Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I noticed that Kakuzu's mask was already broken during the fight. I guess it was never shown intact in the show?

That in particular is a case where CyberConnect2 didn't want to make multiple models for the same character. That mask is supposed to break when Kakashi beats the poo poo out of him, costing him the first heart.
There are a number of times where a character loses an arm in the source material but doesn't in the game, and that's for the same reason.

Dragonatrix posted:

...Really, Chorp? A Phi Brain reference??

Look, my knowledge of characters with the name Banjo is very small, and also it's a hella good name.
Phi Brain is also hilariously overwrought so I can't help but enjoy it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Chorps, can do you do a video actually explaining the battle mechanics at some point? Unless the story mode eventually gives you a Narututorial on how to do Ultimate Jutsus and Awakenings and all these other things in good time.

Otherwise i'll just sit back and enjoy the ninja fights.

There's no tutorial ever of anything in this game, so I could definitely throw together a "how-to" for all the different mechanics that go into the fights. It might take a while since I'll be away from my console for Thanksgiving week, or I might toss something together using the PC version of UNS3, since as far as I remember there's only one mechanic that sees a significant change and it's easy enough to explain the differences. Plus, anyone who picks up a game in this series will probably grab UNS3 or Revolution, so it'd be more relevant.
Regardless, I'll put something together relatively soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Man, compared to literally every other Jonin Asuma was pretty terrible in hindsight, especially since he's the son of the man oft heralded the God of Ninja. Guy is a better melee fighter, Kakashi is Kakashi, and even Kurenai would probably win in a fight if they ever let her do anything other than get out-genjutsu'd by Itachi. Asuma had some neat things but nothing that really set him apart from most Chuunin.
The trench knives were cool though.

Oh also I just remember I watched the anime version of his fight with Hidan for the first time recently, and I guess he learned some bullshit in a filler arc that let him summon the Buddha to kind of bitch slap Hidan's scythe out of the air one time. It was hysterical because they tried to build it up as some big deal that he could do it but then it turns out it basically was used for nothing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The Steak Justice posted:

It was hysterical because they tried to build it up as some big deal that he could do it but then it turns out it basically was used for nothing.

naruto.txt

Seriously, the world and supporting cast had so much potential, but it was all squandered. I think I would have stuck with the series if the story focused more on the highly specialized ninja teams undertaking missions with their varied and unique abilities. Instead, with the exception of a few bright spots, the supporting cast was ignored and made insignificant by Naruto powering up DBZ style.

In other news, I'm really enjoying your videos. I love all of the puns, and I'm getting to catch up on the story that I missed in a very pretty way. Seriously, this game is gorgeous.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Man, compared to literally every other Jonin Asuma was pretty terrible in hindsight, especially since he's the son of the man oft heralded the God of Ninja. Guy is a better melee fighter, Kakashi is Kakashi, and even Kurenai would probably win in a fight if they ever let her do anything other than get out-genjutsu'd by Itachi. Asuma had some neat things but nothing that really set him apart from most Chuunin.
The trench knives were cool though.
As cool as Third Hokage was, once Asuma dies it kind of becomes clear that the Sarutobi clan exists to die poignantly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Kakuzu, there's no point in making yourself Franken-Voldemort if you just put your Horcruxes right on your back and then tell people about it. Then it's a pretty simple game of "kill the bastard 5 times to win"

(I get that he's still apparently a really strong as hell ninja but still that seems like a stupid weakness to tell someone about. Ah well, anime.)

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

TwoPair posted:

Kakuzu, there's no point in making yourself Franken-Voldemort if you just put your Horcruxes right on your back and then tell people about it. Then it's a pretty simple game of "kill the bastard 5 times to win"

(I get that he's still apparently a really strong as hell ninja but still that seems like a stupid weakness to tell someone about. Ah well, anime.)

I think the general goal (other than letting the author talk about how awesome and unkillable the opponents are, before the 'real' characters kill them) is that people are supposed to go 'Oh man, we can't fight THAT!' and give up.

Besides, people like talking about themselves - that isn't any less true in fictional settings with higher stakes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand, what the hell kind of ninja of any worth would tell their enemies both their gimmick and their biggest weakness? And with complete sincerity, to boot?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

On the other hand, what the hell kind of ninja of any worth would tell their enemies both their gimmick and their biggest weakness? And with complete sincerity, to boot?

The one who is an anime character.

"Gimmicks" in Naruto are like power levels in DBZ in that people talk about them all the time regardless of if you give away a weakness or not.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

ChorpSaway posted:

Kurenai Yuhi
The leader of the Hidden Leaf Village’s Team Kurenai. She is a caring motherly figure, particularly towards her team, taking a vested interest in everyone’s growth and always concerning herself with their personal lives. She does not do much fighting on her own, but she is mostly known for her powerful genjutsu abilities. It is heavily implied that she is in a romantic relationship with Asuma, a fellow jonin.

Yes. "Implied". Even though she's the only female in the series with an actual legitimate reason for being barred from screen time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TCat posted:

Yes. "Implied". Even though she's the only female in the series with an actual legitimate reason for being barred from screen time.

