Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

a posting ghost posted:

Sure hes held to a higher standard now, but he shouldnt be expected to apply that standard to past behavior as well.

if his past behavior should be held at the same standard as anyone elses, then why should he get a pardon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Bacicot posted:

He also hasn't paid his dues or admitted any wrongdoing or shown any shred of remorse

or been convicted of any crimes

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

if his past behavior should be held at the same standard as anyone elses, then why should he get a pardon?

I don't think he should get one. The argument earlier about plenty of less advantaged folks down on their luck due to convictions was convincing to me. Youth charities are a dime a dozen anyway. He's not being held back, he's just being held forward. His conviction isn't stopping him from writing big anonymous checks to whomever and whatever.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 8, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1988 is older than i exist, and the 80s were a different time where it was probably more okay to gouge out an asian man's eye, so who am I to judge. We can play what-if games all day about how he would be if he wasn't famous, but he is, he does charity work, and he should be able to do that. Bunch of pearl clutching liberal bitches in here who think 27 years isn't long enough to atone for some bullshit you did in the 80s.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

a posting ghost posted:

I don't think he should get one. The argument earlier about plenty of less advantaged folks down on their luck due to convictions was convincing to me. Youth charities are a dime a dozen anyway. He's not being held back, he's just being held forward. His conviction isn't stopping him from writing big anonymous checks to whomever and whatever.

writing a check to the dude he blinded might be a good start

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
i wonder if that dude ever watches a mark wahlberg movie, gets pissed off that he can only see out of one eye so its hard to see everything thats going on, then flies into a rampage

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I blame Mr. Mark for failing to prevent 9/11.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo mark's brother, donnie, was very good in the tv show Band of Brothers, so if anyone gets a pardon it should be him

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

writing a check to the dude he blinded might be a good start

I agree but thats on him, to do it out of genuine remorse. No one can demand that of him. And maybe he feels differently about the incident than everyone else, and maybe the other guy doesn't even want the money. Ok that was my last remaining opinion im done

usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

1988 is older than i exist,

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Jastiger posted:

The pardon has to come from the governor of the state. Literally asking the highest executive of a state to erase his record so he can get a liquor license or some poo poo. Pardons are for miscarriages of justice or when you're convicted under a stupid rear end law, not so you can have a better life because of some stupid poo poo you did in your past. I'm sure there are thousands of people that can't get decent jobs or do what they want because of dumbass decisions made when they were younger, and they don't petition the governor to abloo abloo expunge their record, or if they did, it isn't seriously considered.

He has had a successful career as an actor, and thats awesome for him. Doesn't mean the other guy can somehow see again after he tried to murder him. Also why doesn't he just donate money to the guy he hurt instead of shrugging about it.

It genuinely baffles me. Mark Wahlberg talks a big game about how he forgives himself for what he did and he does so much charity work now, but that doesn't give Thanh Lam his eye back. And the only reason he's able to afford the time and money for charity is because he lucked out and became a celebrity. If he was working-class he'd be a career criminal right now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Clochette posted:

If he was working-class he'd be a career criminal right now.

I think most of the Irish mobs have been downsizing a lot over the past couple decades so he'd probably just be a bum or a marketer or something

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

although even if Mark did not become famous, he'd still have a rich and famous and talented and hot brother to mooch off of, named Donnie, so he'd probably just do that

usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

imo mark's brother, donnie, was very good in the tv show Band of Brothers, so if anyone gets a pardon it should be him

Mark Wahlberg as PRODUCER [the highlights]:

Boardwalk Empire
How To Make It In America
Entourage* [*yes, questionable, but successful]
The Fighter

M.W as ACTOR [the highlights]:
The Fighter
Entourage* [*same as above, clearly famil love]
The Departed
I Heart Huckabees
Three Kings
The Basketball Diaries
The Ben Stiller Show

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

usernamecooper posted:

Mark Wahlberg as PRODUCER [the highlights]:

Boardwalk Empire
How To Make It In America
Entourage* [*yes, questionable, but successful]
The Fighter

M.W as ACTOR [the highlights]:
The Fighter
Entourage* [*same as above, clearly famil love]
The Departed
I Heart Huckabees
Three Kings
The Basketball Diaries
The Ben Stiller Show

none of that stuff was even close to as good as Band of Brothers

and the Ben Stiller show was terrible

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Clochette posted:

It genuinely baffles me. Mark Wahlberg talks a big game about how he forgives himself for what he did and he does so much charity work now, but that doesn't give Thanh Lam his eye back. And the only reason he's able to afford the time and money for charity is because he lucked out and became a celebrity. If he was working-class he'd be a career criminal right now.

