Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

book posted:

Is advanced zoom worth getting or am I better served spending xp elsewhere?

I'd probably spend it elsewhere. It's a very slapdash module in that it zooms you in all the way and then zooms the middle of your screen a bit more, but the middle bit doesn't really sync up properly with the rest of your view when it comes to things like target indicators. Your best bet is to steal one of Gwaihir's tricks and just lean a bit nearer to the monitor when sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

book posted:

If you put a magnifying glass on your screen, that would be the same as advanced zoom.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

book posted:

Only if you want to be a xX360_eLiTe_SwAgSnIpErXx like me and stare at blurry zoomed in pixels. It's like picture in picture but because of technical limitations it doesn't actually render the scene again, just zooms it in further, so it just becomes bigger and uglier and more pixelly

It also bugs out all the time so then you get target indicators from dead mechs haunting you for the rest of the match

Kazvall posted:

3 x AC5/XL340
1 Gauss/2PPC/Standard engine
3 x AC10/XL engine
3 x LB10x/XL engine

These are all really really bad. If I were to run my ilya I'd probably just do 2 ac/10s and a PPC, or maybe dual gauss. It's a bad mech

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Kazvall posted:

There's a good number of builds...

1 Gauss/2PPC/Standard engine

Basically you're probably going to be using an XL engine unless you're doing the torso sniper build.

Had this one already so I'll roll with it.

Did they change jump jets? I have a few builds that cant get lift now with the number of jj's installed.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Let us not forget the chainsaw :black101: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=45f93715fb8df7f2d20e41a41cafef6c3a187ee7

Super 3 posted:

Did they change jump jets? I have a few builds that cant get lift now with the number of jj's installed.

They reduced the amount of lift and made the scaling different. They also generate a little bit of heat, too.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Westy543 posted:

Let us not forget the chainsaw :black101: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=45f93715fb8df7f2d20e41a41cafef6c3a187ee7

They reduced the amount of lift and made the scaling different. They also generate a little bit of heat, too.

I've got my AHK thing for that somewhere need to dust it off and rip into some people. I think I had the 2 ppc guass build with JJ's bc of the meta at the time when I quit playing.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I actually like one of my Mad Cat builds with an AC 10. poo poo feels good man. I have it, 3 Mediums, and some Srms and I can melt mechs in close. Plus aiming becomes kind of pointless which helps with getting fight tunnel vision out of one's mindset. Going 89 kph doesn't hurt either.

Though I am starting to find 3 medium lasers with Srms and main gun to taste is very pleasing to my play style in the Mad Cat. ER. Pulse. Streak. Normal. Some AC for a main gun. Load the Heat Sinks and ammo with maybe a Beagle Probe, TAG, or Targeting Computer and you can be a nice muderous mech in pub drop fun.

Of course given lots of the pubbies putting XL engines in everything it might be more their suck power than my robots having fun for me builds.

Some folks are very good with Gauss or PPCs but I just can't make em work for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Modpud you should probably learn the difference between "suboptimal" and "really really bad." I mean last time you called some dude's builds terrible and then posted your fixes it was all pretty minor tweaks like dropping AMS for an extra heatsink or tweaking engine size down one rating for some more arm armour. Chill out a bit and stop talking in absolutes.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
In Mechagame, you bring 12 3xERPPC Thunderbolts or go home.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, if it comes with concrete suggestions for improvement, I'm okay with the black and white view. Takes all kinds, mang.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
is there some agenda in recommending ilya builds which turn it into a glass cannon? is it for all the easy kills because if so, maybe i should get in on this. from my experience, using anything below a xl300 makes the mech one of the easiest targets in a game due to the lack of speed and poo poo torso twisting abilities, both of which do no favors for its low slung arms that will put you in danger whenever you can align a shot, especially if you're using the triple ballistics or dual gauss builds. yes, you can easily get the first kill but good luck after that since you'll always be a primary due to being the very definition of a glass cannon.

i had tried just about every build on the ilya and the only ones that seem to work for me are these two (ignore the armor allocation):

AC10 xl340 MUROMETS
LB10x xl340 MUROMETS

with a xl340, the ilya becomes a mean machine which can easily exit a brawl as easily as it enters one. the hitbox changes have helped in this regard and people often forget that the ilya can climb hills as effectively as a medium mech. the ac10 makes it a all around more serviceable mech at all ranges and the lb10xs are amazing at brawling and killing lights with ease, but not so amazing at anything else except being decent at picking apart cored mechs from a distance.

