Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"One of the side strategies is to Shoot The Moon, where you try to get all tricks in a round (including the Black Maria) and instead of you getting 26 points everyone else each gets those points." :v:

It's not only idle games that have sort of gibberish if you're not familiar with the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I liked playing Board Game Online some time ago where sentences like "So I got a roll streak of 5, met gandalf the white, and got AIDs, but it's okay because before I died I completed 3/4ths of my English Breakfast and managed to blow up 3 people with my sheep" makes total sense.

edit: "...and I got to live my afterlife with the flying spaghetti monster and drink from the beer fountains!"

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
My dad, who is no stranger to video games (Diablo 2 was his jam, and he's hooked on 3 now), loves to just sit and listen to me and my brother talk about video games (wow for a while, now league of legends or some single player thing). Even though he's not oblivious, it's still completely inscrutable. It's like half-listening to something danish in the background: it sounds like english, but if you really pay attention you have no loving idea what is going on.

It probably doesn't help that most of the terminology comes from weird and often injokes or incredibly bizzare abbreviations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sage Grimm posted:

"One of the side strategies is to Shoot The Moon, where you try to get all tricks in a round (including the Black Maria) and instead of you getting 26 points everyone else each gets those points." :v:

It's not only idle games that have sort of gibberish if you're not familiar with the context.
This is true but Sandcastle Builder is a special kind of weird. I'm never going to play it just because it's so much fun to read people giving advice about it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LAY-ZX posted:

Does anyone here still know anything about Sandcastle Builder? I did a hard reset after taking a look at the godawful endgame grind, and now I'm at the glass phase but I can't for the life of me remember how to get temporal duplicates. I checked the wiki, but it says the temporal duplication boost requires you to have Crystal Dragon, which in turn requires that Achronal Dragon has already eaten some duplicates.

Time-travel around a bit and you'll accumulate temporal duplicates. If you don't have time-travel, solve a logicat puzzle during the same mNP you buy something that costs infinite castles like a locked crate/vault and you might get a temporal rift as a reward.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sindai posted:

This is true but Sandcastle Builder is a special kind of weird. I'm never going to play it just because it's so much fun to read people giving advice about it.

I don't blame you. I didn't jump into this rabbit hole until a couple weeks back and I now know too much about this nerdy game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Time-travel around a bit and you'll accumulate temporal duplicates. If you don't have time-travel, solve a logicat puzzle during the same mNP you buy something that costs infinite castles like a locked crate/vault and you might get a temporal rift as a reward.

I thought that's what it was, but when I time travel it says "Temporal incursion prevented".

vvv ugh that's so arbitrary

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LAY-ZX posted:

I thought that's what it was, but when I time travel it says "Temporal incursion prevented".

You need to have the Newpixbot Navigation Code turned off to get temporal dupes via time travel.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just gave up on it yesterday when something broke during reset #2. I couldn't get things to trigger or reopen again and that led to me looking up the process I needed to get further, which just made me go "I'm done".

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a new hotness is clickers or is it pretty much still just Clicker Heroes?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a new hotness is clickers or is it pretty much still just Clicker Heroes?

I finally closed that tab. Soooooooooooo repetitive.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Eldercain posted:

I finally closed that tab. Soooooooooooo repetitive.

Random save wipe did me in :( had a decent run going, tons of ancients, was starting to climb the upper 1000s. And then between one session and another, POOF. I'm really not feeling up to repeating all that again, so whatever, here's to whatever comes next!

That miner game on armorgames looks cool and has decent production values, but knowing Toge's monetization habits it will get way, WAY too grindy too fast.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
I too lost my clicker heroes save and didn't care, that last update was terrible.

KazigluBey posted:

That miner game on armorgames looks cool and has decent production values, but knowing Toge's monetization habits it will get way, WAY too grindy too fast.
It's cute, balance is iffy but they do try pretty hard to differentiate units with more than bigger numbers. Bullshit part is you have random chests drop for equipables that are opened with diamonds. Achievements give diamonds, but when that dries up it's up to random chance or ~cash~, and surprise, random chance likes dropping chests far far more than it likes dropping diamonds. Guessing it's better to save your diamonds for gold chests (earlier stuff is pretty garbage anyway) and, if you last long enough, slowly craft four good items up with lesser stuff, but who knows, maybe something comes along to make that wasteful too.

Also I don't think you can export your save, which is always comforting, and all the units have timed lifespans to punish idling or something I don't know. I'd like to like this game.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm still on Clicker Heroes, only got about 100 souls so far. Did break level 1000 on 2 or 3 heroes on the last run so things are getting interesting. :)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Eldercain posted:

This is good advice, but for grinding straight up #conquests it's way better if you just mash yourself down to 0 soldiers, bomb them, then spam it. 5 soldiers for me is ~300 power so I can easily get like 20-30 victories before they get up to 70 and I have to bomb again, which is enough time to get my 5 dudes back.

