Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/29759_.html

I't's not better against pyro since the tokens you make can't block and most times the rabblemaster is just gonna die....

I meant it pressures Pyro a lot better. They can just cast 2 spells and trade with your Elf. They have to cast a spell every turn to chump your goblins plus 2(or their Pyro) to trade with the Rabblemeister. But yeah, he'll probably just get bolted. But SBE into Ol' Rabbles has to feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Do you bring it in for belcher/storm as an option against warrens?

I don't because maelstrom pulse is already in the deck and I take it from a one of to a two of against those decks. But i sideboard out some direct damage to add mindbreak traps if they are in the SB. I haven't seen much combo lately so my SB is weak on combo hate.

And I have no idea why you would use rabble master over bbe.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't because maelstrom pulse is already in the deck and I take it from a one of to a two of against those decks. But i sideboard out some direct damage to add mindbreak traps if they are in the SB. I haven't seen much combo lately so my SB is weak on combo hate.

And I have no idea why you would use rabble master over bbe.

I have Golgari Charm in my board and that comes on every time. Basically any card thay can be read as "kill all the goblins" comes in, especially if it can be cast on turn 2. I side out my Hymns against Belcher because they're worthless by the time I can cast them. I leave the direct damage in because they usually go off with 10/12 goblins and hope that gets there. Last time I played it with Jund, I Thoughtseized his Belcher and got 8-Goblin'd on the play. I ended up dying to exact damage because I went 7 turns straight without drawing a creature or burn spell (I had sided my Bolts out and I drew 7 lands in a row.) Then the same exact thing happened a week later in the semifinals of a GPT with me playing RUG Delver. And that's the story of why I lost to burn in round 2 of the GP.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I have Golgari Charm in my board and that comes on every time. Basically any card thay can be read as "kill all the goblins" comes in, especially if it can be cast on turn 2. I side out my Hymns against Belcher because they're worthless by the time I can cast them. I leave the direct damage in because they usually go off with 10/12 goblins and hope that gets there. Last time I played it with Jund, I Thoughtseized his Belcher and got 8-Goblin'd on the play. I ended up dying to exact damage because I went 7 turns straight without drawing a creature or burn spell (I had sided my Bolts out and I drew 7 lands in a row.) Then the same exact thing happened a week later in the semifinals of a GPT with me playing RUG Delver. And that's the story of why I lost to burn in round 2 of the GP.

Oh god that's terrible. Yeah I forgot about golgari charm but it's in my SB as well for goblins along with toxic deluge and pyroclasm.

My combo meta SB looks like this
2 reb
1 pyroblast
2 pclasm
2 golgari charm
1 chains of Mephistopheles
3 mindbreak trap
3 engineered plague
1 toxic deluge

Oh I actually got to chains the other day against omni-tell. He went to play SnT, and dropped omniscience, he had one card left in his hand, so I dropped Chains. He stared at it. Then showed me the enter the infinite. Nothing he could do because if he had cast it he wouldn't have any cards in hand which means he would just mill himself. And since I had a resolved Lilly I could lock him.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh god that's terrible. Yeah I forgot about golgari charm but it's in my SB as well for goblins along with toxic deluge and pyroclasm.

My combo meta SB looks like this
2 reb
1 pyroblast
2 pclasm
2 golgari charm
1 chains of Mephistopheles
3 mindbreak trap
3 engineered plague
1 toxic deluge

Oh I actually got to chains the other day against omni-tell. He went to play SnT, and dropped omniscience, he had one card left in his hand, so I dropped Chains. He stared at it. Then showed me the enter the infinite. Nothing he could do because if he had cast it he wouldn't have any cards in hand which means he would just mill himself. And since I had a resolved Lilly I could lock him.

I've only resolved Chains once, in round 3 of the GP. It was game 1 of the mirror when I had lethal on board and he had nothing but a few lands. It was less than impressive in that situation.

