Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I feel like Geddoes character arc would be stronger if he rejected the notion of being a new Flame Champion and accepting a wholly different rune and just did this thing as Geddoe, himself, not the Flame Champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like that this rpg has a character who doesn't give two shits about being around for the major plot beats.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

The only thing stopping Geddoe from being the best JRPG protagonist of all time is the argument that he's not the canon main character. He and his entire squad are such a delight every time they're on screen. I like both Hugo and Chris quite a bit, but Geddoe is in a completely different league. And we're not even close to finished the game yet!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

AshtonDragon posted:

The only thing stopping Geddoe from being the best JRPG protagonist of all time is the argument that he's not the canon main character. He and his entire squad are such a delight every time they're on screen. I like both Hugo and Chris quite a bit, but Geddoe is in a completely different league. And we're not even close to finished the game yet!

Totally agree. Hell, I like Chris and Hugo and their associates as much as the next guy, but if the story had pushed them to the sidelines a little and instead been all about Geddoe and his squabbling band of misfits then Suikoden III would probably be my favourite game in the series. And that's with some annoying mechanical flaws and an oddly subdued soundtrack working against it, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I could never get into Suikoden III since the battle system really rubbed me the wrong way. Turns out I was missing the Suikoden with the absolute best characterization in the series. :eng99: Hugo, Chris, and Thomas are all nuanced and enjoyable, and Geddoe is in a tier all his own. There is not a single "main" character I've disliked yet. (...well, except for Apple, but that might be more because of lingering bias against her coming from Suik 2...)

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

I really love Aila. She's perfect.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 4.6 - The Alliance

Everyone is starting to lighten up in the wake of our awesome victory over the Harmonians, and I actually really enjoy all the dialogue changes around the castle.

Just imagine me putting a :unsmith: after basically all of these.

: "Each of your fighters has a special skill, Hugo. That's your strong point."

: "Why don't the three of us try to come up with a combo attack?"

Triangle attack!

They're scary looking, so I can see why you made that mistake, but yeah. They're pretty polite if you've earned their respect or aren't directly opposing them in battle.

Hehe.

Pictured: That one cool Zexen guy still being a cool Zexen guy.

Okay, let's do some plot.

We head up to the meeting room on the second floor, where representatives for all the armies in the not-quite-yet alliance are waiting.

The camera does a quick pan so that you can see everyone. We've got Mua from Kamaro, Hallec from wherever he's from, Thomas from Thomas' Castle, the Duck Chief from Duck Village, Lilly from Tinto, Dupa from the Lizard Clan, Lucia from Karaya, Chris (and Salome, who is standing to Chris' side) from Zexen, and Hugo, the Flame Champion.

In the Chris version, Salome would be seated, and Chris would be where Hugo is sitting. In the Geddoe version, he would be taking Hugo's place. Hugo is absent in both alternates. Nothing else notable about the scene changes, though.

: "Dupa."

I love when Ducks sit in chairs. It's never not silly looking.

Also, I want you all to admire that, once again, everyone has different sitting postures. I especially love Lilly's sitting pose, where she's leaning to the side and resting one of her arms on the chair.

: "Then you agree to the cease-fire and to combine forces until this situation is settled?"

: "Same with the Lizard Clan. We must do everything in our power to survive."

: "We too will join to repay for the past debts of gratitude we owe."

Everyone looks towards Lilly.

I like how she straightens herself up while she's replying.

: "Hugo, we pledge to follow you as the leader of the Fire Bringer."

They pause for a beat.

: "Well said."

: "The Brass Castle may serve to protect Zexen, but it's too far from the Grasslands."

: "I doubt that the Great Hollow will work. It's not well-suited for humans, you see."

: "How about Duck Clan Village? Although... half of the village is on boats."

Didn't stop anyone in Sui4 or Sui5.

HMM.

: "It may be a little dilapidated, but it's big enough, and we are located between Grasslands and Zexen."

:stare:

Thomas takes a step back, intimidated.

: "Tell us more."

He steps forward once more, and the scene fades as he gives them the audio tour of the castle grounds.

: "I hope you don't mind, Master Thomas."

: "No, not at all, sir. The people at the castle will be glad to help!"

This is the game not-so-subtly telling you that you can pick basically anyone for this. It's short enough of a section that it's not worth putting to vote, though. You'll see.

I forgot to take a screen when I first made the party, so ignore that it's in front of the mess hall, but here we are! Our three protagonists take the stage, with Chris unknowingly standing beside her father and Geddoe and Hugo both standing next to a bird-brain, plus Hortez for the ultimate awkwardness.

: "Of course not."

Normally, this would be videogame-speak for "go goof off now," but we're actually going to wait until after we've gone to the castle.

Jimba had a lot of skill points lying around, so I buffed him up a bit. He's lagging behind the rest of the party since he hasn't really been available for things.

