Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Zen Dudeism posted:

Something I haven't really seen addressed anywhere yet, but would love to:

Why was Sting there and why would he run out to make the save?

Seriously. I am going off the assumption that most casual viewers would have little knowledge about Sting. Can anyone provide a non-cheesy storyline reason as to why Sting - a guy who has never had any association with WWF/WWE, nor any of the match participants (Big Show aside), nor any of the Authority members (on screen, not backstage negotiation poo poo) - would show up to interfere in the main event? I mean, he wasn't a current WWE roster member, so the Authority winning would have storyline meant gently caress-all to him. It's not like he's ever been mention as a Cena Super-Friend. What believable kayfabe reason is there for him to interrupt the match?

Theories on how they will explain this one?

He's a good guy and the authority are bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Generico posted:

I'm not at the point in my old WCW watching yet (just got past Hog Wild '96) to have had occasion to hear it, but wouldn't Sting's theme be in the old WCW programming on the network? It seems impossible that the WWE doesn't have the rights.

Just checked Starrcade '97 and WWE absolutely has rights to the Crow theme.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Sting is the bunny so he was already at the arena. He had terrible flashbacks to his own career after seeing Cena betrayed by a friend he trusted, so he decided to right a wrong.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Sting is all about dismantling heel factions single-handedly.

EDIT: But in kayfabe, he probably knows he's on the shortlist to be GM if the Authority loses.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

That is really great.

If he changes his dumb bleach-job I'll be on board.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Cast Iron Brick posted:

That is really great.

I'd rather he didn't.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cast Iron Brick posted:

That is really great.

He did that once. He shouldn't do that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cast Iron Brick posted:

That is really great.

You are a Ziggler hater and I don't like you because of it. Eat poop, you poo-eater.:colbert:

Anywho, the main event was a clusterfuck but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. HHH/Steph are so good at being cartoonish badguys, it's great. Even so, they needed to be gone months ago. Please go away now.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Zen Dudeism posted:

Seriously. I am going off the assumption that most casual viewers would have little knowledge about Sting. Can anyone provide a non-cheesy storyline reason as to why Sting - a guy who has never had any association with WWF/WWE, nor any of the match participants (Big Show aside), nor any of the Authority members (on screen, not backstage negotiation poo poo) - would show up to interfere in the main event? I mean, he wasn't a current WWE roster member, so the Authority winning would have storyline meant gently caress-all to him. It's not like he's ever been mention as a Cena Super-Friend. What believable kayfabe reason is there for him to interrupt the match?

*points baseball bat at you*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My theory behind Sting saving the day is "holy poo poo buy the network after seeing this for free how cool is this loving Sting is here"
And then he goes and hangs out with Brock in relevant 4 times a year land.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The only thing I didn't like about Sting's entrance was the commentary. King was shrieking "what the hell's he doing here?" while Bradshaw listed off his accomplishments. Shoulda been the other way around. Apart from that the main event was loving perfect. Once Sting got in the ring all the commentators shut up, which was a nice moment.

I would gladly watch an hour-long ironman match between Ziggler and Rollins at Mania, in the main event, for the title.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

And while we're looking at old Ziggler photos, let's all take a moment to remember that he was Kerwin White's caddie.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Zen Dudeism posted:

Ziggler was getting beaten so bad he thought he was the second coming.

Edit: In all seriousness, I thought it made sense as Sting seeing a group of power mad bastards running amok in a wrestling company, just like the NWO in '97.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zen Dudeism posted:

Sting has a history of fighting large heel groups who try to dominate companies and unfairly hold down the talented good guys - from the Four Horsemen to the nWo to the.... ughh... Aces & 8s. One of Sting's defining characteristics has always been,"He'll fight corruption wherever he sees it."

Also I like to think it was a pretty awesome gently caress you to HHH after HHH's recent promo about how he outlasted every major star of the Attitude era and this was proof he was the ultimate survivor... because then along comes The Man They Call Sting to gently caress him over :smug:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zen Dudeism posted:

Stop thinking about it too much.

Might as well ask why he had a custom theme song and a titan tron video, yet the COO of the company seemed confused as to why he was there...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e:^Everyone knows about embedded foot chips. :colbert:

Fans wanted Sting in WWE. Fans wanted The Authority gone.
He did it for the people!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

I think there are a few different arguments going on about Dolph. But my general test to see how "serious" WWE is about someone is to ask: Would they have done this to Stone Cold? Or The Rock? Or hell, HHH? Or even Roman Reigns if you want a current example.

Can you picture Stone Cold putting up an amazing fight but getting knocked out and dragged onto someone else for the pin, and then two older dudes stare down in the ring after?

Dolph didn't come out of it looking like a loser but WWE obviously isn't as high on him as they are with guys they actually want to push.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between looking great in a match and having that sort of elevating star making moment.

A good example would be the finish to Mankind's first title win. The focus wasn't on Austin doing a run in or the corporation being defeated. It's was all about Mankind. On commentary. In the ring. The focus was on Foley doing the impossible.

Compare that to last night where they briefly touched on what an achievement Ziggler pulled off before Cena came out and all the focus turned to HHH and Stephanie realizing that they'd lost.

That isn't to say that Ziggler looked like a loser but it wasn't the star making moment it could have been, if they actually wanted to elevate Ziggler.