You might want to look into Jund Charm or Volcanic Fallout instead of Pyroclasm. The Charm has a lot of versatility beyond Pyroclasm and Fallout can't be countered, which is pretty nice right now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The volcanic looks good but 2 red can be problematic when fighting through wastelands. I will try it out though with all the blue poo poo flying all over the place.p these days.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wastelands seem to be played less often in legacy these days though.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
You'd be a fool to ever underestimate nonbasic land hate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

You'd be a fool to ever underestimate nonbasic land hate.

And for every wasteland that isn't played at a tourny there are probably 2 or 3 price of progresses.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Anyone played the Reset version of High Tide that they deckteched at the GP? I'm always looking for more decks I can add to my bag-o-legacy, and that one's mighty inexpensive. No candelabras!

Feline didn't finish too highly, but that doesn't mean it was a bad build. She's pretty much THE expert on the (candelabra version of the) deck, and if that's the version she went with it's gotta be legit, right?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ville Valo posted:

Anyone played the Reset version of High Tide that they deckteched at the GP? I'm always looking for more decks I can add to my bag-o-legacy, and that one's mighty inexpensive. No candelabras!

Feline didn't finish too highly, but that doesn't mean it was a bad build. She's pretty much THE expert on the (candelabra version of the) deck, and if that's the version she went with it's gotta be legit, right?

Having played high tides before it's hard enough to go off on your own turn, why add the complication of doing it on the opponents turn?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

My buddy has it together. It's absurdly hard to learn, to play correctly, to know when to go off, and to not make a mistake. We played like 10 games waiting for my other friends in a GPT and I won all but 1 with Jund. It just can't stand up to targeted discard, Hymns, Lili, or a fast clock, never mind all of them. Its probably better against blue decks, at least.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Solidarity(Reset High Tide) was considered to be one of the best decks in Legacy 5+ years ago. Problem is, you lose quite a bit of power by having to go off on the opponent's turn.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Well, I think the reason it's "back" now is that Dig Through Time makes it easier to go off at instant speed. Not good enough?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ville Valo posted:

I was talking to her end of Day 1. She says that it's definitely weaker than the traditional High Tide, but she went with it to shake things up and surprise people who are used to her since she never runs anything but High Tide. She said this is the closest she's probably going to come to playing a non-High Tide deck in a competitive event.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I was talking to her end of Day 1. She says that it's definitely weaker than the traditional High Tide, but she went with it to shake things up and surprise people who are used to her since she never runs anything but High Tide. She said this is the closest she's probably going to come to playing a non-High Tide deck in a competitive event.

All I know is my resets are through the roof compared to what they were a few months ago.

Wow maybe not... I never knew they went up to 30 bucks last year. That makes no sense.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 20, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

Its REALLY fun, but much more complicated. Dig does make it a lot better, but its still probably a little worse than spiraltide. Proxy it up, and try it, but don't waste the money on resets unless you really like it

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've been playing it for the past year or so, and while it's a lot of fun it's also very difficult, and not as competitive as I might like, even with the addition of DTT. It takes a LOT of practice to do well with the deck consistently. Even after a year I'm a long ways off, though that's due in part to a lack of people to play against where I live.

If you really want to get into the deck, I highly recommend reading up on it on The Source. The current thread is active again, and Feline posts there about her work with the deck, along with a few other long time players. The archived thread goes all the way back to when the deck's inventor, David Gearhart, was active on The Source and posting about it there.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

David Gearhart works at the store I go to and says that even with DTT, Solidarity probably is still not good enough now. It's cool having basically a one-sided Time Spiral, but you have to play with some pretty bad cards. The thread on the Source isn't even sure they want to fight over the graveyard since Snapcaster is so good in the deck. It is absurdly hard to play but has a lot of neat tricks like Brain Freezing after a top activation or snap'ing a Snapcaster mage back a few times to generate mana. Plus it is always cool to go off in response to an Emrakul Annihilator trigger or something else hilarious.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So Joe Losset is giving his Grand Prix New Jersey debriefing on Twitch, and one of his favorite stories involved a Standard-legal Mono-Green Devotion list beating a Legacy Merfolk deck. :lol:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

So Joe Losset is giving his Grand Prix New Jersey debriefing on Twitch, and one of his favorite stories involved a Standard-legal Mono-Green Devotion list beating a Legacy Merfolk deck. :lol:

How does Fish ever beat Polukranos or Hornet Queen?

