Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Deanut Pancer posted:

There's a dedicated WT thread if you haven't found it yet.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638861

I have now, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any reason to get a cheap flight sick if I have an xbox or ps2 controller?
Also all those saitek buttons look sexy and make me nerdgasm but dedicated button boxes for flight sim may be overboard.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

e.pilot posted:

Anyone play war thunder? Not the most realistic flying game but it's a lot of fun to play.

The best prop based flight game right now is Battle of Stalingrad but I keep going back to War Thunder regularly just for the massive variety of planes and active playerbase.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

Is there any reason to get a cheap flight sick if I have an xbox or ps2 controller?
Also all those saitek buttons look sexy and make me nerdgasm but dedicated button boxes for flight sim may be overboard.

If you want to play anything with any more fidelity than say, Rise of Flight, you really need at least a Xtreme 3D pro. You can take off and stuff with a Ps controller but fine movements are generally harder (like shooting something) and why you need a big stick, not to mention dog fighting having a throttle and a twist rudder is great and more intuitive than pressing buttons / using triggers.

If you want to fly a jumbo in FSX you really need a big stick because you need two hands for a controller and you only have limited amount of buttons, where as with a stick you have a hand free you can use for whatever in a pinch.

That's my experience, I played Rise of Flight with a Ps3 controller and FSX with a mouse for a while and a cheap stick is amazing. It's like going from a ps3 controller to a cheap wheel, like night and day.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's something like you can play your console racing game smashfest with a controller (most people are) and have a couple of hours of fun before you get frustrated because you can never nail that corner consistently and everyone else is constantly smashing into you.

But you won't be able to drive decently - at all - with a controller if you go to something like iRacing. You don't have to be really into racing to play iRacing either, it's just more fun as there is a lot less smashing and it feels a lot more fun to drive the car as you have a lot more control.

Could someone please just write a sentence about making the Steam version of FSX look better? Perhaps you can't? It really does look old as balls and I want to play some more, but I'm thinking XPlane now just so I don't have to see that horrible poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any recommendations on a $40 or sub $40 stick?

I have a wheel and totally know what you mean but isn't flying a bit slower paced where fine movements arent the difference between winning and losing. I def don't have room for a yolk, gotta keep my wheel for driving.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U

This is the uhhh, Driving Force GT of sticks. I guess :shrug:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I have this stick and it is perfectly fine for like literally any flight game until you are at the point of buying a TrackIR or something then getting a 2nd spergmode stick after that.

For reference, hundreds of hours flight time with it and no problems other than a lack of buttons.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have the driving force gt of racing so then it fits.
What about this thing?

Saitek CYBORG V.1 FLIGHT STICK (Video Game / PC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KMKA6I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MOoMub0KFNAZM

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010
I used to play FSX a lot years ago and quickly bought the Steam version for the hell of it, it's a good incentive for me to get back into flight simulators after I got a nice controller for Elite: Dangerous. Anyways, should I pick up X-Plane? 30$ on Steam is almost an impulse buy for me but I've never tried anything in the X-Plane series before.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah I grabbed FSX too from all the play I used to pour into it, many years ago I got really comfortable with the 737-800 and it was a great experience that I remember to this day. But, firing up FSX now is depressing and from the details in this thread... it doesn't seem an easy thing to make it less ancient.

There are some good comparison videos online of the two products.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tater_salad posted:

Any recommendations on a $40 or sub $40 stick?

I have a wheel and totally know what you mean but isn't flying a bit slower paced where fine movements arent the difference between winning and losing. I def don't have room for a yolk, gotta keep my wheel for driving.

watch ebay and Craigslist for an X52, I paid $50 for mine

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Naughty McGee posted:

I used to play FSX a lot years ago and quickly bought the Steam version for the hell of it, it's a good incentive for me to get back into flight simulators after I got a nice controller for Elite: Dangerous. Anyways, should I pick up X-Plane? 30$ on Steam is almost an impulse buy for me but I've never tried anything in the X-Plane series before.

I moved to xplane to practice ifr general aviation work and never looked back. And that's with the stock baron.

The lancair for fsx is the only plane I really miss.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If you want a cheap stick that probably doesn't die in 2 years the Thrustmaster T16000M is a good choice.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Hekk posted:

I too have been eyeballing X-Plane but it looks like the default aircraft are kind of poo poo and I am not looking to spend another 50 bucks a plane for something modeled decently.

Carenado has a Christmas sale until the 31st, with a few of their X-Plane models at :10bux:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Carenado has a Christmas sale until the 31st, with a few of their X-Plane models at :10bux:

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to check the site out. I wound up picking up X-Plane last night because honestly 30 bucks is a pretty good deal and it's not like FSX is getting any newer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sellouts posted:

I moved to xplane to practice ifr general aviation work and never looked back. And that's with the stock baron.

The lancair for fsx is the only plane I really miss.

You can get the derpy looking legacy fg from aerobask for xplane now.

http://www.aerobask.com/legacy/legacy-xplane.php

At least you don't have to look at the fixed gear when you're in the plane.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is xPlane a whole lot prettier than FSX? and is it just gaining a lot of spergy for someone who'se a casual flight simmer.. (it's today's sperg of the month.. just like I was with racing and a host of other things I get into)

And will it make a difference to me?
Geforce210 1GB
Core2 Duo 3ghz
4GB ram

I'm gettin all spergy about my old flightsim days of yore..
at 10 years old I must have flown from Gates Field (I think that was the airstrip on the water) to Ohare 100's of times.