Which is?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

She's pregnant, hard to be ninja fighting when the wrong hit has you completely hosed.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I don't remember if the game ever even mentions that, actually.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

One written poorly

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

U.T. Raptor posted:

I don't remember if the game ever even mentions that, actually.

Probably not. Since we're on the subject of Kurenai, the anime episode where they tell her what happened to Asuma is probably one of the best they've ever done. Relatively speaking, I mean.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I don't want to overanalyze a Naruto character because they all talk about their gimmicks because it's an anime but for the old/super-elite/etc. characters it does make a certain amount of sense within the bizarre confines of the Naruto universe. If you're old as hell and have been telling your enemies your gimmick for decades before killing them anyway why would you stop?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jazerus posted:

I don't want to overanalyze a Naruto character because they all talk about their gimmicks because it's an anime but for the old/super-elite/etc. characters it does make a certain amount of sense within the bizarre confines of the Naruto universe. If you're old as hell and have been telling your enemies your gimmick for decades before killing them anyway why would you stop?

Well, why talk about them to begin with, then? :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
This is, by no means, an excuse for talking about your gimmick, but there are two major reasons why the ninjas would talk about their gimmick.

First, most of these ninjutsu/genjutsu/whatever have been passed down through the family or have been resurrected from forgotten tomes or scrolls or whatever the hell. Japanese cultural places a lot of importance on heritage and ancestry, so having a jutsu with a long and storied past or being a part of something that was forbidden is a pretty big deal. Conversely, if you are the first person to ever pioneer a certain technique, that is also a pretty big deal.

Secondly, from a writing perspective, it would be very difficult to visually communicate some of the nuances of certain characters actions/motivations/style without words explaining it. For example, Kakuzu, who has 4 masks hiding ninja hearts in his back. It's one thing to show the masks and, oh hey, they shoot fire and poo poo, but it's quite another thing to try and visually represent a ninja's heart being placed in the mask that is then inserted into the guys back and then, somehow, magically shoots fire and there are also tentacles. :v:

Words are just a more efficient usage of the artists time to get to the more important parts of the story, such as all the wonderfully written female char-AHAHAHaha, sorry, I couldn't keep going with that. :haw:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Personally, I think it's fine in this case, just because Kakuzu could definitely have a big enough ego to do something so stupid, and perhaps, he likes bragging. I mean, it's not as though villains are necessarily known for their self-restraint after all.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Hello, friends! Unfortunately, due to some scheduling issues for this holiday season, me and my crew the Otaku Trash Machine were unable to come together to record an update. Also, Dxtory seems to be having trouble capturing UNS3 at a reasonable framerate so the tutorial video is delayed as well. Sorry, friends! But we'll do our best to have some new content ready for you next week, and maybe we'll even update twice to make up for this!
Either way, take your time to enjoy the Thanksgiving season, and think of all the things you're thankful for!
I'm thankful for anime. Even Naruto.

Also, re: Kakuzu and his powers, he's stated to be 91. He's survived 5 generations without much of a challenge! Of course he's gonna be cocky about his powers, even if he's a bit more level-headed than his associate. He has anime villain hubris.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

After a week off from anime for Thanksgiving togetherness, we're proud to announce that today is...

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, our allies are still fighting the invading Akatsuki, and Naruto has completed his training. Will his help be enough to stop the Akatsuki, or is he all out of heart? And what of Shikamaru, who is currently facing Hidan alone in vengeance for his teacher? Find out today in the exciting conclusion to Chapter 3: The Immortal Akatsuki!

Also, just for you guys, enjoy this video where I explain how to play a video game!
Bonus: The Ins and Outs of Ultimate Ninja Storm

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I need a gif a Naruto caving Kazuku face in with that punch holy poo poo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think the dude would break and run when he was down to 2 hearts.

Or at least go off and find a pug to kiss.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I don't know how to use chopsticks so I eat my ramen with a Narufork.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Live from the Village Hidden in the Leaves, it's Saturday Ninja!

With Naruto Uzumaki!
Sakura Haruno!
Shikamaru Nara!
Tenten!
Gaara of the Sand!

With musical guest Houkago Tea Time!

And your host, Monkey D. Luffy!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

That boss battle is one of the hardest in the game (only the... next one, I believe, was worse), because Kakuzu's tentacle-tribble mode is a bitch to defeat without losing a lot of your health.

Avoiding the attacks helps though :v:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

DFlux posted:

I need a gif a Naruto caving Kazuku face in with that punch holy poo poo.

It's super massive but here you go! Someone good at optimization might be able to cut some megs off of it.

U.T. Raptor posted:

That boss battle is one of the hardest in the game (only the... next one, I believe, was worse), because Kakuzu's tentacle-tribble mode is a bitch to defeat without losing a lot of your health.

