Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

No one's aspiring to it though, it's "we have TOO MANY people going to college so some of them have to go somewhere else".

And you're not going to see a rich man's son become a plumber.

That's mostly a social thing, though. It's because people in the US have this kind of lack of willingness to speak to people from the "wrong" jobs. I've noticed I'm one of the few academics who is actually interested in talking to people doing retail or professional/physical labor. Otherwise in mixed social situations there's a real bubble. It's a mental shift that needs to be done.

As for a rich man's son becoming a plumber, they're not going to be adjuncting themselves to death or doing retail, are they? Who cares about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's mostly a social thing, though. It's because people in the US have this kind of lack of willingness to speak to people from the "wrong" jobs. I've noticed I'm one of the few academics who is actually interested in talking to people doing retail or professional/physical labor. Otherwise in mixed social situations there's a real bubble. It's a mental shift that needs to be done.

It's not just the US, that's exactly what Germany's system does. You take a test when you're 12 and that effectively determines your career for the rest of your life (you can move down but rarely up).

quote:

As for a rich man's son becoming a plumber, they're not going to be adjuncting themselves to death or doing retail, are they? Who cares about them.

Because this has all the makings of turning into (more) formalized class stratification , and especially in the US that means racial stratification too.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

computer parts posted:

It's not just the US, that's exactly what Germany's system does. You take a test when you're 12 and that effectively determines your career for the rest of your life (you can move down but rarely up).

:stare: That's, um, kind of a hosed up system. Are you straight up just not allowed to study for or work other jobs? And is this a test that you are only allowed to take once in your entire life?

If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then thank god I don't like in Germany, that sounds awful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Their down sounds more sensible than our down. At least it doesn't involve a career-useless degree and mountains of debt.

quote:

Because this has all the makings of turning into (more) formalized class stratification , and especially in the US that means racial stratification too.

So do we force this child of rich parents to be a plumber or a carpenter? I really don't see the point here. BA/BSc as a tool of socioeconomic mobility is a bankrupt notion, ironically leaving people with debt that can't be discharged through bankruptcy - and those aren't the kids of rich folks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VerdantSquire posted:

:stare: That's, um, kind of a hosed up system. Are you straight up just not allowed to study for or work other jobs? And is this a test that you are only allowed to take once in your entire life?

If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then thank god I don't like in Germany, that sounds awful.

You get put into one of three class tracks - the lowest one is for trades, the middle one is for white collar work, and the upper one is for theoretical sciences and math and stuff. You spend a few years in that and then you go to whatever school you've been training for

I don't think it's the law that you can't switch but in practice no one ever goes from a trade school to a white collar school.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Their down sounds more sensible than our down. At least it doesn't involve a career-useless degree and mountains of debt.

Our system's problem is one of funding, their system's problem is institutional.

quote:

So do we force this child of rich parents to be a plumber or a carpenter? I really don't see the point here. BA/BSc as a tool of socioeconomic mobility is a bankrupt notion, ironically leaving people with debt that can't be discharged through bankruptcy - and those aren't the kids of rich folks.

My point is that you're forcing minorities to do lower class work. That's not something we want to encourage.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

There's no good reason for inheritance of any kind. Provide universal housing, health care, college education and GMI. If pops wants to leave you his train set or his Camaro fine. Trusts? Businesses? Sorry, they should revert to state ownership. And if millionaires try to flee the country their accounts should be frozen and their necks implanted with an RFID chip.
So.. suppose I've spent my life building up a small business manufacturing widgets. Like many other small businesses my family knows how it's run inside and out. My oldest son is the people person knows the small world of widget buyer/sellers like the back of his hand. My youngest son has decades of widget design experience. When I die they could easily take over the business.

In your world the government would get control and likely send the whole drat thing bankrupt because they have no experience or interest in running Another Random Business. People would be out of work, specialized knowledge would be lost, and the community would be poorer.

SedanChair you are a loving lunatic.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
The best way to fix the US educational system is to accept that yes, people mainly go to University to improve their job prospects, and gut the stupid amount of time spent studying things unrelated to your major. If university was free than wasting time on Philosophy whilst studying Chemistry is one thing, but you guys are being charged an arm and a leg for the privilege.

End student loans and subsidize courses that directly benefit society (eg not Underwater Basket Weaving), and make students sign a bit of paper that lists the average income earned by graduates of that course before starting. Let the market return prices where they belong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

My point is that you're forcing minorities to do lower class work. That's not something we want to encourage.

