Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Auspol G20 Aftermath Goonmeet

TOMORROW, 22nd November 2014

6pm @ Halims Indian Taj, Rosalie.
Order by 7pm.

Eat and then move to a bar nearby.

Table for 14, Say you're a goon.

Anidav eats free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I didn't know that Indians did roast pig.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

I loving knew backburner was written by a goon.

Yeah, this.

Seriously though loving well done, Backburner is awesome.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pig in the City posted:

Checking in after a long, long time.

i've been writing a bunch of stuff for SBS Comedy about auspol. most of it trash. all of it trash.
but if anyone's interested in checking it out sometime it's at:
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/person/backburner

[also, I'm taking a week's break soon but after that I'll be trying to actually keep up with this thread again. I tire of having real world friendships.]

No loving way.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pig in the City posted:

i've been writing a bunch of stuff for SBS Comedy about auspol. most of it trash. all of it trash.

[also, I'm taking a week's break soon but after that I'll be trying to actually keep up with this thread again. I tire of having real world friendships.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

Order by 7pm.

Anidav eats free.

Note for public transport goons: trains will be replaced by buses on the Ipswich line up to Corinda this weekend. While you can get there via "train" (it's not too far to walk from Milton station), expect delays. Alternative is the 475, which stops barely 100 metres from Halims. I did a journey plan from Roma St because I'm nice and also because I needed to do one for myself anyway.

:getin:

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 21, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pig in the City posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
same

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Dunno why a human being would go to Rosalie for Indian when Sultans Kitchen is just up the road in Paddington

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Kommando posted:

Order by 7pm.

Anidav eats free.

Cool. Saved in my phone so I'll see you nerds there

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

See you goons tomorrow! I'll be the designated walker.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

cpaf posted:

Dunno why a human being would go to Rosalie for Indian when Sultans Kitchen is just up the road in Paddington

Because sultans kitchen < Halims

you've been living a lie.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I really need to eat free, its only my second week at work and the manger is already canceling my shifts. I made no mistakes but sometimes casual employment is a crazy dumb nightmare where you don't know if you can pay rent or not.

I just want to work more than 3 hours at a time but the bastards keep cutting me early and wont let me touch lunch or dinner. How's a guy meant to know the ins and outs?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I dunno I think if they keep treating you mean, you'll be super keen or something like that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Everything I've learned in my management minor, employers do the exact opposite. It's as if they're all stupid former rugby players.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Damnit, I'd be in for this (finishing at cultural centre precinct at 6) but gently caress Qrail buses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

i got banned posted:

hmmm yes denying asbestos victims a loving pittance from a multi national corporation is totally ethical you slimy poo poo bag

I loving hate Bishop so goddamn much. She might have been skirting the inside of the law and gotten away with it, but that doesn't make what she did any less evil.

It's estimated that, by 2020, more than 2000 people will have ended up with asbestosis because of CSR. And every single one of them is going to die from it.

That's 2000 people who either already have or will, in the next few years, die by inches in loving agony. And because of Bishop, many of those who have already died, did so in despair and poverty, too.

Because of Bishop.

But hey, that witch Gillard may have made a slush fund :shrug:

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Unions are evil because

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
they gave workers protected rights at work and stopped the proletariat from being exploited by their masters

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

i got banned posted:

Unions are evil because

They don't use the word association?

There are plenty of unions, that carefully avoid the term, union. But that's OK, because they maintain a monopoly valuable service, and vote correctly.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

nogthree posted:

Damnit, I'd be in for this (finishing at cultural centre precinct at 6) but gently caress Qrail buses.

I have 4 seats available in my car. shout out if you need a lift and sort out a central location.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

cpaf posted:

I warned you about splits bro.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kommando posted:

Because sultans kitchen < Halims

you've been living a lie.

