Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Interesting statistic they were talking about on the radio regarding Trestman. Every year he was in the league as an offensive coordinator, his second season, his offenses have fallen off tremendously. Only once did he make it to a third year. Here's hoping he keeps his streak alive. :v:

Seriously, you could've had Bruce Arians, who had a much better pedigree and had been an NFL coach in the last five years. It really makes me wonder how Emery survives this.

Emery whiffed hard on Trestman but generally speaking a GM's first coaching pick doesn't doom him, especially not with the Bears, who are reluctant to fire anyone. Emery's drafting hasn't been God-awful, at least.

I still think Trestman survives this season, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

wheez the roux posted:

god no don't give them ideas

of course if not there, then he'll go to the bears

I would be so down with this

e: at the packers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

The way I remember it, Smith wrapped the Carolina game in a bow and handed it to Rivera, but Graham Gano missed his second ever field goal at home... it was luck that won that game. But in any event, when you've got Matt Bryant kicking from inside 40 yards... you uh... you loving take the points, bruh, run the clock down and let the clutchest loving player on your team win the game for you.

edit: I'm having a seriously hard time believing the Saints dropped 3 in a row at the Superdome. It makes me think they have as much of a chance to turn it around as Tampa does.

Any given sunday focuses on Mike Smith's mistakes and descent into poor coaching: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2014/any-given-sunday-browns-over-falcons

Basically that whole drive was a colossal fuckup, from the Falcons running hurry up at midfield, when they should've taken their time, leading into the insane timeout usage at the end of the game.

Personally, I think that 3rd down pass was a fine play call, it was just executed poorly. They had the right matchups and two open receivers immediately.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Any given sunday focuses on Mike Smith's mistakes and descent into poor coaching: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2014/any-given-sunday-browns-over-falcons

Basically that whole drive was a colossal fuckup, from the Falcons running hurry up at midfield, when they should've taken their time, leading into the insane timeout usage at the end of the game.

Personally, I think that 3rd down pass was a fine play call, it was just executed poorly. They had the right matchups and two open receivers immediately.

Hurry-up is where Ryan and that offense thrives. They used it to get deep enough to win the game, and then they stopped. What happened after that is what baffles me.

edit:

quote:

D. Orlando Ledbetter

#Falcons coach Mike Smith said he shouldn't have called that TO. "I didn't do my job," Smith said

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 25, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oldskool posted:

I've had to listen to Panthers fans poo poo on Rivera for 2 weeks about how dumb it was to run-run-run-FG against ATL, and now I see Falcons fans making GBS threads on Brown for not run-run-run-FG.

If what you do doesn't work, everybody says you should've done the other thing. Even if you did the other thing last time and it didn't work!

He gets poo poo on because he was playing for a 55 yard field goal, and would have left atlanta 90 seconds on the clock. These situations aren't similar.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chichevache posted:

Jacksonville D gonna be sicknasty next year. (Please give Bradley one more season. If that offense can produce just a little bit the D will win you 6 or 7)

I sure hope he gets another season. The team has been drafting well and had some decent FA signings. He is a loving wizard, getting that talent deficient defense to be so sacky and not-terrible, but the Offense is pppbbbbtt a bunch of rookies and second year players.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

Emery whiffed hard on Trestman but generally speaking a GM's first coaching pick doesn't doom him, especially not with the Bears, who are reluctant to fire anyone. Emery's drafting hasn't been God-awful, at least.

I still think Trestman survives this season, unfortunately.

I think he does too, but it really depends on how the rest of the season plays out. They have a very realistic chance of losing out. The Lions twice, the Cowboys, the Saints and the Vikings.

I honestly don't see how they can let him keep his job. I get that Cutler turns the ball over, but you can't coach scared and that is exactly what they are doing. This team is failing in every level of the game.

I don't think Emery should be fired. As much as people want to blame him for Trestman, I don't think anyone looks at our roster and think it lacks talent. People like to bring up McClellin to poo poo on his drafts, but he also drafted Jeffrey in that draft. He seems to be hitting on young players at a much better rate than the rest of the league, and he has done a great job of using free agency to fill those gaps.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sataere posted:

I think he does too, but it really depends on how the rest of the season plays out. They have a very realistic chance of losing out. The Lions twice, the Cowboys, the Saints and the Vikings.

