Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Just watch, he'll end up marrying his daughter off to someone else for political reasons and then offer Briant the hand of her younger sister. ;)

Sir Hywel only has the one daughter, that I'm aware of. Also I'm pretty sure England practiced gavelkind inheritance, not primogeniture, so I'd still get something out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Revised 486 AD Glory board!

pre:
Bledri  Briant  Derek  Grigor  Pellogres  Rhun
191	295	244	240	242	  240
Merlin's Recognition of the Knights Before Uther and the Court:
  • Bledri: 50
  • Briant: 50
  • Derek: 50
  • Grigor: 50
  • Pellogres: 50
  • Rhun: 50

Reciting the Tale of the Adventure of the Sword Lake:
  • Briant: 100 points
  • Derek: 50 points
  • Grigor: 50 points
  • Pellogres: 50 points
  • Rhun: 50 points

EclecticTastes posted:

So, this Winter's going to be clear, right? I've been working Hywel over since the game began, and because I started Briant at 26 (for maximum chargen power), he's getting close to 30, so he needs to seal the deal on this soon if a kid's going to come of age before Briant kicks it. I figure, I can finally take the guy up on his invitation to drop by, from way back when we kicked some Saxon rear end. That's where I'll make my move. I figure I've built up so much good will with the guy that he'll either be overjoyed to see Briant's interested, or will let Briant marry his daughter just to get the guy out of his hair. Either way, I'm good.

Note that pretty much everything public Briant has done has, as much as anything else, been to impress Hywel. Even spending the majority of his ransom dosh on bling for the king was meant to impress Sir Hywel. Briant is going to stalk and Courtesy this man until his daughter (and her inheritance) are his.

Making sure you guys have heirs is definitely something on my mind. Those of you who have already been laying down the foundation are going to be in a good place to ask the Earl's permission by next year, if not this one. My plan for this year and maybe the next is to give anyone who wants one a short solo scenario (maybe not necessarily solo), either to wrap up a courtship or more traditional knightly fare. This is where stuff like going on a hunt with Hywel and chatting about his daughter, or giving Adwen a tour of the manorial estate, can take place.

Also, the events this year will boost your standing with the Earl unless you don't screw up or die violently (which is the only way a knight should die). Next year you'll have the chance to take part in some major stuff as well and definitely get the Earl's attention, so by the end of 489, if you haven't already brought it up, Roderick might start asking what the hold-up is.

Just watch, he'll end up marrying his daughter off to someone else for political reasons and then offer Briant the hand of her younger sister. ;)

Briant strikes me as the sort of person who can work around such difficulties. Like asking the suitor to help with bandits on his manor and accidentally forgetting to warn him about the spiked pit trap he set up along the path.

EclecticTastes posted:

Sir Hywel only has the one daughter, that I'm aware of. Also I'm pretty sure England practiced gavelkind inheritance, not primogeniture, so I'd still get something out of the deal.

In Pendragon's not-even-pretending-to-be-historically-accurate Late Antiquity Britain, primogeniture is the Cymric way. But yeah, Hywel only has the one daughter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rhun's revised Glory:

1792 (prior total) + 118 (annual bonuses) + 240 (revised annual total) = 2150 Glory. Whoo! Edited my latest character sheet.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ibntumart posted:

Briant strikes me as the sort of person who can work around such difficulties. Like asking the suitor to help with bandits on his manor and accidentally forgetting to warn him about the spiked pit trap he set up along the path.

Precisely! Briant is CrusaderKings.txt. Someone gets in his way, they have an accident, then they're not in his way anymore.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I almost started courting this season, but for whatever reason (mostly posting laziness), I missed most of winter court. And I'm sure my "That bastard Merlin tricked us into fighting supernatural beasts so he could give that magic sword to you, King Uther, which you really don't need and shouldn't use." speech probably didn't impress the ladies much.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I almost started courting this season, but for whatever reason (mostly posting laziness), I missed most of winter court. And I'm sure my "That bastard Merlin tricked us into fighting supernatural beasts so he could give that magic sword to you, King Uther, which you really don't need and shouldn't use." speech probably didn't impress the ladies much.

Well, keep in mind, if you can't find someone special through roleplaying, you can always put your trust in the dice and roll for a random marriage. I'm going to guess that you can parlay this year's questing into a sizeable bonus on the rolls.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Earl would prefer you guys come to a consensus, but majority rules will work, too. (Though having the highest Glory might also work if someone wants to force the issue).

I'll have him come back to check up on you if the knights haven't gone to him by Saturday night.

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, keep in mind, if you can't find someone special through roleplaying, you can always put your trust in the dice and roll for a random marriage. I'm going to guess that you can parlay this year's questing into a sizeable bonus on the rolls.

This is a viable strategy as well!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Post is finally up! Sorry for the delay.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
*bump*

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Huh, something about the game rules I just noticed in the Allegorical Animals sidebar. Apparently the beaver and its, uh, special metaphorical meaning triggers a check for Cowardly. This is odd, since the classical interpretation, particularly in the Christian faith, is more one of temperance, in putting one's life before one's vices, or putting the Kingdom of Heaven above earthly pleasures. Perhaps for Pagans it might be Cowardly, but I'd think that for good Christian knights, they'd get the check on Temperate, or perhaps Pious or Chaste. And how does anything related to that description of pelicans equal Piety? And when exactly would BRITISH KNIGHTS encounter elephants?!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pelicans are piety because the pelican, when it finds its children dead, will stab itself in the breast and bleed upon them, resurrecting them in a mirror of the Easter miracle.