I also throw some skill points at the magic trainer for Geddoe. The rest of his SP are just gonna sit there for a while.

Once we exit the area, the map promptly expands to basically everywhere we've been as every character, from Vinay to Thomas' Castle to Caleria.

There's also this new area, the Tablet of Stars, which veterans of the series will recognize.

As far as areas go, there's not much to this one. However, as a guide and game mechanic, it covers something pretty important.

The Tablet of Stars lists every single star in the game, and whether or not you've gotten them. Names in read signify that a star has died. In this case, Yun died because of plot.

I believe this is the signifying point that your stars can start dying, though. You have to try really hard to get anyone killed, but it can happen.

Naturally, getting anyone killed aside from Yun locks you out of the bonus ending, as is the case if you don't get all the stars.

Some stars have the same title, which is because they'd be written with different kanji in Japanese. Short of translating all the titles literally, the difference doesn't really carry over to English.

Budehuc/Thomas' Castle has been renamed "Homeland." So, let's head home.

: "Of course, Thomas has a long history too. It was originally built in--"

An unfortunate side-effect of what we named our castle.

: "And this ship in the back -- what is it?"

: "Oh, ah, this is..."

: "Let me give you your rooms and make the arrangements."

: "Please, feel free. By the way, Eike should know where things are around the castle. He's likable, once you get to know him."

: "?"

: "I suggest we settle in and get things under control here. We may be a united force now, but it wouldn't be smart to face the Harmonian army right away."

: "Exactly. We should be organized as well as united."

Heh.

: "My room?"

: "Yes, this way, please. The room is ready."

: "Thanks."

Thomas leads Hugo into was was, until recently, his room.

: "Oh, thanks."

: "Take a look around, if you like. A lot has changed over the years."

Years??? I don't think it's been years since Hugo was here.

: "Thanks."

Thomas bows and leaves, and we're free to explore the castle.

Nash hangs out just outside of the room, and brings up something we'll see momentarily.

But you know what the best part of that is?

Character-based dialogue. It doesn't happen with everyone, but some people will change what they say based on who you're talking to.

Another example is that none of the Karayans aside from Hugo and Lucia will talk to Chris, though they speak to Geddoe as if he's a trusted military commander.

It's a lot of effort put in for something most people won't see or notice ever.

On the flip-side, the Lizards are really respectful towards her.

I think my favorite piece of random dialogue in this manner is this one, though. Ayame will completely ignore everyone but Geddoe, who she complains to. Watari doesn't talk to any of the three of them, though.

Anyway, as Nash mentioned, there's a new thing over by the newspaper behind Lilly.

A comment box!

People will leave various notes for you to read over the course of the game, some of which are character specific.

Let's take a look at a few, shall we? Here are the ones I got as Hugo.

Shiba posted:

Special Training
Want to be strong? The come get special training with us."

Muto posted:

Comment Box
I'm not good at writing, but I'll try hard for the castle.

Arthur posted:

Did you see it?
I posted the news bulletin! We'll renew it regularly, so remember to read it!

A couple I got a little later.

Wan Fu posted:

Greetings
How are you Hugo? I'm in great condition.

Billy posted:

Let me know
Give me some information about treasure! Lately, I only earn by gambling.

The ones I got as Chris.

Leo posted:

I'm no good
You'll find my writing difficult to read. Sorry.

Guess he has bad handwriting.

Mio posted:

Hello
It's a nice homeland. Chris, the patients would love it if you'd come to the clinic.

Sanae Y posted:

Nice to meet you
For my country, and to cultivate myself, I will fight with you. Nice to meet you.

And the ones I got as Geddoe.

Elliot posted:

Hello
Hello, Geddoe. How are you? I'm fine. I'll write again.

:ducksiren:

Queen posted:

Hi
Hi. You're doing something that doesn't suit you. Being a leader of so many people...
:ducksiren:

This one, obviously, is unique to the Geddoe version. She actually has a lot of nice notes for him that she'll send. If we don't get to see them all, I'll be sure to post them at the end of the LP.

Gadget Z posted:

Warning
Don't fall in love with me.

Thomas posted:

Hello
Oh, a comment box. Interesting idea. Let's continue using it.

And, the newspaper.

Fire Bringers at the Castle! posted:

The Zexen Knights and the Six Clans of Grassland have united to counter the invasion of Grassland by the Army of Harmonia. Fire Bringers gathered at this castle, having chosen it as their stronghold. Castle residents were excited by the sudden notice. Brass Castle and the Great Hollow were also considered as stronghold locations, but lack the geographical advantage of the Castle, which lies directly between Zexen and Grassland. This came as great news for people who engage in trade here. Merchants are excited, as they can expect profits from new traders and military personnel.