i can also recommend a dual ppc/erll and gauss build that takes advantage of the nice high laser/ballistic hardpoints on both side torsos. atleast with this build, you can use a slower engine since you can position yourself nicely along a hill or so, though your torsos are still vulnerable and other mechs such as the CTF=3D do it better.

teepo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 31, 2014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
We also should take into account that certain builds are simply easier to use than others, particularly for new players.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Modpud you should probably learn the difference between "suboptimal" and "really really bad." I mean last time you called some dude's builds terrible and then posted your fixes it was all pretty minor tweaks like dropping AMS for an extra heatsink or tweaking engine size down one rating for some more arm armour. Chill out a bit and stop talking in absolutes.

Those examples are both wrong though. Let's take a look at what my post actually said.

garth ferengi posted:

Always try to find ways to easily fit endo/ferro, never run an engine at one of the heat sink breakpoints(every 25 points, so 250 engines have 10(the minimum required amount) heat sinks inside, 275 is 10 with the potential to hold one more, etc) unless you're hurting for crit slots, try to put weapons in locations that make for effective peeking and poking(whether it's high mounts on the mech or by making an assymetric build to peek around corners with), and that's basically all the general advice that I have.

Here, let's just do a quick compare and contrast with my builds versus some builds OB_Juan and others have posted/that I've seen people using

ZombyDog's Centurion AL

My Centurion AL that is completely unchanged from its pre-ghost heat, pre-clan days

ZombyDog's has 16 crit slots free but doesn't actually throw ferro on to make use of it. I just do that, max out the armour(maximum armour is pretty important, since every single part of the centurion needs to be as tough as possible), and upgrade the engine a tad for good measure.

This is the Thunderbolt 9S build that I see used the most. It's not terrible.

But there's no real reason to mount a STD275 when you have 3 crit slots free. Downgrading to a 270(and moving a heatsink from your CT to your arm, which isn't really a big deal) gains you a full ton of arm armour, and the arms on the thunderbolt are almost as good of shields as the centurion. You could even go lower if you really wanted to. I experimented with it a tad and have settled with the 270.

My Thunderbolt 9S

It's also really important to just not load up mechs with lots of extraneous garbage. Things like beagle active probes(especially on things that don't even use missiles that need a lock, although if you're using something that needs a lock to fire you should probably just drive something more useful), AMS(which is a joke), and more than 2 jump jets(you will never need to jump that high unless you're trying to bring the poptart days of old back) clogging up tonnage and crit space can really make a mess of a build.

OB_Juan's Thunderbolt 5SS

This thing is pretty easily fixed. Just drop a single external heat sink, rip out the beagle active probe and AMS, throw in endo and a bigger engine, and voila!

A wonderful, near-perfect murder robot

Was this at all helpful?

e: Also in the current environment I would never ever recommend IS mediums to any new player. Or any player at all really. They're pretty bad.

The only mech that I actually called garbage(and the only one from ob_juan's post that I used as an example here) before making that post was the thunderbolt 5SS(although zombydog's centurion AL got edited into ob_juan's post after I said that most of his builds were poo poo), which is filled with things like BAP and AMS and a teeny tiny engine. It is in fact a really really bad mech

The thunderbolt 9S that I used as an example was something that I pulled out of my rear end and that nobody in here had posted

Perhaps you should actually read my posts before you try to call me out?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I think ppc and gauss platforms are pretty easy to learn, and the thunderbolt 9s comes with dual heat sinks and a not terrible engine. I would recommend it to a new player 9 times out of 10.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The parts about a thunderbolt that are in the exact same states as upon their release would be their size and hitboxes. I'd say they're rather unfriendly for a new player. It's their offensive power that has been tweaked, they're still as easy to hit(and thus kill) as before.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i've yet to use a thunderbolt and i understand that logic given how fast i run when i see one, but on the other end, this game is probably going to go through so many quirk revisions that buying a thunderbolt is the equivalent of buying the new flavor of the month LoL character only for it to be heavily nerfed in a month or two... or even the next day. this was the same reason PGI was so averse to adding quirks when it was suggested by countless people in the community because it meant they'd have to constantly re-balance the game, and the thunderbolt is a shining example of a mech that is at high risk of being altered.

the centurion on the other hand... the Cent-AL with 3LLs is a beast, the Cent-A is still as good as it was pre-ghostheat and the Cent-D has some interesting ballistic quirks. it doesn't do anything too exceptionally well meaning its nearly a risk-free investment and the perfect mech for newbies.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
When I think of what to advise new players on getting, I typically gravitate towards those that are not awfully cbill intensive and provide a platform for then to learn how to play better. What sort of qualities are you looking for when it comes to recommending new players mech?