I honestly don't see how they can let him keep his job. I get that Cutler turns the ball over, but you can't coach scared and that is exactly what they are doing. This team is failing in every level of the game.

I don't think Emery should be fired. As much as people want to blame him for Trestman, I don't think anyone looks at our roster and think it lacks talent. People like to bring up McClellin to poo poo on his drafts, but he also drafted Jeffrey in that draft. He seems to be hitting on young players at a much better rate than the rest of the league, and he has done a great job of using free agency to fill those gaps.

He fixed your mess of an O line, that is a great start.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chichevache posted:

He fixed your mess of an O line, that is a great start.

:ssh: He really didn't, Trestman is just calling mostly short plays and screens. to hide the fact that if Cutler takes more than a 3 step drop he is getting burned heavy.

I mean I guess it's no longer god awful, and closer to just below average. But it's not "fixed" by any stretch of the imagination.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pretty much this.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Needs a few more names on it but yeah, that's about the long and short of it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Idzik went into one of the greatest receiver drafts in recent history with a need at receiver being one of their concerns and opted to draft nobody.

The sheer incompetence is mind boggling

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Idzik went into one of the greatest receiver drafts in recent history with a need at receiver being one of their concerns and opted to draft nobody.

but he got percy harvin and eric decker and its worked out really well for thepppppffffffttttttahahhahaahaha

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The 2 guys who tried to buy the Jets back in 99 were Woody and Dolan. Jesus christ you couldn't ask for two bigger trustfund fuckups in the entire United States.

wheez the roux posted:

but he got percy harvin and eric decker and its worked out really well for thepppppffffffttttttahahhahaahaha
Harvin/Decker/Kerley and Amaro isn't a bad receiving corps. It's respectable. There's just no one to throw them the ball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's even worse than that. He drafted 3 WR's who haven't played 1 snap this season. It's almost hard to believe how pathetic that is. Just the idea of holding all 12 draft picks and not moving up or down in the draft to get targeted players shows that he just has no idea what he's doing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dexo posted:

:ssh: He really didn't, Trestman is just calling mostly short plays and screens. to hide the fact that if Cutler takes more than a 3 step drop he is getting burned heavy.

I mean I guess it's no longer god awful, and closer to just below average. But it's not "fixed" by any stretch of the imagination.

Really? I thought guys like Long had totally turned the line around.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chichevache posted:

Long is decent, but Mills gets worked whenever there is any type of athletic pass rusher on his side, He's still spinning in circles from what J-Pep and Cameron Wake did to him. Bushrod has been subpar, and De La Puente/Garza/ have been subpar as well.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

This seems to cover how much Idzick has bungled the draft fairly well.

It's not even just Idzick though, this team has been playing sloppy, disorganized, lazy football since week 1. The more time the Jets have to prepare, the WORSE they do. That isn't anything new to this season, it's been like that for all of Rex's tenure. From memory, it felt like the Jets have gotten blown out once a season. It's a little worse than that actually. Losses by at least 21 points:

2009: 0
2010: 1
2011: 2
2012: 4
2013: 3
2014: 3

And there was more than a few games that were losses by 20 points exactly. gently caress.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 25, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

This seems to cover how much Idzick has bungled the draft fairly well.

It's not even just Idzick though, this team has been playing sloppy, disorganized, lazy football since week 1. The more time the Jets have to prepare, the WORSE they do. That isn't anything new to this season, it's been like for all of Rex's tenure. From memory, it felt like the Jets have gotten blown out once a season. It's a little worse than that actually. Losses by at least 21 points:

2009: 0
2010: 1
2011: 2
2012: 4
2013: 3
2014: 3

And there was more than a few games that were losses by 20 points exactly. gently caress.

The Jets have the been a putrid, unwatchable offensive team for 5 years under Rex and thats what that gets you. What's amazing is how easily they are able to fool themselves based on meaningless wins vs bad teams at the end of last season and vs Pit a few weeks ago.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is their WR position really the problem?