Also, we apparently missed the rest of Erk's Adventures, so here's the rest of the story:

Newspaper posted:

Erk's Adventures (15) posted:

Erk attacked Baker. Baker was tired after attacking Marine, and ran away in a mad rush.
'Waaaiiiit!' Erk wanted to avenge Marine's death, and chased baker, who was running away toward the back of the ruins. Only Marine's dead body was left behind. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (16) posted:

Erk ran after Baker and they came to a room full of treasure. 'Hey, Baker! If you don't come out, all the treasure in this room will be mine!'
Baker replied, 'I won't let you do that!' and appeared.
'Let's fight to the finish,' said Erk. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (17) posted:

'I've rested a bit, so I'll give you another steel chop!' said Baken. Then he threw his arms up in the air. Erk was brave, so he said, 'I won't lose!!' and attacked Baker.
'You nut!' Baker said, and attacked Erk with his steel arm. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (18) posted:

Baker attacked Erk with the steel arm. 'Bang!' The arm hit Erk's head. 'Ouch!' said Erk. 'You bastard!'
Erk angrily held Baker's body and threw him at the wall. 'Waoooo!' Baker screamed, and died. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (19) posted:

After a fierce fight, Baker died.
Good grief,' said Erk, and was surprised by the treasure in the room. 'These are the legendary treasures that make people come back to life! Great! With these treasures, Marine could live!' Erk was so happy that he ran out of the room. To be continued...

Erk's Adventures (last story) posted:

When the treasure was placed near Marie's body, she came to life.
'I'm alive,' said Marine.
Erk said, 'I'm glad you are alive, Marine.'
'Oh you're being cute, Erk,' Marine said. The ruins then collapsed, and the two ran away. (The End)

Erk's Adventures posted:

Thank you very much for reading 'Erk's Adventures.'
This season's cleaners
Mamie
Gadget Z
Goro

With everyone all moved into the castle, let's see where some of them are hanging out. I'll do a complete coverage once we've gotten all the stars, but here are the highlights.

Geddoe and Queen have taken up residence in one of the rooms on the ship, as have Chris and Louis, and Hugo and Joe if you're not playing as Hugo.

Naturally, Geddoe's room is covered in booze.

: "What's wrong?"

: "I'm bored out of my mind. No use going to the tavern. It'll just be the same old bunch of guys..."

If you talk to them as Chris,

: "The Defense Force is at your disposal."

: "I'm bored out of my mind! And the tavern's just full of the same sleazy guys..."

Chris' room is a lot more orderly, and she seems to have made herself nice and cozy.

: "Ah... hello."

: "Yes?"

If you're Geddoe,

: "Ah! Uh... h-hello."

: "The Zexen Knights will do everything we can!

: "I know what it's like to be a mercenary."

Hugo's room, if you're not Hugo.

If you're Chris, they say:

: "Hello."

: "These Karayans are human beings, too. Some of them maybe rude, but I hope you'll forgive them."

Thomas has also moved onto the ship.

This poor boy. We should take him with us at some point, just to get him away from Estella.

Landis, you are so weird.

The tactical council all hang out in the meeting room, and have this to say.

: "My Clan reports that some guys who work with the Masked Bishop are hanging around on the highway. That's the only news."

: "The central pedestal on the second floor is the Comment Box. It's full of people's views, so be sure to take a look."

: "Everything is fine in the castle right now."

: "I've been gathering information. Something odd is going on at the Cyndar gate to the Lizard Clan's highway. That's where I'd look..."

: "The Cyndar gate to the highway is sealed by several kinds of magic. I don't think it's possible to break the seals..."

In case that wasn't enough of a nudge for you, some other characters and NPCs also have some related dialogue.

Roland is actually being helpful instead of being a poo poo? Cool.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. Jimba went to the Great Hollow, which is connected to the highway where some weird stuff is going down, so we should go there.

Hey, who's that guy talking to Cecile?

: "Who are you calling dim! What gives you the right to call people whatever you like! Juan, put him in his place!"

: "Pipe down. Let him do as he likes."

: "Ah, listen to this! This young man makes sense. From this day on, he will be..."

: "Name calling will get you nowhere fast! How'd you like it if someone called you 'Loudmouth Loser'?"

I think you're supposed to trigger this scene upon entering the castle, as opposed to when I did, thus explaining why Hugo decided to go around them to say hi.

: "Someone, hold me back! I'm ready to rip this guy a new mouth hole! I despise your strange names!"

: "Strange? What do you mean?!"

: "They're perfect titles."

:raise:

: "That's insulting!"

And who the gently caress are you, while you're at it.

: "I heard may people have come here recently, so I came here too. When a group of people reach a certain number, they need individual titles that acknowledge their abilities. No doubt about it."

No, I doubt that.

: "Titles?"

