Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like karnov's revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

alternatively making sweeping statements about the nature of a singular game mechanic is stifling and limiting and really just boring

Is it really? I would think that would be the best way of doing it...?

If we don't look at single mechanics, and figure out if it's cool or not, how do you propose we do this?

edit- Oh you said it's boring. Well, do what I do.. I pop a molly before i analyze FG mechanics. Keeps my head in the game.

Zand posted:

I hope SF5 is good, but the series has been in a slow decline since ST (some would argue since HF) so I wouldn't bet on it

HF was the best game in the series, and somehow the most popular too.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 6, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dunno melty blood has throws that are two-button and will lose to some rear end in a top hat mashing jab but they are like no frame startup and lead into da big damages. This fits 1 out of 3 criteria for a good game therefore melty blood is at least a third good.

alternatively making sweeping statements about the nature of a singular game mechanic is stifling and limiting and really just boring

Man, imagine fierce-throws in MB with that game's throw range and reverse beat. Also, comboable air throws.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

No to which part? The part where a grown man talks about how to approach video games, or the part where a grown man talks about the necessity of self-love?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
uhh arent melty throws like 5 frames startup lol

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Broken Loose posted:

Finally, isn't Sirlin the one who claims that jab > throw > block is integral to the game? Deliberate throw commands with >jab startup frames only make that relationship more meaningful.

Considering this is exactly how Yomi works, the answer is almost certainly yes

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
The funny thing is that everyone bitching about SF5 (right now, in all likelihood at least a year and a half before the game is released) are all going to buy and play it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spermgod posted:

MBAC info says it was 4f, I'm gonna assume that didn't change.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

3S came out in 1999 when trip-hop, jungle, etc music was mainstream. Moby, Tricky, and other acts were selling platinum records. That is not the case today.

I really hope we haven't reached a point where video game music has to follow mainstream trends. Really though, almost any direction they go with in the SF5 soundtrack would be better than what we have now.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Night Blade posted:

I really hope we haven't reached a point where video game music has to follow mainstream trends. Really though, almost any direction they go with in the SF5 soundtrack would be better than what we have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBZFptrQPgA&t=37s

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

40 OZ posted:

Is it really? I would think that would be the best way of doing it...?

If we don't look at single mechanics, and figure out if it's cool or not, how do you propose we do this?

I'm mostly saying that making a broad statement that "this is how throws should work in all FGs" is a really boring point of view. Big picture man, how does having different throws impact the flow of the game and how does that make it play? it's dumb old man poo poo to proclaim that all two button throws are bad and every game with them is bad

Spermgod posted:

fast enough to the point where reacting to them is out of the question, at any rate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

So you're saying bring Indestructible back? Nice to see you finally embracing the modern world.

(bring indestructible back)

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

fast enough to the point where reacting to them is out of the question, at any rate

you can mash jab to avoid tick throws and combo off it

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Spermgod posted:

you can mash jab to avoid tick throws and combo off it

Yes.

e;never said throws were good in melty because they so ain't

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 6, 2014

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Sf5 won't have R.Mika so I'm not gonna buy it. You can't make me.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

I'm mostly saying that making a broad statement that "this is how throws should work in all FGs" is a really boring point of view. Big picture man, how does having different throws impact the flow of the game and how does that make it play? it's dumb old man poo poo to proclaim that all two button throws are bad and every game with them is bad
isnt that quite a broad statement you're making yourself re: "dumb old man poo poo" ? ? ?

quote:

throw startup alone changes the very nature of a throw-based offense on a fundamental level. I don't know how to type enough words for you to think I'm making a coherent point about it that meets your standards for discussion, so I'm not going to explain myself but I'm just going to instead let you know that I'm definitely in the right here and you are definitely in the wrong.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

y do u do this

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
I just want Marvel 4 :( or at least a next gen version of 3.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Night Blade posted:

lol what this has been a thing since proper music was able to be put into games

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Yes.

e;never said throws were good in melty because they so ain't

aren't you the dude who mashed S for half an hour in GG and decided it was poo poo

and then unironically asked if people bought DFC

e: oh yeah you are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

aren't you the dude who mashed S for half an hour in GG and decided it was poo poo

lol

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Mashing S in GG is good. On the subject of throws: throwing a burst is the best thing, do throws like that.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

asked if people bought DFC sure because why not, but gently caress off with your putting words into my mouth about GG, I never said it was bad, just that I had no idea what I was doing with it and my initial experience with the game didn't really endear me to putting more time into it.