Does it matter where the players come from?

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Bort Bortles posted:

I sure hope he gets another season. The team has been drafting well and had some decent FA signings. He is a loving wizard, getting that talent deficient defense to be so sacky and not-terrible, but the Offense is pppbbbbtt a bunch of rookies and second year players.

I think Gus gets another year almost entirely on the strength of that D, but there's a groundswell of people who want Jedd Fisch gone and...I can't really blame them. The offense isn't a dumpster fire like in the past, but it's definitely not good right now. I don't think the blame can be laid at Bortles' feet, either; he makes some bad throws, but that's to be expected. Right now, he's not even getting the chance to make those bad throws, because the offensive playcalling seems to be keeping him handcuffed to dumpoffs, swings, and screens. Shore up the line a little more, let the receivers and BORT mature, this offense is close if they get someone who will open up the playbook.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Is their WR position really the problem?

Does it matter where the players come from?

It sure as hell doesn't help. They had dire need at WR. I mean jesus christ Stephen Hill last year was their chose one.

ANd holy hell he's on the Panthers practice square he is loving awful

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It sure as hell doesn't help. They had dire need at WR. I mean jesus christ Stephen Hill last year was their chose one.

ANd holy hell he's on the Panthers practice square he is loving awful

That was a really good move by Carolina. Stash him on the p squad and let Proehl work with him for a year.

I watched him play at GT. The guy has all the physical ability in the world but has absolutely no idea how to play the position. Getting drafted by the Jets didn't help that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thatguyclint posted:

I think Gus gets another year almost entirely on the strength of that D, but there's a groundswell of people who want Jedd Fisch gone and...I can't really blame them. The offense isn't a dumpster fire like in the past, but it's definitely not good right now. I don't think the blame can be laid at Bortles' feet, either; he makes some bad throws, but that's to be expected. Right now, he's not even getting the chance to make those bad throws, because the offensive playcalling seems to be keeping him handcuffed to dumpoffs, swings, and screens. Shore up the line a little more, let the receivers and BORT mature, this offense is close if they get someone who will open up the playbook.

I havent been able to watch closely enough to be sure about the Offense being the coordinator/position coaches or the players (mostly the O-line), but it is quite obviously Very Bad and something needs to change. I am hoping they have a trade-able first rounder so someone can get their QB and the Jaguars can get some extra picks because they have been drafting so well. I am absolutely amazed the defense has been playing as well as it has considering the complete lack of a noteworthy corner and only one noteworthy safety (who is a rookie) being on the roster.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm kinda surprised Hill still had practice squad eligibility, I thought he had been on an active roster too long for that.

I remember being super happy that the Niners didn't draft him, and then AJ Jenkins happened :shepicide:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm kinda surprised Hill still had practice squad eligibility, I thought he had been on an active roster too long for that.

I remember being super happy that the Niners didn't draft him, and then AJ Jenkins happened :shepicide:

are you ready to recant for the whole "bulking up" debacle?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

Pretty sure he did at some point over the last two years that we've been mocking him for it, yeah.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grozz Nuy posted:

He was picked after AJ Jenkins, so... this confuses me

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Chichevache posted:

The line is improved, but our second best lineman has been hurt most of the season and Bushrod hasn't been nearly as good as last year. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's been playing hurt. He's been especially bad since that weird non-football injury a few weeks ago. Before that, I didn't really notice him being subpar.

Also, Trestman did a good job of bringing in an extra lineman to make sure Cutler had more time. There is no doubting that the line was significantly improved last year, but at this point I wonder how much of that was actually Trestman. We brought in two free agents, drafted two lineman and basically switched four out of five lineman. It could be as simple as being more talented than it was. Personally, I think Kromer has as much to do with the improvement as Trestman.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

The way I remember it, Smith wrapped the Carolina game in a bow and handed it to Rivera, but Graham Gano missed his second ever field goal at home... it was luck that won that game. But in any event, when you've got Matt Bryant kicking from inside 40 yards... you uh... you loving take the points, bruh, run the clock down and let the clutchest loving player on your team win the game for you.

edit: I'm having a seriously hard time believing the Saints dropped 3 in a row at the Superdome. It makes me think they have as much of a chance to turn it around as Tampa does.