: "Ahem. Titles build order and discipline, guaranteeing peace and prosperity. People take pride in their titles. 'Tin-Head Halter' and 'Goldbrick Gang Boss,' you agree, don't you?!"

: "Not for a second!"

: "What are you whispering about, 'Goldbrick Gang Boss'!"

: "Stop calling me that!!!"

: "............"

: "If you ever want to enhance your career and prestige, come see me. I'll give you an unforgettable title that'll set you apart from the rest! Now then..."

Yeah, whatever, get in my castle.

I think Jefferson shows up at the castle when you have a certain number of people, and also provided that you don't have Juan or Cecile in your party. He can change peoples' class and change their stats, or something. I've never actually done it before, but I'll show it off a little later.

There's another fun thing we can do before we head off, though.

:haw:

We can play as Koroku!

There's some speculation that his spot on the character select originally belonged to a certain someone else but the idea was scrapped and hastily replaced with this, but we may never know for sure.

I'll be showing it off in it's entirety after we get the rest of the stars, since they all have unique dialogue for Koroku, as well as the NPCs.

So let's just go back to being Hugo for the moment.

I throw a bunch of random people into my party...

And blow off the story. There's another batch of character recruits we can do before the next bit of plot happens, so let's get that underway. We'll start by bringing Joe to Duck Village.

We've got a couple of birds to pick up.

: "Hey, Sergeant. Welcome back!"

: "Sergeant, how goes the battle?"

: "You're right in the thick of it again, eh? Ho ho! Superb!"

: "What is it, Sergeant?"

: "Um, you aren't angry, are you?"

: "So you are angry... What's the matter?"

The two ducks look at each other, at a loss.

He yells so loud that the camera shakes.

: "Tell me why you're here. Come on, speak!"

: "We're here for, um..."

: "Our job is to guard the village, so that's what we're doing."

: "You're needed elsewhere now. Go to Thomas Castle and fight with the others there."

: "But you see, um... We're not exactly... We're..."

: "Quaaaaaack!"

The two of them bolt for the castle.

: "Pathetic! They'll learn. Fast."

They join the stars for real this time.

We also pick up the silver hammer while we're in town. That'll make Peggi even better at what he does.

Next, we have business here. Oh boy, do we have business here.

Once you've walked a little bit into the route...

: "Huh?"

There's a crash just off-screen.

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

: "Whoah, where is this place? Hmmm.... Grassland? Never heard of it! This isn't good."

Poor Viki misses every big meal.

: "Where exactly are you from?"

: "A place called the City-State of Jowston. That's the place! I remember wanting to get somewhere, but... Oh brother... Now what should I do? This isn't good at all."

If you couldn't tell that some weird things were going on with this girl yet, allow me to shed light on the situation.

Viki is a recurring character in the series. Much like Jeane, she is in every Suikoden game, excepting Tactics but including Suikogaiden.

:
>"............"
>"Why not come to our castle?"

: "Really? Thank you so much. But where is it? That's a little far, but it should be okay. What's your name? Hugo? Got it. I'm Viki, a teleportress. Thanks for your kindness."

:getin:

: "I'll go on ahead to your home. Or shall we teleport there together?"

:
>"Let's try going together."
>"You go on ahead."

This choice doesn't really matter, but I feel a great need to put her in my party immediately so we might as well warp so I don't have to run to a town.

Poof!

Viki takes up residence right by the elevator on the first floor. You can talk to her to warp anywhere, which means no more running through the Zexen Forest! She can't teleport you back, though.

Regardless, we nab her for our party.

You can still teleport when she's in your party -- just walk up to the mirror (which was just off-screen above) instead.

Anyway, we're heading back to the Mountain Path again for something.

: "Go!"

While walking...

Holy poo poo.

: "Uh---"

: "............ Where is this?"

: "............! You're none other than... Hugo of the Karaya!"

: "Yes, I am. So what?"

: "What's this?"

: "Are you....?"

: "I don't really want to do this. You'd better stand back!"

: "Stand back?"

He takes a couple steps back.

: "Yeouch! That smarts! Hey, where am I?"

: "The mountains between Grassland and Harmonia. The year is 475 by the solar calendar."

: "Viki. I'm Viki..."

: "Oh really? My name's the same as yours? What a coincidence. Uh... Have we met before?"

: "..........."

: "What?! Food!?"

: "Nah... Never mind."

:
>"I don't know what's going on. But you don't have anywhere else to go. You might as well try Thomas Castle."
>"Bye for now."

Two Viki's is better than one.

: "Thomas Castle... I suppose I don't have a choice."

: "The location is..."

: "Oh, there. I know it. I'll go on ahead."

She starts walking off.

But turns and comes back.

: "I'd better give this back to you."

I'm with you, man.

: "Bye."

She walks off for real this time.

: "Hehe, what a cute girl."