How do you want to decide who gets to be a plumber?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you want to decide who gets to be a plumber?

I don't care who gets to be a plumber, I care who gets to be a white collar worker.

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

computer parts posted:

I don't care who gets to be a plumber, I care who gets to be a white collar worker.

Ok, how do you decide that?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Well, that's your problem. You basically want a social system which doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than this specific path to greatness that doesn't work for even most people who take it. I think it's just as important who gets to be a plumber, because as it stands right now, the professions are usually family affairs and generally poorly known, so people who will not make it as white-collar workers don't even know how to get there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, that's your problem. You basically want a social system which doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than this specific path to greatness that doesn't work for even most people who take it. I think it's just as important who gets to be a plumber, because as it stands right now, the professions are usually family affairs and generally poorly known, so people who will not make it as white-collar workers don't even know how to get there.

And my point is that "people who won't make it as white collar workers" are generally those that the system fails (i.e., minorities).

Stuffing a field full of minorities isn't going to make it prestigious unless you fix the underlying issues that failed them in the first place.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VerdantSquire posted:

The test just determines who gets resources to university vs. trades. You are not forced down a path, but you are certainly "gently" nudged. It is not as bad as it sounds because trades are highly valued in German society and the wage gap between blue and white collar jobs is not the same as it is in the US. However, this relies on maintaining cultural values that seem to be eroding across Europe.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Lil Parachute posted:

The best way to fix the US educational system is to accept that yes, people mainly go to University to improve their job prospects, and gut the stupid amount of time spent studying things unrelated to your major. If university was free than wasting time on Philosophy whilst studying Chemistry is one thing, but you guys are being charged an arm and a leg for the privilege.

End student loans and subsidize courses that directly benefit society (eg not Underwater Basket Weaving), and make students sign a bit of paper that lists the average income earned by graduates of that course before starting. Let the market return prices where they belong.

There is a reason that people in the sciences are expected to take classes outside of their discipline; being well-rounded is critical to being a contributing member of society. Also I have to laugh at the idea that philosophy is a "waste of time" for those in the sciences. Science without ethics is a nasty prospect.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 28, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

And my point is that "people who won't make it as white collar workers" are generally those that the system fails (i.e., minorities).

Stuffing a field full of minorities isn't going to make it prestigious unless you fix the underlying issues that failed them in the first place.

What is failing them? How is not having trade school as an option in high-school helping minorities? Because I don't see the upside.

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure even our economy can't support an economy with only white collar workers at this point. Unless you know something about robot plumbers coming out next year?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Qublai Qhan posted:

I don't really disagree but in terms of 'education leading to a profession directly related to the economy' applied sciences of every kind are pretty much at the top of the ladder both in terms of intellectual effort and (I think) average financial return (I said I think because my guess would be that education that helps get into the more lucrative management positions is probably a bit of a gamble and probably ends up being less rewarding on average, but that's just my instinct and it may not be correct).

That isn't meant as a dig at theoretical science, theoretical science is awesome but the number of people we can sit in a lab doing fuzzy things isn't something that is really very well driven by markets so it's almost always going to be the product of public policy. What this means is that if your interest in getting an education is primarily to get a big financial return your best bet is probably going to be in some form of applied science because there are a ton of high paying jobs available for engineers, physicians, computer scientists, pharmaceutical scientists, etc.

In terms of intellectual stimulation though I think it's also worth mentioning that in something like computer science you can get more out of it if you're willing to put more into it. It may be difficult to participate in creative writing without really challenging yourself and evolutionary biology is multi-disciplinary to an extent that if you come at it head on you have a poo poo-ton to learn but if you go at computer science with some purpose other than getting a job as a web applications developer then it can be just as challenging and rewarding. On the other hand it does give you that option and you'll get job offers even before finishing your CS degree whereas if your goal is to be a scientist or professor (or both) you'll need to do another 4-6 years of school afterwards and really you'd better plan on being pretty drat smart if you want to mainly be pursuing your own interests rather than doing what someone else wants you to (which I'm assuming is a big part of the goal, here).

Even then, applied sciences are quickly becoming less of a "sure thing" out of college. I posted a few pages back about how engineering/tech majors straight out of school have unemployment rates similar to those in fields people would consider "hobbies" in this thread, e.g. Theater and Drama Arts. This doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as some people are suggesting.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Lil Parachute posted:

So.. suppose I've spent my life building up a small business manufacturing widgets. Like many other small businesses my family knows how it's run inside and out. My oldest son is the people person knows the small world of widget buyer/sellers like the back of his hand. My youngest son has decades of widget design experience. When I die they could easily take over the business.

