Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But the thing is, WWE is LETTING him do it. You know as well as I do that is about the furthest thing from a given in the history of man.

Hey, NXT is this little WWE safe haven where idiotic decisions are kept to a minimum and people can do their cool poo poo. Sami is allowed to listen to ska, women get to actually wrestle, Finn Balor gets his cool entrances and bodypaint, and Owens gets to hurt the aforementioned Sami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I hope Zayn is okay: http://www.wwe.com/videos/sami-zayn-gets-stretchered-out-after-kevin-owens-surprise-attack-wwecom-exclusiv-26902306

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

main event was good

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ehhh, take a z-pak.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
http://youtu.be/VwcLDFntJ4I

Regal's reaction; I'm looking forward to him being involved in a storyline again.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Balors entrance was so much better than any other entrance ever. Dude has to get a mania match at some stage just for that because holy poo poo.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

KungFu Grip posted:

Ehhh, take a z-pak.

the crowd actually chanted "z-pak, z-pak" when the doctors came out.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i thought balor's entrance was super corny tbh. i've always thought the bodypaint was cool but the weird dreadlock hat thing and the posing in time with the music ehhhh

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
"FINN...YOU CHANGE?!?"

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Holy gently caress was that an awesome show top to bottom, definitely up there with WM30 as PPV special event of the year.

Hot drat why can't WWE main roster be this good, this investing, with championship victories that mean this much more often. :smith:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Holy gently caress was that an awesome show top to bottom, definitely up there with WM30 as PPV special event of the year.

Hot drat why can't WWE main roster be this good, this investing, with championship victories that mean this much more often. :smith:

I think it's also worth mentioning that in my opinion, NXT's quality transcends anything that might be used to easily dismiss it (by Kevin Dunn), like it's only got Smark appeal because with all the indy heavy hitters around it might as well be an RoH show with WWE production values. I know little if anything about any of these guy's indy careers, what makes me love NXT is indeed the booking and (to a lesser extent) the hot crowds. The title belts seem important, the Champions seem strong, the contenders seem legitimate and the storylines are sometimes riveting drama, sometimes goofy fun, and sometimes both. I would not hesitate to recommend NXT to someone who was interested in Pro Wrestling or questioned my own like for it, it showcases everything good about it from characters to spots.

The combination of good writing, good booking, good characters and good wrestling translates to a good show, even to someone without any concern for Steen's CREDIBILITY WITH THE INTERNET WRESTLING COMMUNITY. Who would have guessed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

What are you complaining about? Main roster has Big Show vs Mark Henry feuds every year!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I actually stopped watching a few minutes into the celebration and didn't see the attack at the end till reading this thread.

Show was amazing. Another thing NXT does better is the announcers don't talk over everything in ridiculous fashion. If that attack had happened on the main roster Cole would be screaming at the top of his lungs into the microphone. JBL would be screaming and King would start arguing with him. Sometimes you don't need an announcer talking over a big moment in hysterical fashion.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Niwrad posted:

I actually stopped watching a few minutes into the celebration and didn't see the attack at the end till reading this thread.

Show was amazing. Another thing NXT does better is the announcers don't talk over everything in ridiculous fashion. If that attack had happened on the main roster Cole would be screaming at the top of his lungs into the microphone. JBL would be screaming and King would start arguing with him. Sometimes you don't need an announcer talking over a big moment in hysterical fashion.

yeah i noticed the same thing during balor's entrance - they just shut up and let him take center stage and while the whole thing didn't really do it for me it obviously did for a lot of people. on the main roster Cole and JBL would be nattering over the whole thing incessantly. i don't think any of the NXT commentators (outside of Regal) are particularly good but they're leaps and bounds ahead of the WWE guys.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I'm so glad I just watch NXT now. I'm starting to like wrestling again.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Have any of you smarks realized that the palm strike was a worked shoot yet brother?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Sanguinia posted:

I know little if anything about any of these guy's indy careers, what makes me love NXT is indeed the booking and (to a lesser extent) the hot crowds.
The only person in NXT I've ever seen before/outside of NXT is Becky Lynch. Even then I only recall seeing her once. All these other indy darlings people are losing their minds over are totally new to me; I only know the names KENTA and El Genrico because of this board. Even so, I'm far more invested in NXT than anything on the main shows. (With the possible exceptions of Paige and BNB :britain:) NXT does a much better job of showing off any given wrestler than the core WWE and the lower rate of total bullshit means even the more average and forgettable parts of NXT seem better by comparison. I can't remember the last time I watched a WWE show—Raw, Smackdown, Superstars, Main Event or a PPV—without, at some point, zoning out, being distracted by something else or turning off early. With NXT I think I've only ever stopped paying attention around some of the Ascension's more standard squashes. Even then, that's only a couple of minutes.

If Vince & Co really were focused entirely on telling stories then the other shows would be a helluva lot more like NXT. I've never seen Kevin Owens before but holy poo poo do I want to see him and Sami kick the poo poo out of each other. That's one time I've seen him and I'm already perfectly happy seeing the main event booked around him for the foreseeable future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was just about to post that this was one of the most beautifully simple and straightforward wrestling shows I've seen in a LOOOONG time... and then I saw Kevin Owens attack Sami postmatch and turn it into the best show of the year.

