Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

That's cool. Does it help me make my spaceships kiss?

Depends on if you want tongue or not. That's a completely separate plugin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ak Gara posted:

It's like Black Friday sales where they limit the number of items per customer, with about an equal amount of people literally dieing at the entrance trying to get in.

Holy poo poo, they should totally have announced "release times" for rare goods, and they only come out at those times - once every other day or so?

And then on top of that, you've got a limited number per customer AND a limited total stock.

Seeing people bash each other around and into walls and spamming docking requests it would be wonderful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sounds like this rare goods change means players in little early game ships will still highly benefit from rare goods but won't automatically become rich as gently caress once they get a big ship.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Honestly it sounds like an easy way to get past this restriction (with some luck, or a friend) is to buy a hold full, empty your cargo outside the station, go back in, buy more, repeat, and then scoop it all up.

Anyone scooping your cargo outside the station runs the risk of getting scanned by the cops and fined, or you can just have a friend guard the piles.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Honestly it sounds like an easy way to get past this restriction (with some luck, or a friend) is to buy a hold full, empty your cargo outside the station, go back in, buy more, repeat, and then scoop it all up.

Anyone scooping your cargo outside the station runs the risk of getting scanned by the cops and fined, or you can just have a friend guard the piles.

Player allotment. That's not how it works.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Kenshin posted:

What system are you in. I would like some free rare goods.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

Player allotment. That's not how it works.

Unless you're trying to tell me you only get X amount ever, or only if you sell it (what happens if someone takes your cargo forcefully, then?) I don't think you actually know if this is how it works.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

I think if you start using a cheat engine like Iskboxer, you are clearly cheating. And at that point it gets detectable.

What's the problem with cheating though? This is supposed to be playable as a single-player game. If I wanted to memory-edit my credits to a billion and buy the biggest ship I should be able to as long as it's in solo mode only.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

What system are you in. I would like some free rare goods.
Obviously one would do this in Solo or Private Group.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Obviously one would do this in Solo or Private Group.

People who hate fun.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Libluini posted:

I disagree, they're "rare" goods after all. So it makes sense to limit accessability instead of "balancing" them until they stop being rare goods.

Rare is a relative term. Galaxy wide, compared to the vast quantities of other goods in the universe, they were already pretty rare :)

My guess is that this fix was done to prevent people from making millions while mostly sitting AFK and hitting the buy button every 15 minutes.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 18, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

People who hate fun.
To be desperate enough to make credits the way I suggest one would indeed need to temporarily forego (though hate may be a strong term), fun.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

What's the problem with cheating though? This is supposed to be playable as a single-player game. If I wanted to memory-edit my credits to a billion and buy the biggest ship I should be able to as long as it's in solo mode only.

What you do in solomode still affects the universe across any game mode. So no cheating.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79520

quote:

I would like to success a new type of rare good. Right now, rare goods have a constantly replenishing per-player stock with a per-player purchase limit.

Let's go a step further.

Let's get hyped.

Have news announcement (in game) that, say, Xihe will be releasing a limited run of their newest and most advanced and completely unique Biomorphic Companion.

This release will occur at a specific date and time.

At that time, 1000 tons of a new good "Limited Edition Biomorphic Companion" will be added to the market, which works like a rare good but is incredibly valuable even if resold to the station immediately and only gets more valuable the further away you get. The buying price, however, is the same as the regular Biomorphic Companion.

Only players who have docked after the release time will be able to purchase the item.

There will be a limit of 1 purchase per customer.

Let's get some black friday bumper cars queue jumping mayhem going, it will be glorious.

Have this happen every few days with a different rare good, so that these select distributors have to jump around the galaxy grabbing them.

Just imagine it. The tears. The anguish. The joy. It's like a violent, capitalist lottery. :allears:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 18, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

What you do in solomode still affects the universe across any game mode. So no cheating.

Uh I should be able to play this offline then because at some point I'll want to hack myself into a Long Range Cruiser or something like that like I did in Frontier.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Unless you're trying to tell me you only get X amount ever, or only if you sell it (what happens if someone takes your cargo forcefully, then?) I don't think you actually know if this is how it works.

The way I interpreted it was that players would only be able to pull so many of (insert rare good here) from a given station in one go per a set time period. So going in, grabbing your allotted six and then going back in after you've handed them off/left them floating in space would net you nothing as you'd have to wait for a counter to reset.

Mind you, I haven't dabbled in the rare goods trade yet, but to me the better alternative to transferring it/leaving it in space to go get more would just be to widen the arc of stations visited in the rare goods trade route in order to hit more stations carrying the same goods before you transport them 120ly back across the galaxy for sale.

Isn't there also a counter on containers floating in space?

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Uh I should be able to play this offline then because at some point I'll want to hack myself into a Long Range Cruiser or something like that like I did in Frontier.

No Offline mode.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

No Offline mode.

