Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Look on the bright side! An entire new generation is being introduced to Billy Coen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It will also introduce new players to grappling hook and exciting "oh goddamit I need that again? Where the poo poo did I leave that" gameplay.

Who am I kidding nobody new is gonna play that shitheap.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The only proper way to play this game is by using cheats.

that way you never need to backtrack.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Capcom are utter monsters to inflict that game on a new generation.

Cheer up, at least it's not Dead Aim HD Remaster.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Cheer up, at least it's not Dead Aim HD Remaster.

I liked Dead Aim more than Zero. If Survivor didn't exist Zero would be the worst game in the series. :colbert:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

poo poo, I'm expecting a Code Veronica re-release at this rate. Don't do it Capcom, I hated that game and will for some reason end up buying it again. :retrogames:

The early 2000's were the dark age of RE, I don't want to revisit that time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Come on Resident Evil: Gaiden HD remake. Finally GBC sprites in glorious 1080p. And Barry.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Give me Outbreak HD or go to hell.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

This better be leading up to Capcom giving RE2 the REmake HD treatment. I will always keep the hope alive!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

It will also introduce new players to grappling hook and exciting "oh goddamit I need that again? Where the poo poo did I leave that" gameplay.

Who am I kidding nobody new is gonna play that shitheap.

It's possible they'll adjust that in a remaster. Not 100% likely but they could at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sivek posted:

poo poo, I'm expecting a Code Veronica re-release at this rate. Don't do it Capcom, I hated that game and will for some reason end up buying it again. :retrogames:

The early 2000's were the dark age of RE, I don't want to revisit that time.

Code Veronica HD was released a year or two ago though, same time as RE 4 HD.

Barudak posted:

Come on Resident Evil: Gaiden HD remake. Finally GBC sprites in glorious 1080p. And Barry.

The ending of that game would explain why Leon is superhuman in later games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He bleeds red in RE4. Now RE7 co-op of Leon and Not-Leon would be amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Capcom is HD remastering every goddamn game except the one I really want... Dragon's Dogma. Stabilize the framerate and holy poo poo, perfect.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've never played Gaiden (nor read your LP of it, sorry TDI. I read all the other RE LPs!) but the original concept for RE4 was Leon being infected with a virus. I'm not sure if it was supposed to tie in with Gaiden. I know it was supposed to tie in with RE0. Then they said "this idea sucks" and scrapped it a good ways into development. A common theme in Leon-centered games, going by RE1.5.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

NikkolasKing posted:

If this is legit, I will buy it most definitely.

Yeah, I love Resident Evil Zero. Always have, always will. It's got a ton of issues but I've never understood the foaming hatred some have for it.

Seconding this. Would some people who don't like it mind saying what it is they don't like about it? It's probably one of the harder if not the hardest REs... is it really just the item dropping/partner system? And please don't cop out by saying 'I disliked all of it', surely there had to be one thing you liked the least.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Resident Evil Zero was honestly not bad. I have fond memories of it, anyway.

What if they like, put item boxes back in for the HD remaster? That'd be kind of nice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's just really boring and derivative. None of the locations look interesting enough to explore, the leech zombies are a gigantic pain in the rear end, the protagonists are the two least important characters in the RE series and it's got completely incomprehensible geography like how you suddenly end up in the middle of Raccoon City in the labs of RE 2.

Then you've got the aforementioned stuff like the hookshot taking up two inventory slots and you never need it for most of the midgame but whoops, you need it a lot towards the end hope you like backtracking to the train and it's just a pain in the rear end.

Edit: I guess it's not a bad game, it's just a really boring one and considering how stupid and crazy Resident Evil games get, that's a pretty big mark against it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Resident Evil Zero features Wesker and Birkin celebrating the lamest Saturday night known to Man, so that's something.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ApexAftermath posted:

This better be leading up to Capcom giving RE2 the REmake HD treatment. I will always keep the hope alive!

see I would be ok with this if they could get everyone back from the original cast, or at least get Alex Mercer to not sound like he does every other time he is Leon. He did alright for Darkside Chronicles but I kinda miss the original guy and his "ADA...WAIT :downs:". That and since Alyson Court isn't voicing Claire for Revelations 2 I'd be skeptical of them bringing her back for a remake of 2

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
If new voice actors needed to be a thing for a Resident Evil 2 remake to happen, I'd be willing to accept that at this point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aces High posted:

see I would be ok with this if they could get everyone back from the original cast, or at least get Alex Mercer to not sound like he does every other time he is Leon. He did alright for Darkside Chronicles but I kinda miss the original guy and his "ADA...WAIT :downs:". That and since Alyson Court isn't voicing Claire for Revelations 2 I'd be skeptical of them bringing her back for a remake of 2

They already replaced Paul Mercier for RE6. Same for Ada I believe. Never played the game, just heard this.