In your world the government would get control and likely send the whole drat thing bankrupt because they have no experience or interest in running Another Random Business. People would be out of work, specialized knowledge would be lost, and the community would be poorer.

SedanChair you are a loving lunatic.

Your son would have the opportunity to earn the same wage as every other worker at the widget factory putting his knowledge to use.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What is failing them? How is not having trade school as an option in high-school helping minorities? Because I don't see the upside.

People who fit the mold of "not right for college" will tend to be minorities.

This is because they were not properly educated in school (primary through high school).

This is because they are chronically underfunded.

And this is because our system is fundamentally racist.

Just going "let's funnel them off to this [coincidentally] low prestige field" is not going to solve anything.

Qublai Qhan posted:

I'm pretty sure even our economy can't support an economy with only white collar workers at this point. Unless you know something about robot plumbers coming out next year?

I didn't say it would only be white collar workers. I said that white collar work is the most prestigious of non-Rich People work and that it is vitally important to have minorities in there at significant rates.

I mean you can see this already in the tech bubble - do you think having all the programmers be white people or model minorities is a good thing while all of the support staff are black people and Hispanics, even if the latter supposedly pays well?

DBlanK
Feb 7, 2004

Living In The Real World

computer parts posted:

No one's aspiring to it though ... And you're not going to see a rich man's son become a plumber.
Why is no one aspiring to be a plumber? Do they not see the rewards of helping others?
Maybe we need a futures market on plumbing breakdown, that way plumbers can get paid even when poo poo is ok,
And when poo poo is exploding everywhere the rich man's son can profit by abusing people when they are in most need of help.
Another option is to make sure all plumbers get laid constantly, in compensation for the poo poo they gotta deal with.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DBlanK posted:

Why is no one aspiring to be a plumber? Do they not see the rewards of helping others?

You're talking about the USA, one of the most highly "individualistic" developed countries in the modern world.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

420DD Butts posted:

There is a reason that people in the sciences are expected to take classes outside of their discipline; being well-rounded is critical to being a contributing member of society.

Australia (and many other countries) generally focus on what Adults entered university to learn, and there is no huge outcry about it. Exactly how many dollars is the average student spending to become "well-rounded" at university? Please factor in fulltime income lost due to time spent whilst studying.

quote:

Also I have to laugh at the idea that philosophy is a "waste of time" for those in the sciences. Science without ethics is an nasty prospect.
Realistically how long should a specialized ethics subject take? At the end of the day if someone is a horrible human being a few university courses isn't going to change that.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Your son would have the opportunity to earn the same wage as every other worker at the widget factory putting his knowledge to use.
That assumes the company will still be there after a year, given it will be run by bureaucrats with no specialized knowledge on the Widget industry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

People who fit the mold of "not right for college" will tend to be minorities.

This is because they were not properly educated in school (primary through high school).

This is because they are chronically underfunded.

And this is because our system is fundamentally racist.

Just going "let's funnel them off to this [coincidentally] low prestige field" is not going to solve anything.

So you want this system to be fundamentally racist and destine minorities to be manual laborers and lower-level service workers because perish the thought they do incrementally better, and, say, be in a position to be better able to help their own children overcome those gaps? You're encouraging a vicious circle because the perfect is beyond reach right now.

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings

420DD Butts posted:

Even then, applied sciences are quickly becoming less of a "sure thing" out of college. I posted a few pages back about how engineering/tech majors straight out of school have unemployment rates similar to those in fields people would consider "hobbies" in this thread, e.g. Theater and Drama Arts. This doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as some people are suggesting.

I'm not seeing your post on that, can you cite the statistics you're referring to? What you're saying doesn't sound really likely to me but I'd like to see what's actually being claimed before I try to take a random stab since this could be going any number of directions (including me just saying 'wow, ok, I'm wrong', I just kind of doubt it).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

420DD Butts posted:

You're talking about the USA, one of the most highly "individualistic" developed countries in the modern world.