Yeah, double Viki. I don't even know. They even count as separate stars.

It's worth noting that Little Viki is also in Suikogaiden.

Now that we've got the Blinking Mirror, we can teleport back to the castle from anywhere on the map. Having both Viki's makes life infinitely easier. It's a shame you don't get her until this late, but with the split party system, I can see why.

Next, we can finally nab this guy in Caleria.

: "At least help me locate some actors to be in my play. Let me know if you run across any. You must!"

Oooooor maybe not.

So, he needs 3 males, 2 females, and 1 child for us to be able to convince him to join. The only problem is, sometimes it's a little hard to tell who goes in what category. Is Hugo a "man" or a child?" There are even some characters that don't go in any of the categories for some reason, the most notable one I can think of off the top of my head being Augustine. So if you have Augustine with you, then congratulations, you can't get Nadir.

Apparently Hugo falls into the "child" category.

: "Ho, ho! You are hereby recognized as fellow Thespians!"

: "Gee, thanks."

: "Might you know of a place where there are actors and I can open a good-sized theater?"

:
>"What about Thomas? That's plenty big enough to suit you."
>Don't inform

: "I have heard of that place. A spot for one and all, they say. Heh heh heh. It might just be perfect for our stagework."

: "Ho ho ho. Pardon me. I must depart for Thomas right away. I can see it coming together now. Yes!"

He promptly walks off.

Cool.

We'll deal with him later, but suffice it to say: he is awesome and the theater is awesome. I'll probably be holding off until we've got all the stars before messing with it, though.

Anyway, we've got one more thing to do in the area.

There is a handsome gentleman hanging out on the path, looking a little troubled. Why don't we say hi?

"Futch."

:stare:

Futch is yet another recurring character from the series! He is in 1, 2, and even Gaiden. That large sword on his back is also a recurring character. Er, it belongs to a recurring character, this guy Humphrey from the first two games (and Gaiden).

:
>"Sure. I know this like my own backyard."
>"Not really."

Anyway, if Futch is here...

: "Thanks. Can you take me to the nearest town?"

: "To town? It's a bit far from here...."

Then what happened to his...

: "I won't keep you long."

Dragon...

:swoon:

: "Shall we get going then?"

You don't get to see Bright's portrait very often, so here it is.

Futch casually climbs onto Bright's back, but the game cuts out when he shoves everyone else onto Bright's back out, unfortunately. I'd have loved to see it.

We touch back down in Caleria.

: "You're air sick. Not used to flying, I guess."

Poor Hugo.

: "She always takes off without telling anyone; it's maddening. Her name's Sharon. Let me know if you spot her. She's 15 and is dressed like me."

Futch has become quite the responsible gentlemen over the years, huh.

Upon entering the town proper, we trigger a scene.

She's kind of dressed like Futch, I guess. She's definitely suspicious looking, at least!

Let's follow her.

Futch won't do anything about it if we talk to him, so we've gotta go track her down ourselves.

: "Wait! Could that be...?"

I can't tell if it's weird or cute that she pierced her "ears" on her headband.

Oh no, she's getting away!

: "Why did I even bother?"

She turns around quickly and is surprised to find that Hugo is behind her. I guess she was complaining to herself so loudly that she didn't hear him approach.

: "What are you doing, standing there? You're in my way!"

: "You must be Sharon."

She scowls and takes a couple steps back instead of answering, so Hugo assumes he made a mistake.

: "Oops! Wrong girl..."

Wow, she's fast!

Let's try again!

: "Hello."

: "What?!"

She tries to run again.

But Futch cuts her off at the pass.

: "Stop it right there, young lady! Never leave without telling Commander Milia! What if you were to get lost? Why must you always put me in these positions? You'll get me expelled from the knights again!"

It's important to note that him getting expelled from the knights (in Sui1) was utter bullshit -- he was expelled because his dragon at the time, Black, died, not because he did anything wrong. In fact, Black's death actually ended up saving all the other dragons. He was kind of a brat, though.

Also, Milia was a star in Suikoden 1, and is Sharon's mom.

: "Never mind that, Futch! I am being followed by some weirdo! An enemy! Do something!"

: "An enemy?"

: "Who are you talking about?"

: "Why? I haven't done anything wrong. I was just being followed by this weirdo. I am not lying."

: "What?"

: "Sorry about this. You know how it is with kids her age. They can be a handful!"

He's speaking from personal experience of having been a kid that age and also being a handful.

: "Hmmph!"

Oh, how convenient!

: "The Fire Bringer?"

: "Maybe you've heard the same rumor. They say the Fire Bringer are fighting against the Harmonian army. I came to find out, and possibly lend a hand. I was briefly involved with Harmonia once. Well, anyway, I was looking for the leader of the Fire Bringer..."

: "Well then..."

