyboom:

I wouldn't have believed it if it weren't right there on an actual vehicle, albeit a tractor.

Red_October_7000 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 28, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because we are posting screwy shift patterns... This is from a John Deere 4020

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Red_October_7000 posted:

Semi-educated guess here is that the "First speed forward" there on the bottom-right is actually a crawler gear and you're meant to start out in second most of the time. With it engaged the truck would probably top out at 2.5 MPH while developing enough force from the drawbar to pull-start a medium-sized railway locomotive. If I remember tonight I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I saved off E-bay of a Chevy sewer cleaning truck with the strangest shift pattern I've ever seen. Changed half-way though from "Split gear, upshift" to "Upshift, then split", IIRC.

Edit:
Here is the shift pattern as promised, from a GMC "7500 V-Eight" according to its escutcheons, with a High-Velocity sewer cleaner from The F.E. Meyers & Bro. Company of Ashland, Ohio (A division of the McNeil Corporation).

This is actually an extremely common pattern in old medium duty trucks. It's just a 5 and a 2. They're tricky bitches at first getting the skills down to split smoothly, but after a while it's cake.

Unloaded, you can just cruise around in high without a problem, loaded to all hell you'll end up skipping various gears unless you're dragging rear end up an endless but mild hill. Can almost always launch in second low, even when loaded.

e: the other common 10 speed is the roadranger, which looks like a dogleg 5 speed, but you shift 1-5, shift to high and then 1-5 pattern becomes 6-10. Funkier versions sometimes skip 1st gear/position on the high side.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 30, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea even my regular old JD has a weird shift pattern that does make sense:

3R

Since I use 1-R the most its awesome that they are right in line since Im shifting from H-L and 1-R the most.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time and it makes me think of the C10 back before the days of 300hp Camrys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWIAXsfZus

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Scored a nice door today for $100. The inside of the doors on my truck are really rusty, enough that to rebuild them would take some kevbalas like skills and thats way more talent than I have. My buddies grandfather picked up a passengers side door for me over the summer so I just got this drivers side. Just a little dent and some small, easily fixable rust.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did a quick side job 1.8T timing belt today for my friends brother

Service position

This has to worth a few HP :/

New stuff

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I started the lift on the Forester today. A fellow goon gave me a set of KYBs (all 4) with one inch lift blocks for the back. I bought the blocks for the front and finally started putting it all on today. I had to get new strut tops since I was going to be doing the work anyway and knocked out the hardware in the new tops for longer bolts so I would be able to fit the lift blocks. My uncle and I decided to spot weld the new bolts to the new top hats and it ended up taking longer than we expected so we only got the rears done today. Otherwise it came out loving sweet so far and it went up more than an inch

Before

After, almost 2 inches. Im sure its going to settle in time but Im happy with the results so far.

Uncle welding the bolts to the top hats

How its sits currently with the rake

I cant wait to do the front tomorrow. It will be way easier since we wont have to weld anything. The rear top hats are hosed when it comes to access to the bolts, the fronts should be free and easy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the front done today. We welded the bolts to the top hats anyway, it still would have been a bitch to get to the bolt heads in the wheel well.

Front before

And after

And end result side shot

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Boss. That thing is the perfect height now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I wouldnt go any higher myself and now it looks like Im going to have to get the adjustable rear trailing arms to fix the spacing in the wheel well in the back. My plan was to keep this car stock when I got it but thats the way of the road, boys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like you've got plenty of room in the front wheel wells that could be otherwise providing delicious caster as well, but we've already talked about that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That needs MAll-Terrains and some tube sill protection.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

These are only just over 400 bucks for the 4 :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Shut up and give some one your money right now for those.

Any other projects you have been working on, or is it to drat cold to do much of anything else?