Avoiding the attacks helps though :v:

WOW RUDE
But totally fair. Once Kakuzu's on the ground and doing attacks separately from his tendril body I start to get reckless and I don't really check the pattern on both attacks. I also have trouble with dodging the laser even though I know what to do, because I always find myself in a position where I can't get to one edge of the battlefield. Ah well, still an S-Rank! :v:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we take a break from following Naruto's wacky adventures and turn our magical ninja eyes towards his eternal rival, Sasuke! Relations seem to be shaky at the Orochimaru house, and Sasuke looks like he's ready to start on his own mission. Will he be able to break free? Find out today in Chapter 4: "Hebi Formation"!

This chapter's special guest is: FutureFriend! We finally have a full four man ninja squad!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Suigetsu Hozuki
An ex-prisoner of Orochimaru and the first member of Sasuke’s new team. After the death of his brother, one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist, Suigetsu decided he would collect all seven of these blades in order to start the organization anew as its leader. However, his plans were cut short after Orochimaru imprisoned him in order to learn Suigetsu’s secret ability to liquefy himself. After Sasuke let all of Orochimaru’s prisoners free following his death, he joined Sasuke’s new team. He is hasty and cocky, often leading Karin to attack him. Due to his secret technique, Suigetsu must stay hydrated at all times, which is why he keeps a water bottle with him. He currently wields Zabuza’s sword, the Kubikiriocho.

Karin
An ex-jailer for Orochimaru and the second member of Sasuke’s new team. Karin has a very strong fluctuating personality, rapidly switching between violent and critical, and highly flirtatious, particularly when she’s alone with Sasuke. She’s a non-combantant, with most of her powers focused on healing and recon. She can sense the presence of people by their chakra signature, which is useful both for tracking and for figuring out if they’re lying or hiding something. She can also conceal her own chakra signature in order to hide. She also has an incredible healing ability that will naturally heal her wounds and extend her life. By having other people bite her, they can heal themselves with her healing as well. She’s also really smart. Shame about the personality.

Terms Introduced This Episode
Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist
An organization made up of the seven strongest sword wielders in the Hidden Mist Village. Each generation, the strongest fighters for that particular generation are brought together in a battle royale to the death. The seven most powerful members that emerge victorious are given a special blade to weild, though many of the swordsmen master the use of multiple blades. Currently, only three of the current generation’s members are still alive.

Technically I could have introduced this term when Kisame first appeared, but I think it's a little more important now. So there!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I can't remember, doesn't Sasuke release Suigetsu from a literal glass tube he's trapped as water in, then help get him Zabuza's sword to recruit him? And I can't recall if it's canon that Karin was one of the people to experiment on Suigetsu or not.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

dancingbears posted:

I can't remember, doesn't Sasuke release Suigetsu from a literal glass tube he's trapped as water in, then help get him Zabuza's sword to recruit him? And I can't recall if it's canon that Karin was one of the people to experiment on Suigetsu or not.

Yeah, the anime has Sasuke release Suigetsu from a glass tube, at which point he threatened Sasuke with a magic finger-gun technique. Then after some talking he decided he was cool with joining Sasuke's team if Sasuke would help him find all the Hidden Mist Village swords. Then they detoured for Zabuza's sword and went to go recruit Karin.

Karin didn't experiment on Suigetsu, but she did help experiment on some other characters we'll learn about soon enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite Zelda game is One Piece.wind waker

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

My favorite Zelda is Okami :colbert:

Also, Karin is notable for being one of the two characters in the Storm games whose ultimate is different if you use it on a different character (pre-timeskip Hinata is the other).

:shrug: I have no idea why they made Karin a fully-playable character when she would have been one of the few characters better off as support-only.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have no idea about her character, but in Ninja Storm 3 I like that her special is slapping someone in the face with a bomb.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

U.T. Raptor posted:

My favorite Zelda is Okami :colbert:

Same. Okami is best Zelda.

Also Final Fantasy 9 is better than Final Fantasy 7.

Edit: I recognize Karin's voice, but I can't place it. Isn't she someone who always winds up voicing these kinds of characters?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my favorite zelda game is senran kagura

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jenner posted:

Edit: I recognize Karin's voice, but I can't place it. Isn't she someone who always winds up voicing these kinds of characters?

Ali Hillis.

Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising or Lightning from The Best RPG And Zelda: Final Fantasy XIII

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait how did "word get around" that Orochimaru's dead? I mean, there's only one witness, so unless Kabuto was loving hauling rear end to the other secret bases while Sasuke and Suigetsu were fighting, who would know?

Also, wow Sasuke way to loving cheat. "My eyes can see through your jutsu" when you don't even have your crazy eye powers activated.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Was really hoping Orochimaru would be a boss fight and have his crazy snake form, considering he was the main villain before the timeskip.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

ChorpSaway posted:

Shame about the personality.

Which one :haw:?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 14, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Was really hoping Orochimaru would be a boss fight and have his crazy snake form, considering he was the main villain before the timeskip.

Seriously. I guess they didn't want to do another Orochimaru boss after doing him vs. Fox Naruto, but it does feel like a rather unceremonious death for a major antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

There's a bunch of major fights from the series that just sort of end up being glossed over in the games when they could have been made into boss battles. I think there's another one in this chapter, in fact.

• Locked thread