Now I just need more flax, steel, and dragonscales. The orb told me I need water essence and I built/leveled it as much as possible this morning so we'll see if I have enough in the evening.

I guess it's worth mentioning that there's upgrades for having ridiculous numbers of each hireling now, so make sure you have alchemists plugging away.

Yeah i have refined my strategy to this as well now, but it does require a high army power level and a high population growth.

Autoclick battle until you start losing, bomb the enemy down to 25, battle until you start losing, bomb to 25, etc.
In just a few rounds of this you will hover around 0-20 population for each round, and gain like 50 victories every time. The reason this works so well is that the enemy power scales with how many soldiers you lost, meaning the less soldiers you have the slower the enemy power scales.
I am up to 7k battles won now, and have maybe spent 20 minutes doing this.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah i have refined my strategy to this as well now, but it does require a high army power level and a high population growth.

Autoclick battle until you start losing, bomb the enemy down to 25, battle until you start losing, bomb to 25, etc.
In just a few rounds of this you will hover around 0-20 population for each round, and gain like 50 victories every time. The reason this works so well is that the enemy power scales with how many soldiers you lost, meaning the less soldiers you have the slower the enemy power scales.
I am up to 7k battles won now, and have maybe spent 20 minutes doing this.

I'm up to 4k, I don't have patience for more than 1k at a time. I'll do some more when I get home and hopefully unlock the next shrine. Do you cap out at 10k or is this gonna be another grindfest?

Also now that I can alchemize water into dragonscale, why the gently caress do I have these dragon hunters again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eldercain posted:

I'm up to 4k, I don't have patience for more than 1k at a time. I'll do some more when I get home and hopefully unlock the next shrine. Do you cap out at 10k or is this gonna be another grindfest?

Also now that I can alchemize water into dragonscale, why the gently caress do I have these dragon hunters again?

As far as I can tell you don't need anything past 10k. Until someone posts the new upgrades and how to get them I stopped.

Water essence is how I'm getting scales now that I have hunters but it generates so slowly. I have it at like level 65-70 and an extra 100% essence generation. But it still isn't getting anywhere.

Edit: each dragon sacrificed makes the graveyard attack faster.

Len fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 16, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Len posted:

As far as I can tell you don't need anything past 10k. Until someone posts the new upgrades and how to get them I stopped.

Water essence is how I'm getting scales now that I have hunters but it generates so slowly. I have it at like level 65-70 and an extra 100% essence generation. But it still isn't getting anywhere.

Edit: each dragon sacrificed makes the graveyard attack faster.

Unless that's the 5k unlock it seems a little redundant to have faster attacks after you don't need #conquests.

As much as some of this game is obtusely grindy like the conquests, it's somehow really fun too. I don't know how they did it.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I unlocked the mage tower last night, and I'm a bit confused as to how wisdom works. Do meditating mages increase it faster? Was it a bad idea to put all my mages on meditating instead of delving?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nothing influences it except maybe some upgrades. It's more a timer than a resource.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eldercain posted:

Unless that's the 5k unlock it seems a little redundant to have faster attacks after you don't need #conquests.

As much as some of this game is obtusely grindy like the conquests, it's somehow really fun too. I don't know how they did it.

I think it's because the "thing" you're doing is always changing. You have different phases of the game - you start with clicking, upgrading your pick, and doing the "normal" progression of buying hirelings. Then throw in mages to balance adquate DPS / Mana / Gold depending on how mana/gold hungry you are. Then you have the imbue unlocks, doubling mana a bunch. And then you stop that grind and start a new grind, so it's always different.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Devor posted:

I think it's because the "thing" you're doing is always changing. You have different phases of the game - you start with clicking, upgrading your pick, and doing the "normal" progression of buying hirelings. Then throw in mages to balance adquate DPS / Mana / Gold depending on how mana/gold hungry you are. Then you have the imbue unlocks, doubling mana a bunch. And then you stop that grind and start a new grind, so it's always different.

Mine Defense is the only game that takes influence from Sandcastle Builder, and I love it. It also feels like I could feasibly beat it without autoclicking, but it speeds up the gem portion so much that I'm not going to stop.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I think sandcastle builder might be the paradigm shift part of these games taken to it's logical conclusion. I agree that mine defense takes from it an that's good, more games should realize that if you see all the content in the first 15 minutes, it's not terribly appealing to play it forever. And no, a new building that gives you more money is not new content.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eldercain posted:

And no, a new building that gives you more money is not new content.