WWE has a lot of problems, Raw is often bland, Smackdown is often overlooked or rehashed the following Monday on Raw, and more often that not the PPVs are passable at best. But NXT is a shining golden light amidst all that mediocrity, and has me genuinely excited about what is going on in it. It's simple wrestling done extremely well.

Edit:

Haha, oh my God this reminds me of that ROH angle where he'd been teasing a forced retirement due to a knee injury but he and Generico teamed up one last time in a tag match. At the end of it, Steen gives Generico a big ol' hug.... then absolutely murders him. First thing he posted online after the event was something like,"Hey guys, my knee is feeling great! :haw:"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 12, 2014

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I was just about to post that this was one of the most beautifully simple and straightforward wrestling shows I've seen in a LOOOONG time... and then I saw Kevin Owens attack Sami postmatch and turn it into the best show of the year.

WWE has a lot of problems, Raw is often bland, Smackdown is often overlooked or rehashed the following Monday on Raw, and more often that not the PPVs are passable at best. But NXT is a shining golden light amidst all that mediocrity, and has me genuinely excited about what is going on in it. It's simple wrestling done extremely well.

Edit:

Haha, oh my God this reminds me of that ROH angle where he'd been teasing a forced retirement due to a knee injury but he and Generico teamed up one last time in a tag match. At the end of it, Steen gives Generico a big ol' hug.... then absolutely murders him. First thing he posted online after the event was something like,"Hey guys, my knee is feeling great! :haw:"

That was my first Kevin Steen experience and all the time I just knew he was gonna murder Generico and then he did and it was great.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I only really watch WWE pay per views now but i've been starting to watch NXT every week because it reminds me of the stuff i used to watch when i was a kid in the 80's/90's.

Larger than life wacky characters, silly entrances and matches where you might actually see something different/unique. Also, actually decent tag matches.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Steen is the best at using his Twitter in character.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Kevin Owens is already my favorite wrestler ever. That pumphandle neckbreaker thing was vicious and that's not even his finisher :stare:

I looked him up on youtube and he seriously has the most vicious moveset I've ever seen in wrestling. He has so many moves that could easily be his finisher. He is the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The chances are still like 0.00001% but something about the fact that I could potentially one day see Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn fight each other at Wrestlemania for the WWE title just fills me with such joy.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

The chances are still like 0.00001% but something about the fact that I could potentially one day see Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn fight each other at Wrestlemania for the WWE title just fills me with such joy.

IF YOU WOULD'VE TOLD ME 5 YEARS AGO... etc.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry, I can't envision that ever happening, but I could see them winning the tag titles at WM and that would still be pretty cool. Some people there at least realize that you can't go wrong pairing those to together in an angle.

I'm still just elated just happy with how little they've tinkered with him beyond the obviously necessary changes to name and finisher. I'm not used to any arm of the WWE being smart enough to let a guy keep an entertaining personality and gimmick that has been proven to draw.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

Kevin Owens is already my favorite wrestler ever. That pumphandle neckbreaker thing was vicious and that's not even his finisher :stare:

I looked him up on youtube and he seriously has the most vicious moveset I've ever seen in wrestling. He has so many moves that could easily be his finisher. He is the best.

i'm gonna miss the package piledriver but the pop-up powerbomb he's using is a good replacement

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved the little detail of letting the COPYRIGHT WWE chyron (or whatever it says) come up just before the attack, so there's probably a couple of people that were fooled into turning it off before it happened. Little production elements like that are very much my poo poo.

Cardboard Box posted:

i'm gonna miss the package piledriver but the pop-up powerbomb he's using is a good replacement

I hope one day he uses it on someone to eliminate them from a Rumble or something, just straight up chucks them out of the ring like Mike Awesome.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NXT is like a home for all the lost powerbombs. You've got Owens doing the pop-up, plays Sami's blue thunder, Neville's insane sit out, Sin Cara's deadlift. I feel like I might be even missing some.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Cardboard Box posted:

It'd be cool if they let him use the piledriver as an only for the biggest matches ultimate desperation finisher

but I'll never complain about a good powerbomb

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kevin Owens is not going to win any titles if he keeps wearing basketball shorts

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Everyone wanted the show to end with Steen just destroying Sami Zayn and that's what they did :allears:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I knew nothing other than the board was hyped up for a lot of these guys. Nxt is still a great straightforward show with easy to follow plotlines and motivations.

Good god balor knows how to make an entrance. Holy poo poo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

lol gently caress off HHH

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

triplexpac posted:

lol gently caress off HHH

Yeah, gently caress HHH, complimenting all of the wrestlers who performed tonight! What a scumbag!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, gently caress HHH, complimenting all of the wrestlers who performed tonight! What a scumbag!

This is cute

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

jr says this was the best tv show of the week

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Johanns Molemann posted:

jr says this was the best tv show of the week

"Call me old fashioned but this reminds me of late 60's era Buck Jenkins terriorial wrestling where men were men and heels knew how to get heat! #sauceit whoops I shat in my hat again"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

yea ok posted:

This is cute

I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

"Call me old fashioned but this reminds me of late 60's era Buck Jenkins terriorial wrestling where men were men and heels knew how to get heat! #sauceit whoops I shat in my hat again"

now see, what i liked about this show is that it didnt expose the business...

• Locked thread