Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't blame NBC. I blame Warner for selling the show to NBC in the first place. What did they think was going to happen? Hopefully a deal can be reached elsewhere. It would be nice if someone new picked it up, like Amazon or Yahoo. Alternatively, Time Warner loving owns HBO goddamnit so this is the one time that "it should have been an HBO series" makes perfect sense.

They probably thought it would pair well with Grimm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

They probably thought it would pair well with Grimm.

I mean, I can see the theory, but as Time Warner, you have to think to yourself, they want to take this potential franchise of ours and send it to Friday nights at 10. A show filled with special effects that will cost them money they probably don't have since they are basically the last place network. SOUNDS GREAT! Even Syfy might have been a better choice and NBC Universal owns that too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Got 15 minutes into the leaked pilot and shut it off. Never looked back.

You're not missing anything except a pretty good lead performance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah, I'm a huge Hellblazer fan, and I like the show....but I also accept that it's pretty much just seen as a Supernatural/Grimm ripoff. :(

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
They got rid of the lovely female lead and replaced her with an even shittier female lead. The show was doomed out the gate. But other than the new lovely psychic girl I liked the show, but don't care if it continues anywhere else.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge Hellblazer fan, and I like the show....but I also accept that it's pretty much just seen as a Supernatural/Grimm ripoff. :(

Maybe because that is what is basically is? And presumably, not even unintentional.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

Maybe because that is what is basically is? And presumably, not even unintentional.

Supernatural has admitted to homaging Hellblazer. In fact one of the main characters is dressed the same way as John.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Supernatural has admitted to homaging Hellblazer. In fact one of the main characters is dressed the same way as John.

Though a bunch of people think it's the other way around...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It doesn't matter who ripped off who first when Constantine is in fact closer in tone and pace to Supernatural than the actual comics. I don't think the show has much of its own identity at all.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, Constantine is a great argument for why fans should have a place running shows. Arrow went a Batman direction and worked, Constantine went a bland direction and nobody there seemed to get the character

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What are you talking about, Constantine is really good

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm liking Constantine but as others have mentioned it's almost entirely because of the lead's performance. Part of that is because the show just doesn't have much else to it so far. I mean we're 5 episodes in and I still don't know a drat thing about any of the characters other than the super basic one-sentence descriptions for them like "the dude who is apparently immortal" and "the girl with a ~mysterious dark past~ who is psychic." Constantine's the main character and there's not much to him besides "sent a little girl to hell on accident, is a dick." The demon-of-the-week stuff has been decent, but they could really use an episode that focuses more on the characters instead of just being a by-the-numbers procedural. Maybe it's because they changed the female lead so late, but I'm hoping they get around to it by the season finale.

e: I haven't read the comics so maybe that really is just all there is to those characters, but as a TV show it's asking people to care about and like these people that we know virtually nothing about.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If HBO picked up Constantine, I'd give it another shot.

Got 15 minutes into the leaked pilot and shut it off. Never looked back.

Aren't HBO spending a like a Sextillion dollars on Game of Thrones

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only thing I would be sad to see gone with Constantine would be the introduction of the more mystical heroes of DC. Flash has his rogues, Arrow has the more vigilante style heroes and villains popping up, and I would have loved to see characters like Zatanna, Etrigan and Ragman show up in Constantine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

The only thing I would be sad to see gone with Constantine would be the introduction of the more mystical heroes of DC. Flash has his rogues, Arrow has the more vigilante style heroes and villains popping up, and I would have loved to see characters like Zatanna, Etrigan and Ragman show up in Constantine.

Jim Corrigan just showed up in the most recent episode.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Jim Corrigan just showed up in the most recent episode.

I know. And they hinted towards the Spectre with his appearance. I would love more stuff like that. Have a mysterious guy named Jason Blood show up to help Constantine track down some demons. Maybe a Jewish guy who wants to capture an ex-Nazi living in New York and wants to have vengeance. That kind of thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Madkal posted:

I know. And they hinted towards the Spectre with his appearance. I would love more stuff like that. Have a mysterious guy named Jason Blood show up to help Constantine track down some demons. Maybe a Jewish guy who wants to capture an ex-Nazi living in New York and wants to have vengeance. That kind of thing.