That game was a coaching retard fight. While fair enough Gano should have slotted the first kick. The Panthers still had time on the board and a fresh set of downs. The game had been up and down back and fourth and the entire last 20 minutes had been Cam shredding the Atlanta secondary, something Ryan had done all day to the Panthers secondary. The team was fired up as poo poo and clicking and then they took their foot off the gas. Rivera was attempting to give Carolina a tiny lead with over a minute thirty on the clock. Ryan had been trouncing the panthers backfield all day and expecting them to magically make a play was stupid in itself.

Both head coaches tried their best to give that game away. Rivera failed spectacularly though because he completely misread the temperature of the guys he's been coaching for three years. They were hungry, they were executing and they were champing at the bit for a chance to land a knock out blow. You've got two receivers who're over 6"5 who'd shown the ability to get open. Why not give them a chance to finish out the game? The players practically deflated when he called run plays, when they broke the huddle I knew the call. They didn't give a poo poo. Avant got cut because he all but said this publicly.

Bort Bortles posted:

I havent been able to watch closely enough to be sure about the Offense being the coordinator/position coaches or the players (mostly the O-line), but it is quite obviously Very Bad and something needs to change. I am hoping they have a trade-able first rounder so someone can get their QB and the Jaguars can get some extra picks because they have been drafting so well. I am absolutely amazed the defense has been playing as well as it has considering the complete lack of a noteworthy corner and only one noteworthy safety (who is a rookie) being on the roster.

I think it would be crazy to fire Bradley at this point. I mean the team isn't great but they at least look better than years past and are building a nucleus, I think any sign of regression next year could spell trouble, but I think any head coach needs a good three years to rebuild a team from the poo poo show that Jacksonville was.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ozu posted:

The 2 guys who tried to buy the Jets back in 99 were Woody and Dolan. Jesus christ you couldn't ask for two bigger trustfund fuckups in the entire United States.
Harvin/Decker/Kerley and Amaro isn't a bad receiving corps. It's respectable. There's just no one to throw them the ball.

If only I had 680 million dollars in 1999.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope some foreign mob kingpin buys the jets next so some of these poo poo head coaches and gms they hire can get straight disappeared into a shipping container on the bottom of the ocean instead of hanging around on the team for 3 years too long. I mean they'll never actually hire the right people because jets so that's the next best thing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FizFashizzle posted:

I didn't say that, that was somebody else. The only defense of AJ Jenkins I made is when the initial bust conversation happened I said that it was way too early to write off a guy's NFL career after 7 games, which is something I would absolutely stand behind for any player. Obviously in the time since Jenkins has shown that he wasn't getting playing time on the Niners for a reason.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He was picked after AJ Jenkins, so... this confuses me

The Niners were linked heavily to Hill pre-draft by a lot of pundits. I hated him as a prospect and wanted them to take just about anyone else. Of course, they ended up taking somebody just about as bad. That entire draft was a debacle for the Niners, thankfully it seems to be a one-time misstep because this draft class is already dramatically exceeding expectations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Geno Smith to Start Monday Night

:suicide:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I mean, does it really matter? They're both terrible options.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Who cares. They are unwatchable either way. Just keep losing. The more interesting part of this is that this is probably Idzik's last power play over Rex hoping that if Geno plays well for a few games that Woody Johnson is a large enough idiot to get fooled again like he did last year into thinking that the team is in the right direction based on a few meaningless games...

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

For the purposes of losing every remaining game for draft position, I approve.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Lets shatter the garbage QBs confidence even more is an excellant tactic. Let no fan speak "Geno needs weapons"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Lets shatter the garbage QBs confidence even more is an excellant tactic. Let no fan speak "Geno needs weapons"

If I never read another person write or say the phrase "shatter a QB's confidence" that would make me very very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

If I never read another person write or say the phrase "shatter a QB's confidence" that would make me very very happy.

I want him to not only question his decisionmaking in his checkdown reads, but also his decisionmaking as a man on this Earth.

• Locked thread