Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Our BJJ beginners is 1 hour. Too short, for me. Warm up, self defense, technique, positional sparring. Sometimes we can stay late if we like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

All our classes are an hour long (used to be an hour and a half but for some reason it changed) but there's three in a row and they all follow a similar vein, so it'll be all striking on a monday, then all wrestling on a tuesday etc. The night's lessons just tend to bleed together rather than be three distinct one-hour affairs. Open mat after, most nights.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Ours are all 1.5 hours on the books but since the last 30 mins is rolling anyway, people tend to stay as long as there is someone who still wants to roll.

It's good because sometimes you have more energy and want to keep going but other times I'm just so drat tired and want to leave but I feel guilty because so many people are staying. So then I end up just sitting against the wall in some sort of fugue state until enough people start to peel off then I leave. :frogout:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Here's a neat video showcasing Jujitsu vs Aikido. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXO9FrZ1N9s

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

*Runs in*
gently caress burpees
*Runs out*

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had a total brainfart earlier where some guy had me in what was almost an armbar, so I thought I'd kind of flip over him and release the pressure. Instead I flipped right into it like a loving idiot and made sure that my arm didn't work properly for the rest of the session. Including a twenty-minute roll with some guy that I just couldn't finish as I was gassing (I had just enough in the tank to defend when necessary). Certainly one of the more 'educational' evenings, in terms of: Hey, I'm poo poo! I should learn more!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's a neat video showcasing Jujitsu vs Aikido. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXO9FrZ1N9s

Why the gently caress are all Aikido(?)'s punches haymakers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mewse posted:

Because bad Aikido instructors only train their students to defend against three half-assed attacks?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

mewse posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how samurais fought.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The Fool posted:

Because bad Aikido instructors only train their students to defend against three half-assed attacks?

If you get a good instructor though it's a lot of fun. That said, if someone attacked me in the street (again lol) I'd mentally default to my boxing, but that's not really a problem anyway as some famous aikido guy said, "fights are 70% punching and 30% throws".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lg-IOQ6Ts

My aikido club does realistic attacks as well as the traditional attacks, and the philosophy is that the traditional attacks are generally to be though of as training aids. I've been encouraged to fight like a boxer a couple of times so higher level guys can get some realistic practise in.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've mentioned before that I work in a custody block, last night I spent a large chunk of my shift watching a guy shadow spar in the cell......what is it about being banged up that makes people think they are Jean Claude Van Damme???

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've mentioned before that I work in a custody block, last night I spent a large chunk of my shift watching a guy shadow spar in the cell......what is it about being banged up that makes people think they are Jean Claude Van Damme???

Hey, if you're locked behind bars and have nothing better to do, you might as well pretend you're Van Damme.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
You know.....I never thought of it like that.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'd skip doing splits in tights or hot pants though..

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you're not working out or finding Jesus or Muhammad what the else would you do?

I'd at least leave doing the splits and competent in some form of martial art or street boxing (in addition to being swole as gently caress)

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

General Emergency posted:

I'd skip doing splits in tights or hot pants though..

gently caress that , tights are awesome and alpha as gently caress.Proclaim your devil may care attitude and complete disregard of heteronormative expectations.

And sure as hell you'll learn to fight

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
And then embrace getting traded for a pack of ciggies.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Novum posted:

And then embrace getting traded for a pack of ciggies.

That won't happen with my sick kung-fu and tight-assisted-jumping-wheel kicks.I won't even need to use my deadly chi-punches.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'll forever defend my right to wear unicorn or rainbow spatz underneath pink muay thai shorts when it's no gi grappling time.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

BlindSite posted:

I'll forever defend my right to wear unicorn or rainbow spatz underneath pink muay thai shorts when it's no gi grappling time.

How does that work anyway? I've been wondering how grappling works when you're fighting someone who's shirt isn't basically made of handles.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
You grab body parts instead of cloth: Wrists and elbows instead of sleeves, necks instead of lapels. I'm new to grappling though so I dunno the specifics of what works going gi to nogi but I cant see something like osoto-gari being too different whether you grab a dudes arm or his sleeve. Getting grips and controlling your opponent must be way harder though...

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Getting good grips in no-gi is really hard. You basically have to commit to two-on-one, so you'd grab his wrist/leg with both of your arms. The obvious problem/benefit comes about a minute in, when you're pouring with sweat and then grips are pretty much out of the window, and subs get a lot easier to get out of. It feels a lot faster than Gi because of all this.

For some reason I find it a lot easier to get triangles in no-gi, I wear Vale Tudo shorts and Adventure Time tights (got to look as gay as possible whilst grappling), and I think the lack of friction caused by the tights helps.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Travic posted:

How does that work anyway? I've been wondering how grappling works when you're fighting someone who's shirt isn't basically made of handles.

I can't do gi at the moment and have been going to only nogi classes for months now. Can't wait to return to gi and be reminded that I am covered in suitable locations for grips.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In no-Gi underhooks become super important.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
No-gi is much more like wrestling, with submissions. You could even say it's some sort of "submission wrestling".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No-gi is much more like wrestling, with submissions. You could even say it's some sort of "submission wrestling".

Submission Wrestling.... Submission wrestling... Nah sounds stupid

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Take your ball gags and whips somewhere else.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Sounds really gay

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

de la peche posted:

Sounds really gay

I thought the entire point was to look and sound as gay as possible without any actual penetration?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Someone needs an oil check

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Fool posted:

I thought the entire point was to look and sound as gay as possible without any actual penetration?

What about penetration steps when you're double legging people though

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The Fool posted:

That's pretty much my life philosophy right there

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Travic posted:

You gather the lose skin at their neck in your mouth and shake them.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The Fool posted:

Long periods of intense homoerotic action followed by brutal violence.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lamadrid posted:

Long periods of intense homoerotic action followed by brutal violence.

I went to a comedy club last night and Artie Lange was one of the stand ups. He had a joke that went something like "MMA looks like two guys having sex and eventually one of them realizes they aren't gay."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i am looking to supplement my muay thai skills with some jew jitsu, where can i learn it?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
On the internet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just submit your skills on video for an online belt test

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i am looking to supplement my muay thai skills with some jew jitsu, where can i learn it?

on the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I like it when burly, sweaty men grapple me into submission.

• Locked thread