Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I'm triggering here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Will he get compensated for the games he could have been playing and was prevented from doing so is the question.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Lorini posted:

Will he get compensated for the games he could have been playing and was prevented from doing so is the question.

If the ravens hadn't cut him, maybe, but I think since he is a free agent he wouldn't have been paid anyway, so the answer will be no

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What I was thinking was that in theory he could have signed with another team during that time. So maybe they have to wait to see if he does sign and then decide? Not sure.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

Lorini posted:

I think the issue is that had RR not been subject to double jeopardy, which the judge just said was unreasonable, RR should have continued playing and wouldn't have been cut. You could even assume his future earning were significantly affected by the NFL'S inadequate investigation and improper punishment. I'm not a lawyer but I'd imagine that dude will get a sizable undisclosed settlement at some point in the future (given he never plays again).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hah, the ruling basically calls Goodell a liar. That's what ESPN should be running with.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11950012

see everybody, ray isn't such a bad guy. all you need to do to come to that conclusion is to be knocked unconscious by him so you won't remember he uppercutted you into a gentle slumber

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I mean I know the Saints are bad but drat.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Aye Doc posted:

see everybody, ray isn't such a bad guy. all you need to do to come to that conclusion is to be knocked unconscious by him so you won't remember he uppercutted you into a gentle slumber

The fix is in:

quote:

"We felt like a weight had been lifted," Janay said. "Mr. Goodell seemed to be a really reasonable and caring guy and wanted to make sure other people would learn from our mistake."

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

That must have been a big rear end check he slide under the table :stare:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ray Rice gonna tear it up for the newly reformed Alaska Wild

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spoeank posted:

Ray Rice gonna tear it up for the newly reformed Alaska Wild

While Georgia continues to not give a gently caress about football.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aye Doc posted:

Yeah I was gonna post this. She straight-up confirms two horrible things that everybody already suspected:

- She has no memory of the elevator and is only describing the assault the way Ray told her to
- The Ravens did indeed trot her out with an apology script and she followed along (but it's okay because she "owned the words" or some poo poo). Wow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What the gently caress...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That Works posted:

They probably still believe in bounties too

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hazo posted:

Yeah I was gonna post this. She straight-up confirms two horrible things that everybody already suspected:

- She has no memory of the elevator and is only describing the assault the way Ray told her to

And she refuses to watch the video:

quote:

I was over this, and I didn't need the visual. How was seeing it going to help me? I knew that would only bring me back there. After Ray watched it, I asked him not to look at it again, because I knew it was only the devil trying to come in and ruin how far we've come. I refused to go backwards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

She would have more credibility if she watched the video, as is she has very little credibility.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lorini posted:

I think he's suing the Ravens for the guaranteed money he feel's he's owed

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

That Works posted:

the math adds up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, She still knew what happens. Even if she doesn't remember it, she was there when Ray explained what happened to Goodell and the Ravens.

Like seriously, The Ravens were on some Grade A bullshit for that apology press conference. But gently caress off with admonishing her on her lack of desire to watch a video recording of herself getting knocked out.

That's almost like telling a rape victim that they should watch a video recording of themselves getting raped.

If she wants to stay with Ray, then she should be able to stay with Ray without people jumping on her and insulting her. Maybe he'll do it again, and she'll regret it later, or maybe Ray realizes that he hosed up and lost control, and this was a one time thing. But please try not to insult the victim for trying to continue on and salvage/repair a damaged relationship.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

While Georgia continues to not give a gently caress about football.

It's been a bad year for football in georgia okay?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Eh, She still knew what happens. Even if she doesn't remember it, she was there when Ray explained what happened to Goodell and the Ravens.

Like seriously, The Ravens were on some Grade A bullshit for that apology press conference. But gently caress off with admonishing her on her lack of desire to watch a video recording of herself getting knocked out.

That's almost like telling a rape victim that they should watch a video recording of themselves getting raped.

If she wants to stay with Ray, then she should be able to stay with Ray without people jumping on her and insulting her. Maybe he'll do it again, and she'll regret it later, or maybe Ray realizes that he hosed up and lost control, and this was a one time thing. But please try not to insult the victim for trying to continue on and salvage/repair a damaged relationship.

No, it's not like a rape victim at all. IF (and this was HER CHOICE) she wants to discuss this with credibility she has to know what happened. ESPN did not force her to give that interview. If she doesn't want to watch the video, that's certainly up to her. But then don't turn around and give an interview discussing what she doesn't know about.