Ok so you think that if someone is destructive and angry as a youth you're just totally hosed for your whole life and there's no saving you? You honestly believe that if someone is legitimately sorry for wrongs they have committed in the past that they should just be hosed for life? This doesn't just apply to celebrities you know. There are plenty of people who were criminals that have reformed and live straight lives. Many of them mentor troubled youth which is something they never had.

usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

none of that stuff was even close to as good as Band of Brothers

HBO is an acronym for Home Box Office

You are so right that Donnie would have made so much $$$ and professional prestige from Band of Brothers that Mark would be riding his long tuxedo coat tails forever asking himself: how do I ever catch up to my wildly attractive and successful brother?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

usernamecooper posted:

HBO is an acronym for Home Box Office

You are so right that Donnie would have made so much $$$ and professional prestige from Band of Brothers that Mark would be riding his long tuxedo coat tails forever asking himself: how do I ever catch up to my wildly attractive and successful brother?

it's true and you know it. in fact if the Governor handed out Being As Attractive and Successful as Donnie, instead of pardons, that is probably what Mark would be asking for here. if you think about it, its reall the subtext under this whole thing

usernamecooper
May 3, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

it's true and you know it. in fact if the Governor handed out Being As Attractive and Successful as Donnie, instead of pardons, that is probably what Mark would be asking for here. if you think about it, its reall the subtext under this whole thing

the only subtext being that matt dillon would also be present and questioning given his own imdb record and why donnie instead of his performance in many well regarded 1990s films that involved people coming of age and then that time he played bukowski to some regard. but he [matt dillon] doesn't have a brother that attends church a million times a year.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Clochette posted:

Billy Cosby hasn't raped anyone for a few years either
That we know about.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI

Markys criminal record makes it hard for him to connect and be trusted by the elderly

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

why is the news article yelling at me?

oh lol i had my speakers up really loud haha

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if Donnie Wahlberg had, in a fit of youthful rage, gouged out a mans eye, he would have been immediately stricken with remorse, he would have gouged out his own eye and given it to the man. meanwhile Mark Wahlberg eyes a pile of money with his two good eyes and beckons to his friend the Governor. This world is Sick.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
mark wahlberg served his time... hes paid his dues... god has forgiven him, why can't you, OP?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

liberals think they're God :rolleyes:

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
The real tragedy is that the man Marky Mark half blinded can't see Transformers 4 in 3D.

mookface posted:

Ok so you think that if someone is destructive and angry as a youth you're just totally hosed for your whole life and there's no saving you? You honestly believe that if someone is legitimately sorry for wrongs they have committed in the past that they should just be hosed for life? This doesn't just apply to celebrities you know.

Wahlberg could make the effort to find the guy and apologize and give him some form of restitution. That's the kind of thing people who are legitimately sorry for their crimes would do. No one expects him to do this because he is a celebrity, they expect him to do it because it's the right thing to do. The fact that his wealth makes it even easier to find the guy AND improve his life just makes it that much shittier that Wahlberg can't be bothered. But oh wait he forgave himself and he goes to church it's all good then.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 8, 2014

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
People should think about all the dumb things they did when they were 16 and feel lucky if those dumb things still aren't haunting them in a significant way.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Secks Cauldron posted:

That we know about.