: "What? You are Hugo? This is too good to be true."

: "He could be lying. How would you know?"

: "Call it a 'knowing' -- I get it sometimes. I sense vibrations, too. Of course, the appearance is totally different from what I expected."

He's been around enough youthlads with True Runes to know when one is standing in front of him.

Also, Hugo is still not wearing gloves.

: "What do you mean?"

: "It doesn't matter. I'll go to the Thomas Castle and fight with them!"

: "Well... No point in returning by myself, so I'll come along and help too."

: "Well... Yeah. Thanks."

Hooray!

A DRAGON! YES!

Next, we head to Chisha.

To finally pick this guy up. We're having a recurring-character reunion! Make sure Mio is in your party for this.

: "I really want to thank you, Dr. Tuta."

: "It's nothing I'm glad the medicine is working. It warms my heart to see you getting better."

: "You took so long. I came looking for you. I couldn't help but worry, with all the fighting going on."

: "Oh dear! The last thing I'd want to cause is worry. I apologize."

: "Um... I guess it's just a coincidence I'm here."

: "Oh. I see..."

: "Uh, well... I've heard quite a bit about you from your nurse."

Cue an off-screen explanation.

: "Connection?"

: "It was no problem at all. Let me help you. I'd like to expedite a ceasefire and get back to my studies. Agreed?"

: "Thank you."

: "No, really -- the pleasure's mine."

: "Now I'll be able to work with you again, Dr. Tuta."

: "Uh, yes... That's right."

: "Dr. Tuta, you have to believe me when I say I was concerned for your welfare."

Tuta's cheeks flush pink.

: "Uh, thank you."

: "You're welcome."

Kinda lovely translation on that scene, but yay! Tuta!

And that's a wrap. No alternates this time, and I've got a vote for you all!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Voting time!

Pick any four available combat characters from the (now up-to-date!) character list, one available support character, as well as either Viki or Little Viki. This will be our party for an upcoming boss battle, and the lucky Viki you choose will get our only Pale Gate Rune. There are a couple others that can use the Pale Gate Rune also, but I checked and none of them have the skill for it yet and I'm not sure when they get it (it's one of those ones that just pops up in your skill set, not one you can learn).

I will also accept Koichi, Connie, Kosanji, and Kogoro as combat unit votes, since I'll be getting them at the beginning of the next update. To you who haven't played before, they're non-star units, and they are all dogs like Koroku.

On another note! I forgot about this when it actually came up in an update, but--

Bruceski posted:

I can't quite figure out why, but something in that guy's face makes me say that if he doesn't turn out to be related to Geddoe I will flip a table.

I've got the table right here and everything.

EDIT: or maybe Jacques, now that I think of it. Not amending things though.

Albert is related to Caesar, not Geddoe. Someone owes us a table flip. :haw:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Little Viki

Sanae Y
Sharon
Emily
Rody

I honestly don't care about which support character comes with but team second generation and Rody to the rescue.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Chris
Geddoe
Bright
Futch

Edit: Vote changed to Big Viki

Yokaiy's choice for Support

Chris and Geddoe because I'm boring like that, Futch and Bright because I'm really hoping that Futch will ride that dragon the way Hugo rides Fubar. :3:

Alacron fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 1, 2014

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Oh no the True Fire Rune melted Hugo's legs :gonk:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
New character rundown! I talked about Rhett and Wilder waaaaaay back in Chris 3, but suffice to say they're useful but never really top 6. I love their recruit sequence though.

Viki- To nobody's surprise, a high end mage. She's got a Blinking Rune locked on her, effectively meaning she's only got two rune slots because Blinking Runes are basically useless. She's otherwise got well rounded but unremarkable scores in basically everything. However! While she doesn't have the best Pale Gate score (I believe Joker has that distinction... okay ACTUALLY two other characters beat him but one has another rune locked on their Head slot (seriously) and one is a dog), she does have an important distinction over all other candidates for our Pale Gate Rune: she's a fighter in army battles. This is significant because Open Gate is basically instant victory in any army battle so long as Viki elects to cast it, which generally speaking she will because the AI is smart enough to know it's an instant win condition too. She's not really very good in regular combat, but spamming wide AoE instant death in army battles is definitely a nice niche to occupy.

Little Viki- Statistically identical, or near enough as to not matter, to big Viki. Stats, skills, rune slots, locked blinking rune, totally identical. Exceeeeept Little Viki does not take part in army battles as a combatant. Basically, bench, use Viki instead. PS consider that a vote for Big Viki in our boss party.

Futch- He's basically trying to be a Suikoden II style fighter-mage. Okay MP, okay equip options, decent weapon, decent stats, decent affinity with Lightning. The trouble is he's only got four skill slots, so while his stats say he wants a mixed build, the skill slots means he quite simply can't do all the stuff at once he should. Ultimately pretty mediocre as a result. Hooooowever...

Bright- Remember Fubar? Same thing, slightly shuffled stats. Bright's tankier mostly. Unsurprisingly, he's another mount, meaning that putting him and Futch in the same pair means they become a combined unit. While at this point in the game you can get better tanks or more damage from separate units with good planning, if you ever find yourself needing to fill out multiple parties you can do a lot worse than sticking Futch/Bright in there and loving dragon breathing at foes.

Sharon- Weirdly competent. She's sorta like a remix on Cecile. Less raw defense, but chainmail plus shields gives her decent durability, shields and her repel score add up to good evade, spears and good speed give her solid damage, and she's got the MP to do pocket spellcasting if you want that (she starts with a Wind Rune for reference, and it's not a bad option at all for her).

Aside from the aforementioned vote for Big Viki, let the thread decide the party's fate!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Throwback Party:

Futch
Bright
Viki
Lilly
Zodiac Sword (with accompanying human)

Tuta

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Double Viki what does it mean!?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Another note on Milia, Sharon's mom: some time between Suikoden 1 and 3, Joshua Levenheit retired from being commander of the Dragon Knights and gave it to Milia. Being Commander of the Dragon Knights also means you get the Dragon Rune, one of the True Runes. They never really explained why he decided to retire after what I'm pretty sure was like 100 years of being in charge but... eh.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

CmdrKing posted:

Bright- Remember Fubar? Same thing, slightly shuffled stats. Bright's tankier mostly. Unsurprisingly, he's another mount, meaning that putting him and Futch in the same pair means they become a combined unit. While at this point in the game you can get better tanks or more damage from separate units with good planning, if you ever find yourself needing to fill out multiple parties you can do a lot worse than sticking Futch/Bright in there and loving dragon breathing at foes.

:neckbeard:

Also, if using Little Viki means putting her on the bench for war battles then I might as well change my vote to Big Viki so I can see what all the fuss is about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

yokaiy posted:

Albert is related to Caesar, not Geddoe. Someone owes us a table flip. :haw:

Yeah yeah. I've been meaning to do it since the reveal, but I always remember in the middle of the night when it would be unfair to the folks living below me. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

Also:
Viki

Bright
Bright
Bright
Motherfucking Dragon

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 1, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Viki
Little Viki
Bright the Goddamn Dragon
That guy that rides a loving dragon
Koroku

Tuta

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is amazing.

So do they have any interaction?
Or am I wrong in that Suikogaiden happened after 3?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is amazing.

So do they have any interaction?
Or am I wrong in that Suikogaiden happened after 3?

SG 2 happened between 2 & 3, the original during Suikoden 2.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Little Viki

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I'm going to say Big Viki if only so that we might see the problem with her, that everyone has neglected to mention so far. I mean, besides from the Blinking rune. As for the rest of the party...

Nei
Fred
Lilly
Bright

Jefferson

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cokerpilot posted:

Double Viki what does it mean!?

A combination attack I really hope our host shows off.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Alacron posted:

Chris
Geddoe
Bright
Futch

Edit: Vote changed to Big Viki

Yokaiy's choice for Support

Chris and Geddoe because I'm boring like that, Futch and Bright because I'm really hoping that Futch will ride that dragon the way Hugo rides Fubar. :3:

Chris and Geddoe are actually out for this battle... and the rest of the chapter. Alas. I dunno why the game gives us a glorious 5 minutes with anyone we ever wanted in a party and then takes it away from us once we reach the castle, but it makes me sad. I guess they're busy helping out our tactical council, or something, since they are also out for the rest of the chapter.

Admittedly, there's not much left in this chapter, but still.

Adnor posted:

Oh no the True Fire Rune melted Hugo's legs :gonk:

It's just an incline, you goof. :haw:

Defiance Industries posted:

Another note on Milia, Sharon's mom: some time between Suikoden 1 and 3, Joshua Levenheit retired from being commander of the Dragon Knights and gave it to Milia. Being Commander of the Dragon Knights also means you get the Dragon Rune, one of the True Runes. They never really explained why he decided to retire after what I'm pretty sure was like 100 years of being in charge but... eh.

Actually, while we're talking about Dragon Knights, there's something that just came up in 3 that kind of bothers me. In Sui1, after Black dies and stuff, Futch is expelled from the knights for not having a dragon, which I guess kind of makes sense since you can't be a dragon rider without a dragon, but was still pretty lovely. However, Sharon doesn't have a dragon. Is she just in the knights because she's Milia's daughter, or is there some kind of test to get a dragon that Futch just did absurdly early which makes you an official knight or something?

Bruceski posted:

Yeah yeah. I've been meaning to do it since the reveal, but I always remember in the middle of the night when it would be unfair to the folks living below me. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

:syoon: This is going to be the highlight of my thread.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

yokaiy posted:

Actually, while we're talking about Dragon Knights, there's something that just came up in 3 that kind of bothers me. In Sui1, after Black dies and stuff, Futch is expelled from the knights for not having a dragon, which I guess kind of makes sense since you can't be a dragon rider without a dragon, but was still pretty lovely. However, Sharon doesn't have a dragon. Is she just in the knights because she's Milia's daughter, or is there some kind of test to get a dragon that Futch just did absurdly early which makes you an official knight or something?

I forget if any of the side material answers that or not. My gut wants to say that Futch inherited Black and thus got into the proper knighthood early without the chance to be a squire, thus leading to him being an egotistical little poo poo in Sui1 when you first meet him. Then Black does the thing and Futch has to suddenly grow up incredibly fast, leading to him getting Bright midway through Sui2. That sort of explanation would lead to Sharon essentially being a squire herself, right now, one would figure.

It's worth noting that since Suikogaiden took place between 2 and 3, Bright is there, too. It's also worth noting that both Futch and Bright got loving swole in the time between Gaiden 2 and Sui3. That said,

Kid Bright is adorable. :kimchi:

Oh, and as for votes:

Fubar
Futch
Bright
Both Vikis, if possible, and give bigger Viki the Pale Gate.

EDIT: If you can't bring both Vikis, bring Gadget Z. Hopefully you know why. :black101:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 1, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My votes go to -

Big Viki

Fubar
Bright
Futch
Lilly

Louis

Mainly I want max mounted pairs, Lilly is great, and Louis for Zexen representation. Also big Viki because kid Viki isn't scatterbrained enough to be a True Viki.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Koroku
Futch
Bright
Empty Slot
(room for the best upcoming character in the game)

Big Viki

Jefferson

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I don't have too strong an opinion for most of the votes, but I vote that Emily gets a combat slot. I don't think we've seen her in action yet, and she's quite impressive. :getin:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

dude789 posted:

I don't have too strong an opinion for most of the votes, but I vote that Emily gets a combat slot. I don't think we've seen her in action yet, and she's quite impressive. :getin:

When buffed by Nei and up-to-level in skills, she can take off about 80% or so of HP of upcoming boss in one turn. Of course, that requires her to have skill points from actual use, which is a problem with S3's system ---- can't try out characters without grinding...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

yokaiy posted:

:syoon: This is going to be the highlight of my thread.

Either my expectations of thread quality are too high, or yours of table-flipping.
Before:

After:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Bruceski posted:

Before:

After:

:allears:

It's beautiful.

Also, I put it in the OP. I'd offer you an avatar doodle, but the one you've got is super rad as-is. If you want one, I will definitely draw you a thing, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

yokaiy posted:

:allears:

It's beautiful.

Also, I put it in the OP. I'd offer you an avatar doodle, but the one you've got is super rad as-is. If you want one, I will definitely draw you a thing, though.

I'm good, thanks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Votes:

Big Viki (I was wondering when she'd show up.)

(Combat)
Nash
Roland
Bright
Rody

(Support)
Tuta

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Big Viki

Emily
Juan
Geddoe
Nei

Goro

Hey, someone has to be the humorless min-maxer.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hugo
Lilly
Sgt. Joe
Queen

Support: Jeane

Big Viki

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Mehuyael posted:

My votes go to -

Big Viki

Fubar
Bright
Futch
Geddoe

Louis

Slightly modified.

Bruceski posted:

Either my expectations of thread quality are too high, or yours of table-flipping.
Before:

After:

That's a leaf, right? You didn't just break a table, did you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PFlats posted:

Slightly modified.

That's a leaf, right? You didn't just break a table, did you?

That part of the table didn't break. A leg did fall off, but the screws were already pulling out of the particle board a bit so I was planning to fix that anyway.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

yokaiy posted:

Chris and Geddoe are actually out for this battle... and the rest of the chapter. Alas. I dunno why the game gives us a glorious 5 minutes with anyone we ever wanted in a party and then takes it away from us once we reach the castle, but it makes me sad. I guess they're busy helping out our tactical council, or something, since they are also out for the rest of the chapter.

Admittedly, there's not much left in this chapter, but still.

Welp :T

Makes sense from a story perspective, though it does suck to lose out on the true lightning rune.

You know, the three protagonists thing worked really well in this game I think, having a bunch of totally separate parties allowed for more characters in the game's packed cast to have a moment to shine. I hope there's more "Split the party" moments down the line so that element doesn't completely fall by the wayside.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Before:

After:

Good, good. Now, flip the little table with the bum leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

Koroku
Futch
Bright
Empty Slot
(room for the best upcoming character in the game)

Big Viki

Jefferson

Uh, you sound like you know what you're talking about so I'll go with this one.

• Locked thread