Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Star Man posted:

I will fight you.

They're not wrong and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Star Man posted:

I will fight you.

Only thing worse than an elf is a space elf.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Nalesh posted:

Only thing worse than an elf is a space elf.

yeah, gently caress the Asari

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Aces High posted:

yeah, gently caress the Asari

There are several people who wish to do that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Spudd posted:

Fight me, nerds.

StarMan#526

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Spudd posted:

Except the Protoss are actually likable? :shrug:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah some of them don't even think humans should all die.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

George posted:

Yeah some of them don't even think humans should all die.

Hell even the one who's here to purge the colony doesn't think humans should just die for being humans, they're going to burn the place because the colony is absolutely no questions infested.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah we should totally apply this for all incurable conditions, like the current ebola outbreak :P
Or maybe we could apply quarantine protocols, and spread the population up as much as they can that if one does go full brutalisk, it'll only kill and infect a limited number.

Game logic sometimes escapes me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Feinne posted:

Hell even the one who's here to purge the colony doesn't think humans should just die for being humans, they're going to burn the place because the colony is absolutely no questions infested.

When she submitted the paperwork for this purging, she sneakily checked the "Zerg" box instead of "Humans" for what was on the planet.

Turns out the Zerg infestation was just a happy coincidence.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samuel posted:

Game logic sometimes escapes me.

It's a colony, the infrastructure required might not be there for such an outbreak.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Purge the colony because it's the right thing to do.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's a colony, the infrastructure required might not be there for such an outbreak.

Also ebola isn't a sentient organism that actively tries to murder and consume entire planets. The zerg virus is basically space magic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ebola makes you get sick and die.

Infestation makes you into a zerg spy who tries to spread the infestation to the entire species.

And/or makes you explode violently.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

And/or makes you explode violently.

Only when God gets bored and wants you to say something funny.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Only when God gets bored and wants you to say something funny.
So, most of the time, then?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I killed the colonists during my playthrough, so I'm going with Save the colony. Gotta see the alternate cutscenes.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Save the colony and use bullets to kill a bunch of shield mans.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

save the colonists because gently caress elves

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Spudd posted:

whoever the 40k guy was who got his poo poo all over Starcraft, I wish he'd leave. Sure, a lot of stuff has always been pretty close to 40k but it had at least a little separation before. In WOL, hahah, nope.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
Save the colony. We haven't fought enough protoss yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Psion posted:

whoever the 40k guy was who got his poo poo all over Starcraft, I wish he'd leave. Sure, a lot of stuff has always been pretty close to 40k but it had at least a little separation before. In WOL, hahah, nope.

StarCraft is inspired, but you're right, that's about it. I've compared the Emperor of Man to King Arthur and the space marine primarchs to the Knights of the Round Table. But space marines are lifted right out of Starship Troopers and Aliens. Aliens from outer space being more advanced than humans has been a concept that's been around for a century. The zerg and tyranids are the bugs from Starship Troopers, the Borg, and xenomorphs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
People who like 40k seem to have this irresistible compulsion to compare absolutely everything to it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

paragon1 posted:

People who like 40k seem to have this irresistible compulsion to compare absolutely everything to it.

Eh, they'd have a point here if they ever bothered pointing out that the art of some of the zerg units looks really similar to nids beyond them both being bug alien races. Naturally I've only ever heard sperg about the totally original sci fi settings that aren't cliche and campy at all.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I see it the other way, you can put ANYTHING in 40k and make it work. So, inevitably, EVERYTHING will end up in 40k eventually.

In the case of Starcraft, though, there is a definite relation.

… Well, they're all ripping off Tolkien, anyway. Orks (and Professor Tolkien actually preferred that orthography later on), Elves, Men, Dwarves, Bugs intent on devouring everything, etc.

Ungoliant and her spawn count for the "Bugs intent on devouring everything".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Zerg = nids is going to be a comparison made forever, that's fine.

The redesigned Firebats are an example of what I was thinking. It's fine to take the same archetype and put your own spin on it, but you could literally plonk the Firebat into 40k and nobody would blink. The Protoss Cult, also, cleaves a bit too closely.

e: the only reason I bring this up is I swear a former Games Workshop guy started working at Blizzard about this time. Is that right?

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 10, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The more I think about it the more it feels like everything in Starcraft BUT the Protoss are a whole lot like something in 40k.

Seriously though mention absolutely anything even remotely scifi on the internet and someone will say X is just like Y in Warhammer 40k eventually.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

paragon1 posted:

When you spend as much as your car on your hobby it becomes your life

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

paragon1 posted:

The more I think about it the more it feels like everything in Starcraft BUT the Protoss are a whole lot like something in 40k.

Eldar, they're just not humans with pointy ears.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Protoss are hella different from humans dude. They're nothing like the Eldar. That's what spurred the whole conversation.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Protoss buildings that warp in units make me think they were inspired by Stargate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

paragon1 posted:

Protoss are hella different from humans dude. They're nothing like the Eldar. That's what spurred the whole conversation.

Hmmm. Ancient seemingly immortal race with psychic powers and a degree of a shared collective consciousness who plant psychic power crystals into everything, have a light/dark split between those who follow their orthodox religion and those who wished to retain their individuality and original culture, who warp in units and structures through a dimensional rift... nope, nothing like Eldar.

Space elves aren't exactly something 40k came up with, but Blizzard and GW were drawing from the same general inspiration.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They both have absurdly pointy heads/hats. If you try, you'll be able to say THIS IS JUST LIKE IN 40K. Regardless of what we're talking about.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Veloxyll posted:

They both have absurdly pointy heads/hats. If you try, you'll be able to say THIS IS JUST LIKE IN 40K. Regardless of what we're talking about.

Don't Eredar have mouths?

Starcraft and 40k confirmed different.

:colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Just helmets. So many helmets.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's not even a point of debate that WarCraft was originally designed as a WarHammer game, and that StarCraft was their 40k edition. What made the original games special was that they took inspiration from a million other things at the same time, but lately the formula has... homogenized.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

IIRC back in the day, Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer game but plans fell through, so they just did their own thing instead, it's just that "their thing" was probably heavily informed by playing tabletop in Metzen's basement.

efb

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

George posted:

It's not even a point of debate that WarCraft was originally designed as a WarHammer game, and that StarCraft was their 40k edition. What made the original games special was that they took inspiration from a million other things at the same time, but lately the formula has... homogenized.
Actually, isn't the whole "Bad guy was actually forced evil by this other, badder guy" ripped straight out of WoW? I always wondered why they bothered doing that, since I was okay with the orcs just being total assholes before Thrall showed up and dooming themselves.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. Ancient seemingly immortal race with psychic powers and a degree of a shared collective consciousness who plant psychic power crystals into everything, have a light/dark split between those who follow their orthodox religion and those who wished to retain their individuality and original culture, who warp in units and structures through a dimensional rift... nope, nothing like Eldar.

Space elves aren't exactly something 40k came up with, but Blizzard and GW were drawing from the same general inspiration.

Yeah well you know more about Starcraft and 40k lore than I do so I win. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veyrall posted:

Actually, isn't the whole "Bad guy was actually forced evil by this other, badder guy" ripped straight out of WoW? I always wondered why they bothered doing that, since I was okay with the orcs just being total assholes before Thrall showed up and dooming themselves.

Because Metzen doesn't like the idea of a bad guy/evil race being bad and evil because they are bad and evil.

• Locked thread