Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hi, welcome to the internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Bismuth posted:

Curvy Girl's guide to STYLE Is it just me or are all of those outfits incredibly unflattering?

Also the uniform:

When did this faux 50s retro/hipster look become the Fat Positive uniform? Why do so many of them dye their hair really awfully so it looks like fried out poo poo? Why?

this loving bettie page rockabilly stepford wife look is so goddamn stupid looking on them and yet they love it so much, i can't believe it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Bismuth posted:

Curvy Girl's guide to STYLE Is it just me or are all of those outfits incredibly unflattering?

Also the uniform:

When did this faux 50s retro/hipster look become the Fat Positive uniform? Why do so many of them dye their hair really awfully so it looks like fried out poo poo? Why?

they look like obese clowns

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I wonder what percentage of these people immediately drop all this poo poo when they're in a country like Saudi Arabia or India (or even just outside their own country/home). I literally cannot imagine them screaming at the locals about pronouns, misogyny or oppression.

Argh
Feb 15, 2005

only way anyone is getting up in her guts is to survive a night on Hoth

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

RAGE HOLE posted:

Anyway, my point is it is a safe bet that people in those wheelchairs have it lovely and the obese ones would probably very much agree that they need to lose weight.

Welcome to DUMBLR where that is not true at all and you are more likely to find the obisons that need to lose weight screaming about oppression if you so much at hint at the idea that eating mcds 5 times a day might be unnecessary.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Argh posted:

only way anyone is getting up in her guts is to survive a night on Hoth

I thought they smelled bad on the outside!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

my pronouns are sim/sim/salabim

me too

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

baby, there's folds outside

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

my pronouns are sim/sim/salabim

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

School Nickname posted:

I wonder what percentage of these people immediately drop all this poo poo when they're in a country like Saudi Arabia or India (or even just outside their own country/home). I literally cannot imagine them screaming at the locals about pronouns, misogyny or oppression.

on the off chance that tumblr people leave their house they dont even actually confront other affluent white people over this poo poo, they just stew until they get home then write a microaggressions post about it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

dads a mall cop posted:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

dads a mall cop posted:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Bismuth posted:

Also the uniform:

yeah, pick the tackiest poo poo, that'll help

it's like dazzle camouflage, makes it harder to estimate the size and distance of the object visually at nautical distances.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I think something is missing from this Venn Diagram, but I don't know what... :aatrek:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

quote:

hate that ppl are really mean to godkin/deitykin/angelkin/demonkin and constantly judge them like im p sure theyre the least favourite of the kin community. like whats ur problem with us???

someone please translate for me. What is dietykin? Someone who thinks they're a partial deity?(this totally has nothing to do with being a special snowflake)

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think something is missing from this Venn Diagram, but I don't know what... :aatrek:

If dogs had a governing council or something, crash's euthanization would probably be ruled as less of a killing and more of a release

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

someone please translate for me. What is dietykin? Someone who thinks they're a partial deity?(this totally has nothing to do with being a special snowflake)

it is the new way of expressing teenage angst

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

generative grammer posted:

50s Pin-up girls were ~curvy women~ instead of the modern twig-like models

It's also mindboggingly popular among Strong Independent Ladies even though the style is from an age when your husband could rape you legally

NOTE: "Curvy" by the conventional definition, not the Tumblr one meaning ">300lbs"

They're trying to emulate Marilyn Monroe but they'd still weigh more than two of her as opposed to weighing more than three modern models (Marilyn's highest recorded weight was 140 pounds, at 5'6.5")

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I know just as well as anyone else how annoying non-self-aware nerds and/or people into "geek culture" can be (see: this goddamn thread) but the phrase "geek privilege" still makes me roll my eyes all the way out of my head. Literally. I am literally blind now.

Seriously, somebody name me some geek privileges. Being able to rattle off Battlestar Galactica plot summaries from memory by season and episode number? People only making fun of you for smelling terrible instead of being confused about it? Knowing enough about <x scifi thing> to post in online forums dedicated to it and enjoy the scintillating company therein?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Noyemi K posted:

it's like dazzle camouflage, makes it harder to estimate the size and distance of the object visually at nautical distances.