There are obviously different opinions, but unfortunately this type of stuff comes with the territory. When a celebrity or near celebrity like she is stays in damaging relationships, it only encourages other women to do the same. Except they aren't married to a multi-millionaire.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lorini posted:

No, it's not like a rape victim at all. IF (and this was HER CHOICE) she wants to discuss this with credibility she has to know what happened. ESPN did not force her to give that interview. If she doesn't want to watch the video, that's certainly up to her. But then don't turn around and give an interview discussing what she doesn't know about.

There are obviously different opinions, but unfortunately this type of stuff comes with the territory. When a celebrity or near celebrity like she is stays in damaging relationships, it only encourages other women to do the same. Except they aren't married to a multi-millionaire.

She gave an interview, and answered questions honestly about how she felt at each specific point in time during the process. She feels as though the relationship is worth at least attempting to try and save. This was an interview about her thought processes during each part of this whole situation. She's not speaking as though she is some expert on domestic violence, she's saying that she personally doesn't want to watch the video. She knows what happened, just like the League and the Ravens knew what happened. just because she isn't cognizant of the particulars doesn't mean she can't speak to her emotions during that process.

Also she's loving lived this whole thing, she can discuss her own feelings and thoughts with perfect credibility.

This is a whole other discussion, but I hate hate hate how people expect players and other celebrities to be perfect and represent an entire subsection of people. Those other women make their own decisions about whether to stay or whether to leave, Janay shouldn't be held to some super high standard just because she happened to be in a relationship with a football player. If Janay had left, it wouldn't have caused some wave of domestic abuse victims leaving their abuser, as from my personal experiences in seeing domestic violence the victim tends to need to find their own reason and conviction to leave. Very few times is someone just purely convinced to leave through the words or actions of someone else.

It's not like money or fame makes you smarter, and allows you any more perspective on a situation than any other human being.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2014

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dexo posted:

You're right, insulting a victim of domestic violence is hosed up. But there is no "cure" for this kind of abuse, and there is no "maybe this was a one time thing."

She needs to get the gently caress out of that relationship and the idea that the whole thing can be "salvaged" is hosed up. Women need to leave abusive relationships and given the support and encouragement necessary to do so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You're right, insulting a victim of domestic violence is hosed up. But there is no "cure" for this kind of abuse, and there is no "maybe this was a one time thing."

She needs to get the gently caress out of that relationship and the idea that the whole thing can be "salvaged" is hosed up. Women need to leave abusive relationships and given the support and encouragement necessary to do so.

Eh, speaking in absolutes? I have literally seen relationships get better after a domestic abuse incident, it's not a common occurrence, but counseling and therapy for the abuser can resolve problems.

Now, like I said this isn't common by any stretch, but I'm not going to berate someone for holding out hope and working on it.

But like I said, each victim generally has to come to the realization that it can't be salvaged on their own, as one thing that is rare is someone just being talked out of a bad relationship without having the conviction themselves.

Like my mom works as a social worker, and I have literally sat outside of an office where she was telling this women that she and her kids need to leave an abusive relationship but she kept coming back with excuse after excuse(don't know what ended up happening but yeah).

People are rarely rational actors when it comes to emotional attachments and relationships.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say, that people close to her shouldn't be trying to separate them/do what's best for her. My main problem is that people are insulting her because she is reacting like most human beings react in this situation. Like if she asked me(for some godforsaken reason) I would probably tell her to sever, but I'm not going to tell say she needs to do that poo poo to represent abuse victims everywhere, I would tell her it because it's more than likely in her best interest. If she still wants to have a relationship to separate for a year and see if counseling and therapy fixed whatever caused the incident.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 30, 2014

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You realize that many domestic violence victims DIE, don't you? They never get the chance 'to come to a realization' because they are DEAD.

Is this the same argument that says xyz (even though terrible and shouldn't exist) is OK because 'hey they could get better??"

And no, she's not reacting like most human beings in this situation, most human beings would have left him.

I have no clue how you are coming to these silly conclusions but they are wrong and actually harmful to people who are in these relationships. There needs to be zero tolerance for domestic violence on both sides.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Most human beings say they would have left him. Most human beings have never been in anything even remotely close to her situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lorini posted:

And no, she's not reacting like most human beings in this situation, most human beings would have left him.

