Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if you are handicapped and some company isn't set up as the law would dictate to help you in other countries there is a government office you can call and they will deal with it, in the US it just opens the company to be sued and a specific individual needs to sue them.

http://www.eeoc.gov/
http://www.justice.gov/

still wrong and gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sexy young infidel posted:

cor m8 me dogs are dying out here and theres still 13 stairs to go... blimey won't sommat call the govment

her majesty's disability service will review your claim and get back to you. in the meantime, please sod off

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

TOILETLORD posted:

if you can prove your neighbor threw out your mail they can get 10 years in federal prison.

That is stealing though. Mail is your property and that right should be defended however, 10 years is harsh. A fine and a bit of jail time would be perfectly acceptable.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

That is stealing though. Mail is your property and that right should be defended however, 10 years is harsh. A fine and a bit of jail time would be perfectly acceptable.

the law is from the 1800's

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wizgot posted:

that's the maximum, most people will not get 10 years unless theres some real hosed up reason (and even then nobody actually serves their full sentence)

also important legal poo poo is still conducted via mail, stealing mails is bad.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Dick Fagballzson posted:

190 degrees is a pretty standard brewing temp for coffee. My Keurig actually brews hotter than that. And I think I'm hitting closer to 200 when I get water to near boiling for my French press. Still sounds super frivolous and like the woman was just out for a payday over something stupid. And now she gets money she didn't deserve and everyone gets lovely cold coffee because of a dumb lawsuit and because she can't hold a cup like a normal person.

she was burned bad enough she needed skin grafts

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

the law is from the 1800's

This is getting off topic. The freaking constitution is from the 1700's. So what. If a law is old and works, it works. It's not like its one of those stupid laws where women aren't allowed to drive in a house coat, whatever that is.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Also this. Lawsuits being used as a solution to socioeconomic problems that other countries address with social programs. Also other countries tend to have agencies in place that deal with protecting consumers from getting screwed over by companies. The result is fewer lawsuits because some government agency or program deals with it instead.

theres actual government agencies that do that here, too. dude doesnt know what the hell he's talkign about

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

190 degrees is a pretty standard brewing temp for coffee. My Keurig actually brews hotter than that. And I think I'm hitting closer to 200 when I get water to near boiling for my French press. Still sounds super frivolous and like the woman was just out for a payday over something stupid. And now she gets money she didn't deserve and everyone gets lovely cold coffee because of a dumb lawsuit and because she can't hold a cup like a normal person.

Brewing, yes. Serving? No. If you drink boiling coffee I'm gonna be drat impressed.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Dick Fagballzson posted:

as a fellow keurig enthusiast i too hold mcdonalds coffee to a higher standard

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

This is getting off topic. The freaking constitution is from the 1700's. So what. If a law is old and works, it works. It's not like its one of those stupid laws where women aren't allowed to drive in a house coat, whatever that is.

my point is that we need people to actively review all our laws, once they hit a certain age since the judicial branch don't seem to care.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

Well if you're too retarded to hold a cup properly that's what happens. It's like suing a car company because you're a lovely driver and get into a car accident.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

Due to her age and how bad the burns were the doctors even thought she would die from her injuries initially. She never fully recovered and died not very long after the lawsuit closed up (and instead of millions i think she only a few hundred grand).

Hell, when she first approached McDonald's all she wanted were her medical bills covered and a pledge to brew their coffee at a lower temperature, iirc they pretty much told her to get hosed and that's when the lawsuit escalated.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

univbee posted:

Due to her age and how bad the burns were the doctors even thought she would die from her injuries initially. She never fully recovered and died not very long after the lawsuit closed up (and instead of millions i think she only a few hundred grand).

Hell, when she first approached McDonald's all she wanted were her medical bills covered and a pledge to brew their coffee at a lower temperature, iirc they pretty much told her to get hosed and that's when the lawsuit escalated.

Why should they have to cover her medical bills because she can't hold a cup properly? I would have told her to get hosed too.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

univbee posted:

the first thing you do is tell anyone who isn't immediate family is get hosed, if they ask for money.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
yes these are examples of those lottery "extreme" lawsuits guys

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Mange Mite posted:

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[2] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices.

well when you have served 100 billion customers, 700 is like .00000000000000000000001 of the customer base so he is correct.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
I work for an investigation firm that films claimants doing poo poo that completely refutes their alleged injuries. Even when we have solid evidence that their claim is bullshit, they'll still get paid. Maybe just $20K instead of $200K. The problem is that proving someone isn't that hurt (which is used to negotiate a smaller settlement in mediation) is not the same as proving intentional fraud. So there's rarely ever a criminal penalty for pulling this poo poo, and probably a couple grand in it for you, even if it doesn't work.
So, as an investigator, even when we win, it doesn't matter. My job is super depressing.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

That's not that many people given the numbers mcdonalds serves. Also sounds like people got a lot of money they didn't really deserve because they weren't careful with a hot drink. Being a retard doesn't entitle you to money.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
I'd like to sue myself for only getting $7 from the clearwire class action suit

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

That's not that many people given the numbers mcdonalds serves. Also sounds like people got a lot of money they didn't really deserve because they weren't careful with a hot drink. Being a retard doesn't entitle you to money.

