Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know if I'm willing to pay to find out how R2 got turned into a soccer ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Those fuckin' X-Wings.

Those fuckin' Stormtroopers.

I'm hyped.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seems promising enough.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
This is definitely gonna be awful, and I'm glad about that because 1) the poo poo-eating public can eat poo poo and 2) i LOVE to get mad about how dumb Star Wars is, in fact that is the main element of my appreciation of Star Wars, so in that sense I'm "looking" "forward" to the next movie.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Looks pretty okay.

If it's stupid poo poo like the Star Trek reboots I'll be okay with it; if it's stupid boring poo poo like the Star Wars prequels I won't be okay with it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I'm not sure how I feel about the classic "filming spaceships like WWII footage" cinematography vs. the trademark Abrams "filming spaceships like Transformers footage" dichotomy. The barrel roll unnamed Corellian corvette freighter :xd: (that we all assume is the Millennium Falcon) shot looks wicked as hell, but it feels more like the new BSG than it does Star Wars.

Edit: there, you all happy now?

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Corellian corvette (that we all assume is the Millennium Falcon)

:toughguy:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Someone on TFN posted this, I laughed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the classic "filming spaceships like WWII footage" cinematography vs. the trademark Abrams "filming spaceships like Transformers footage" dichotomy. The barrel roll unnamed Corellian corvette (that we all assume is the Millennium Falcon) shot looks wicked as hell, but it feels more like the new BSG than it does Star Wars.

It's a YT-1300 light freighter, not a corvette. A corellian corvette looks like this:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

It's a YT-1300 light freighter, not a corvette. A corellian corvette looks like this:

Interestingly, the Corellian Corvette was an adaptation of the original concept for the Falcon.

Still, :toughguy:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Metal Loaf posted:

Maybe it's not always elegantly done when Luceno does it, but it seems to me as though it's just a feature of how he writes in general and his world-building sensibilities (which I think are influenced a lot by Frank Herbert's Dune) in particular; indeed, it's my understanding Luceno received similar criticism when he was co-writing the Robotech adaptations with Brian Daley in the 1980s.

That seems oddly appropriate, considering how much Star Wars was influenced by Dune.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Interestingly, the Corellian Corvette was an adaptation of the original concept for the Falcon.

Still, :toughguy:

Design notes: Too phallic. MUCH too phallic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So basically just a Corellian gunship?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

jivjov posted:

Wait, did they put the rectangular deflector dish that was on what ended up being the Tantive IV in place of the circular one lost on the Falcon in a behind-the-scenes reversal of this
that only nerds could appreciate? Abrams might just be as spergy as the rest of us.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Van Dis posted:

This is definitely gonna be awful, and I'm glad about that because 1) the poo poo-eating public can eat poo poo

You're probably a real winner at parties

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The mini blades on the guard of the Lightsaber only look dangerous to the wielder, not the opponent.
The rotation in the Falcon scene was nausea inducing, and I saw a webm of someone who rotated the footage so that the Falcon doesn't appear to be spinning and it significantly improves the shot.

All in all, the teaser was awful except the X-Wings, which were awesome because they're X-Wings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aurain posted:

All in all, the teaser was awful except the X-Wings, which were awesome because they're X-Wings.

Even the X-wing designs in the trailer were based on the original McQuarrie design rather than what it ended up being in the OT, just like the roller-droid was his original concept for R2-D2 and the gate-shaped building that Daisy Ridley is zooming towards is an original unused McQuarrie Tatooine design. They're really heavily mining McQuarrie for this movie, which makes me think that the rumors of John Boyega's character being a lightsaber-armed stormtrooper (as well as the chrome-armored stormtroopers) will also turn out to be true.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chairman Capone posted:

which makes me think that the rumors of John Boyega's character being a lightsaber-armed stormtrooper (as well as the chrome-armored stormtroopers) will also turn out to be true.

