Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Although 'Aboriginal' is still almost universally said in welcomes to/acknowledgements of country IME so that's kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ewe2 posted:

I have an aboriginal friend, I've always said Koorie with him, he's happy with that. Some aren't though; I do say indigenous because in some states they hate Koorie.

I'm in the same boat with Koori.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-20/crabb-keeping-bunnies-in-a-basket-in-the-senate/5905656

Why would you write an article like this after the defeat of FOFA? Annabel Crabb is a complete moron.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Why would indigenous or aboriginal not be ok? I thought first peoples or first nations was an american thing

Matthew Beet posted:

I've been told in recent times we don't say indigenous anymore, it's not PC. Basically because it was always used to describe flora and fauna. (Heard this from some people in the DHS)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

IslamoNazi posted:

I'm in the same boat with Koori.

Yeah same, it's a regional thing where some peoples identified with Koori but others didn't bc it has geographic/tribal roots IIRC. A lot of mob in NSW are down with Koori, there are 'Koori Centers' all over the place but I know many others don't identify that way.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ewe2 posted:

I have an aboriginal friend, I've always said Koorie with him, he's happy with that. Some aren't though; I do say indigenous because in some states they hate Koorie.

Calling the Koorie people Koorie is fine, but that is only one people group when there are hundreds of indigenous groups.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I use the indigenous and unique Australian word 'mate'

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
stop the mateships

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With the iron ore price dropping faster than the very stone it's extracted from, there might not be enough in the budget for mateships.
Maybe a single mateboat if we raise the retirement age to 95.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Calling the Koorie people Koorie is fine, but that is only one people group when there are hundreds of indigenous groups.

Yeah that was my point, Koorie is fine generally here in Victoria.

The Hun today is hilarious. They're talking down their own Galaxy poll showing that Dan Andrews has improved his standing despite a negative ad campaign that I didn't have to see cos I dont do TV yay and the Libs haven't made a dent on the ALP lead. Ellen Whinnett was reduced to hoping bad things would happen to PUP. And Mark Knight is running out of ideas:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah there used to be a special indigenous court in QLD that was called the Murri court after the largest language group/nation up here. of course the newman government closed it down in 2012, because something something budget crisis

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
also according to wikipedia the term yakka as in hard yakka is derived from the Jagera people on whose sacred land I currently walk my dog.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Idk how to feel about suburb and town names taken from first peoples languages.

On the one hand they are way more interesting, potentially raise awareness of the lands heritage and could be seen as a sign of recognition and respect.

On the other hand it is taking the language and heritage of the people you have already stolen everything else from and using it for your own colonial structures.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Whole lotta whitesplaining going on in here

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Gough Suppressant posted:

Idk how to feel about suburb and town names taken from first peoples languages.

On the one hand they are way more interesting, potentially raise awareness of the lands heritage and could be seen as a sign of recognition and respect.

On the other hand it is taking the language and heritage of the people you have already stolen everything else from and using it for your own colonial structures.

when the alternative is transplanting some bullshit english town name so you can easier forget there was anybody there at all before whitey, i'm very much in favour of it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

when the alternative is transplanting some bullshit english town name so you can easier forget there was anybody there at all before whitey, i'm very much in favour of it

Definitely this.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

webmeister posted:

Whole lotta whitesplaining going on in here

Can't discuss stuff unless you're personally involved, that'd be terrible! Better go tell TOML to stop talking about feminism because he isn't a woman.

Agreed, when places get invaded they don't usually get re-named, so it's a much better recognition that people were here before the english rocked up and murdered everything.

Splode fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 21, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why dont you just call them people?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Laserface posted:

Guys I'm colour blind. I don't even SEE race, and never use a word for it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

I (relatively) recently learned about the history behind all the "Boundary Road"s in Brisbane, i.e. that they represented the boundary which indigenous people were not allowed to cross after a certain time. I'm assuming that similar poo poo happened in other towns/cities. While that definitely doesn't represent the WORST of our appalling treatment of our first people, it's certainly shameful to think about. Part of me would like to see a name change (idk what to, but something that maybe wasn't used to exclude people from their own loving ancestral land) but then again the only reason I even know about the curfew thing is because I was like "boundary? boundary of what?" and googled that poo poo, so in a way, changing the names of those roads could be a form of whitewashing the past and pretending that we didn't do poo poo like that.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

ewe2 posted:

Yeah that was my point, Koorie is fine generally here in Victoria.

The Hun today is hilarious. They're talking down their own Galaxy poll showing that Dan Andrews has improved his standing despite a negative ad campaign that I didn't have to see cos I dont do TV yay and the Libs haven't made a dent on the ALP lead. Ellen Whinnett was reduced to hoping bad things would happen to PUP. And Mark Knight is running out of ideas:

Wait so is everyone doing Hockey as Shrek now or did Knight just flagrantly rip off Pope in isolation?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Wait so is everyone doing Hockey as Shrek now or did Knight just flagrantly rip off Pope in isolation?