We don't know if he ever raped anyone to be honest.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

Wow this is absurd that a man in a fight with another man yells the most offensive poo poo he can while doing it. Surely this does not happen when people of other races get into fights or assault people. Weird and mind blown

I will fight you, you loving retard. Ugly bitch. Shut the gently caress up. Dumb slut. I hate you. I will end you.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Is getting a pardon really as big a deal as it's being made out to be here? In Canada, regular people with a criminal record from years previous can apply for them and usually get them if they've lived on the straight and narrow since then and didn't have a lot of prior convictions. You don't need to meet with the premier of the province or make a direct appeal to the Prime Minister or anything - it's just a bunch of paperwork. The option exists so that you aren't held back because of some stupid thing you did 10 years ago, which seems like a good thing. It doesn't matter to Wahlberg because it's not like his record is preventing him from making a living, but for regular people, having a reason to stay out of trouble in the ensuing years seems like a good motivation.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 8, 2014

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The B_36 posted:

Is getting a pardon really as big a deal as it's being made out to be here? In Canada, regular people with a criminal record from years previous can apply for them and usually get them if they've lived on the straight and narrow since then and didn't have a lot of prior convictions. You don't need to meet with the premier of the province or make a direct appeal to the Prime Minister or anything - it's just a bunch of paperwork. The option exists so that you aren't held back because of some stupid thing you did 10 years ago, which seems like a good thing. It doesn't matter to Wahlberg because it's not like his record is preventing him from making a living, but for regular people, having a reason to stay out of trouble in the ensuing years seems like a good motivation.

Wow.....

In the UK you can only get a pardon if you didn't commit the crime and can prove it or other mitigating circumstances. What happens in other cases is that after 5 years the conviction becomes "spent" meaning you don't have to declare it for most jobs. However, any job involving children/vulnerable people means you still need to declare it, and it's on your record anyway. If you have a criminal offence and apply for a job where you must even declare "spent" convictions, such as being a teacher or w/e, they will find out anyway and refuse based on character grounds anyway. It never goes off your record, ever. I am not sure what happens if you served time for it though, I think it only applies to non-custodial convictions (legal uk goons?).

Also, we have no differentiation between a felonly and misdemeanour. A crime is a crime, so a DUI with no-one else involved, or theft, is a criminal offence just like murder is. However, most sensible people will see the difference.

Going back on topic, and coming from the UK legal system, no he should not get a loving pardon. He blinded someone in one eye for fucksake. Yes it was in the past, and it hasn't hampered his career, but he did it and that's that.

spud fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

The B_36 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expungement

quote:

A very real distinction exists between an expungement and a pardon. When an expungement is granted, the person whose record is expunged may, for most purposes, treat the event as if it never occurred. A pardon (also called "executive clemency") does not "erase" the event; rather, it constitutes forgiveness. In the United States, an expungement can be granted only by a judge; while a pardon can be granted only by the President of the United States for federal offenses, and the state governor, certain other state executive officers, or the State Board of Pardons and Paroles (varies from state to state) for state offenses,

Each jurisdiction whose law allows expungement has its own definitions of expungement proceedings. Generally, expungement is the process to "remove from general review" the records pertaining to a case. In many jurisdictions, however, the records may not completely "disappear" and may still be available to law enforcement, to sentencing judges on subsequent offenses, and to corrections facilities to which the individual may be sentenced on subsequent convictions.

expungements happen every day, but it's been 8 years since anyone in MA has successfully gotten a state pardon

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Often you can have juvenile records expunged no problem.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
he was tried as an adult in the assault on the vietnamese guy.

i'm guessing an expungement isn't enough for his purposes, though, if he's going for a full pardon

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clochette posted:

Dude I think you're stuck in the plot of Trading Places now you get to have an adventure with Eddie Murphy (also you're a retard)

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
He's white! Get him!

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
He already served his sentence a long time ago, what would a pardon be for? To assure him that he's a good guy now? "Oh Mark you've really cleaned up your act how about we just agree that you never did anything bad in the past because you're such a big loving crybabby that you can't bear to have a record of you breaking the law without a pat on the head from the government. Also we're going to instruct your ex-girlfriends to say that you never once shot early and photoshop your school pictures to get rid of your acne."

poorlifedecision fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 8, 2014

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

All the cells that constituted Mark Wahlberg's 16yr old self no longer exist.

Therefore the Mark Wahlberg that did those awful things no longer exists.

This might be important.

I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Real Talk he served his time (pathetically little as it was) so the question becomes is it useful for society to know who you were in the past. That's an unequivocal yes. It's great that he's a good person now, but that doesn't invalidate who he used to be.

• Locked thread