Back when I lived in Paddo even the Indus and the place over on Waterworks were superior to Halims, although I gotta admit a change in ownership at an Indian place can make for a bigger transformation than Joe Hockey's career

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quoting a hilarious Australian editorial so you don't have to click. Many, many funny bits, some I bolded.

quote:

The Abbott government is doomed without narrative

THE past fortnight should have been a personal triumph for Tony Abbott and a high-water mark for his government. The Prime Minister hosted a terrific G20 event in Brisbane, with the world’s economic powerhouses committing to boost output growth by an extra 2.1 per cent over the next four years. This historic gathering brought to our shores the globe’s supreme economic and political players, some of whom came bearing gifts. The signing of a free-trade agreement with China on Monday was a watershed moment, for both nations. Amid all the glitz and clamour, one thing is clear: Australia is seen by the major powers as a country that counts. Yet, instead of using this fresh success to spruik a winning reform agenda, or to educate the public, Mr Abbott and Joe Hockey have skulked off the stage.

The nation has not witnessed such a prestigious cavalcade since the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation forum in Sydney in 2007. Its potent mix of star power, symbolism and relevance is political gold. Although foreign policy, with its attendant grandiosity and bewildering acronyms, is not a vote winner in the Australian context, the Abbott government is inexplicably missing a precious opportunity to shine. China’s President Xi Jinping, India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and British Prime Minister David Cameron addressed parliament; they brought more than bonhomie. As well, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande made state visits after the G20 extravaganza.

Barack Obama stayed long enough to insult his host on climate change — against the advice of US diplomats, as Greg Sheridan reports today — and to show off his unmatched oratorical flair; the “chosen one’s” strength, however, is a gateway to his signature weakness. Deeds rarely match the US President’s words. But there is a serious point to this mastery of imagery and gesture politics. No successful modern leader can be aloof from the requirements of communications and storytelling. It’s a simple lesson that Mr Abbott has failed to grasp: talking points and three-word slogans can never suffice. “Australia is open for business” does not constitute a narrative or provide inspiration. “Team Australia” has hokey appeal, but it, too, does not work as an explanation for complex national security issues.

Limply, the Prime Minister is losing the battle to define core issues and to explain to voters what he is doing and why. At stake is his political credibility, no less. Mr Abbott risks becoming a “oncer” if he allows his opponents to constantly control the agenda. Witness how the Coalition mishandled ABC funding cuts; Labor and its friends have defined it as a “broken promise”, rather than a fiscal imperative. The 24-hour news cycle is as much a trap as it is an opportunity. Mr Abbott’s approach to messaging is a shambles of conception, strategy and execution. This deficiency can no longer be masked or ignored.

Too often the Abbott government maddeningly vacates the media space. Bill Shorten, broadcaster Alan Jones and populist stunt man Clive Palmer too often set the national agenda. As a former journalist, a fine writer and a cutthroat oppositionist, Mr Abbott should be aware of the power of words and images. Yet his linguistic prowess has been diminished. Other than in some formal set pieces, he has lost his authoritative voice. Of course, it is no use blaming ill-equipped, tyro advisers. The Prime Minister’s Office is too dominated by Peta Credlin, his chief of staff, including on media strategy.

To be sure, a hostile, distracted, Twitter-obsessed media is a hindrance; superior language, aimed directly at voters, could overcome this. That Mr Abbott charmed his international guests in private with his knowledge and steadfastness is no consolation. As various leaders admonished Russian President Vladimir Putin for his belligerence in the Ukraine and his indifference to the outrage over the MH17 slaughter, Mr Abbott seemed to have inspired their words. But as seasoned observers have noted, the Prime Minister shrinks in public, his natural exuberance is contained, his confidence hidden from view. Is this the man who destroyed Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard? Where is the intelligent Rhodes scholar who has an easy rapport with Australians in any setting?

This communications malady is endemic. The Coalition’s failing media strategy is damaging its electoral standing and making it difficult to bed down policy responses to problems it was elected to address. The economy is where this ineptitude is most marked; the selling of the Abbott government’s fiscal repair job has been a debacle. Voters are left with the impression that Mr Hockey’s May budget was a litany of broken promises, designed to inflict severe pain on low-income workers and the poor, and that the deficit crisis was not as acute as the Coalition presented it. This unmitigated disaster will retard our progress and ability to effect fiscal consolidation over the medium term.