E; for real to add clarity, the guy I was playing with gave really vague answers to questions about system mechanics and I'm fairly certain my controls were also bound wrong. gently caress man I don't think that represents the game at all, that's some bullshit.

also has nothing to do with anything so :bravo:

Zand posted:

isnt that quite a broad statement you're making yourself re: "dumb old man poo poo" ? ? ?

no

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 7, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ryu's little kick thing before Denjin (new cr.MK?) looks weird.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Ultra thread is better, screw this thread

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Question Mark Mound posted:

Looks a lot like Necro's st.MK.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thwack! posted:

Looks a lot like Necro's st.MK.

It's probably actually a real martial arts move, but the gently caress is he doing. It's a squatting inside leg kick?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Dias posted:

It's probably actually a real martial arts move, but the gently caress is he doing. It's a squatting inside leg kick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WpYWpN0VXU&t=1m39s

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

apple posted:

Ultra thread is better, screw this thread

When are you gonna do the Off Blast Show and bring peace & harmony to fighting games.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Heh, cr.MK, you actually believe this is going to be a 6 button game?

(but seriously how scary would that be if it wasn't for some reason)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

Heh, cr.MK, you actually believe this is going to be a 6 button game?

(but seriously how scary would that be if it wasn't for some reason)

5 button street fighter :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The fifth button is taunt. All is forgiven.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
SF5 almost seems like a hodge podge of other fighting games and not really a Street Fighter game but you know I think I'm OK with this. I'd rather Capcom steal meter charging from KOF, guard crush from SF Alpha and breakable walls from DOA than invent brand new things pulled out of their asses like focus attacks and x-factor. Also chain combos are as weird in an SF game today as they were in Alpha but hey whatever I'm cool with this.

Also Denjin Ryu is back, and Denjin Ryu is the coolest Ryu.

Mio Bison posted:

Other confirmed bad games: every single 3D game, 3S, Melty, UNIEL

Whaaaaaaaaaaaatttt

them's fightin' woids

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Breakable wall was a thing in SF2.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Anyone have any issue with the Mad Catz store recently? Buddy of mine is trying to pre-order the Persona 4 Ultimax TE 2, and he's been getting issues with his card being rejected, and then getting calls from the credit card company about a suspicious charge (???). Not sure if it's something about the site, or if he just has bad luck.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 7, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The PS4 sticks are all preorders that don't charge until they ship, but they do a hold charge to verify its s real account iirc

could be why

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Zand posted:

throw startup alone changes the very nature of a throw-based offense on a fundamental level. I don't know how to type enough words for you to think I'm making a coherent point about it that meets your standards for discussion, so I'm not going to explain myself but I'm just going to instead let you know that I'm definitely in the right here and you are definitely in the wrong.

Zand-kun please note poster "succint and punchy" made this super-good post a few days ago:

I played Guilty Gear X2 #Reload a couple of days ago with a friend who wanted to show it to me. Spent most of my time winning by picking the girl with an enormous anchor and using forward slash despite having no loving idea what I was doing. Then one time I jumped and got instantly killed from full life to none by what looked like a DP. Then I picked Baiken and continued to spam forward slash and still won like half the time. This went on for roughly an hour before I got bored and wandered back to Melty Blood. Didn't exactly endear me to the series, put it that way.

So probably arguing with him about throws or which games are good isn't really very helpful

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 7, 2014

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
let's not do this whole post history thing guys

there have been a lot of bad posts made in this thread, let them rest in peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Zand-kun please note poster "succint and punchy" made this super-good post a few days ago:

So probably arguing with him about throws or which games are good isn't really very helpful

i like the part where you've omitted that I explicitly acknowledge it's a bad opinion afterwards (because it is) and also where making a dumb not-particularly-serious post apparently invalidates every point ever made from that point onwards.

I don't even care much about the original argument anymore. That is bullshit and you're a loving retard.

• Locked thread