Well, I want one.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

GlyphGryph posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79516&p=1286992#post1286992

Just imagine it. The tears. The anguish. The joy. It's like a violent, capitalist lottery. :allears:

I 100% support this idea. It would be amazing.

Knifegrab posted:

So mining really blows which is unfortunate. Maknig money that way is just super slow :(

Also, I know you can't sell exploration data closer than 20 Ly from the system you collected it in, but do you get more money the further out you go? I have heard this before but I keep flying further out and checking a piece of exploration I have to see if it does go up but everywhere is just offering me the same amount of money.

Also does anyone have an answer to this, I am super curious.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

I 100% support this idea. It would be amazing.

I just realized what could make it even better.

System Security and the no fire zones are lifted specifically for the event.

It would literally be a dream come true and absolutely everything I could want from this game. Combat around stations, extreme landing procedures, pirates all over, and a good chance not a single good survives to be delivered anywhere.

Guys please go post in support of this idea on the official forum, I never realized what I truly wanted from this game until this very moment, but this - this is it. This would be the best thing and it would make this the best game I've ever played.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

The way I interpreted it was that players would only be able to pull so many of (insert rare good here) from a given station in one go per a set time period. So going in, grabbing your allotted six and then going back in after you've handed them off/left them floating in space would net you nothing as you'd have to wait for a counter to reset.

Mind you, I haven't dabbled in the rare goods trade yet, but to me the better alternative to transferring it/leaving it in space to go get more would just be to widen the arc of stations visited in the rare goods trade route in order to hit more stations carrying the same goods before you transport them 120ly back across the galaxy for sale.

Isn't there also a counter on containers floating in space?

Well, unless the counter didn't start going until you undocked (how would they handle logging off?) you'd just wait 10 minutes, undock, dump your cargo hold, dock, buy your allotment, undock, and scoop the ones you dumped.

Now, I have no idea about a limit on containers in an instance or whatnot, and that could potentially make this untenable. Still, it might work, and if it does it'd be a quick way around the restriction. It also might backfire horribly but that's the point of experimenting! :eng101:

All that said the method you mention is better but only possible in a few areas where you have several available rares nearby (Leesti and the surrounding area is the one I used after the initial nerf)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

OK, I get where you're coming from, but I really doubt the people with millions of bucks to spend on iphones don't get packages of said iphones for any reason or no reason. Way ahead of any apple store the scrubs sleep in front of. When I'm buying hardware in bulk, I don't go to the local electronics store, I talk to the importer, and get my hardware no questions asked, as long as I have the monies.

Really though, my problem is that the price doesn't skyrocket when the reserves go low. If the planet has millions of something in supply and doesn't sell any for a long time, price keeps falling until it's stupid low, as the people with stock are trying cut their losses. If the supply goes below a limit, make the price skyrocket. Making something low supply, but keeping the same price just feels stupid. Make prices react to supply and the market will fix itself. It seems to work for other goods, I'm sure they can make it work for rare ones too.

You missed the point: Rare goods are rare, as in your importer can't always give you your stuff no questions asked, because sometimes he hasn't anything left to sell. In this case, a comparison with the PS3 would be more apt, because there was actually scarcity with that thing when it first came out because not enough were manifactured for the oversees market. :v:

I would see no problem with the market adjusting itself, by the way. I even thought this was already happening and the limit on rare goods was an additional issue. Are prices in Elite fixed?

quote:

ISboxer allows you to run 10s of clients on the same box without having a monster rig because it throttles the inactive ones down so your active client runs better.

I have no problems with this, even though I question the sanity of people who do things like running dozens of clients at the same time. Especially in a game like this, where having more than one client is completely pointless. It's like having mutliple versions of Cookyclicker running, it simply has no point, so logically my mind assumes automatically someone uses Iskboxer and similar programs to cheat, because having it is completely pointless otherwise. Elite is not Eve, after all.

Overall, if you want to do this thing, be my guest, but you'll have to live with me secretly thinking you're either wasting time and money for nothing, or cheating. :shrug:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

GlyphGryph posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79520

I'd say remove the "valuable sold in the same station" bit. Players would be forced to fly their goods out into the galaxy, not just show up, buy, then immediately sell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

Overall, if you want to do this thing, be my guest, but you'll have to live with me secretly thinking you're either wasting time and money for nothing, or cheating. :shrug:

I'm probably not going to do this, because it's more effort than it's worth. Hell, ISboxer requires manual input, I can automate anything with a short autohotkey script, which is also free. I'm sure some people will be doing it, though. And then they'll RMT the credits. And Braben will be furious and further nerf something :3:

Kenshin posted:

Well, unless the counter didn't start going until you undocked (how would they handle logging off?) you'd just wait 10 minutes, undock, dump your cargo hold, dock, buy your allotment, undock, and scoop the ones you dumped.

