Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Foma posted:

Anyone who meets pretty low criteria can run for office, those were the choices because no one took an interest. Maybe people in St. Louis should take an interest in their local government, especially if they feel the government is not working for them.

Not to keep feeding you, but have you thought that the one of the consequences of the government being corrupt is that it purposely discourages change, structurally, at all levels? And that if you live your life constantly aware of these inequalities and where the power lies, the chances of you taking action politically are diminished especially when your attempts to participate are constantly under attack through legislation?

Privilege allows for ignorance without consequences, but man you could try to at least pretend the world is more complicated than you're making it out to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Foma posted:

Care to detail where I am wrong?

Please don't be a sea lion, no one likes sea lions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This was probably addressed hundreds of pages ago, but reading some commentary on the BBC again, there is still one element of Wilson's story that I think I am misunderstanding, because it's bogus even compared to the other stuff. How could Brown even attempt to grab Wilson's gun as he describes, given a) it's in a holster and I am told police holsters are special and hard to draw out of without training, and b) he's sitting in a car and Brown is outside of it? In a pure topological sense, I don't understand how this could have happened. How would his arms bend in the right places? I feel like I'm listening to some JFK magic bullet poo poo.

I mean, if this part of the story doesn't even need to make sense because no one important cares if it's true or not, that's also an acceptable answer I guess.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Let's be real for a second here. Bob McCulloch is a prosecuting attorney and he has held this station since 1991. When he is opposed, which is somewhat rare, he wins by a wide margin. Let's say that Michael Brown was not murdered by a cop, went to college, and became a lawyer himself and aims to represent the interests of his community. If, in the intervening time McCulloch has not retired or died, what makes you think that Lawyer Brown has a sliver of a chance of winning that election?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Foma posted:

Anyone who meets pretty low criteria can run for office, those were the choices because no one took an interest. Maybe people in St. Louis should take an interest in their local government, especially if they feel the government is not working for them.

:allears:

Internet Forum poster 'Foma' solves the nasty cycle of oppression those silly blacks were lying about.

All they had to do was vote.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

SectumSempra posted:

Internet Forum poster 'Foma' solves the nasty cycle of oppression those silly blacks were lying about.

Better to go it's too hard, it can't be done, and just walk around chanting.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Samurai Sanders posted:

This was probably addressed hundreds of pages ago, but reading some commentary on the BBC again, there is still one element of Wilson's story that I think I am misunderstanding, because it's bogus even compared to the other stuff. How could Brown even attempt to grab Wilson's gun as he describes, given a) it's in a holster and I am told police holsters are special and hard to draw out of without training, and b) he's sitting in a car and Brown is outside of it? In a pure topological sense, I don't understand how this could have happened.

I mean, if this part of the story doesn't even need to make sense because no one important cares if it's true or not, that's also an acceptable answer I guess.

Nothing short of video evidence of Wilson shooting Brown in the back of the head execution style will make anyone important in the county or state government care. From their point of view, this is a simple "us versus them" issue.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

zen death robot posted:

For a candidate that didn't exist!

Should've gone for the write-in campaign.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
man this is the country where the fbi literally assassinated a civil rights leader, like not some sort of hazy third step away poo poo they literally had their informant drug him then shot him in the head twice when they raided his place

what the gently caress makes you think minorities have any chance of climbing high enough up a ladder to start making real change, let alone find enough allies up at that height to make it happen.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Foma posted:

Pretty much.

Good to see you finally getting this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xyven posted:

Nothing short of video evidence of Wilson shooting Brown in the back of the head execution style will make anyone important in the county or state government care. From their point of view, this is a simple "us versus them" issue.
I mean, was anyone asked to demonstrate how this is possible during the grand jury hearing? Or will we ever find out what kinds of evidence and testimony they saw?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Foma posted:

I guess the better choice is solemn tongue-clucking at those clueless maroons who can't just go back to working within the system that has already not only failed them but has killed members of their community and thrown the concept of justice back in their faces when they asked for more than just bundles of necks wagging in approval of a "good shoot."

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

The Ender posted:

Should've gone for the write-in campaign.

2016 elections everyone is going to vote for ellen for every position in government.
her cabinet will consist of Oprah and Ina Garten

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

This was probably addressed hundreds of pages ago, but reading some commentary on the BBC again, there is still one element of Wilson's story that I think I am misunderstanding, because it's bogus even compared to the other stuff. How could Brown even attempt to grab Wilson's gun as he describes, given a) it's in a holster and I am told police holsters are special and hard to draw out of without training, and b) he's sitting in a car and Brown is outside of it? In a pure topological sense, I don't understand how this could have happened. How would his arms bend in the right places? I feel like I'm listening to some JFK magic bullet poo poo.

In theory, most holsters have straps on them that prevent a gun from slipping out or being drawn by an aggressor.

In reality, sort of like with seatbelts (CAR ANALOGY!), people often don't bother securing all of the straps. It's plausible that a beat cop who's accustomed to a half-assed routine every day wouldn't have properly secured his firearm.

But it doesn't matter. We don't know what happened, and now we won't even get to hear formal testimony from the people who saw the altercation - all we have is whatever tidbits they told to reporters (who then cut them up & re-contextualized them to suit whatever their outlet's editorial position is).

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
The thing is, you don't even have to win. You just have to show that your community leaders can produce a number of votes for or against something and they will get concessions from politicians who need votes to get elected. It is a bit corrupt, but that's the system that exists.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, was anyone asked to demonstrate how this is possible during the grand jury hearing? Or will we ever find out what kinds of evidence and testimony they saw?