Uh yes it does it gets you housing and food.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

It's because nobody want's to man up and be responsible for their own actions anymore.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

deviler posted:

In Canada you can always tell when a TV channel is American-based because at least half the ads are for lawyers. GET THE MONEY YOU DESERVE. SUE TODAY!

especially when that is followed by the money companys that will buy your settlement and you can get cash money now Now NOW! and even if you lose you getto keep the money!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

BluPotato posted:

It's because nobody want's to man up and be responsible for their own actions anymore.

dude that cost money.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

lol didn't that mcdonalds also give that lady the wrong size lid? they should have boiled her alive in the coffee pot

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Well if you're too retarded to hold a cup properly that's what happens. It's like suing a car company because you're a lovely driver and get into a car accident.

She was an old lady. I also believe she got it while in the drive through, although I'm not too sure.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Why should they have to cover her medical bills because she can't hold a cup properly?

Nothing can go wrong giving an old person I don't know a cheap container whose contents can fuse their orifices shut while they're in a moving vehicle! :v:

People can and do successfully sue in circumstances where they were slapstick-style clumsy if the company was themselves also negligent.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

theres actual government agencies that do that here, too. dude doesnt know what the hell he's talkign about

Yeah there are government agencies that might do something if like thousands of people are being ripped off, but if you are an individual being screwed over by a business or your employer you pretty much have to sue them. It's not like there is some office you can call up and say "hey I worked 40 hours but was only paid for 30" and have anyone give a poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

City of Tampa posted:

Yeah there are government agencies that might do something if like thousands of people are being ripped off, but if you are an individual being screwed over by a business or your employer you pretty much have to sue them. It's not like there is some office you can call up and say "hey I worked 40 hours but was only paid for 30" and have anyone give a poo poo.

these exist too. also enlightened topless europe isnt actually that different, nobody gives a poo poo anywhere.

dude gets such basic poo poo wrong its clear he doesnt know what hes talkign about and im not going to humor a retard for being sort of right by accident if he doesnt actually know whats going on at all

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

well, you're right, except for that exact example where yes even an individual can totally gently caress over a company for that. but in general, yes

that and lunch rules.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Lunch is approaching, let's sue some sandwhiches

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sexy young infidel posted:

Lunch is approaching, let's sue some sandwhiches

sustained

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This is a myth. Most "insignificant stupid things" are actually pretty serious, but PR departments spin it to make the claimant look crazy. (See McDonalds hot coffee incident). This gets congress crying about "tort reform" which basically means "rich corporations should be able to act with impunity"

what he said. people made fun of the mcdonald's hot coffee lawsuit, but that old lady prtty much had her wrinkly old vagina burned off.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

these exist too. also enlightened topless europe isnt actually that different, nobody gives a poo poo anywhere.

dude gets such basic poo poo wrong its clear he doesnt know what hes talkign about and im not going to humor a retard for being sort of right by accident if he doesnt actually know whats going on at all

Cool. I like your argument style of "you are wrong just because". And who cares about Europe?

1gnoirents posted:

well, you're right, except for that exact example where yes even an individual can totally gently caress over a company for that. but in general, yes

that and lunch rules.

Please direct me to the government agency that does things about individuals being ripped off by their employers. I'm not talking about situations where hundreds or thousands of employees are being ripped off; show me the number to call if I'm not getting paid for hours I work.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
do you mean the labor board for your state. You need some lunch, you're not thinking clearly

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mange Mite posted:

that was not a request for you to poo poo thigns up more, fuckface

holy lol your care levels need to be chilled

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

if you're looking for frivolous lawsuits, there was a case somewhere in the midwest where two drunk teens were lighting fireworks inside their car ont he highway while speeding and got into a head on collision with someone driving in the opposite lane. So we're talking 140+ mph worth of damage to two cars. obviously everybody died

so they got Skeeter from the local auto shop to testify that Hyundai's steering knuckle broke and caused the accident. Of course there was no proof, or even the idea of proof, except that there was a broken steering knuckle... because everything was broken. the engine was broken. the wheels were broken. the steering knuckle on the other car was broken (pontiac though!). hyundai proved that even if it did fail, it would turn you to the right and not the left by design - not that it did fail. but that evidence was thrown out... for some reason, because it was irrelevant. in the end the jury awarded the family 200+ million dollars

hyundai told them to get hosed of course but its ongoing if you want to follow a "broken" case

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dick Fagballzson posted:

if you rear end someone and your car explodes, i suppose you shouldnt have been such an idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

if you rear end someone and your car explodes, i suppose you shouldnt have been such an idiot?

doesn't work like that since what and individual does and what a company does are not comparable.

• Locked thread