Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

deebo posted:

Yeah still have the problem if I clear amazon video data clear cache reboot and go straight to amazon movies. Tried setting xbmc to software rendering and a bunch of other suggestions that apparently fixed the problem for other people but so far nothing has worked. I can watch the instant video fine on pc so I dont think it should be a network issue?.

My guess would be software needs to be updated. If you have a rooted device, can't you get one of the pre-rooted updated versions of the software that you can flash through recovery if you've got that set up too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

I could do but last I heard a few people were having issues with netflix and xbmc on some newer versions? I think I am on 51.1.1.0_user_511070220

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Fire Stick is coming tomorrow. I was originally quoted mid January. Two weeks ago, they updated it to Dec 24. Yesterday they updated it to next Monday. Today I got the notice it has shipped.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any real difference between the Fire Stick and the Fire TV other than price? I already own a FireTV but i'm looking to get either or as a present, I don't have to worry about rootable etc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Abu Dave posted:

Is there any real difference between the Fire Stick and the Fire TV other than price? I already own a FireTV but i'm looking to get either or as a present, I don't have to worry about rootable etc.

Fire TV comes with the voice remote, has more game support, a free USB port, (oh yeah ethernet port), double the processor power and double the RAM. Whether that's worth the extra money is up to you.

I don't think the Stick has been rooted yet but root isn't that important.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 12, 2014

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The ethernet port is a big deal if your wifi sucks.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't think the Stick has been rooted yet but root isn't that important.
it has but it requires soldering an adapter onto the flash so that you can read and write to it as though it were removable storage on a pc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

adorai posted:

it has but it requires soldering an adapter onto the flash so that you can read and write to it as though it were removable storage on a pc.

I think this is also the same as the regular FireTV, but the chance of bricking is like 95%

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think this is also the same as the regular FireTV, but the chance of bricking is like 95%
honestly the firetv is so awesome as is, with the default GUI + sideload ability, I have zero desire to root either of mine. I'm probably even going to get a stick for my bedroom (replacing an ATV1 running xbmc).

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

Is there any easy way to load roms off a network share for xbmc rom collection browser? At the moment I am just using a usb stick

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deebo posted:

Is there any easy way to load roms off a network share for xbmc rom collection browser? At the moment I am just using a usb stick
Does it just use XBMC's network share handling? If it does then anything in here ought to work: http://kodi.wiki/view/File_sharing http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_sources

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

deebo posted:

ES File Explorer is what a lot of people use over at xda

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

adorai posted:

honestly the firetv is so awesome as is, with the default GUI + sideload ability, I have zero desire to root either of mine. I'm probably even going to get a stick for my bedroom (replacing an ATV1 running xbmc).

Only thing I actually want to do that requires root is give myself an actual XBMC icon. Llama is good, but a real icon is better!

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Only thing I actually want to do that requires root is give myself an actual XBMC icon. Llama is good, but a real icon is better!

If you install this apk it shows all apps in the app menu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android/ref=mas_rw_ldg

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

deebo posted:

If you install this apk it shows all apps in the app menu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android/ref=mas_rw_ldg

I'm confused; is this just the amazon app store?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If there is some kind of blank app that has either the XBMC or Kodi logo that I could then use Llama for, well that would be neat.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

I love ES File Explorer but.. if you try to just open a file from your network share, what it actually does is just download to a temporary location THEN open it. So, like, nothing has been accomplished in terms of "streaming" the content.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

I haven't tried Dreamcast yet but my M8 box (sorry I keep on harping about these things) plays n64 and other emus very smoothly.

Just quoting myself to say I played SegaGT on Reicast last night for a good 30 minutes with no crashing and a constant of >30 fps. M8 4 lyfe bro.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've got a Fire TV problem. I bought two already and two sticks and I just bought a Fire TV for my brother for Christmas. If you're on the fence about it, get one, they are a great product. I've finally been able to retire my boxee.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I have a different Fire TV problem, my Fire TV Stick won't stay connected to my wifi. I haven't really had the time to troubleshoot it but it's kind of annoying. It's near the router and I live in a rural area with almost no other wifi networks to cause that sort of interference. Maybe it just doesn't being in close proximity to a few other wifi devices (TV, two consoles). Never had this issue with any other device on my network though.

edit: I have an Asus RT N-16 set on WPA2 within about 20-30 feet of my TV setup on ipv4 and using google dns since comcast has been having dns problems in my area (or had I haven't turned it off after half the internet didn't work for a little bit until I changed my dns)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 12, 2014

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've had something similar happen a couple of times - the stick is in the same room as the router and works fine, until it loses connectivity for no reason. Can't rejoin the network (or it says 'limited connectivity'), but restarting the stick has gotten it going again each time so far (waiting overnight did nothing.)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gozinbulx posted:

Just quoting myself to say I played SegaGT on Reicast last night for a good 30 minutes with no crashing and a constant of >30 fps. M8 4 lyfe bro.
A little derail, but these devices are kind of a niche thing anyway: what M8 do you have? I did a quick search since you mentioned it and there seem to be a lot of different models.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

CrashCat posted:

A little derail, but these devices are kind of a niche thing anyway: what M8 do you have? I did a quick search since you mentioned it and there seem to be a lot of different models.