So having been exposed to this poo poo at some point two or so years ago, it basically boils down to "Fat people are ignored by society because we are considered to be horrendously ugly = I am raging against the machine and have radically chosen to love my fat body exactly how it is and refuse to change it for any reason whatsoever = I am going to wear what I want and dress up how I want = I am going to wear loud, attention getting outfits and lots of makeup and whatnot because society tells me that fat people shouldn't wear stuff like that."

Really, after reading so many "Fat positive" blogs on Tumblr, it's really a case of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." BBW bloggers on Tumblr don't go on daily screeds about how they're "So happy with their body and just LOVE their curves and omg their jiggle just turns them on so much!!!", they just post naked pictures and get on with their lives. I've never read a fat-positive blogger that doesn't come across as having crippling internal anxiety and depression about their own body. The desperation is obvious about a mile away.

PS goddamn I miss the Fat Is Beautiful thread.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Geek privilege is being able to remember every minute detail about how X-Wings work?

I don't know. :shrug:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Also wasnt star trek actually really progressive for the time w/r/t race? Lol

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Also wasnt star trek actually really progressive for the time w/r/t race? Lol

yeah, hell shatner kisses a black woman in it on 1960's television

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"Geek privilege" is pretty silly-sounding, but it's meant to be the opposite experience from [being called a "fake geek girl"].

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

"Geek privilege" is pretty silly-sounding, but it's meant to be the opposite experience from [being called a "fake geek girl"].

In other words it's male privilege, but with an implicit signifier that the speaker really really wants that sweet sweet geek cred?

e: I remember someone in the Reddit thread made posts to the effect that he never felt like he was allowed to like video games as a kid because he was "the wrong kind of Asian", in order to argue that video games are a white male privilege. Even in the more-SJW-ish mode I was in at the time all I could think was that I'd never met a South-Asian-American guy of my generation who didn't love video games in my life.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 10, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

So having been exposed to this poo poo at some point two or so years ago, it basically boils down to "Fat people are ignored by society because we are considered to be horrendously ugly = I am raging against the machine and have radically chosen to love my fat body exactly how it is and refuse to change it for any reason whatsoever = I am going to wear what I want and dress up how I want = I am going to wear loud, attention getting outfits and lots of makeup and whatnot because society tells me that fat people shouldn't wear stuff like that."

Really, after reading so many "Fat positive" blogs on Tumblr, it's really a case of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." BBW bloggers on Tumblr don't go on daily screeds about how they're "So happy with their body and just LOVE their curves and omg their jiggle just turns them on so much!!!", they just post naked pictures and get on with their lives. I've never read a fat-positive blogger that doesn't come across as having crippling internal anxiety and depression about their own body. The desperation is obvious about a mile away.

PS goddamn I miss the Fat Is Beautiful thread.

Good rule of thumb is that the more they talk about themselves, the more insecure they are about it. "Nonono I actually LOVE my curves. I mean I can't do anything to change them, it's the lot genetics has cast. Skinny bitches don't know what they're missing out on. I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable. etc. etc. etc."

The few "fat and happy" people I know would be happy regardless of their weight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am a white cishet man and I shave my armpits. Is it enough to make my own gender and pronouns?

So far, I think pronouns that describe me the best are HE/HIS/HIM (capitalised when written and either shouted on top of one's lungs or spelled when talking about me).

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bismuth posted:

I think its usually like 'he/him/himself' but they replace it to be bun or kit or pony or whatever animal/thing they think they are that week, some of them I think go past animals into objects and poo poo too.

I find this all really confusing. Its ableist! :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

loquacius posted:

In other words it's male privilege, but with an implicit signifier that the speaker really really wants that sweet sweet geek cred?