I know a guy who plays Miracles and got stuck playing against GR Tron. It went very badly for him.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Looking back I probably should have played my modern deadguy ale list in the main event. Positive EV on the goodies and the look on some dudes face if I actually won might have been worth it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've told this story a couple times here before, but I accidentally showed up to Legacy Night thinking it was Modern Night, then beat Manaless Dredge 2-0 running Esper Mill of all decks. I didn't even draw a Mind Funeral in either game!

VV Game 1 I Surgical'd his single Flame-Kin Zealot and also hit a Crypt Incursion for ~40 life, game 2 I had the turn 2 RIP. He had beaten me with Prison Mill at our last Modern tourney so I considered it karma.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 20, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What the hell. Did he not board in Serra Avatar game 2? I have a laboratory maniac in the sb as an alt wincon instead, but you need something for mill. :cmon:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
solidarity is stupid fun with dig through time and going off on your opponents turn feels really good. it mostly leaves me wanting to play vs ANT or spiral tide though so i can go off in response to their kill

e: really dig through time is one of my favorite cards that is all i have to say

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AgentSythe posted:

David Gearhart works at the store I go to and says that even with DTT, Solidarity probably is still not good enough now. It's cool having basically a one-sided Time Spiral, but you have to play with some pretty bad cards. The thread on the Source isn't even sure they want to fight over the graveyard since Snapcaster is so good in the deck. It is absurdly hard to play but has a lot of neat tricks like Brain Freezing after a top activation or snap'ing a Snapcaster mage back a few times to generate mana. Plus it is always cool to go off in response to an Emrakul Annihilator trigger or something else hilarious.

Did you play in the battle of wounded knee too? I haven't been able to chat with him since his accident but he does keep up with magic even if he no longer plays. Wonder what he'd say about it.

It's funny that people out themselves for playing at that store from time to time. I think it's 3 goons I know now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

How does Fish ever beat Polukranos or Hornet Queen?

I know a guy who plays Miracles and got stuck playing against GR Tron. It went very badly for him.

Jund loses to standard decks all the time. I can't abrupt decay a Stormbreath dragon!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Did you play in the battle of wounded knee too? I haven't been able to chat with him since his accident but he does keep up with magic even if he no longer plays. Wonder what he'd say about it.

Nah, I was gone the weekend they were having that event for him :(

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Solidarity is a lot of fun (if you like combo decks), but even as someone who pretty much won't play anything except combo, it is frustrating in a totally different way than other combo decks. Honestly, it just feels like a deck that works better on a modern clock - you almost always have to make 3 land drops (and 4 is probably more realistic for an average hand) and it seems like for every game that you get to resolve a 100 mana Stroke of Genius in response to a storm 25 Brain Freeze there are 3 games where you lose a counter war (despite being monoblue you have to be light on countermagic to avoid fizzling) or get blown out by one discard spell. I have all the pieces for it, but I only ever sleeve it up if I'm playing casual legacy because it just seems 1-2 turns too slow to be viable against competitive decks. I haven't tested it with more than 1 or 2 DTTs though, so maybe I'm missing something (or I'm just crazy, I pretty much only play Doomsday these days so that's a distinct possibility.)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Gnumonic posted:

or I'm just crazy, I pretty much only play Doomsday these days so that's a distinct possibility.

Yeah as an occasional Doomsday player myself, you are indeed completely insane. I love playing that deck but drat if my brains doesn't start really hurting around round 5.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

bhsman posted:

Ha, the Merfolk player was actually a friend of mine. I believe he kept an Aether Vial + Wasteland hand, and never drew a blue source and just got overrun by green monsters before he had enough lords, and the second game multiple Mistcutters got him. The MonoG guy then rubbed it in nicely by being all excited "I was just gonna drop and get the playmat etc, I never expected to win a round!"