The second one is reference to which character exactly?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ragman, I assume.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just wanted to see Swamp Thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

redbackground posted:

Ragman, I assume.

Yep, that's the guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's Flash started naming off people who died in the particle accelerator accident and they were all real names of heroes. Most notably Ralph Dibny.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone got a complete list? I didn't pay attention until I heard Dibny.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Not that that means much since Girder also "died" during it as well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone got a complete list? I didn't pay attention until I heard Dibny.

I might not have gotten all of them, but I definitely heard Bea DaCosta (Fire), Al Rothstein (Atom-Smasher), and Grant Emerson (Damage).

And obviously, Ronnie Raymond isn't actually dead, so there's no reason they'd have to be should the writers decide to use them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Thanks!

Storm guy was also "killed" in the accident.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Oh, also Will Everett (Amazing-Man).

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight's Flash started naming off people who died in the particle accelerator accident and they were all real names of heroes. Most notably Ralph Dibny.

If he doesn't come back and become a major character I am gonna take four shits and die

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Madkal posted:

They showed the Helmet of Fate in the first episode but I guess that just lampshaded the fact that Dr Fate won't actually appear in the series.

(If a chimp in a deerstalker hat turns up and grabs the helmet I'll retract everything bad I ever said about this show.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Guillermo Del Toro just submitted a Justice League Dark script to WB. I am more excited for that than I am for any of the other stuff they are doing.

I really do hope the show finds a second life somewhere else though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Guillermo Del Toro just submitted a Justice League Dark script to WB. I am more excited for that than I am for any of the other stuff they are doing.

I really do hope the show finds a second life somewhere else though.

I bet it's going to be made shortly after all the other Guillermo Del Toro projects that never happen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Justice League Dark"

Just one reason why I don't read comics anymore.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Justice League Dark"

Just one reason why I don't read comics anymore.

It's just the name for the magic character team (Constantine, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Deadman, etc.) They could have come up with a better name, but bad team names aren't exactly in short supply in comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

but bad team names aren't exactly in short supply in comics.

*coughcough* Great Lakes Avengers *coughcough*

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

With all the DCU elements already appearing or referenced in Flash, I wouldn't rule out seeing some of the magical characters on it in a season or two. Not quite the same thing, of course.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

And obviously, Ronnie Raymond isn't actually dead, so there's no reason they'd have to be should the writers decide to use them.

Not only will Raymond make an appearance, it looks like Jason Rusch has been casted too.
Looks like they will be leaving on poor Prof. Stein.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Madkal posted:

Looks like they will be leaving on poor Prof. Stein.

? Not sure if you meant "out" there, but Victor Garber has been cast as Stein. If you are referring to that article's speculation that Stein will be left out of the Firestorm matrix, this article mentions that Amell had to do an impression of him in one episode:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57336

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy A. Person posted:

? Not sure if you meant "out" there, but Victor Garber has been cast as Stein. If you are referring to that article's speculation that Stein will be left out of the Firestorm matrix, this article mentions that Amell had to do an impression of him in one episode:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57336

I hadn't seen that. I assumed they would be doing the Jason/Ronnie combo.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I feel like we should have heard something about the Preacher pilot by now. Like at least casting rumors or something, wasn't it announced before Daredevil?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I feel like we should have heard something about the Preacher pilot by now. Like at least casting rumors or something, wasn't it announced before Daredevil?

HBO runs a hella tight (as in no leaks) ship. Game of Thrones was announced and then we had almost no news for years, until they said "Hey, you'll see our new show next year. Preachers a little less complicated to shoot (I'd assume) than Game of Thrones, but probably not that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

HBO runs a hella tight (as in no leaks) ship. Game of Thrones was announced and then we had almost no news for years, until they said "Hey, you'll see our new show next year. Preachers a little less complicated to shoot (I'd assume) than Game of Thrones, but probably not that easy.

Preacher also isn't happening on HBO. It's AMC.