In an act of immense self-harm, the Abbott government brought on the faux fairness debate over reform measures in the May budget via its ill-judged levy on top-bracket taxpayers. A false narrative developed that pitted tax rises on high-income earners against the loss of welfare benefits by others. Never mind that one group pays most of the nation’s tax or that governments have built an edifice of unsustainable handouts for all, fashioned out of temporary boom time revenues. Mr Hockey did not prepare the ground for what, truth be told, was a modest exercise in spending restraint. In opposition, the Coalition had over-egged the crisis alarmism. In truth, the debt overhang is a medium-term issue, yet one that every credible economist argues must be addressed if the nation is to successfully manage a future economic shock and not saddle future taxpayers with interest payments. The Coalition is now heading into its midyear economic and fiscal outlook statement with the huge challenge of not only bedding down its budget, but trying to close the fiscal gap amid tumbling revenue. Mr Abbott and Mr Hockey appear tongue-tied. They have no choice but to reboot their sales job.

Mr Abbott is unable to capitalise on the past fortnight of global prestige and successful trade diplomacy. Readers can only imagine how Paul Keating would have conceptualised the Brisbane gathering and the economic might that accompanied it. The former prime minister would have been clever, shameless and over-the-top. He would never have succumbed to the low-rent fearmongering of radio barker Jones on the FTA or Chinese investment. Mr Keating would have had the wit to link the recent trade deals with China, Japan and South Korea — and the possibility of closer ties to emerging India — to a grand narrative about our future in the region, investment, rising living standards, jobs, aspiration and the need to keep opening our eyes, hearts and reform ambitions in the face of Asia’s economic transformation.

It is true that the conservative side of politics does not trumpet its successes in the manner of the Left. Certainly, Mr Abbott was right to recognise that the electorate had lost patience with the extravagant verbiage of the Rudd-Gillard era. But there is a sweet spot between overblown rhetoric and the dot-point banalities pumped out by the PMO and the Coalition’s advisers. John Howard proved that he not only had convictions and a framework for action, he also knew how to speak directly to voters; he used the tools and media outlets that suited his purpose. Mr Howard was not universally loved, but he built a solid relationship with the Australian people because he argued his case from first principles. His words and his political persona were one and the same; no one thought he was taking his cues from a focus group or party official. The same thing was true for Bob Hawke, another authentic voice in our politics who was able to speak past his enemies and directly to voters.

While Mr Abbott is just as intelligent as his predecessors, he is languishing and looks flaky. He lacks the appeal of “comfortable and relaxed” Mr Howard or the everyman charisma of “Hawkie”, whose narrative of consensus united the nation. The Prime Minister can prevail, but he needs to show courage and leadership. One suggestion for capitalising on the G20 goodwill comes from former treasurer Peter Costello. He argued that going for growth, in line with the Brisbane Action Plan, does not depend on Mr Obama, Mr Putin or faceless officials; it’s up to the leaders of countries, such as our own, to repair their budgets and deregulate industries. “A government serious about reform might use such statements to educate and persuade its own constituency,” Mr Costello argued. “But the business of economic reform is hard, specific and local.” Is Mr Abbott hard enough? Without a clear narrative, the task will be beyond him; his communications strategy is in disarray. The Coalition needs skilful media personnel and new roles for its best ministerial performers; it must communicate like a team that knows what it is doing. Short-term tactical wins may offer a mood hit in the executive wing, but they are not the key to sustained governing. Mr Abbott must regroup, trust himself and speak with purpose. Right now, his insipid default setting is losing the people.