I'm surprised Alyson didn't return, she has been the one consistent light in RE voice-acting since 2. She's pretty much the only voice that has returned in every installment I believe. Sucks she's gone too.

I think they just switched to non-Union people now maybe? I never did get a clear reason for why they didn't bring Paul and the others back for RE6.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aces High posted:

The original actor for Chief Irons was so loving hammy it just wrapped around to being awesome.

God drat, I want REmake 2 so loving bad, why won't you take my money Capcom :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

If this is legit, I will buy it most definitely.

Yeah, I love Resident Evil Zero. Always have, always will. It's got a ton of issues but I've never understood the foaming hatred some have for it.

They let you drop items anywhere but then took out item chests and I will never forgive them for it.

Cyra posted:

If new voice actors needed to be a thing for a Resident Evil 2 remake to happen, I'd be willing to accept that at this point.

It'll never happen because Capcom would have to put in more than the minimum amount of effort and only SE can get away with porting a PS1 game unaltered.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 28, 2014

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Seconding this. Would some people who don't like it mind saying what it is they don't like about it? It's probably one of the harder if not the hardest REs... is it really just the item dropping/partner system? And please don't cop out by saying 'I disliked all of it', surely there had to be one thing you liked the least.

I think it's just that the series had run out of steam. They were running out of animals to reanimate, so they gave us leeches, a giant scorpion (that comes out of nowhere), giant centipede, zombie chimps, giant bat, etc. There's not some specific reason that a giant snake works better than a giant bug, but it just seemed kind of goofy to me.

The partner system was interesting, but a most of if it was just simple, boring stuff - one person flips a switch while the other pushes a box, etc. They had different attributes, but they ended up feeling like drawbacks – Billy can't mix herbs, Rebecca starts limping after getting scratched by a zombie's fingernail. The AI character was prone to wasting ammo and getting hurt if you let it attack, so you typically just used one character like normal while the other stared off into space.

The item system was presented as a big change, but it didn't really work that well. It was nice that you could drop a key to use an herb and pick the key back up, but that was offset by having to ferry lots of items back and forth from the big chapters of the game. Even though you had a total of 12 inventory slots, the hookshot + grenade launcher + shotgun takes up half of that, and that doesn't count ammo, herbs, the magnum, or either handgun. It ended up playing like REmake's Real Survival, which was an optional mode that served as one of the hardest challenges in the game.

I think if they added item boxes, it would definitely make it more accessible. Anything else would be a lot harder to fix.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Well here's a free tip to anyone who decides to play through it again if it does get an HD remake: If you know you're going to have to fight a leech zombie, give the molotovs to your partner. They're able to aim them much more effectively than you are, and you can keep it focused on you by plugging away with your pistol or whatever.

Also, regarding the second boss, for whatever reason the grenade launcher does barely any more damage than your shotgun against it so you're better off just using the shotgun. Took me way too drat long to figure that out.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think if they added item boxes, it would definitely make it more accessible. Anything else would be a lot harder to fix.

You're right, but it always amuses me that back when that game came out the item dropping was in response to how "unrealistic" the item boxes were. In a game series with zombie leeches and zombie sharks. Yep.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

NikkolasKing posted:

They already replaced Paul Mercier for RE6. Same for Ada I believe. Never played the game, just heard this.

right, Paul was his name. I didn't realise he was replaced in 6 because his replacement sounded pretty similar.

I checked imdb because I had thought all the RE2 VAs had returned for ORC but, again, it's only Alyson Court. Actually checking her twitter it seems she subtly let everyone know she wasn't going to be Claire for Revelations 2 a long time ago :smith: https://twitter.com/acourtroom/status/509815678514511873

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, I never had a problem with the Eliminators/zombie monkeys. You would think zombie monkeys are the most logical BOWs. Don't you test poo poo out on mammals if you want to use them on humans?

REZero's bosses were amazingly lame though, I can't deny that. The only one I kinda like is the Proto Tyrant and that's because it looks like some sort of undead thing from a fantasy game.