That's actually sadly not really the case.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The average relationship with domestic violence being like that isn't proof that every relationship is like that. She has repeatedly said that this was a one time thing, and it's god damned patronizing to throw someone into a situation where they literally can never redeem themselves in the very small minority of cases that don't fit in the norm. Let's not forget that the reason that Rice was initially handled with kid gloves was because he had such a strong reputation before this. People, myself included, could not believe that he'd be capable of this - that there must be some kind of extenuating circumstances.

He's been a public figure for over a decade going back to his days as a big HS football star in suburban NYC. If this was a pattern then accusations would be coming out of the woodwork like they did with Bill Cosby.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lorini posted:

You realize that many domestic violence victims DIE, don't you? They never get the chance 'to come to a realization' because they are DEAD.

Is this the same argument that says xyz (even though terrible and shouldn't exist) is OK because 'hey they could get better??"

I have no clue how you are coming to these silly conclusions but they are wrong and actually harmful to people who are in these relationships. There needs to be zero tolerance for domestic violence on both sides.

Trust me I'm well aware of potential consequences, I'm not coming to any conclusion other than its bullshit to put the weight of domestic violence victims everywhere on one person. I have seen abusers fix themselves, but said it was uncommon, I'm speaking only speaking anecdotally.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kim Jong Il posted:

The average relationship with domestic violence being like that isn't proof that every relationship is like that. She has repeatedly said that this was a one time thing, and it's god damned patronizing to throw someone into a situation where they literally can never redeem themselves in the very small minority of cases that don't fit in the norm. Let's not forget that the reason that Rice was initially handled with kid gloves was because he had such a strong reputation before this. People, myself included, could not believe that he'd be capable of this - that there must be some kind of extenuating circumstances.

He's been a public figure for over a decade going back to his days as a big HS football star in suburban NYC. If this was a pattern then accusations would be coming out of the woodwork like they did with Bill Cosby.

It is very unlikely this is just a one time thing.

Very, very unlikely.

This seems to follow the typical abuse pattern to a tee. Though yeah trying to force her to get help isn't actually helpful. It is something she has to do for herself, sad as that may be.

Also I don't know what reputation he had that is applicable here, but I wouldn't factor it into this very much, it isn't relevant to what he does behind closed doors.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 30, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Ray Rice is a knight of Evil and he will thrive as long as noted sycophant Roger Goodell is in charge. A sad state of affairs in this league. Hopefully, the more just heads prevail and exile them both from even dreaming of a football. If only the Phantom Zone were real...

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Lorini posted:

loving lol, you piece of poo poo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ray Rice will probably grievously wound her or kill her, and we'll all sit back, throw our hands up, and say "welp."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Most human beings say they would have left him. Most human beings have never been in anything even remotely close to her situation.

There are almost always signs that men who abuse women give out before the actual abuse. And many women heed these signs and so don't get in a situation that ends up with abuse.

It's not her fault, I'm not saying that. Clearly he's the abuser. What I'm saying is that she has choices and she's chosen to stay with someone who abuses her. And I wish she wouldn't, just as I wish any woman who is being abused wouldn't stay.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Idiotic since professional murderer Donté Stallworth was allowed back into the NFL.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kim Jong Il posted:

The average relationship with domestic violence being like that isn't proof that every relationship is like that. She has repeatedly said that this was a one time thing, and it's god damned patronizing to throw someone into a situation where they literally can never redeem themselves in the very small minority of cases that don't fit in the norm.

Perhaps you missed the part where he closed fist punched his wife in the face, knocked her out against a wall, and dragged her unconscious body around.

People don't "just" do that sometimes. The very fact that it could happen at all is the problem itself.

Also, no, most human beings would not leave. Its the nature of abusive relationships, the abused partners sense of intimacy and loyalty to their partner means they often don't leave. Abusive relationships are very very complicated and it is absolutely not in our place to judge her for her decisions. But, this is not going to be a one-time thing. Abuse doesn't just happen. It will not get better.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Idiotic since professional murderer Donté Stallworth was allowed back into the NFL.

"professional murderer" pump your breaks, jesus. He hit a guy crossing a freeway on accident driving drunk, thats a huge loving gap from "professional murderer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

as a for-real professional murderer please do not slander me with comparisons to that half-hearted amateur manslaughterer donte stallworth

• Locked thread