Edit: and the answer is given before I even post. We'll played phone posting.

As someone who mastered out cents and love mediums quite a bit, I'd be afraid to recommend then to new players simply because they seem so fragile nowadays. And a lot of the gameplay is waiting for the moment to strike out and be a bit of a support mech Instead of sitting and exhaling shots.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 31, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

teepo posted:

i've yet to use a thunderbolt and i understand that logic given how fast i run when i see one, but on the other end, this game is probably going to go through so many quirk revisions that buying a thunderbolt is the equivalent of buying the new flavor of the month LoL character only for it to be heavily nerfed in a month or two... or even the next day. this was the same reason PGI was so averse to adding quirks when it was suggested by countless people in the community because it meant they'd have to constantly re-balance the game, and the thunderbolt is a shining example of a mech that is at high risk of being altered.

the centurion on the other hand... the Cent-AL with 3LLs is a beast, the Cent-A is still as good as it was pre-ghostheat and the Cent-D has some interesting ballistic quirks. it doesn't do anything too exceptionally well meaning its nearly a risk-free investment and the perfect mech for newbies.

Cent A is a lot worse because of 12v12. Before you could poke around and try to catch people out of position, but with 12v12 you gotta suck up to your fatties and wait until they engage to do anything. It's a lot worse and kind of boring to play now.

Firestarter is good, relatively cheap, and should teach you to fear everyone and everything. Also people should learn how to play lights.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Deofuta posted:

When I think of what to advise new players on getting, I typically gravitate towards those that are not awfully cbill intensive and provide a platform for then to learn how to play better. What sort of qualities are you looking for when it comes to recommending new players mech?

ultimately the greatest variable is cost effectiveness, followed by ease of use, survivability and its ability to harbor a number of different playstyles

Lemming posted:

Cent A is a lot worse because of 12v12. Before you could poke around and try to catch people out of position, but with 12v12 you gotta suck up to your fatties and wait until they engage to do anything. It's a lot worse and kind of boring to play now.

Firestarter is good, relatively cheap, and should teach you to fear everyone and everything. Also people should learn how to play lights.

breh, i shred with my Cent-AL and even more so in the Shadowhawk-2K; i know i'm not an exception either.

edit: woops, i see you meant the Cent-A. you've basically described the playstyle for every mech that is built to brawl. there is going to be many matches where you'll literally be one of three players alive without having engaged a single mech due to the sniping meta but this shouldn't be an issue in the early pub games. lets not forget that goons like to force a brawl regardless of the meta or who their opponents are and this is where the mech shines. imagine fighting a 12 man of HHoD in nothing but Cent-A's, 8====D

teepo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 31, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Liao's going to get paid even more now? :10bux: :toot:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Stop saying meta when you should be saying tactic. All of you.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
What are people's opinion of the battlemaster? It looks like it can do most of what stalkers do, lrmboat and laser drill.

Paramemetic posted:

Liao's going to get paid even more now? :10bux: :toot:

It looks like the adjustment is for kurita, marik and rasalhague, the latter getting a bonus equal to liao.

Until they fix turret warrior though, I doubt any of this extra money is going to entice anyone. It doesn't seem to have helped liao's numbers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Freakazoid_ posted:

What are people's opinion of the battlemaster? It looks like it can do most of what stalkers do, lrmboat and laser drill.

It looks like the adjustment is for kurita, marik and rasalhague, the latter getting a bonus equal to liao.

Until they fix turret warrior though, I doubt any of this extra money is going to entice anyone. It doesn't seem to have helped liao's numbers.

Stalker is much better than the Battlemaster because they can both run similar builds but the Stalker's hitboxes and weapon placements are like a million times better.

Battlemasters are like larger Thunderbolts without the quirks to really justify using them.

I guess the -1S is a decent lurmboat but there are much better options.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 31, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Freakazoid_ posted:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/184598-crazy-romanos-house-of-contracts/

I've been trying to get the word out.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Raven 2X so good. 10 kills and 2200 damage before I finally went down.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FatCow posted:

Stop saying meta when you should be saying tactic. All of you.

Please say meta extra because it makes this guy mad for no reason. Thank you.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

Please say meta extra because it makes this guy mad for no reason. Thank you.

