Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

So I was comparing the new helms to the old lovely purple helm I was wearing to see if it had stats worth keeping around for crucible, and discovered that they apparently changed the wording on some perks, but inexplicably it is on a per item basis instead of per perk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Viper915 posted:

So I was comparing the new helms to the old lovely purple helm I was wearing to see if it had stats worth keeping around for crucible, and discovered that they apparently changed the wording on some perks, but inexplicably it is on a per item basis instead of per perk?

If that is true, that means they don't have a system where items exist on a database, and adding a perk to a weapon is a simple INSERT in some table with id_weapon, id_perk. It means a lot of stuff is hardcoded and written by hand. So is possible to have bugs like a weapon have a nominal damage of 300 but having a real damage of 390. Or to have a weapon with a perk, and having the perk does nothing, or the description be completelly different to what the perk actually do. We have not observed that type of bugs, so perhaps their system is a bit better and bans that type of stuff, so has to be some ad-hoc hybrid between how a database organize information, and hardcoding data in text files. Maybe a bunch of xml files that are "compiled" into raw C++ classes.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Avalanche posted:

No one is running VoG, so no way to get shards that way.

I still have 2 underleveled characters, (three if you count that my titan is only 29) and still need shards and strange coins, so I'll probably be available still for VoGs and weeklies.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

VoLaTiLe posted:

I sold my Destiny to a guy at work for £40 last week after convincing him it was really good.

I'm a bad work colleague :smuggo: :shepspends:

Why? You told him the truth. :v:
Destiny is good, it's the ongoing support that is sometimes so-so.

edit vvv that's true vvv

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Avalanche posted:

Any tips on getting out of the level 27 hole? Getting vanguard purple gear isn't that bad, but getting the shards to upgrade it sure as hell is. I feel like i'm stuck since I have only 1 shard, no way to upgrade anything, and no way to get more shards.

No one is running VoG, so no way to get shards that way. 27 is a little low for VoG anyways. I'm not high enough to do the level 30 daily for +2 ascendant materials. Public events rarely give me shards as rewards and Bungie took away the public event ascendant material care package you get for completing a pub event.

So I guess I'm stuck running daily missions every single day and doing a fuckton of strikes for marks to disassemble purple armor for shards? Awesome. I really want to play the new raid with my friends, but it doesn't seem like there's a way I can reasonably get to 30 for it without grinding grinding grinding.

Go here http://destinypublicevents.com/ and do lots of public events.

Edit: Actually care packages are back so I don't think you get anything from the actual event any more. You'll get something for first event after the daily reset though. If you got a couple more characters you can do them daily.

Double edit: Did a public event not long ago and received two shards straight away, also got the care package back at the tower. Looks like you can still get random drops after the events.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Tei posted:

If that is true, that means they don't have a system where items exist on a database, and adding a perk to a weapon is a simple INSERT in some table with id_weapon, id_perk. It means a lot of stuff is hardcoded and written by hand. So is possible to have bugs like a weapon have a nominal damage of 300 but having a real damage of 390. Or to have a weapon with a perk, and having the perk does nothing, or the description be completelly different to what the perk actually do. We have not observed that type of bugs, so perhaps their system is a bit better and bans that type of stuff, so has to be some ad-hoc hybrid between how a database organize information, and hardcoding data in text files. Maybe a bunch of xml files that are "compiled" into raw C++ classes.

Didn't we see exactly that kind of bug when none of Icebreaker's perks did anything for the first couple months?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
this weeks nightfall is brutal goddamn. cleared it once by us standing up in that room up to the right, and so so so so close so many times on my second character. anyone have any pro nightfall gaming tips and strats?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I just got a Badger CCL drop from the weekly strike. It's one of the new vanguard scout rifles. It's got the following mods:

"One random bullet in the magazine causes considerable bonus damage."

"Kills with this weapon reduce the cooldown of your grenade."

Is this ok for a scout rifle? The magazine holds 14 bullets so it seems like the first mod would be better on a hand cannon...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SBJ posted:

I just got a Badger CCL drop from the weekly strike. It's one of the new vanguard scout rifles. It's got the following mods:

"One random bullet in the magazine causes considerable bonus damage."

"Kills with this weapon reduce the cooldown of your grenade."