As well, as previously stated, plumbers are not held in high regard in terms of class. Popular media is, as usual, a good reflection of this. Take a mental inventory of the sorts of professions that you tend to see celebrated or emphasized in television shows, films, and so on. They're generally upper class positions (doctors, lawyers, high-tech crime investigators, businesspeople, etc.), emphasizing repeatedly the desirability and overall superiority of these positions. The plumber, by contrast, is usually a background or comedy relief character; they are not someone who inspires awe or interest.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Lil Parachute posted:

Australia (and many other countries) generally focus on what Adults entered university to learn, and there is no huge outcry about it. Exactly how many dollars is the average student spending to become "well-rounded" at university? Please factor in fulltime income lost due to time spent whilst studying.

I generally do not look at the world through the lens of a cost-benefit analysis. Also - Core requirements typically only take up 1/3 of your credits. You an fill your schedule of general electives with whatever course load you want - it's precisely what I did when I had switched into the sciences, my electives were all inside my own major.

quote:

Realistically how long should a specialized ethics subject take? At the end of the day if someone is a horrible human being a few university courses isn't going to change that.

I like to think that it's not as simple as someone being a horrible human being, unless we are to posit that all business majors are predisposed to being horrible human beings. Having to take ethics classes did me a world of good in terms of forming my approach to my field. I imagine it is the same way for many others. Hell, a large chunk of biology/conservation is about establishing an ethical approach to field/lab work and you see scholars arguing this point over and over again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you want this system to be fundamentally racist and destine minorities to be manual laborers and lower-level service workers because perish the thought they do incrementally better, and, say, be in a position to be better able to help their own children overcome those gaps? You're encouraging a vicious circle because the perfect is beyond reach right now.

No, I want to fix the fundamental racism. Their children won't be helped if the system still fucks them over.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Qublai Qhan posted:

I'm not seeing your post on that, can you cite the statistics you're referring to? What you're saying doesn't sound really likely to me but I'd like to see what's actually being claimed before I try to take a random stab since this could be going any number of directions (including me just saying 'wow, ok, I'm wrong', I just kind of doubt it).

https://georgetown.app.box.com/s/9t0p5tm0qhejyy8t8hub

The only broad academic fields with <6%* unemployment as fresh college grads are Recreation and Education.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 28, 2014

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Why is everyone going on about plumbers like that's some low skill, low pay job?

I've got a close family member who is a master plumber and he pulls three digit dollars an hour plus a big markup on materials. A 10 hour custom install (pretty common in a large city) pays him more than a lot of people make in two or three weeks of work.

And the dedication and schooling it takes to become a master plumber is no joke either.

SedanChair posted:

Who would be managing this situation?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 28, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Why is everyone going on about plumbers like that's some low skill, low pay job?

I've got a close family member who is a master plumber and he pulls three digit dollars an hour plus a big markup on materials. A 10 hour custom install (pretty common in a large city) pays him more than a lot of people make in two or three weeks of work.

And the dedication and schooling it takes to become a master plumber is no joke either.

No one is, to my knowledge. Can you provide some posts that you believe say this? My particular point isn't that plumbing is a no-skill position that any idiot can do, but that it is not portrayed or emphasized as an important role in society in the same way that upper class professions are. Consequently, fewer people want to take it up as a profession.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vermain posted:

No one is, to my knowledge. Can you provide some posts that you believe say this? My particular point isn't that plumbing is a no-skill position that any idiot can do, but that it is not portrayed or emphasized as an important role in society in the same way that upper class professions are. Consequently, fewer people want to take it up as a profession.

Computer parts referred to it as lower class work, and someone else was going on about rich people not being plumbers.

Plumbers, heck any skilled tradesman/woman, can actually be the rich folks we're all talking about here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

No, I want to fix the fundamental racism. Their children won't be helped if the system still fucks them over.

Are you going to wave a magic wand and have that happen? If not, it's going to require a process. In that process, the child of an employed carpenter is likelier to get a white-collar job for a white-collar degree than is the child of an underemployed overqualified debt-ridden striver. You need to look at how this works generation-to-generation.

Hell, I look at most of the white people I know, and if I look a generation back, they came to be graduate students through trades and teaching; for quite a few of them they're the first in their family to do a PhD, but their parents weren't laborers.

There wasn't a lot of laborer-to-professor/businessman jumping even for my own family, and I'm an old-immigration Ashkenazi Jew in Israel.

Your problem is that you are blinded by how things go for the 1%, but that's not relevant to social processes that are going to improve things for the rest.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

Because manual labor is seen as inherently low-class in the American culture.

spacetoaster posted:

Computer parts referred to it as lower class work, and someone else was going on about rich people not being plumbers.

