Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

and yet my lovely laptop can't do it, and my lovely flashcart can't run it

I am sorry to hear this, Cake Attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished the first case of the third game. It's a flashback case where I played as Mia and I had Grossberg as my partner. Her voice clips must've eaten up a ton of memory. Grossberg still only has two faces even in his new partner sprites. He is too busy complaining about his hemorrhoids doing the Harlem Shake than to be helpful outside of tutorial stuff. College student Phoenix is annoying. Genteel-man Payne is not as wimpy as he usually is, but he looks silly with that pompadour. I guess I will meet Hawthorne later in the game. By the way, in the first game Phoenix and Grossberg don't seem to recognize each other even though they have met each other before.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Continuity stuff like that happens when things are unplanned. For example, in 1-2, Phoenix thinks to himself that he never thought he'd see himself in the Defendant's chair despite having already taken a seat there in 3-1, as you've seen. AA1 was originally gonna be a standalone thing, but the higher ups at Capcom wanted a sequel after it unexpectedly sold well so yeah, now we have a large-ish franchise and one of Capcom's last good properties.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Still in the beginning of case 2, but I notice that Phoenix has a profile. Unless I have missed it for two games in a row, the player character never had a profile before, so I know I have to present it at some point.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
DeLite's words suddenly turn grey at the end of some of his sentences. Some of his words are half grey.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jazama posted:

DeLite's words suddenly turn grey at the end of some of his sentences. Some of his words are half grey.

That's the game trying to portray his voice trailing off in a really annoying whiny way. Ron kinda sucks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jazama posted:

His words are trailing off
E: Ron owns actually

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 21, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

His words are trailing off
E: Ron owns actually

Ron owns he how much he sucks and still gets away with everything he does

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Larry's weird slanted smile is gone. Also he has a theme song now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And it's the best track in the game. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

His theme song has a legitimately cool name that I can't understand why Larry of all people got it.

Larry Butz ~ In the Shadows of the Government

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

His theme song has a legitimately cool name that I can't understand why Larry of all people got it.

I think it's supposed to show that he's a giant tinfoil dork

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's the game trying to portray his voice trailing off in a really annoying whiny way. Ron kinda sucks

Get out of here, Ron was just trying his best to be a faithful husband.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was actually gullible enough to believe that Case 3-3 would end without a murder when I initially played it. I was actually kinda disappointed!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I was actually gullible enough to believe that Case 3-3 would end without a murder when I initially played it. I was actually kinda disappointed!

3-2 you mean. And I fell for it too, although I guessed near the end of the first day of trial that there was going to be another crime.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

3-2 you mean. And I fell for it too, although I guessed near the end of the first day of trial that there was going to be another crime.

I fell for that as well and it's the reason I love the first day of this case so much. I understand that murder makes for a more dramatic story but I wish they would try to explore other mysteries/crimes more often.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished the first day of court. "Take a good look, everyone! Unable to find a rival worthy of my genius, I was forced to create one myself! Here I am! The tragic clown..." A breakdown and a not guilty already? Of course this is just a setup for a twist, all Ace Attorney cases must have someone dying. I don't exactly know how to feel about Godot yet. Maybe he will grow on me after a while. Or maybe I will hate him.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jazama posted:

Finished the first day of court. "Take a good look, everyone! Unable to find a rival worthy of my genius, I was forced to create one myself! Here I am! The tragic clown..." A breakdown and a not guilty already? Of course this is just a setup for a twist, all Ace Attorney cases must have someone dying. I don't exactly know how to feel about Godot yet. Maybe he will grow on me after a while. Or maybe I will hate him.

oh yeah you're going to hate Godot

no you're not

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I am sorry to hear this, Cake Attack

i upgraded to a new firmware and it works now

christmas is saved

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that's because whoever translated the soundtrack listing was using Google translate. Properly, it's "Larry Butz ~ When Something Smells, It's Usually Me."