Is this ok for a scout rifle? The magazine holds 14 bullets so it seems like the first mod would be better on a hand cannon...

Meh. The crucible vendor scout rifle has outlaw and firefly on it by default. That's a good scout rifle. That one, I dunno. Kinda meh.

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

my new dog posted:

this weeks nightfall is brutal goddamn. cleared it once by us standing up in that room up to the right, and so so so so close so many times on my second character. anyone have any pro nightfall gaming tips and strats?

Titan flashbangs will leave the boss sitting there doing nothing for a few seconds if your aim is good enough

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tei posted:

You don't know what you're talking about, or you're making a ton of assumptions that don't make sense.

Both perks exist side by side, but only the "new" perks are available in the new weapons' pools. There's probably a weapon type that controls weapon damage, scaling and limits perk pools and the new weapon is literally displaying a totally different perk than the old one, that happens to do the same thing.

edit: Now I'm making assumptions.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

Both perks exist side by side, but only the "new" perks are available in the new weapons' pools. There's probably a weapon type that controls weapon damage, scaling and limits perk pools and the new weapon is literally displaying a totally different perk than the old one, that happens to do the same thing.

This sounds reasonable enough, could be true :D

---

This video shows how to get the first chest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7NtF-ThC8

Seems easy enough, and can be soloed, I am going to do it with my 3 characters.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 10, 2014

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

applebane posted:

Titan flashbangs will leave the boss sitting there doing nothing for a few seconds if your aim is good enough

What about bubble + saint 14 blindness perk + titan fist?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FishBulb posted:

Meh. The crucible vendor scout rifle has outlaw and firefly on it by default. That's a good scout rifle. That one, I dunno. Kinda meh.

I'm also wondering how viable the disabling grenade from Defender would be. That room is small enough that the explosion could hit the boss and his adds pretty easily.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

In general, the DLC is more destiny which is a fun game I like to play, and it fixes numerous grindy things by overall reducing how much you have to grind mats and dividing up raid gear from regular gear so you can upgrade to 31 worry free. The raid is apparently good, and that is the most important part.

That said, without seeing the raid yet, this is one of the laziest DLC's I have seen. 3 missions that all take place in existing areas, with 1-2 rooms bolted on in each case. Of those rooms, rasputin is a reskinned hive chamber from the moon. The new strike on earth is loving garbage in that I had hoped for more new content from a strike then walking through a building we went through in the first 3 missions of the game, and then have replayed multiple times since.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Strikes in general are garbage and you should never do them except Nightfall and Weekly Heroic.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

FishBulb posted:

Strikes in general are garbage and you should never do them except Nightfall and Weekly Heroic.

Too bad we have to do the strike playlist in order to get marks to buy gear if the RNGesus fucks us over :negative:

Before the DLC I could never even get to 30 because I could never get the raid armor. There was literally nothing I could do (Iron Banner didn't sell the chest piece I needed and I was too underlevelled when they did).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Agreed, but a DLC would have been a good chance to change that, instead of putting out a strike lazier then all of the other ones already made.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The new strikes are lazy but I also like the pacing of them. They are short, to the point and filled with combat. The PS exclusive Mars strike feels like a truncated Firefight mode which really plays to Destiny's strengths: shooting.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That said, without seeing the raid yet, this is one of the laziest DLC's I have seen. 3 missions that all take place in existing areas, with 1-2 rooms bolted on in each case. Of those rooms, rasputin is a reskinned hive chamber from the moon. The new strike on earth is loving garbage in that I had hoped for more new content from a strike then walking through a building we went through in the first 3 missions of the game, and then have replayed multiple times since.

Lazy was the same word I kept thinking as I went through each mission. Someone really, really liked placing spawn points for Thralls in these missions, particularly in the bunker where I sat at the bottom of that large staircase and just shot down something like 8-10 waves of them. I thought it was a bug or design choice that'd just constantly respawn until I went all the way up the stairs but nope, they just put that many of them there.

At least I got a chuckle when I turned in the last mission.

"Thank you Guardian, you have saved humanity. The entire world is in your debt. No one would survive if not for your actions on this day!"

"Your reputation rank is 0.25 :smuggo: go kill some random Knights for a week and maybe you can buy an emblem."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Agreed, but a DLC would have been a good chance to change that, instead of putting out a strike lazier then all of the other ones already made.