Then later on I had xplane (I still have the CD's somewhere) and flew around the world the wrong way (North South) as well as the right way.. but the monotony of having it fly on 6x for hours while sitting next to the TV kind of made it lose it's appeal.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
You'll need a lot more than 4gb of ram if you want it to look pretty unfortunately.

xplane at night is a thing to behold though

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

e.pilot posted:

You'll need a lot more than 4gb of ram if you want it to look pretty unfortunately.

xplane at night is a thing to behold though

Thanks..
me N my garbage dick will just stick with FSX for now then..
I'm sure it's pretty as hell but I don't have a gaming rig.. just a rig that I use for gaming

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 23, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

at 10 years old I must have flown from Gates Field (I think that was the airstrip on the water) to Ohare 100's of times.

Meigs field. May Mayor Daley roast in the fires of hell, forever, an infinite number of dicks in his mouth.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I'm going to take a wild guess and figure that you can't take your boxed FSX GOLD EDITION and convert the key to steam right?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's a different game. Steam edition uses Steam for multiplayer, your profile and there is a number of things they tweaked.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

a .25 cent discount on orion prelude beat out a $30 discount for IL2, GG steam users

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ethanol posted:

a .25 cent discount on orion prelude beat out a $30 discount for IL2, GG steam users

"LOLZ IT HSZ CARDS"
OH BOY $.75 OFF..
the other 2 games are $13 off and $15 more of a discount if they won.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Il2:BOS has cards.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Well I got FSX on Steam and I've got 24 hours playing now, and I was wondering why my planes were suddenly pulling to the left. I was looking for workarounds or whatever and saw a bunch of suggestions including modifying .cfg files or whatever.

It turns out that I guess it's a quirk of single-prop planes, they start to roll and nothing will stop it aside from cutting the engine. So if it is intentional, that's an awesome detail and reduces my frustration to almost zero.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

im pooping! posted:

Well I got FSX on Steam and I've got 24 hours playing now, and I was wondering why my planes were suddenly pulling to the left. I was looking for workarounds or whatever and saw a bunch of suggestions including modifying .cfg files or whatever.

It turns out that I guess it's a quirk of single-prop planes, they start to roll and nothing will stop it aside from cutting the engine. So if it is intentional, that's an awesome detail and reduces my frustration to almost zero.

Are you just talking about the propeller torque from the counter clockwise motion of the prop? It'll make aircraft pull to the left but you should be able to trim that out pretty easily with your aileron trim.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 25, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You'll need a set of rudder pedals. Welcome to flight simming, where the game is the cheapest purchase you'll make.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You don't need pedals. The twist on any cheap stick is fine for rudder control.

I do need them because I have a fancy stick with no twist. :(

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Shanakin posted:

Il2:BOS has cards.
Welp...

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Elukka posted:

You don't need pedals. The twist on any cheap stick is fine for rudder control.

I do need them because I have a fancy stick with no twist. :(

Twisting a stick to the right so that your wrist is bending backwards, and holding it there for potentially long periods of time to counteract torque and P-factor, is not really my idea of fine. I'd rather just turn auto rudder on than do that to my wrist personally. I dunno, maybe that's just me though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
That's why they invented trim.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Shanakin posted:

That's why they invented trim.

Except for all those light prop aircraft that don't have aileron or rudder trim.

I suppose you could just "cheat" it and use FSX to still apply trim in aircraft that don't have it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Elenkis posted:

Except for all those light prop aircraft that don't have aileron or rudder trim.

I suppose you could just "cheat" it and use FSX to still apply trim in aircraft that don't have it.

Yeah seriously gently caress those planes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sounds like some people need to man the gently caress up and build those leg muscles. :smuggo:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is force feedback as important for flight sims as it is for driving? After getting a force wheel I can't go back on my racing sims, but the non-force wheels always seemed to be missing something major where I never had the same feeling when playing JetFighter 2 back in the day.

edit: Also how important is having a lot of buttons? I still have my CH Flightstick from '90-something, but it's a gameport device and not only do I not have any modern computers with the port but I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't even support gameport anymore. The Logitech 3D stick costs about the same as the parts to build a USB HID adapter and while I like a project I also like shiny things with buttons.

vvv yea I know, I derped, that's why I edited out the question about the basic stick and shifted it to the force/button stuff.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 25, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

wolrah posted:

Is force feedback as important for flight sims as it is for driving? After getting a force wheel I can't go back on my racing sims, but the non-force wheels always seemed to be missing something major where I never had the same feeling when playing JetFighter 2 back in the day.

It's on this very loving page!

tater_salad posted:

I have the driving force gt of racing so then it fits.
What about this thing?

Saitek CYBORG V.1 FLIGHT STICK (Video Game / PC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KMKA6I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_MOoMub0KFNAZM

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Elenkis posted:

Twisting a stick to the right so that your wrist is bending backwards, and holding it there for potentially long periods of time to counteract torque and P-factor, is not really my idea of fine. I'd rather just turn auto rudder on than do that to my wrist personally. I dunno, maybe that's just me though.

Yeah I was just pressing random buttons on my keyboard in FSX to figure out if there was a crash button, and there is a button that stops you from turning and just makes you steadily climb. Great when I had to fly 60 nmi in some slow float plane. As I said though now that I know it's a feature and not a bug, I feel better about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Sounds like some people need to man the gently caress up and build those leg muscles. :smuggo:

No rudder trim on the 109. The requirement to keep constant rudder trim was surprising to the allies that ended up test flying captured ones, and they developed tactics that relied on the 109 pilots suffering fatigue on rudder input.