I believe the standard ~$90 one on amazon (with prime) is a genuine OEM one. Not the ones with stupid brandnames like keedox or diatoec (though those may be fine for all I know)

This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JDCO22I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418418924&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 12, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can the stick accept USB input through the power plug?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
What sort of USB hub do I need for plugging poo poo into the Stick, anyway? Maybe a coupler to the power cable would make it work with the usual USB ports?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Can the stick accept USB input through the power plug?

According to this, no.

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-will-not-accept-a-usb-keyboard-or-mouse/

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Got a Fire TV stick recently to give as a gift, have a few questions:
1. XBMC or SPMC? (ease of use is a concern)
2. Can the stick handle SNES/Genesis emulators?
3. Can the normal Fire and/or the stick handle two gamepads for two player games?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

catch22 posted:

Got a Fire TV stick recently to give as a gift, have a few questions:
1. XBMC or SPMC? (ease of use is a concern)
2. Can the stick handle SNES/Genesis emulators?
3. Can the normal Fire and/or the stick handle two gamepads for two player games?

1: SPMC. It has a number of Android specific fixes over regular XBMC. Use this keymap for the remote.

2: It shouldn't have any problem with either provided you don't go crazy and turn on HQ2X or something ridiculous.

3: They can both handle it fine.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jadius posted:

1: SPMC. It has a number of Android specific fixes over regular XBMC. Use this keymap for the remote.
I've been extremely happy with kodi on my firetvs. XBMC 13.x performed significantly worse.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jadius posted:

Gonna disagree with this one. There's no real reason to use SPMC over regular XBMC. And you can run into special issues with SPMC like PleXBMC trying to cache so much of a movie that it uses all of the internal memory until it starts throws warning errors and slows to a crawl.

(But, yeah, change your keymap)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh sweet, my Stick is being delivered Monday despite the original estimate of January something!

I currently have a boxee box streaming local content from my NAS via SMB shares. Will XBMC support this? I don't care about streaming online content at all.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Gonna disagree with this one. There's no real reason to use SPMC over regular XBMC.

The Fire TV being able to go to sleep correctly counts as a pretty good reason to me, but that really wouldn't be a concern for someone non-rooted that doesn't want XBMC to be the launcher.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh sweet, my Stick is being delivered Monday despite the original estimate of January something!

I currently have a boxee box streaming local content from my NAS via SMB shares. Will XBMC support this? I don't care about streaming online content at all.

This is, like, its main thing. (Yes)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

How? I tried opening one via ES and it just doesn't know what to do with the file. Can you map a network drive that's available in all apps? I just used ES to copy the files over locally.

Are emulators okay to talk about or are they :filez:?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my, a fellow sucker former Boxee Box user. Like he said though loading stuff off SMB should be fine. Back when I had an actual Xbox running XBMC that was basically all I used it for. Just google for XBMC file sources or look at the link I dropped in a previous post and you should be able to find all the details. If it can't keep up with the transfer rate on wireless you could set up something with uPnP on your PC to transcode stuff into a lower rate on the fly. I got the stick for that $20 deal but I'm thinking about just giving it to my sister since I have PCs hooked up to both TVs now.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd like to copy video files on my fire stick so I can bring it over to a friend's house so I can watch them on their TV. I've sideloaded xbmc but I can't find an easy way of copying files over to the stick. What's the best solution to this problem?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd like to copy video files on my fire stick so I can bring it over to a friend's house so I can watch them on their TV. I've sideloaded xbmc but I can't find an easy way of copying files over to the stick. What's the best solution to this problem?

I don't know if you can send files over ADB. Or sideload ESFileExplorer and use that to get the files from your network. Or maybe play them from your phone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Oh my, a fellow sucker former Boxee Box user. Like he said though loading stuff off SMB should be fine. Back when I had an actual Xbox running XBMC that was basically all I used it for. Just google for XBMC file sources or look at the link I dropped in a previous post and you should be able to find all the details. If it can't keep up with the transfer rate on wireless you could set up something with uPnP on your PC to transcode stuff into a lower rate on the fly. I got the stick for that $20 deal but I'm thinking about just giving it to my sister since I have PCs hooked up to both TVs now.

Great thanks!

I love the Boxee Box (original, not the stupid TV one), but the firmware has been unsupported for years now and it is laggy as poo poo now.

A lot of my stuff is 1080p, so I'm worried about the wifi seeing some of these posts.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Stopped by Gamestop yesterday for a BT gamepad and all they had was the Gamestick, which is apparently some failed Android gaming system. They only wanted $16* and being too impatient to wait for something from Amazon I bought it. The Fire TV actually recognizes the GAMESTICK by name, and it seems to function fine with the Fire TV itself. Works fine with GENSoid, but no luck with Snes9x so far. Snes9x only recognizes one button press on the Fire TV remote, and the same goes for the Gamestick; unfortunately this button doesn't bring up the settings menu. Anything I can do to try to fix this?

*the gamepad itself can be had for only $9 on their website) . It's as comfortable to hold as a you would imagine a giant NES controller would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

catch22 posted:

Snes9x only recognizes one button press on the Fire TV remote

:what:

All of the .emu emulators have detected every keypress of every controller I've thrown at them, including the FTV remote (which I use all of the time in emulators as I've bound fast forward to the FF key on the remote). Is this an older version of Snes9x or something? Because I know a few revisions back you could only edit input settings on a global level, but newer releases allow you to change the input settings on a per device basis.

• Locked thread