Now, I have no idea about a limit on containers in an instance or whatnot, and that could potentially make this untenable. Still, it might work, and if it does it'd be a quick way around the restriction. It also might backfire horribly but that's the point of experimenting! :eng101:

All that said the method you mention is better but only possible in a few areas where you have several available rares nearby (Leesti and the surrounding area is the one I used after the initial nerf)

All this :eng101: talk gives me an idea. If you're playing solo, an instance is created or destroyed pretty much every time you change sessions (hyperspace, enter supercruise, exit supercruise, etc).

Has anyone tried docking at a rare goods station and then repeatedly logging in and out in solo mode in the station? I have a hunch this will replenish the rare goods. Maybe I'll try it after I get from work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Byers2142 posted:

I'd say remove the "valuable sold in the same station" bit. Players would be forced to fly their goods out into the galaxy, not just show up, buy, then immediately sell.

You're right, changed.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

How are these even rare goods if everyone and their mother are selling them to the same station?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a way to quickly switch destination to systems in your contracts tab without having to memorize the system name and find it in the navigation tab?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

How are these even rare goods if everyone and their mother are selling them to the same station?

That's the 8 million credit question right there.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
They basically patched out what I've been doing. Just left a remote session up to ED during the day, and a few times an hour, alt-tabbed over to it from work and bought my 5-10 rare goods. When I got home, I had a full cargo load for a 2M profit run waiting.

They should patch that out. I'm glad they patched it out. It was stupid.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rotation Confusion posted:

They basically patched out what I've been doing. Just left a remote session up to ED during the day, and a few times an hour, alt-tabbed over to it from work and bought my 5-10 rare goods. When I got home, I had a full cargo load for a 2M profit run waiting.

They should patch that out. I'm glad they patched it out. It was stupid.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people :psyduck:

You do realize you can fly around in space in any ship and you are still flying in space!?

Fuckin poo poo dude, there's volcanic planets, ice rings, black holes, neutron stars, and phat rear end space stations. Just do that poo poo. Fuckin space bro.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Knifegrab posted:

You do realize you can fly around in space in any ship and you are still flying in space!?

Well not at work man, i'm like, working when i'm at work.

All bringing my joysticks in and poo poo "hay guys check it out i'm flying in space now ya'll get back to work this is what modern tech management looks like"

That wouldn't be cool.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Libluini posted:

As I understand it, they just limit what a commander can purchase, so there's nothing magically appearing, you're just not allowed to buy everything up on the market.

This. I logged in this morning and I had 14 Lavian Brandy in my cargo hold. The item isn't even listed as available in the market to me now. The "magical appearing" is that I can jettison those 14 canisters and all of a sudden I can buy more. It's retarded. As someone else said, merchants want to make money. If a product is in higher demand they raise the price. This is a lovely fix for a poorly thought-out idea.

This was a good way to make money. Now it's broken so the only way to really make money is to grind unreliable trade runs where information can only be found by literally docking at a station and using a loving notepad to write down prices. Bounty hunting is almost completely random because bounties are a result of spawns, which can run dry at the drop of a hat. And of course there's mining, which is somehow even more tedious than Eve's version.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 18, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What are these Low/High Energy FSD Wakes, and how do I scan them?

jackoff
Jun 12, 2008

If it bleeds, we can kill it.
Tonight, I will start my journey to the Harrys Monkey hangout! How do I regognize other goons in the system? They shoot at me without asking? =D

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Icedude posted:

You think I'd run into more poo poo to sell in an Anarchy system, but both USS' I've jumped into have been empty apart from a handful of pirates (who are of course 'Clean' because no police). Rather annoying.

'No police' means you can shoot them anyway, and if they have a bounty in another system, you'll collect it, IIRC.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So last night I stole some rebel communications and delivered them back to the station. That was a lot of fun, and I almost got Interdicted but managed to pilot my way out of that. The weird escape vector thing was confusing though. Not sure how I managed to eventually break it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

This. I logged in this morning and I had 14 Lavian Brandy in my cargo hold. The item isn't even listed as available in the market to me now. The "magical appearing" is that I can jettison those 14 canisters and all of a sudden I can buy more. It's retarded. As someone else said, merchants want to make money. If a product is in higher demand they raise the price. This is a lovely fix for a poorly thought-out idea.
Ha ha ha so my idea could work?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

jackoff posted:

Tonight, I will start my journey to the Harrys Monkey hangout! How do I regognize other goons in the system? They shoot at me without asking? =D

I assume everyone entering that region of the galaxy is spamming "I am protected" like a secret passcode over and over

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

jackoff posted:

I hail people, the interdict them, and then challenge them to tell me a joke, sing a song, or otherwise entertain me with conversation or I will blow them up.

The greeting procedures for other goons may vary.

I really need to get a Wake Scanner so those bastards keep getting away before I make them talk though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Since I did my first rare good run last night, I was pretty happy with the idea of spending my time tonight doing the same. :negative:

That said, I do agree with the nerf. And the whining on the forums is amazing.

• Locked thread