I'm not expecting them to change anything in dlc. DLC is just gunna be more of the same. Change might come in a sequel.

Maybe.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I really would not be surprised if this DLC was all cut content from the base game that some exec ordered moved last April or something.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
So last night I did the nightfall on my Warlock and got the new Exotic armor Starfire Protocol! Awesome right? well I don't know what the point of it is exactly. I haven't been able to level it up to it's titular perk but it says that it grants me an extra fusion grenade. Does this mean I would have three grenades or that I would not have to perk for 2 grenades anymore as long as I have fusion equipped? I would link the armor but I'm at work and can't access game related sites.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I really would not be surprised if this DLC was all cut content from the base game that some exec ordered moved last April or something.

considering its in the base download and on the disk.....

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Today's Heroic Mission involves Phalanxes who don't flinch. Simple solution: scan thing at beginning, run past everyone else in the level till the last room, kill guys, spawn boss, unload entire heavy solar MG clip into boss, finish with super. :v:

Seriously, though, those Phalanx are annoying.

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

limaCAT posted:

What about bubble + saint 14 blindness perk + titan fist?

if you can get close enough without getting murdered, then sure

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

AAB posted:

considering its in the base download and on the disk.....

There was a 2 gig patch last week.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Anyone know if the new exotic warlock helmet called "The Ram" is in this expansion? It might be in the next one. It's perk is that it blinds/disorients enemies when you resurrect yourself from the dead. It seems like the ultimate PVP troll.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I have been playing this game casually thus far and would like to attempt some of the weekly strikes/Nightfall (have not done so far).

If anyone would like to get together and play, I am usually on around 8:30ish EST

PSN - JohnnyUtah06 (PS4)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Cultisto posted:

"Thank you Guardian, you have saved humanity. The entire world is in your debt. No one would survive if not for your actions on this day!"

"Your reputation rank is 0.25 :smuggo: go kill some random Knights for a week and maybe you can buy an emblem."
This is definitely an MMO thing. You just killed a god and took his spleen. Now collect 45 bags of soup from goats in a separate area and we'll talk.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I am enjoying this expansion because it's More poo poo to Do, while acknowledging that it needed a little more. I was expecting at least as much story as the first chapter of Earth missions and we didn't get that. A bunch of Thorn styled bounties are good, but for them to be the main focus is disappointing. I know the strike and raid are technically the story, but there should have been at least a few more chapters. Still enjoying it and am going to do it with all my characters though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I really like the new raid so far but I'm sad that finishing normal mode is effectively locked behind getting to level 31

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you haven't bought the expansions yet there's a guy in SA mart selling it heavily discounted. $26 for both.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So where is the best place to fight the new Nightfall boss? When we did the mission regular last night we sort of set up shop in the hallway that leads to his room. We'd deal with the adds then push up and do damage til adds spawned again and repeat. I used the ledge above the hallway to deal with adds when they got too thick but Arc Burn doesn't really give you a lot of room to make mistakes this week.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Levantine posted:

So where is the best place to fight the new Nightfall boss? When we did the mission regular last night we sort of set up shop in the hallway that leads to his room. We'd deal with the adds then push up and do damage til adds spawned again and repeat. I used the ledge above the hallway to deal with adds when they got too thick but Arc Burn doesn't really give you a lot of room to make mistakes this week.

That's pretty much it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Was there confirmation that leveling up a faction results in a Crucible commendation?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Was there confirmation that leveling up a faction results in a Crucible commendation?

Yes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I really like the new raid so far but I'm sad that finishing normal mode is effectively locked behind getting to level 31

Pft, look at this guy who got raid boots last night but didn't get super lucky and get a 33 light chest from a blue engram and have enough to buy the 33 light helm and gloves to hit 31 :smug:

(I still need to level them to actually do that, though)

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

FishBulb posted:

There was a 2 gig patch last week.

Did it retroactively patch in all of the DLC locations that people already exploited into in the world months ago and the map of all future DLC missions someone glitched into back in October?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Tomahawk posted:

Did it retroactively patch in all of the DLC locations that people already exploited into in the world months ago and the map of all future DLC missions someone glitched into back in October?

People were exploiting the Rasputin area (Seraphim whatever) in the Beta!

• Locked thread