It's just a really specific intersection of other characteristics (male, white or east-asian, ages 13 to 40, etc.) that add up to "no one will question my Geek Cred". Not Wu's finest rhetorical hour, but nothing TOO outrageous, really.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Snuffman posted:

I find this all really confusing. Its ableist! :mad:

some otherkin nutjob actually did call me abelist and racist for once pointing out on tumblr that otherkin trying to use trans people to legitimize themselves is kind of damaging and belittling.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Lunixnerd posted:

Welcome to DUMBLR where that is not true at all and you are more likely to find the obisons that need to lose weight screaming about oppression if you so much at hint at the idea that eating mcds 5 times a day might be unnecessary.

There is a good principle behind fat positivity--that making fat folks feel bad doesn't help them, and fat folks should try feel good about themselves. Positive attitudes have been shown to provide the most supportive and successful environment for getting healthy and losing weight. Depressed fat people are more likely to give up, internalize the belief that they are hopeless and weak, and eat whatever they want/lie around all day. Fat people who feel good about themselves don't feel ashamed to get out the house, walk places, exercise at the gym, make an invested effort on their bodies.

What is stupid is fat positive advocates pushing everyone to pretend being fat is healthy and ideal. But even among folks who want to buy into that, I really suspect most of them know better.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dads a mall cop posted:

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Also something really loving terrible; I just found out that infamous tumblr boogieman plebcomics got doxxed and lost her job from people calling her work for posting anti-SJW political cartoons, all spurred on by this person. I disagree with her often and she's made some comics that pissed me off, but I could always concede that her point about tumblr sjw folks being incapable of tolerating dissent was on target. Plus I like her cartooning style.

But I guess one of her screamy SJW characters came to life and got her fired. What an embarrassment.

RAGE HOLE fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 10, 2014

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

Bismuth posted:

Also the uniform:

All their lips look like puffy assholes. I guess they are relaxing their lower jaw to hide multi-chins.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It's just a really specific intersection of other characteristics (male, white or east-asian, ages 13 to 40, etc.) that add up to "no one will question my Geek Cred". Not Wu's finest rhetorical hour, but nothing TOO outrageous, really.

then how the gently caress is that "geek privilege" to begin with? Isn't "geek cred" a symptom of other intersecting privileges, not a privilege on its own?

Also Star Trek was incredibly progressive for its time as others noted. If you want to say that the Star Trek fandom is belittling to women sure but Star Trek itself is anything but.

My point is that Brianna Wu is an idiot

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RAGE HOLE posted:

Also something really loving terrible; I just found out that infamous tumblr boogieman plebcomics got doxxed and lost her job from people calling her work for posting anti-SJW political cartoons, all spurred on by this person. I disagree with her often and she's made some comics that pissed me off, but I could always concede that her point about tumblr sjw folks being incapable of tolerating dissent was on target. Plus I like her cartooning style.

But I guess one of her screamy SJW characters came to life and got her fired. What an embarrassment.

actually its about promoting inclusiveness

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

RAGE HOLE posted:

Also something really loving terrible; I just found out that infamous tumblr boogieman plebcomics got doxxed and lost her job from people calling her work for posting anti-SJW political cartoons. I disagree with her often and she's made some comics that pissed me off, but I could always concede that her point about tumblr sjw folks being incapable of tolerating dissent was on target. Plus I like her cartooning style.

Ferguson's made tumblr a lot more brazen lately and they've also been upping the ante with communismkills by going after her mom, which generally means calling her a kike and letting her know you're going to rape her jew nostrils on facebook

it's also mysteriously the one instance where they'll admit some women actually are asking for it

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

DoctorWhat posted:

Your geek cred is always in question and must constantly be proven.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Segmentation Fault posted:

actually its about promoting inclusiveness

I get the impression from plebdox that they were more mad about other things but that could just be them trying to distract from a more bullshit reason like gamergate opinions. Whatever. Doxxing somebody for their doodles is shamefully stupid and disgraceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

tumblr, my abusive ex boyfriend who pays for my food and housing refuses to give me money to go see my new boyfriend

• Locked thread