They evidence and testimony they had access to has been released and posted at various places online for people to read. Just do a Google search and it should come up.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

man this is the country where the fbi literally assassinated a civil rights leader, like not some sort of hazy third step away poo poo they literally had their informant drug him then shot him in the head twice when they raided his place

what the gently caress makes you think minorities have any chance of climbing high enough up a ladder to start making real change, let alone find enough allies up at that height to make it happen.

I just want to say... :stare:

Being Canadian I don't always know as much about the civil rights era as I ought to, and I honestly thought that your link was going to go to some weirdo fringe 9/11 truther site talking about how the FBI were totally responsible for Martin Luther King's assassination. This is so, so much worse.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kitfox88 posted:

One Barack Hussein Obama the 44th and current President of the United States.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ah yes, vote! Who do we vote FOR again, exactly? I'm all ears! :allears:

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeh, those minorities would never get elected..... The FBI wouldn't allow that http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/barackobama

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Racism is over. Stop the presses.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm not going to be shy about my skepticism of the United States voting process, but even if we assume that voting is the way to solve these problems, what you are proposing is unreasonable. It is difficult enough for disenfranchised voters to get to the ballot box as it is, but you are putting the onus of going to law school, passing the bar, and raising enough money to run a successful campaign against the mother of all incumbents on them. That's ludicrous. There are positions in local government that you can basically just show up for and get the office, but prosecuting attorney is kind of a big deal!

The people chanting -are- trying. Whether or not they will accomplish something with it, I don't know, but they are absolutely trying to change things for the better.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Aw man

quote:

We expected about twenty Panthers to be in the apartment when the police raided the place. Only two of those black niggers were killed, Fred Hampton and Mark Clark.

They only got two of 'em.

Bugger.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah, man, Obama sure solved institutionalized racism. I was thinking about how far we've come earlier this year when I got pulled over for a DWB. America.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Ender posted:

In reality, sort of like with seatbelts (CAR ANALOGY!), people often don't bother securing all of the straps. It's plausible that a beat cop who's accustomed to a half-assed routine every day wouldn't have properly secured his firearm.

I figured if that was the case, he'd just leave his gun in his holster, all buttoned up, and thus be LESS likely to be able to draw it when necessary, much less someone else.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GaussianCopula posted:

Obama's list of accomplishments for the poor and minorities isn't exactly long.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

SectumSempra posted:

It's always bizarre and very stupid when somebody starts doing the "Wow, Forums Poster X, you sure did make a post there" thing in their own posts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Himuro posted:

Ah yes, vote! Who do we vote FOR again, exactly? I'm all ears! :allears:

Certainly Wels or Thalmann. Have faith in the system, it'll work out this time.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zen death robot posted:

Congress hasn't been much help to be fair

True, though given how even his "extreme" positions are milquetoast I can't really see him being any different than [Clintonian Democrat].

Which makes sense, the only way a minority is going to ascend to those kind of heights isn't by being a firebrand.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

quote:

let alone find enough allies up at that height to make it happen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

GaussianCopula posted:

because that sure did a fat lot of good as seen in these other hit posts

420DD Butts posted:

Obama's list of accomplishments for the poor and minorities isn't exactly long.

zen death robot posted:

Congress hasn't been much help to be fair

it's almost like every minor lovely thing he's tried to do to help the poor/minorities has half of his own party run away screaming from him while the other party stops barely short of calling him a literal commie negro and sometimes don't bother to hit the breaks before that point

lots of progress in this here country yep.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
From the politoons thread, I don't want anyone to miss this.

RoanHorse posted:

I'm pretty sure this counts as a political cartoon for the purposes of this thread. I won't make a habit of posting this poo poo.

Fury Belle #89 - I try to put myself in your shoes, but it turns out you stole them already.

Could the artist not be arsed draw a loving Swoosh?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
if those slaves had just worked within the system they could've ended up working for pretty nice owners who might only beat and rape them a little and maybe even get famous as gladiators or something totally respectable and then advocated for gradual reform if they earned their freedom and citizenship, but oh wait that's ~too hard~ so I guess walking around raiding villages with fartacus it is :saddowns:

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

It's always bizarre and very stupid when somebody starts doing the "Wow, Forums Poster X, you sure did make a post there" thing in their own posts.

colon

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 26, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

MariusLecter posted:

Racism is over, now in pony cartoon form.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Prove to me that the shops being burned down are black owned. Blacks own very few shops in the ghetto, unfortunately.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

you should if you dont have a brain disorder

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured if that was the case, he'd just leave his gun in his holster, all buttoned up, and thus be LESS likely to be able to draw it when necessary, much less someone else.

Or, you know, you could read the documents, where Wilson flat out says he drew his gun from his holster and only then did Brown try to grab it. It's not some huge mystery.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Or, you know, you could read the documents, where Wilson flat out says he drew his gun from his holster and only then did Brown try to grab it. It's not some huge mystery.
Sorry. The article I was reading didn't mention that part at all, so I assumed it didn't happen that way, since that would have been pretty significant. And then of course, why you draw your gun in response to someone who's trying to punch you...

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

MariusLecter posted:

I wanted to miss it.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Oscar Grant shooting was basically this and that officer got a slap on the wrist.

What was the Oscar Grant shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Xyven posted:

The Oscar Grant shooting was basically this and that officer got a slap on the wrist.

• Locked thread