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DurdleDuck posted:

Ha, the Merfolk player was actually a friend of mine. I believe he kept an Aether Vial + Wasteland hand, and never drew a blue source and just got overrun by green monsters before he had enough lords, and the second game multiple Mistcutters got him. The MonoG guy then rubbed it in nicely by being all excited "I was just gonna drop and get the playmat etc, I never expected to win a round!"

That's too bad, but your friend can probably assure himself of the knowledge that the guy probably got annihilated in his ensuing games. \:shobon:/

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

At the one store I occasionally go to, the only match I've ever lost in sanctioned modern tournaments was against standard green devotion. He played 5 Mistcutters with power 4+ in 2 games and I was playing UR before it was cool, or good. It sure feels good spending an entire turn going Flame Slash, Snap, Flame Slash, only to have him draw another one anyway.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Thanks for all the Solidarity/Reset High Tide info, folks. I'll read The Source thread. Picked up my 8th Force of Will today so I can have a second completed deck at all times, and got a bunch of the cheap cantrips/wishes. Just need Resets!

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Re: winning Legacy with a Modern deck

I played kitchen table Magic last week, and I forgot to bring my Guttersnipe/Curiosity/lots of cantrips and mana generators deck, so I played my Mono-Green standard deck. These guys don't play standard, and sat out through most of Theros, so they thought I was making poo poo up when I vomited a courser, an arbor colossus, a genesis hydra for 7, and a hornet queen off its trigger onto the field in the same turn, then played and monstrous'd a Polukranos for 14 to wipe the board on the next turn, followed by Chord of Calling for Nylea and a swing through their replacement blockers a turn after that

I beat affinity, fish, and Sneak and Show at the same time.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 22, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Legacy decks lose to standard and modern decks all the times the entire meta is warped around delver and stoneforge. And value creatures running on little mana.

If someone there was playing lands or doomsday or charbelcher it would have been a different story. The other thing is who play multiplayer legacy? That's just tough as decks are designed to fight one opponent, not two or three.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Soldier Legacy deck is a lot of fun and wins a lot, but I need some help with the sideboard. I'm trying to improve the U/R Delver matchup without hurting the Burn matchup too badly. I'm open to any input or suggestions for cards that make this matchup easier. Right now the list is:

code:
9 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
1 Karakas
4 Chrome Mox

4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Field Marshall
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
2 Loxodon Gatekeeper
4 Captain of the Watch

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Suppression Field

Sideboard
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Kor Firewalker
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Oblivion Ring
I'm thinking I can get rid of Oblivion Ring, since Show and Tell is already a good matchup what with 4 Thalias. To beat Delver/Pyromancer decks, I'm thinking I could go for a strategy with three extra Soldiers:

4 Kor Firewalker
3 Commander Eesha? Longbow Archer? High Sentinels of Arashin?
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Tormod's Crypt

Or I could do a more dedicated anti-UR Delver plan, replacing Kor Firewalker (better against Burn, worse against Delver) with Auriok Champion. This would make me sometimes name Human with Cavern of Souls, and dilutes the power of Enlistment Officer because he draws cards based on the number of Soldiers in the deck.

4 Auriok Champion
3 Commander Eesha? Longbow Archer? High Sentinels of Arashin? Thermal Glider?
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Tormod's Crypt

Commander Eesha is currently my favourite choice for an anti-Delver card, since he's a 2/4 with protection from creatures. That deck can only kill him with Dismember or multiple burn spells. The problem is that he costs a whole 4 mana, and Insectile Aberration can start attacking on turn 2.

Longbow Archer is a 2-drop that profitably blocks Insectile Aberration or Young Pyromancer all game long. Upside is that he's a 2-mana Soldier, downside is that he dies to various burn spells and can't do poo poo about Monastery Swiftspear.

High Sentinels of Arashin is similar to Commander Eesha, except easier to kill and with a mana sink ability. I find that I don't usually have excess mana kicking around, so I don't expect this to be very useful.