(And it wasn't until I rewatched the finish to Mankind/Rock that I noticed that Mankind was already crawling towards The Rock when Austin helped pull him on top)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Sting's entrance was the commentary. King was shrieking "what the hell's he doing here?" while Bradshaw listed off his accomplishments. Shoulda been the other way around. Apart from that the main event was loving perfect. Once Sting got in the ring all the commentators shut up, which was a nice moment.

I would gladly watch an hour-long ironman match between Ziggler and Rollins at Mania, in the main event, for the title.

I dunno, I kinda liked Cole and especially King losing their loving poo poo. It wasn't like Cole and King underselling Brock's return, it felt like they were genuinely going bonkers. There was some god-tier King shrieking going on, the likes of which we haven't heard since the Attitude Era.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lets leave it one of those unanswered mysteries and thus spare us all the misery of a Sting promo.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The ending was some total Attitude Era poo poo done right.

I enjoyed it and the PPV made me happy.

Feels good, man.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Sting probably won't be on Raw tonight and I want to be okay with it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Like an Arthurian knight, Sting appears where injustice lurks or wherever Ric Flair needs an ally it's different this time he's fixed now oh no Arn is clubbing me.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e:^Everyone knows about embedded foot chips. :colbert:

I prefer to think that the monkeys in the production truck get paid minimum wage and will take any bribe they can get to drop the lights, play music or video, hit pyro, whatever.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

my only question is who is going to be the first person to turn on sting

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dexo posted:

He's great in the ring, one of the best at telling a story through actions and actually can cut a pretty solid promo when he is allowed to speak.

Yeah, pretty much this. Ziggler has very good psychology and ring work, plus is pretty good on the mic when allowed to do something other than NotCena face promo 101 packages.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Zen Dudeism posted:

Sprecherscrow posted:

Edit: In all seriousness, I thought it made sense as Sting seeing a group of power mad bastards running amok in a wrestling company, just like the NWO in '97.

Really, Sting's debut last night was very much like a better executed version of Bret Hart's debut in WCW. A stalwart competitor synonymous with the competition finally jumps ship and one of his first acts is helping to demolish a heel faction that has been running amok.

Except in WCW they watered down the impact by having him ref a midcard match first, they completely botched the execution of the big match and the heel faction never stayed dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

Like an Arthurian knight, Sting appears where injustice lurks or wherever Ric Flair needs an ally it's different this time he's fixed now oh no Arn is clubbing me.

When they were in the ring, HHH clearly says,"What the hell are you doing here?" but they missed Sting replying,"I can't go back, Arn's lying in wait :gonk:"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Perry Normal posted:

they completely botched the execution of the big match and the heel faction never stayed dead.

neither will the authority

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

neither will the authority

This was obvious when they kept reiterating the "John Cena can bring the Authority back" angle. Something is going to happen to force Cena's hand. The new authority is going to be even worse somehow, or there's going to be a heel faction that only the Authority can deal with.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

El Generico posted:

This was obvious when they kept reiterating the "John Cena can bring the Authority back" angle. Something is going to happen to force Cena's hand. The new authority is going to be even worse somehow, or there's going to be a heel faction that only the Authority can deal with.

Meltzer speculated that Sting is going to beg Cena to bring back The Authority so Sting can have a match with HHH.

Seemed as good a reason as any I guess.

Edit: Although if Sting wanted a match with HHH maybe he shouldn't have made Ziggler win the match that got him fired from on screen duty.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

El Generico posted:

Ryback, Axel and Lesnar: Heyman Guys!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Joey McChrist posted:

my only question is who is going to be the first person to turn on sting

Vince, since Vince is the guy who brought Sting in.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Lots of bad opinions in the thread today. Also please stop the "casual viewer doesn't know sting" bullshit. It was prived wrong last night. One nice little throwback is when commentary said "But whos side is he on?!"!

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Zen Dudeism posted:

When a man's heart is full of deceit, it burns off, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul.
From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse, a wrong that must be righted.
We look to the skies for a vindicator, someone to strike fear into the black hearts of the same men who created him.
The battle between good and evil has begun. Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior, the purveyor of good, with a voice of silence and a mission of justice.
THIS. IS. STING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvmaR5CjZG8

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Sting was clearly there because Vince no longer feels his daughter and son in law are capable of getting things done, so he had something special in the wings to ensure a team ziggler victory.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Everblight posted:

Ryback, Axel and Lesnar: Heyman Guys!

Oh cmon, Cesaro's at least more important than Axel.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Sting's Titantron: http://www.wwe.com/videos/sting-entrance-video-26849123

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
If Cena is fighting Show at TLC, doesn't that open up Ziggler vs Rollins for the second main event? I don't think they'd waste Orton, Reigns, or Bryan return for that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

RBX posted:

Lots of bad opinions in the thread today. Also please stop the "casual viewer doesn't know sting" bullshit. It was prived wrong last night. One nice little throwback is when commentary said "But whos side is he on?!"!

Also they tested this when they put Sting in the video game. If everyone had been like "who?" they wouldn't have gone through with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

If Cena is fighting Show at TLC, doesn't that open up Ziggler vs Rollins for the second main event? I don't think they'd waste Orton, Reigns, or Bryan return for that.

It's Ambrose/Wyatt TLC.

• Locked thread