The closest thing we'll ever get to having an Imperial Knight on-screen. :sigh:

Antequek
May 30, 2014
Are there any important plot points in the rogue squadron comics that I should be aware of before reading the books?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Antequek posted:

Are there any important plot points in the rogue squadron comics that I should be aware of before reading the books?
No. I didn't even know there was a comic series until a while after I'd finished the books, and I didn't feel like I missed anything.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You missed Horton Salm being a badass over Brentaal IV. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The last third of the comic is about how Isard comes to power which plays a bit into the book series. Also, Isard's Revenge is pretty much a direct sequel to the end of the comic and has a few returning characters, and the smuggler woman from The Bacta War is also introduced in one of the comic storylines, but the majority of the book/comic series are separate.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

The last third of the comic is about how Isard comes to power which plays a bit into the book series. Also, Isard's Revenge is pretty much a direct sequel to the end of the comic and has a few returning characters, and the smuggler woman from The Bacta War is also introduced in one of the comic storylines, but the majority of the book/comic series are separate.

Isard's Revenge is a little weird without reading the comics. You can tell that you've missed something, sort of.

It's also the worst book in the series so this doesn't really matter very much.

Antequek
May 30, 2014
I think I might still check out the comic then, I'm trying to get the most out of the legacy canon before the new movie comes out. Just read the Thrawn trilogy, truce as Bakura and Shadows of the empire so now I'm moving on to X-wing.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Anyone have that picture of the dude with all the lightsabers poking out of his armor?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

buffybot posted:

Let's not forget about ol' Saber Knees.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How does he scratch his nose?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Neurion posted:

How does he scratch his nose?

Very carefully.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antequek posted:

I think I might still check out the comic then, I'm trying to get the most out of the legacy canon before the new movie comes out. Just read the Thrawn trilogy, truce as Bakura and Shadows of the empire so now I'm moving on to X-wing.

Avoid anything by KJA. I obsessively read the Young Jedi Knights series when I was 11, and a year or two later I realized how poorly written it was. Literally everything that man writes is garbage.

Most of the good Legacy canon are the short series, one-off books, and comics. Once you get into the 20 book series with the Vong there's maybe 5 books that are actually good, the rest are just worthless filler.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of garbage, what is going on with those avatars? seeing them everywhere.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

pentyne posted:

Avoid anything by KJA. I obsessively read the Young Jedi Knights series when I was 11, and a year or two later I realized how poorly written it was. Literally everything that man writes is garbage.

Most of the good Legacy canon are the short series, one-off books, and comics. Once you get into the 20 book series with the Vong there's maybe 5 books that are actually good, the rest are just worthless filler.

However, reading Stackpole's I, Jedi take the piss out of the Young Jedi Knights stuff is pretty funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of garbage, what is going on with those avatars? seeing them everywhere.

They replaced the Newbie baby I think.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Lucas was a dick to his wife (who was the only reason Star Wars is any good)

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

Read the whole article.

quote:

Biographer Dale Pollock once wrote that Marcia was George Lucas' "secret weapon." [i] Most people are aware that George Lucas was once married, and probably some are aware that his wife worked in the film industry herself and edited all of George's early films before their 1983 divorce. But few are aware of the implications that her presence brought, and the transformations her departure allowed. She was, in many ways, more than just the supportive wife--she was a partner as well. "Not a fifty percent partner," as she herself admits, but nonetheless an important one, and the only person that Lucas could totally confide in back then. Today, she has been practically erased from the history books at Lucasfilm. Looking through J.W. Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, she is mentioned only occasionally in passing, a background element, and not a single word of hers is quoted; she is a silent extra, absent from any photographs and only indirectly acknowledged, her contributions downplayed. In the documentary Empire of Dreams, she is barely even mentioned in passing, except when the narration states that she edited the film and Lucas says he "got divorced as Jedi was complete" in the last two minutes of the supposedly-definitive documentary. Other products fare not much better, since many of them are published through Lucasfilm; her entire existence has nearly been ignored. Marcia Lucas, the "other" Lucas, has basically become the forgotten Lucas.