Xylo would probably have a field day with this guy, he's derivative of practically everyone.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mithranderp posted:

I (relatively) recently learned about the history behind all the "Boundary Road"s in Brisbane, i.e. that they represented the boundary which indigenous people were not allowed to cross after a certain time. I'm assuming that similar poo poo happened in other towns/cities. While that definitely doesn't represent the WORST of our appalling treatment of our first people, it's certainly shameful to think about. Part of me would like to see a name change (idk what to, but something that maybe wasn't used to exclude people from their own loving ancestral land) but then again the only reason I even know about the curfew thing is because I was like "boundary? boundary of what?" and googled that poo poo, so in a way, changing the names of those roads could be a form of whitewashing the past and pretending that we didn't do poo poo like that.

Change the name but put up a monument to the victims of such policies on the side of the road that includes a plaque detailing the history of the road and what it's old name represented.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Amethyst posted:

Do these guys actually, ACTUALLY feel like they are oppressed by indigenous people? Their fixation on calling out the most disadvantaged group in Australia as privileged boggles my mind.

Bolt's thing is that the system is terribly unfair because Aboriginals have access to some benifits and services that others do not so this is true racism. He's also dead against Abbott's plan to mention them in the preamble.

His whole freedom of speech issue last time was that he pointed the finger at a bunch of people claiming they used their aboriginality to claim benifit without even checking if this was actually the case or if they had identified as aboriginal their whole lives.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Fruity Gordo posted:

Pope himself addresses this question

quote:

The resemblance was noted elsewhere before the cartoons. On TV I think.
It was noted on TV in 2007

And here is a Pope cartoon from 2009:

That being said, Knight also did Cormann as the Terminator which could be another rip-off from elsewhere, probably Pope as well:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Whoa he was fat.

Like.

He's still fat.

But wowzers.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

This is a pretty dumb post right here

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The way it was explained to me was that aboriginal/indigenous are adjectives and if you don't append "person" or "people" onto the end of it its dehumanizing. Makes sense imo.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

MC Eating Disorder posted:

The way it was explained to me was that aboriginal/indigenous are adjectives and if you don't append "person" or "people" onto the end of it its dehumanizing. Makes sense imo.

But the english language often describes groups of people with an adjective that's also a noun. Like, for example, Australian. Australian is an adjective and a noun.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

This is a pretty dumb post right here

Not as dumb as ducking and weaving amongst terms for 20 posts in an effort to not hurt someones feelings.

we are all people, just call them people. Or call them aborigines or indigenous if you want to acknowledge they have a different heritage to you. The point is whinging about racists calling them names is dumb when you still want to call them a name that differentiates them from the rest of society.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

We already have a term to differentiate between the First Peoples and the rest of the people in Australian Society. Illegal Maritime Arrivals.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Respect is dumb you guys.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

Not as dumb as ducking and weaving amongst terms for 20 posts in an effort to not hurt someones feelings.

we are all people, just call them people. Or call them aborigines or indigenous if you want to acknowledge they have a different heritage to you. The point is whinging about racists calling them names is dumb when you still want to call them a name that differentiates them from the rest of society.

Yeah man, it's just like Andrew Bolt says, we're all indigenous.

I can't believe you're sticking to your guns on this one, dude.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Sure, we live in deeply racist, white supremacist society, but acknowledging that is divisive or something. Just ignore race. Ignore it. Let's celebrate diversity by stamping it out.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Splode posted:

But the english language often describes groups of people with an adjective that's also a noun. Like, for example, Australian. Australian is an adjective and a noun.

counterpoint: go around calling chinese people "A chinese" and see how far you get. Language is not a purely logical thing, it is entirely subject to cultural context and if anyone thinks this is a particularly contentious suggestion they are probably going around being really loving offensive all the time and they don't even know it.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 21, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
We could make buildings universally acceptable to people of all levels of physical ability, but otoh people are people so gently caress ramps and elevators. Sure, women are subject to almost 90% of all sexual violence and 85% of all perpetrators of sexual violence are men, but people are people so we should focus on stopping violence against people bc what does gender have to do with it? While it is true that poverty is the biggest risk factor for substance abuse, violence, prostitution, crime, mental illness and premature death, people are people so let's abolish the community services sector and probably the welfare state.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

MC Eating Disorder posted:

counterpoint: go around calling chinese people "A chinese" and see how far you get

Well, that wouldn't be grammatically correct, but I don't think that's significant. You can call someone An American, European, Asian, Italian, etc. without any issues.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
What a hill to die on.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

Sure, we live in deeply racist, white supremacist society, but acknowledging that is divisive or something. Just ignore race. Ignore it. Let's celebrate diversity by stamping it out.

So you want to fight racism by acknowledging that people are different based on their heritage or skin colour and identifying them not as simply a person but as their race.

ooookay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Splode posted:

Well, that wouldn't be grammatically correct, but I don't think that's significant. You can call someone An American, European, Asian, Italian, etc. without any issues.

In the one specific context I mentioned, cultural issues mean that appropriating an adjective as a noun is really problematic, which is my point. People said that for YEARS and now they don't. This is directly applicable to what is being said about the naked phrase "indigenous"

e: removing pointless vitriol to spolode because I really want him to understand my point

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread