Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bless your heart. You really do the lord's work.

I'm not sure which is better, that he has such wonderful ideas or that he has the talent to execute them. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

I can't believe they are only getting paid $1,250 for the main event of a house show. Make me wonder what the people at the bottom of the card are being paid.

Didn't someone talk recently about someone basically making $500 for working 3 matches on a Monday night taping?

I can't remember exact numbers but this did come up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Hopefully we booed all of that out of him during his last run. I'm so happy he's succeeding at acting because he seerms to enjoy it, I like to watch him do it, and it means I'll never have to see him wrestle again, hopefully.

Edit: n/m

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Didn't someone talk recently about someone basically making $500 for working 3 matches on a Monday night taping?

I can't remember exact numbers but this did come up.

I don't remember the numbers but it was the Del Rio RF shoot.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

ESPN Business Reporter posted:

WWE says it broke sales records on its online shop over Thanksgiving weekend. Best seller? Dean Ambrose's "Unstable" hoodie sweatshirt.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/540547778855043072

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Time to rebrand it as the Cena Unstable hoodie.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

After having seen Dean work CZW TOD's, seeing this puts a smile on my face.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Heel turn incoming !

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Time to rebrand it as the Triple H Unstable hoodie.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm shocked (not shocked) at how Punk was courted independently by outside companies for sponsorships and when he gave WWE the heads up, they went behind his back and secured the sponsorships for other wrestlers.

That is hosed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm shocked (not shocked) at how Punk was courted independently by outside companies for sponsorships and when he gave WWE the heads up, they went behind his back and secured the sponsorships for other wrestlers.

That is hosed.

This company's ability to absolutely kill the momentum they had at Summerslam last year with boneheaded PR moves (and poor booking) is incredible to me.

Keep loving up, WWE. See what happens.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This company's ability to absolutely kill the momentum they had at Summerslam last year with boneheaded PR moves (and poor booking) is incredible to me.

Keep loving up, WWE. See what happens.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I can't remember, what happened in May?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shine posted:

The "quiet genius weird guy Rowan" thing would work better if they didn't hit the audience over the head with it by having the interviewer talk about his IQ and say he's trained in classic guitar and a famous winemaker or whatever. I'm pretty sure people in this thread were already asking stuff like "is he some kind of brainwashed super genius, or something?" before that interview, so they were doing a good job of subtly hinting at that without dropping a bunch of blatant expository dialogue.

You're forgetting this is WWE, masters of "Tell, Don't Show"

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

armoredgorilla posted:

TV deal announcement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

armoredgorilla posted:

Q1 2014 earnings report with Network subscriber numbers significantly lower than expected / needed.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
To be honest, I am dumbfounded that the WWE still pays its performers based on their position on the card. In the year 2014. Yes, this makes sense back in the territory days as a way of motivating talents from all over with no binding contract, but this is an exclusive mega-corporation. And the level of cronyism ensures that the boss's friends and quite literally the boss will often step in and take the highest paying slots themselves.

I personally find it appalling that WWE performers don't get paid like real athletes. A relatively high base salary, then they get more based on merchandise royalties and certain outside appearances. I am so depressed that the WWE hegemony is so strong that we will likely never see a WWE union until a beloved wrestler dies in the ring due to medical malpractice and not technical incompetence.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

OctoberCountry posted:

Is he not getting reactions on TV anymore?

Yes. Until he gets in the ring.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The case of Ryder is a textbook example of the WWE having something fall into its lap and never doing anything with it.

Ryder was never going to be world champion, and this is from someone who liked the guy. But the WWE could have gotten a solid midcard hand out of his popularity if they had booked him better, not just in the ring, but out of it. The guy’s a weak promo? WWE writes promos every single week that people have to deliver line for line. Have someone backstage who’s good at giving promos work with him! Ring work not up to par? Put him with someone backstage to improve his in-ring skills. Instead, he had, what, a 3 week run at champion, embarrassed by Kane AND Eve, and when people stopped caring for him at all, the WWE threw up their hands and probably said “this millennial just didn’t want the brass ring enough.”

Cesaro gets a huge reaction, maybe just one little push to get him into upper-midcard status on the way to the main event, and the response is to pair him with Heyman when he didn’t need to be, take away the moves that were getting a huge reaction, book him to lose a whole bunch, and when he faltered, the WWE threw up their hands and said “well, he’s got a funny accent.”

A little bit of actual positive work/booking/training/development and you could have had something. Instead, Ryder is sacrificed on the altar of Getting John Cena Over and Cesaro is make-shift tag teaming with Tyson Kidd when he could be going against Rusev.

It really does strike me as a case of the WWE preferring to make less money their way than by making more money by doing something the fans want. It’s not “Show Don’t Tell,” it’s “Like What We Tell You.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't even mind them trying to get us to like something that sucks if they at least stuck with something. When was the last time anyone got a big main event push that they stuck with? Sheamus got King'd, D-Bry had to be dragged to the main event by the crowd... I wouldn't give a poo poo if they made someone awful a main eventer, just so long as they gave us a new main eventer and stuck with them. Miz was pretty bad, but people were still excited because holy poo poo, new main eventer, and then he lost every single match, was shoved aside by The Rock, and now he's in a comedy tagteam. An awesome comedy tagteam, but still.

The Shield Trio seems to be just sort of awkwardly floating around the upper midcard, waiting for someone to pull the trigger on one of them.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

They pulled the trigger on Seth. He is the top heel on the company right now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

to be fair i wouldn't want to go through what was tens of thousands of emails either

I get that, but if you're gonna advertise it as a Q&A, then do a loving Q&A. That's like, a Vince move a little bit.

Sorry to hear more "everything is poo poo" stories, though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Endorph posted:

I wouldn't even mind them trying to get us to like something that sucks if they at least stuck with something. When was the last time anyone got a big main event push that they stuck with? Sheamus got King'd, D-Bry had to be dragged to the main event by the crowd... I wouldn't give a poo poo if they made someone awful a main eventer, just so long as they gave us a new main eventer and stuck with them. Miz was pretty bad, but people were still excited because holy poo poo, new main eventer, and then he lost every single match, was shoved aside by The Rock, and now he's in a comedy tagteam. An awesome comedy tagteam, but still.

The Shield Trio seems to be just sort of awkwardly floating around the upper midcard, waiting for someone to pull the trigger on one of them.

To be fair, Sheamus got another chance in 2012. They just booked him poorly because they didn't know how to book him. Sometimes they just don't know what they're doing, even when they have the best of intentions.

Like, by next Wrestlemania, they want Roman Reigns to be the next big thing but didn't have the common sense to not book him to beat up Seth Rollins in the guy's hometown when he was getting chants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Iunno, maybe it's just because I was watching on-and-off, but it felt like the top heels were HHH and Stephanie and here is their wrestling proxy, Seth Rollins.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I get that, but if you're gonna advertise it as a Q&A, then do a loving Q&A. That's like, a Vince move a little bit.

Sorry to hear more "everything is poo poo" stories, though.

I dunno, it's not like they're charging you for it and they state pretty early on that people won't like this show as much as the last and that it's more of an epilogue than anything else. It's kinda different than paying for something and not getting it and they do answer some questions, though maybe not directly and in the format people expected.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Endorph posted:

Seth is the top heel in the company now, and Roman is going to get a Jesus Cenaish push when he comes back.

Dean is in a filler feud til the end of TLC where who knows what they do with him for the Road to Wrestlemania.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He's doing really well but then so was Bray before he wrestled Cena on ppv

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I dunno, it's not like they're charging you for it and they state pretty early on that people won't like this show as much as the last and that it's more of an epilogue than anything else. It's kinda different than paying for something and not getting it and they do answer some questions, though maybe not directly and in the format people expected.

I guess. It just irks me a little bit, free medium or not, when people are like "Yeah, we're gonna do this!" and then they don't. It's just a pet peeve. Not saying they're The Great Satan or anything, it's just mildly irritating to me personally.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Blasmeister posted:

He's doing really well but then so was Bray before he wrestled Cena on ppv

Bray was still fine, It was the fact that they put him in some stupid feud against Jericho, and then had Cena loving squash him after Summerslam.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Dexo posted:

Bray was still fine, It was the fact that they put him in some stupid feud against Jericho, and then had Cena loving squash him after Summerslam.

It was more that his promos, while delivered really well, do very little to get you invested in matches.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I guess. It just irks me a little bit, free medium or not, when people are like "Yeah, we're gonna do this!" and then they don't. It's just a pet peeve. Not saying they're The Great Satan or anything, it's just mildly irritating to me personally.

I was actually mildly dreading this show because I had serious doubts that they'd get enough intelligent unique questions to fill the time. Even Colt says something to the effect of 'all the idiots send stuff in but the smart people stayed quiet' which makes me think they tried to vet questions and got frustrated enough to dump the Q&A format. It's still worth a listen though because there's some pretty good info in there and Punk sounds like he's having a better time in this one.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Also, Seth and Bray have very different characters. Bray Wyatt needs to be a force of nature who can back up his talk. Losing (and even winning via cheating) diminishes his aura. Seth Rollins is the slimy sellout who got where he is by betraying his friends. If he loses, it's to be expected because his cheating and scheming can only take him so far.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It's too bad that Brock is the top heel otherwise Seth might have more than one singles PPV main event.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dexo posted:

Those certainly weren't good for him either but he wasn't close to as much of a threat after Extreme rules/Payback than he was in the build up to and shortly after Mania.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, Seth and Bray have very different characters. Bray Wyatt needs to be a force of nature who can back up his talk. Losing (and even winning via cheating) diminishes his aura. Seth Rollins is the slimy sellout who got where he is by betraying his friends. If he loses, it's to be expected because his cheating and scheming can only take him so far.

This is true, I wasn't making the comparison particularly seriously, just making a joke about Seth's upcoming match. Seth has been booked more credibly than most chickenshit heels tend to be, which is nice. You can certainly buy him winning against most guys without needing to cheat and while you'd not expect him to beat cena clean that's basically true of everyone not named Brock Lesnar

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

It was more that his promos, while delivered really well, do very little to get you invested in matches.

Sorta, the WM Cena match was built perfectly and if they had gone through with the ending of having Cena hit Wyatt with the chair, and win(or get DQ'd) It would have been so much better. Cena could still overcome the odds and regain his legacy(lol) but Wyatt needed that win in order for his character to have impact.

The problem with Wyatt's promo's is that we know that he won't be making any long term changes to a character because He's feuded with John Cena, a part timer, and now Dean Ambrose which they have said is ending at TLC.

I enjoyed the Daniel Wyatt stuff as that could have been a interesting storyline. But they killed that off early because Daniel Bryan was over as gently caress as a face.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was actually mildly dreading this show because I had serious doubts that they'd get enough intelligent unique questions to fill the time. Even Colt says something to the effect of 'all the idiots send stuff in but the smart people stayed quiet' which makes me think they tried to vet questions and got frustrated enough to dump the Q&A format. It's still worth a listen though because there's some pretty good info in there and Punk sounds like he's having a better time in this one.

I sent a question that I believe was entirely legitimate, but I ABSOLUTELY don't blame them for not wanting to deal with the dumb rear end questions, though. I dunno, I guess I'm in two minds about it. Like, I get it, I just think it also kinda sucks in a different way.

It is a good listen though. I just wanna shake Punk's hand and say thank you. :smith:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

triplexpac posted:

It's too bad that Brock is the top heel otherwise Seth might have more than one singles PPV main event.

he got HIAC and he'll get TLC too

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The stuff about them loving Punk out of ad money and appearances is really gross and makes WWE come off as even more petty and manipulative.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Rollins is the placeholder top heel until Brock returns, sure, but I REALLY hope they actually pull the trigger with his briefcase match. Like if they give him an Edge-like win over Cena after he barely squeaks by winning the title from Brock (because you KNOW he will), then Rollins will be big-time.

Granted he'll be booked as a chicken-poo poo heel that runs from Cena/Reigns/Orton until he is defeated at the subsequent PPV and shuffled down the card.

And this is assuming, of course, that WWE doesn't book Cena to rapadoo Rollins after a long match with Lesnar and with one-arm a la Sandow before him. (they will)

Come to think of it, the ONLY way that Rollins should lose his cash-in is Ambrose interfering, which reignites their feud in time for WM. But again, this is WWE we're talking about here, and Cena must not be allowed to look weak. God forbid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bard Maddox posted:

he got HIAC and he'll get TLC too

I have a feeling Stairs match is going on last. Gotta push the Big Show!!

• Locked thread