Perhaps it is the painful memories of the final unhealthy years of their marriage, during which Marcia finally left Lucas for another man and got a large cash settlement, that has prompted him to essentially never speak of her again. Indeed, it is a rare day when her name is uttered by him, even as "my wife" and other impersonal labels. Even in the 70s and 80s she was defined not on her own merits but by her relationship to George--she was not just Marcia, she was "Marcia, the wife of George Lucas", forever overshadowed. Yet nonetheless, Lucas and every fan of his films owe her a debt of gratitude. She was an instrumental part in the shaping of his scripts, and the primary force behind their final form in the editorial stage, where she cut the pictures herself. But more than that, she had a prolific and successful career of her own as an editor, and was a key figure in the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s; a secondary figure, perhaps, yet unlike other secondary figures such as Walter Murch and John Milius, her existence has been almost entirely forgotten.

In this article I will be taking a look at the life and career of Marcia Lucas (nee Griffin), and the impact and influence she had on her husband's films.

Such a piece has never been attempted before, whether in print, in video, or on the internet. Even on web pages all one finds is a couple of piecemeal trivia bits; forget about an actual quote from the woman herself or anything more than a handful of sentences. This is the first-ever biography of Marcia Griffin, and the reason why I decided to undertake such a piece. Marcia was a charismatic and talented woman, who had a significant--but basically unappreciated--influence on 1970s filmmaking, both directly and indirectly. In the direct sense, she was the primary picture cutter for her husband, George Lucas, as well as Martin Scorsese, in addition to the other films she edited and assistant edited. Indirectly, she was part of the social scene, as both Lucas' spouse and as a creative collaborator herself, and part of the inner circle of the influential "Movie Brats". Her opinions, her suggestions and her interactions formed and shaped the collective movement, and her subtle influence in this respect is especially unnoticed. She also, as I alluded to earlier, was a profound part of the cinema of her husband, who himself is one of the most successful and influential filmmakers in history. In fact, the only Oscar the Lucases ever earned was hers, for editing Star Wars ...

(continued in link)

George had every nerd's fantasy happen to him?

quote:

"She was a knock-out," John Milius remembers. "We all wondered how little George got this great looking girl. And smart too, obsessed with films. And she was a better editor than he was."

All hail the Mighty Lucas's intellect that you plebs can't understand.

quote:

...It also led to some tension in the editing room. Cutting the picture together in the attic of their home, the long work hours and strenuous circumstances of its making sometimes brought out unpleasantries. "I like to become emotionally involved in a movie," she says. "I want to be scared, I want to cry, and I never cared for THX-1138 because it left me cold. When the studio didn't like the film, I wasn't surprised. But George just said to me, I was stupid and knew nothing. Because I was just a Valley Girl. He was the intellectual...

"After THX went down the toilet, I never said, 'I told you so,' but I reminded George that I warned him it hadn't involved the audience emotionally...He always said, 'Emotionally involving the audience is easy. Anybody can do it blindfolded, get a little kitten and have some guy wring its neck.'"

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 30, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jng2058 posted:

However, reading Stackpole's I, Jedi take the piss out of the Young Jedi Knights stuff is pretty funny.

I, Jedi is by far the funniest book in the old canon, if you read Kevin J. Anderson's poo poo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

tribbledirigible posted:

Wait, did they put the rectangular deflector dish that was on what ended up being the Tantive IV in place of the circular one lost on the Falcon in a behind-the-scenes reversal of this

that only nerds could appreciate? Abrams might just be as spergy as the rest of us.

No one else has commented but I was thinking the same thing before I saw your post.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Everybody needs to see this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Needs more awkward nineties CG.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

This is great. For some reason seeing Jabba was the part that cracked me up the most.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Lucas was a dick to his wife (who was the only reason Star Wars is any good)

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

The Secret History of Star Wars is overall a great book that I encourage anyone interested in either Star Wars or the movie-making process in general to read. It's also researched to an amazing degree and points out all the places in official Lucasfilm Making Of books where they whitewash/edit history to conform to what was the modern-day Lucas line.

Another example in addition to the Marcia Lucas thing that comes to mind, in Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars, he has a section pointing out notes from Lucas supposedly from 1977 about midi-chlorians to highlight how Lucas "always" had that in mind, and only later on his personal blog stated that the midi-chlorian stuff was written in 2007 by Lucas to "properly update" his thoughts from 1977.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Secret History of Star Wars also includes the transcript of an interview from the seventies where Lucas mentioned midichlorians, I can't cite where in the book though as I only have it on audiobook.