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Phoenix's despair sprite already! In just the second case! Mia to the rescue with her new voiced objection! Godot is letting me do what Mia suggested?

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished the second day of court. "Take a good look, everyone! Unable to find a rival worthy of my genius, I was forced to create one myself! Here I am! The tragic clown..." A breakdown and a not guilty already? This day felt shorter than yesterday. This case is so full of twists that it seemed to repeat itself at times. I don't exactly know how to feel about Godot yet. He is unnecessarily mean to Phoenix, but there are hints to an interesting back story.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Godot probably has the most well written and cohesive arc out of any of the prosecutors, be interesting to see what you make of it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In other news, finally got round to starting AAI2 Knightley is really on it for a case 1 murderer, is this game going to be a bit of an AA: expert edition?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 21, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

In other news, finally got round to starting AAI2 Knightley is really on it for a case 1 murderer, is game going to be a bit of an AA: expert edition?

It is quite long and involved so you could say that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

In other news, finally got round to starting AAI2 Knightley is really on it for a case 1 murderer, is this game going to be a bit of an AA: expert edition?

It absolutely is. Stay on your toes, friend.

I got to the circus case, and I don't think it's as bad as people say. I love Moe, and the puppet guy is pretty funny too. I mean for real though, if you don't like Moe there's something wrong with you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress Moe and his "Press him too hard and I'll penalize you!" bullshit :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mabels big day posted:

I mean for real though, if you don't like Moe there's something wrong with you.

In West Clownadelphia born and raised!

Regy Rusty posted:

3-2 you mean.

It's been a while.

Jazama posted:

I don't exactly know how to feel about Godot yet. Maybe he will grow on me after a while. Or maybe I will hate him.

To me he's the weakest prosecutor of the original trilogy and the weak link of T&T. He just isn't that interesting. Although he does have his moments.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Volt Catfish posted:

gently caress Moe and his "Press him too hard and I'll penalize you!" bullshit :(

This is a mechanic I like that isn't used enough. Typically you press every witness statement without really thinking about why you're doing it. Penalties for pointless presses force you to think about what you're doing.

I only remember this mechanic in one of the cases of the first game, in 2-3, and then in the final testimony of 3-2.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Draile posted:

This is a mechanic I like that isn't used enough. Typically you press every witness statement without really thinking about why you're doing it. Penalties for pointless presses force you to think about what you're doing.

I only remember this mechanic in one of the cases of the first game, in 2-3, and then in the final testimony of 3-2.

I press dialogue to see the jokes and the writing, not to be penalized :v:

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Is Godot literally incapable of seeing the red stain on the apron? Is the answer a spoiler?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's not really relevant. It's just a one-off joke, is all.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Sometimes the only way to progress the trial is to press something and then press something else. It is especially annoying when the only way to progress is to present something that only exists when another part of the testimony is pressed.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

"I like pie 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513282306647093844609550582231725359408128481117450284102701938521105559644622948954930381964428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648..."

"I want the whole truth, no fractions!"

Moe is okay.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Jazama posted:

Is Godot literally incapable of seeing the red stain on the apron?

Yes.

Regalingualius posted:

It's not really relevant. It's just a one-off joke, is all.

It's the best joke in the trilogy I think you mean.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
First trial day done. I like Kudo's theme but otherwise he's an annoying, grouchy old man who constantly insists on giving yet another testimony. I think he gave four, but one of them seemed to go on forever. I guess his job of kimono embroidery is a remnant of the original Japanese. On a different note, is Gumshoe getting dumber or is it just me? Looking back, I think he was more competent in the original game.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jazama posted:

On a different note, is Gumshoe getting dumber or is it just me? Looking back, I think he was more competent in the original game.

It's not just you, he totally was.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You get what you paid for, and in Gumshoe's case it was less and less

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I tink he reaches the nadir of idiocy in AAI1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Then he gets back to his highest point in AAI2, if I'm remembering the game right.

• Locked thread