Thermal Glider can profitably block red creatures, has protection from burn spells, and costs 3 mana. The problem is that he simply trades with Delver, and he's not a Soldier so he gets no tribal benefits.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
It looks like Aether vial could be good for you as well as swords to plowshares. You can add Kataki wars wage instead of ether sworn, spirit of the labyrinth will stop brainstorm in its tracks as well as containment priest stopping SnT.

Vvvv for some reason I was thinking anti artifacts instead of remembering I used ethersworn in affinity so it was pro artifact.

Mostly because it's late and I'm tired. Sorry.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 22, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It looks like Aether vial could be good for you as well as swords to plowshares. You can add Kataki wars wage instead of ether sworn, spirit of the labyrinth will stop brainstorm in its tracks as well as containment priest stopping SnT.

I don't play any 1-mana spells at all, because of Chalice of the Void. Casting it for 1 shuts down tons of the decks in Legacy. I don't see how Kataki is useful against Delver, and I need Canonist to beat combo decks. Spirit and Containment Priest are good ideas, I don't have need for either right now but I'll run Spirit if I see more Brainstorms and Containment Priest if Show and Tell is a problem again. Thanks!

But remember that the deck is Soldier tribal, so a non-Soldier creature has to be really good (Ethersworn Canonist) for me to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

My Soldier Legacy deck is a lot of fun and wins a lot, but I need some help with the sideboard. I'm trying to improve the U/R Delver matchup without hurting the Burn matchup too badly. I'm open to any input or suggestions for cards that make this matchup easier. Right now the list is:

code:
9 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
1 Karakas
4 Chrome Mox

4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Field Marshall
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
2 Loxodon Gatekeeper
4 Captain of the Watch

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Suppression Field

Sideboard
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Kor Firewalker
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Oblivion Ring
I'm thinking I can get rid of Oblivion Ring, since Show and Tell is already a good matchup what with 4 Thalias. To beat Delver/Pyromancer decks, I'm thinking I could go for a strategy with three extra Soldiers:

4 Kor Firewalker
3 Commander Eesha? Longbow Archer? High Sentinels of Arashin?
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Tormod's Crypt

Or I could do a more dedicated anti-UR Delver plan, replacing Kor Firewalker (better against Burn, worse against Delver) with Auriok Champion. This would make me sometimes name Human with Cavern of Souls, and dilutes the power of Enlistment Officer because he draws cards based on the number of Soldiers in the deck.

4 Auriok Champion
3 Commander Eesha? Longbow Archer? High Sentinels of Arashin? Thermal Glider?
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Tormod's Crypt

Commander Eesha is currently my favourite choice for an anti-Delver card, since he's a 2/4 with protection from creatures. That deck can only kill him with Dismember or multiple burn spells. The problem is that he costs a whole 4 mana, and Insectile Aberration can start attacking on turn 2.

Longbow Archer is a 2-drop that profitably blocks Insectile Aberration or Young Pyromancer all game long. Upside is that he's a 2-mana Soldier, downside is that he dies to various burn spells and can't do poo poo about Monastery Swiftspear.

High Sentinels of Arashin is similar to Commander Eesha, except easier to kill and with a mana sink ability. I find that I don't usually have excess mana kicking around, so I don't expect this to be very useful.

Thermal Glider can profitably block red creatures, has protection from burn spells, and costs 3 mana. The problem is that he simply trades with Delver, and he's not a Soldier so he gets no tribal benefits.

Hey I'm working on this same deck! I don't think there's better anti-Delver tech than a turn 1 Chalice for 1, which with Ancient Tomb and Chrome Mox as ramp isn't too much of a stretch. I think I'd go with Eesha, between the ramp, cost-reducing guys and Preeminent Captain, I think you'll be surprised how early you can stick one. Also not that it matters, but I thought Eesha was a female character?

E: How useful is Karakas? The Legacy events at my LGS allow proxies so I could throw one in no problem, but I don't like that it doesn't play nice with Suppression Field since the prison aspects of the deck are important to me (I named my list "Police State" :v:)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 22, 2014

• Locked thread