And while this is an exceedingly minor thing, I've always loved REZero's Save Room Theme more than any other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96BQgenoTwE

Code Veronica be next.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
RE0 was my first foray into the series so at the time I thought it was great, but only because I didn't know what the experience could be like.

I still like Rebecca and Billy, but I'd rather see those two in a different game. RE5 PC never got that DLC! :sigh:

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011
Resident Evil Zero would have been much improved if you actually PLAY as Wesker and Birkin. Explore their perspective, learn about the backstory more directly, Marcus becomes less pointless by actually trying to avenge his own death rather than harassing two random people. Hell you can even keep the herb mixing for Birkin and the strength for Wesker etc.

I want to like the game it's beautiful, the mechanics are an improvement and some of the environments are interesting but the plot makes as much sense as some of the geography and all character interaction stops after the train. They really should have added more ambient dialogue between characters when exploring areas or fighting or just something. Anything.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aces High posted:

I checked imdb because I had thought all the RE2 VAs had returned for ORC but, again, it's only Alyson Court. Actually checking her twitter it seems she subtly let everyone know she wasn't going to be Claire for Revelations 2 a long time ago :smith: https://twitter.com/acourtroom/status/509815678514511873

poo poo, I really liked her voice, it just fit nicely with Claire's "coolest big sister" character.

Legit sad about this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It doesn't completely stop after the train. Rebecca hears Billy's backstory while they are in the Umbrella Research Center for example. I also would have liked a bit more dialogue between them but hey, at this point the best we had was Leon falling in love with Ada after talking to her for five minutes and half of their dialogue consisting of Leon yelling her name ineffectually as she ran off. Billy and Rebecca at least spent a lot of time together. I think it helped make their comradery a bit more natural.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Geight posted:

RE0 was my first foray into the series so at the time I thought it was great, but only because I didn't know what the experience could be like.

I still like Rebecca and Billy, but I'd rather see those two in a different game. RE5 PC never got that DLC! :sigh:

RE 5 is getting converted to Steamworks so here's hoping they'll bundle the console DLC in. But who am I kidding, they probably won't. It's Capcom after all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's just really boring and derivative. None of the locations look interesting enough to explore, the leech zombies are a gigantic pain in the rear end, the protagonists are the two least important characters in the RE series and it's got completely incomprehensible geography like how you suddenly end up in the middle of Raccoon City in the labs of RE 2.

For the record, that last point isn't a flaw with the game; it's with a couple of generations of fans all misunderstanding the geography.

RE2 could do a better job pointing it out, but the tram ride under the city from the sewers to Birkin's lab takes a couple of hours, and the lab is actually out in the middle of the forest. You can see this if you look out the open side of the building when you get to the top of the elevator shaft above the lab. It's nothing but pine trees out there.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wanderer posted:

For the record, that last point isn't a flaw with the game; it's with a couple of generations of fans all misunderstanding the geography.

RE2 could do a better job pointing it out, but the tram ride under the city from the sewers to Birkin's lab takes a couple of hours, and the lab is actually out in the middle of the forest. You can see this if you look out the open side of the building when you get to the top of the elevator shaft above the lab. It's nothing but pine trees out there.

Having it explored partially in RE0 just raises new questions though. Such as, "why the hell does nobody seem to care about it at the time?"

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
You can explain away RE0-2's geography all you want, but RE3's will never make sense.

Who the gently caress designed Racoon City? The roads are useless!

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Wanderer posted:

Personally I object to this way less than the idea that a few hills over from the crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it, there's a second crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it that nobody has thus far given the slightest attention to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mogomra posted:

You can explain away RE0-2's geography all you want, but RE3's will never make sense.

Who the gently caress designed Racoon City? The roads are useless!

I know at least where it comes from, all the tiny streets and everything plonked down almost completely at random and at a crazy angle is pretty much every Japanese town.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Sakurazuka posted:

I know at least where it comes from, all the tiny streets and everything plonked down almost completely at random and at a crazy angle is pretty much every Japanese town.

I noticed this effect in the jeep ride you take in Leon's campaign in RE6. I thought it was kinda silly how ridiculously inclined and curved every road was. The street you fight your way through in Tall Oaks seems reasonably-designed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Geight posted:

I noticed this effect in the jeep ride you take in Leon's campaign in RE6. I thought it was kinda silly how ridiculously inclined and curved every road was. The street you fight your way through in Tall Oaks seems reasonably-designed, though.

To be fair, the jeep ride does take place in China while Tall Oaks is meant to be in America so it'd make some sense, Chinese roads are a bit of a clusterfuck.