Whoa whoa slow down, here, what about this twist: instead of the next building being 10x as expensive, what if it were 1000x as expensive? :pusheen:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Devor posted:

Whoa whoa slow down, here, what about this twist: instead of the next building being 10x as expensive, what if it were 1000x as expensive? :pusheen:

:psyboom:

And and and then when you beat the whole game in 60 minutes you can reset and play it again and beat it in 45 minutes! And then you just keep going faster and faster!

And the real kicker is once you get enough "prestige" the game forcibly ejects you from your husk of a body and your astral projection weeps for what your life has become as it watches you play until you die of malnutrition.

Also some of these games really need to think through their monetary system. Why in the world can I make a conveyer belt out of gifts? I mean I get the mechanics but at least TRY to think of a reason that your currency works that way or split it up like other games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Devor posted:

Cribbing from Clicker Heroes I see.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I kind of like Matter of Scale minus it being boring as hell, it would be cool if you finished all the upgrades on a tier or something you just beat it and the next tier didn't require it anymore. You get 30k Meat in the time it takes you to max out the second tier, and the first tier is still slowing you down at full speed.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
In Mine Defence I got the Mage Tower and I'm now watching the multiplier inch upwards, with my 300 mages. Is there anything I can do to accelerate my gold gain to the point that I can get more mages? I've got all my alchemists on making Hive Queens and World Eaters, but I'm not seeing any meaningful change in gold gain yet. Should I just wait all this out until I get 50k wisdom?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Carados posted:

I kind of like Matter of Scale minus it being boring as hell, it would be cool if you finished all the upgrades on a tier or something you just beat it and the next tier didn't require it anymore. You get 30k Meat in the time it takes you to max out the second tier, and the first tier is still slowing you down at full speed.

The easiest fix would be to let you use prestige to buy more hamlets or something. Dunno if the game is still in development though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i am playing mine defense and man I just got alchemists but I can't figure out how to get to the next stage. Everything costs way more gems/gold/mana than i seem to be able to produce.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What does the oracle say to get?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sindai posted:

What does the oracle say to get?

more sandshrews, but I'm at over 200 sandshrews and the gold cost is ridiculous now. I can't get enough gems transmuted from ants to make transmuting sandshrews feasible either.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

lol i have wasted my life

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

You'll be back when they add more content, can't leave the game off at an awkward number like 468 after all!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

more sandshrews, but I'm at over 200 sandshrews and the gold cost is ridiculous now. I can't get enough gems transmuted from ants to make transmuting sandshrews feasible either.

Get 750k gems mined if you haven't and a new pick will appear that gives better gems (you'll need to use an autoclicker to make best use of it). This will speed up the process a fair bit.

e: Other ideas include increasing the imbuement of Hive Queens, transmuting more of them so you can put more alchemists on ants to gems duty, and increasing the imbuement of Neurochrysalises so you can get more mana out of them to put towards delver mage upgrades - also, of course, you should switch your mages to mostly delver from mostly mana generation because neurochrysalises are an order of magnitude better than your mages.

e2: You'll only need 1000 total shrews also, it takes some time but it's not extreme.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 17, 2014

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Trig Discipline posted:

"novemquinquagintillion" holy poo poo

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Trig Discipline posted:

I just hit the same point a day or two ago.

Now export your save and hard reset!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I figured out how the manager bug in Matter of Scale works and why it didn't work for me originally - it is not just the building cost decreasing mod that can be boosted, it's actually whatever the top mod for your manager is that can be applied more than once. So if instead your top mod is, say, "increase tier 5 buildings by 7% per building owned", you can make your income go up and up and up even though it's still nowhere near as good as "decrease all building costs by 5%".

e: figures that after I say this I find a manager that works the way it was originally presented :doh:

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 17, 2014

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
So I think I'm ready to release the next version of shark game except I'm missing like 100 icons and a few dozen other miscellaneous images on top. Should I release this game later today with partially done graphics, adding the missing graphics in over time, or sit on it longer and release it sometime in February? Given existing feedback there's already options to just turn the graphics off altogether if it would bug anyone severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cirrial posted:

So I think I'm ready to release the next version of shark game except I'm missing like 100 icons and a few dozen other miscellaneous images on top. Should I release this game later today with partially done graphics, adding the missing graphics in over time, or sit on it longer and release it sometime in February? Given existing feedback there's already options to just turn the graphics off altogether if it would bug anyone severely.

I think you'd be better off releasing today if it's gonna take another month and a half to get graphics done for everything. Even just a placeholder empty/seethrough icon would be fine to keep the style the same.

Then again, I could just want to play shark game's update soooooooooo maybe I'm not the best person to ask?

Can you not just like, mspaint some poo poo together?

• Locked thread