(No, really, that's what medieval people thought.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Pelicans are piety because the pelican, when it finds its children dead, will stab itself in the breast and bleed upon them, resurrecting them in a mirror of the Easter miracle.

(No, really, that's what medieval people thought.)

Except the book says that the pelican killed them itself in a fit of righteous anger.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Except the book says that the pelican killed them itself in a fit of righteous anger.

Righteous anger is plenty pious - just ask the moneychangers.

Medieval notions of piety and modern ones really have remarkably little in common sometimes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Righteous anger is plenty pious - just ask the moneychangers.

Medieval notions of piety and modern ones really have remarkably little common sense.

This is how I read it at first. :dawkins101:

Also, I should apologize for all the crits I'm getting, holy poo poo. No joke, though, the main reason I made a Hunting roll instead of following or at least rolling a Passion is specifically because I was like, "Hell, I might crit this one, too." And I was right.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'd be pretty frightened if I saw a beaver who proceeded to bite off its own testicles and throw them at me.

Also, more specifically, the pelican is a Jesus allegory. The pelican kills its young after it gets tired of them constantly hitting it. Then, 3 days later, stabs itself, bleeds on them, and brings them back to life.

It's like God who kills mankind because we disobeyed, with the whole garden of Eden thing, and then sacrifices Himself to restore us to live through His shedding of blood.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 26, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Anyway, expect a post from me tomorrow. I will totally do that. (I lost track of the main thread, it fell off my bookmarks.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

My internet access is going to be spotty for a week, as I go visit my new in-laws for the holidays. I should - I hope - be around enough to continue playing, but if not, feel free to roll for me! I should be posting again tonight, if packing doesn't take too long.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, I know the holidays were crazy and all, but c'mon back, guys.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The boar is very much deceased, so I can move us onto the feast scene and onwards if no one objects.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sure, lets eat that boar.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I'm good with that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hell yeah, Briant's got cred to build! For all of us! But also himself. Especially himself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Holy crap, did the holidays screw with my posting - but I'm about! Let's eat some boar!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
And lo, it is done: the post is up and Uther's party is underway! Time for more shameless self-aggrandizement skillful storytelling before the court.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sorry for the radio silence im working on my thesis and it ate all my free time. I should have something up sometime next week

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Just a head's-up: I plan to put up a new post tonight and move the feast scene along with the goal of getting the knights out and about soon.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
New post is up!

Unfortunately, Mors Rattus has had to drop out. As long as the rest of you are still onboard, however, I think we're fine moving forward without needing to recruit another PC.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

New post is up!

Unfortunately, Mors Rattus has had to drop out. As long as the rest of you are still onboard, however, I think we're fine moving forward without needing to recruit another PC.

Indeed, although I may need to return to the first grade for a refresher on how to read. I went and told the story of the hunt when, in fact, we were asked to talk about Sword Lake. :negative:

I'm just gonna pretend Briant told a ripping yarn about that adventure instead. Of course, the last time I told the story, it was typo-laden and barely coherent due to lack of sleep, so apparently nobody will ever see the true version of Briant's tale.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
No worries, we can just say it was Briant workshopping new material for his one-man show "Briant: the Mad Quest For Glory." (A quest that's going well for all of you so far! Your PCs' heirs will be so proud once your knights actually have some.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

No worries, we can just say it was Briant workshopping new material for his one-man show "Briant: the Mad Quest For Glory." (A quest that's going well for all of you so far! Your PCs' heirs will be so proud once your knights actually have some.)

Woo! Quest for glory!

:qfg:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I sat and thought for a while about how Rhun might respond to Briant before finally realizing that the notion of "extensive forward planning" is probably pretty foreign to Rhun. "Be a good Pagan Knight so that people see that Pagans can be cool" is pretty much as concrete a goal as he's got.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

I sat and thought for a while about how Rhun might respond to Briant before finally realizing that the notion of "extensive forward planning" is probably pretty foreign to Rhun. "Be a good Pagan Knight so that people see that Pagans can be cool" is pretty much as concrete a goal as he's got.

It doesn't hurt for Merlin to notice the good example either, of course.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ibntumart posted:

It doesn't hurt for Merlin to notice the good example either, of course.

Well of course not, but 'get noticed by Merlin' isn't really a thing you can incorporate into plans. Merlin breaks plans.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I think I sadly will leave the campaign too. As i am not posting nor have been feeling like having adventures in logres for a while.

Thank you guys for having me and feel free to keep Derek around as an NPC

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm still here, and will post tonight after work.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

If you ever decide on picking up new knights, I've been reading along.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Shogeton posted:

If you ever decide on picking up new knights, I've been reading along.

I didn't know we had an audience, but I fully endorse this fellow joining us. I also vote he get two years worth of skill point d6s and some Glory to bring him in line with the rest of us, seems only fair. We can induct him into our little order during the adventure. Hell, now's not a bad time to jump in, he could be another knight of the Salisbury embassy, being sent along with us.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
drat, was going to post interest myself.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

drat, was going to post interest myself.

We just lost two people, so it makes sense to pick up two more if there's warm bodies for it. And just how many people are watching us...? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I'm also still reading along, but may just stay as a reader unless I'm needed. It is fun to see this game in action.

• Locked thread