All the amusing delusion and obsession is here:

* Thanks, insulting Obama!
* The opposition must be controlling the agenda! That's why Tony is poo poo!
* It's Alan Jones fault! Or Bill Shorten's fault! Or Clive Palmer's fault! Or Peta Credlin's fault! Or...
* The media must be hostile because...umm.. twitter! Use the power of superior language!
* The sales job was bad!
* Beware the false narrative, my son! Like a Jabberwocky it will err umm stuff.
* Just keep yelling that we're great, maybe that will drown them out?

And many many more...what a gold mine.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's arguable the right doesn't trumpet it's successes because they're basically things that piss in the face of anyone who isn't a rich, old and white guy; for example, WorkChoices. Usually in an election campaign, as we saw in the previous Federal election (and likely to see at coming State elections), the LNP is too busy distancing itself from policies and measures of previous LNP governments, with promises such as no new WorkChoices, no cuts, etc.

Anidav, since you're getting gently caress all shifts from your employer now, will you be joining a union and if so will you be taking this employer to account for the dodgy poo poo they've done? If they're not giving you enough work, now is as good a time as any.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2014

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The Abbott government has basically just stuck to its guns on a bunch of completely untenable positions.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's arguable the right doesn't trumpet it's successes because they're basically things that piss in the face of anyone who isn't a rich, old and white guy; for example, WorkChoices. Usually in an election campaign, as we saw in the previous Federal election (and likely to see at coming State elections), the LNP is too busy distancing itself from policies and measures of previous LNP governments, with promises such as no new WorkChoices, no cuts, etc.

Anidav, since you're getting gently caress all shifts from your employer now, will you be joining a union and if so will you be taking this employer to account for the dodgy poo poo they've done? If they're not giving you enough work, now is as good a time as any.

Pretty sure Anidav is already in a union, he used them to tear Umart a new arsehole.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The comments replying to noted Trotskyist Laurie Oakes latest article about our drongo PM are quite glorious.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

cpaf posted:

Back when I lived in Paddo even the Indus and the place over on Waterworks were superior to Halims, although I gotta admit a change in ownership at an Indian place can make for a bigger transformation than Joe Hockey's career

Cpaf is hosting December goonmeet.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 22, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm in the NUW but I dunno if they cover hotels. Also I'm casual, Umart was part time. Dunno what to do yet.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

I'm in the NUW but I dunno if they cover hotels. Also I'm casual, Umart was part time. Dunno what to do yet.

Burn the place down

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ewe2 posted:

Quoting a hilarious Australian editorial so you don't have to click. Many, many funny bits, some I bolded.

All the amusing delusion and obsession is here:

* Thanks, insulting Obama!
* The opposition must be controlling the agenda! That's why Tony is poo poo!
* It's Alan Jones fault! Or Bill Shorten's fault! Or Clive Palmer's fault! Or Peta Credlin's fault! Or...
* The media must be hostile because...umm.. twitter! Use the power of superior language!
* The sales job was bad!
* Beware the false narrative, my son! Like a Jabberwocky it will err umm stuff.
* Just keep yelling that we're great, maybe that will drown them out?

And many many more...what a gold mine.

If nothing else, just the ability to say "Bill Shorten sets the media agenda" with a straight face should reduce the whole article to base satire.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

sidviscous posted:

If nothing else, just the ability to say "Bill Shorten sets the media agenda" with a straight face should reduce the whole article to base satire.

As The Preston Institute, it's noteworthy for its attacks on Alan Jones and Peta Credlin; they're now flinging mud in all directions hoping to stick to a scapegoat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Can't make goonmeet, got a bunch of different poo poo to got to this arvo/evening.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kommando posted:

Cpaf is hosting December goonmeet.

Glad I could help :v:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Welp, the NSW Young Greens just hosed up hardcore, there is a tsunami of poo poo incoming for them and I'm not going to do a goddamn thing to stop it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Welp, the NSW Young Greens just hosed up hardcore, there is a tsunami of poo poo incoming for them and I'm not going to do a goddamn thing to stop it

What, more from yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Matthew Beet posted:

What, more from yesterday?

No this is something they brought down upon themselves, and the collective bollocking they're going to get from SDC will be glorious

• Locked thread