Plumbers, heck any skilled tradesman/woman, can actually be the rich folks we're all talking about here.

Not really, no. They can make it to the upper middle class, but it's debatable whether anyone really keeps working as a skilled trade worker after they're independently wealthy, let alone how many people manage to become independently wealthy as trade workers. And their children don't work as plumbers, either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

It is lower class. Median income is above average but that speaks more to how dogshit our wealth divide is here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hell, I look at most of the white people I know, and if I look a generation back, they came to be graduate students through trades and teaching; for quite a few of them they're the first in their family to do a PhD, but their parents weren't laborers.

Hmm, it's almost as if there's some distinguishing factor there.

To be more direct: a black plumber is going to live in a black neighborhood. This means they send their kids to the black school, which is dogshit. This means that their kid has little to no opportunities outside of what that black plumber had as a kid. And the system persists.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

It's almost as if you're bad at sarcasm. I'm saying that trades are a necessary, not a sufficient step. What you are effectively saying is "oh, well, since we live in a racist country let's remove that step and make it even less likely for minorities to succeed".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

It is lower class. Median income is above average but that speaks more to how dogshit our wealth divide is here.

To be more direct: a black plumber is going to live in a black neighborhood. This means they send their kids to the black school, which is dogshit. This means that their kid has little to no opportunities outside of what that black plumber had as a kid. And the system persists.

Well, not really. A black plumber that's making 80 grand a year is living in a neighborhood where his or her white neighbors are making 30 grand a year. Or in other words, if you can make it to the upper-middle-class while black, you get the privilege of living in a lower-middle-class to working-class white neighborhood.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's almost as if you're bad at sarcasm. I'm saying that trades are a necessary, not a sufficient step. What you are effectively saying is "oh, well, since we live in a racist country let's remove that step and make it even less likely for minorities to succeed".

The idea that you move from trades to white-collar requires a permanent underclass of some kind to prevent everyone from ending up in an office job within a few generations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Effectronica posted:

The idea that you move from trades to white-collar requires a permanent underclass of some kind to prevent everyone from ending up in an office job within a few generations.

computer parts` argument is that the white-collar workforce needs to be more diverse. I am saying that the path from laborer/low-end-service to white-collar in my experience predominantly goes through trades. So by insisting on the status quo, where trades are not promoted anywhere nearly to the same level as debt-inducing college, it decreases the chance of the white-collar workforce diversifying. I wasn't talking about paths from white-collar to trades; that is going to become more and more likely as the realization that white-collar is saturated sinks in. As for white-collar/trades to laborer, well, there's nothing barring that happening for people who aren't part of the 1%. If I come from a family with a few white-collar and blue-collar people and I don't make it, I guess I'll labor. That requires a different front of, say, raising the minimum wage, or introducing mincome, or whatnot, to make sure that those jobs are manageable.

These are all different fights and there's no reason to refuse to fight them individually just because it's not going to solve all the problems at once.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

. If I come from a family with a few white-collar and blue-collar people and I don't make it, I guess I'll labor.

If you have kids, will you tell them "you should go be a plumber"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

computer parts` argument is that the white-collar workforce needs to be more diverse. I am saying that the path from laborer/low-end-service to white-collar in my experience predominantly goes through trades. So by insisting on the status quo, where trades are not promoted anywhere nearly to the same level as debt-inducing college, it decreases the chance of the white-collar workforce diversifying. I wasn't talking about paths from white-collar to trades; that is going to become more and more likely as the realization that white-collar is saturated sinks in. As for white-collar/trades to laborer, well, there's nothing barring that happening for people who aren't part of the 1%. If I come from a family with a few white-collar and blue-collar people and I don't make it, I guess I'll labor. That requires a different front of, say, raising the minimum wage, or introducing mincome, or whatnot, to make sure that those jobs are manageable.

These are all different fights and there's no reason to refuse to fight them individually just because it's not going to solve all the problems at once.

The problem is that people want upward mobility and they don't want to fall. In order for this to happen, there needs to be an underclass to provide a barrier against downward mobility and this is largely a matter of race in the USA. Ending white supremacy means significantly rethinking class relationships or creating a new, non-racial underclass that can provide that same barrier. If white-collar, blue-collar, pink-collar, etc. were all roughly equivalent and mobility was largely lateral, much, though not all, of these issues would be resolved, but that of course requires, if not full communism, at least something very close to it.

• Locked thread