This is the true meta.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Getting people unreasonably mad is the meta game goons are good at.

We might actually start to see an upswing in liao mercs as I believe they are finally getting out of their first contracts with the other groups. It's hard to judge an immediate change due to the contract penalties stopping people from jumping ship immediately.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I find the 1G (I think. The one with 3 shoulder energy hard points) has a very tiny niche of being a front line tank for heavy/medium waves in CW. It's fast-ish so it can stay at the front while using those big, armor boosted arms to spread damage around. Its quirks are decent and those high mounted mls let you shoot over teammates if they get in front of you.

Outside of that one specific use it's a brawling assault in a sniper game so it does about as poorly as you would expect. Not worth buying three to grind up, for sure.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I've been having fun and finally improving at the game with the HBK-4P-- what are some similar mechs I should go for if I like having lots and lots of lasers?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

YellerBill posted:

I've been having fun and finally improving at the game with the HBK-4P-- what are some similar mechs I should go for if I like having lots and lots of lasers?

Thunderbolt 5SS. Some flavor of Battlemaster I think. Firestarter-S if you're into lights.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Deofuta posted:

Getting people unreasonably mad is the meta game goons are good at.

We might actually start to see an upswing in liao mercs as I believe they are finally getting out of their first contracts with the other groups. It's hard to judge an immediate change due to the contract penalties stopping people from jumping ship immediately.

Unless the people you are are making unreasonably mad happen to own the servers and have tons of sand in their vagina. Then you get banned from the mumble server even when all you were doing was playing with people don't hate you and not even talking.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Some Davion turret janitor posted:

I would be more open to peace with the Liao if Tetatae were not so delicious. The native ones are pretty gamey but the ones who take up Mech piloting tend to be more fatty and cook up better.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/184749-liao-is-doomed/page__view__findpost__p__4057805

Ok, I have to admit that's a premium top-shelf own.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

YellerBill posted:

Firestarters are all little laserboats with a lot of potential for hurt. The A is more challenging due to its reliance on Small Pulse Lasers (thus having a really short range), but arguably has the best overall returns. Hard to go wrong with any of them, but the current favored variants are the A, S, and H.

As mentioned, the Thunderbolt 5SS is a Medium Pulse Laser boat and demolishes things. The Thunderbolt 9S, I'll acquiesce, is a monster with ERPPCs. The 5S and 9SE are mediocre but are also best-suited for being fat disco balls (the 5S for Large and Medium lasers, the 9SE for Large Pulse Lasers).

Stalker 3F and 4N are both excellent choices for energy-heavy builds, and you have the bonus of having the 5M as "the missile one" in case you want or need to switch things up. The 3F is a generalist with great torso twist range compared to other variants, the 4N is a Large Laser boat, and the 5M is an SRM6 battering ram. CQC Stalker builds are often affectionately referred as a "Rhino" by many goons.

These are the current top choices for slinging lots of lasers. If you're in to clan 'mechs and don't mind the cost, consider Stormcrows. They're really effective with energy builds and are widely regarded as one of the best 'mechs in the game, ton-for-ton.

Any of this may be subject to change as we approach another quirks pass. I've heard the Orion's quirks will get a 'complete overhaul' sometime shortly after New Year's, and I'm sure we'll see other adjustments.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

novaSphere posted:

I've heard the Orion's quirks will get a 'complete overhaul' sometime shortly after New Year's, and I'm sure we'll see other adjustments.

That would be great. I love the look of the Orion, but it's just not QUITE good enough.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

tfw when people use the term "own" incorrectly. Feels bad man.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pycckuu posted:

tfw when people use the term "own" incorrectly. Feels bad man.

:allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YellerBill posted:

4sp hbk with 5ml, 2 srm 6 is pretty ridiculous, then you can round it out ith the 4g to master it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

garth ferengi posted:

Only if you want to be a xX360_eLiTe_SwAgSnIpErXx like me and stare at blurry zoomed in pixels. It's like picture in picture but because of technical limitations it doesn't actually render the scene again, just zooms it in further, so it just becomes bigger and uglier and more pixelly

They fixed that, or at least made it much better. Radar derp is more useful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

sebmojo posted:

They fixed that, or at least made it much better. Radar derp is more useful though.

Radar dep is ok in normal matches but useless in current cw unless you are a light whereas if you are defending in a erppc tbolt on a hill then the zoom module can be handy.

• Locked thread