Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well I had no idea those were referred to as "rotary" Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
They're insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHRuEkvO8E

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That really doesn't look like it should work at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The sopwith camel had what was called a "total loss" oiling system, e.g., oil ran into the engine and then sprayed out of it into the air. Since these planes also had open cockpits, the pilots inhaled/ingested quite a lot of castor oil on every flight.

Castor oil gives you diarrhea something fierce, but the pilots soon figured out that a good treatment for diarrhea is gin. During WWI it became completely ordinary and commonplace for all sopwith camel pilots to get drunk before going on sorties.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Castor oil gives you diarrhea something fierce, but the pilots soon figured out that a good treatment for diarrhea is gin. During WWI it became completely ordinary and commonplace for all sopwith camel pilots to get drunk before going on sorties.

This is the best thing I've heard about gin (and the British military) since learning that the gin in a gin and tonic was originally the mixer. That is, gin is in a gin and tonic to cut the tonic and not vice versa.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

That really doesn't look like it should work at all.

It makes sense if you just follow one cylinder around and watch the piston movement.

Interesting tidbit: Both rotary and radial engines all must have odd numbers of cylinders (even the bigger 14- and 28-cylinders engines you see in WW2 were in rows of 7). Discuss.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

To avoid a stall situation with two exactly opposed cylinders?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: goddamnit. not only is quote not edit, but it's also the wrong thread entirely!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:cripes: had this all typed up last night, and never clicked submit.

dissss posted:

I've never heard of anyone breaking a throttle cable on a Japanese car, even an 80s model with hundreds of thousands of kilometers and no one pro-actively replaces them.

I had one fail in an odd way on an 88 Honda Accord - it wore through the plastic sheath right at the firewall, and frayed, and got jammed.

I wound up loving with it until it would idle at about 4000 RPM, and just shut it off at red lights. Drove it like that for a week or so, it would do about 50-60 in 5th like that. I could give it more gas, but backing it off required pulling over and forcefully pulling the cable back through the firewall.

I also had the clutch cable snap on that car once, so I'd shut it off at a stop, put it in 1st, and start it when it was time to go. I'm amazed how durable that starter was, it never hiccuped despite me using it to move the car around my apartment parking lot for over a month after the timing belt broke (apartment had some rule that a car couldn't sit in the same spot for more than a few days).

Mileage was unknown - carfax didn't exist when I bought it, but the odometer showed 130k. When carfax finally did come out, I found out its last inspection (in loving Minnesota) had an odometer reading of 180k.. 5 years prior to my buying it. Aside from the timing belt breaking (and somehow not bending any valves; mechanic insisted on lining it up and doing a compression check before doing a teardown), and the alternator taking a poo poo in the middle of a 650 mile road trip (it would still charge above 4000 RPM, so I spent the rest of the trip in 4th gear), the drat thing never let me down. It was bitchy, and I suspect it had a bad cam position sensor (sometimes it would be really hard to start, and sometimes it would start jerking really bad for about 30 seconds complete with the tach going apeshit, then the CEL would pop on and it would drive fine afterwards), but it was reliable. It also gave me random showers going around turns in the rain, since the sunroof drain tubes were clogged to poo poo.

Fucknag posted:

Probably dropped a DBW engine into a car with a cable throttle and didn't want to redesign the throttle system to accommodate a matching pedal assembly, last model year or two of the chassis or whatever.

The first year of the Saturn Ion (and I assume the Chevy Cobalt) used a cable throttle. They switched to DBW in 2004. Then switched up the automatic transaxles for 2005 in the Ion (the manuals are the same Getrag F23 that was used in the Cavalier, Grand Am, etc).

My boss has a 2004 Ion sedan. It's a pretty unique unicorn - it's the first year DBW, but still has the 5 speed automatic Aisin-Warner automatic (AW55-50SN - which was only in 03-04 Ion sedans, not coupes). You absolutely want to avoid the 03-04 Ion coupes with an automatic, they used a very weak CVT (it's easy enough to swap in the Aisin-Warner 5 speed auto when they fail, it bolts in, just need to swap the TCU and some wires IIRC). He's mentioned he doesn't like how it shifts (which is a common complaint, and why GM dropped the 5 speed Aisin auto for their own 4 speed), but his average MPG is better than what I get in my 06 coupe with a manual transmission. His is also the relatively rare "Ion 1" - meaning it has a radio and not much else (the 2 is most common - power locks, power mirrors, optional power windows, CD player). I'm actually surprised it even has a/c, since he (and the car) lived in Detroit most of his life until this year, and the car was purchased new in Michigan. I don't see a/c being needed in that area most of the year, and I know a/c was optional on the Ion.

Speaking of, I've offered to track down a new front bumper for his - he had an "oops" with another car, but only the bumper cover was damaged. I'm wondering if I can fit one in my car, if I yank the sub, fold down the back seats, and fold down the front passenger seat (it folds flat). :getin: I need to make a junkyard run soon anyway.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

To avoid a stall situation with two exactly opposed cylinders?

I think it's due to the Otto cycle. In a, say, 7 cylinder rotary engine, the firing order will be:

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 6

ensuring an even distribution.

A hypothetical 8 cylinder rotary engine would run rather rough:

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8

the 8 - 1 would mean that every other revolution you'd have two cylinders in succession firing.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Well then this goes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oTxg8LAbDc

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's not a proper radial without an inertia starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bolind posted:

I think it's due to the Otto cycle. In a, say, 7 cylinder rotary engine, the firing order will be:

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 6

ensuring an even distribution.

A hypothetical 8 cylinder rotary engine would run rather rough:

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8

the 8 - 1 would mean that every other revolution you'd have two cylinders in succession firing.

Wouldn't the firing order be 12345678, as the different cylinders passed the fixed ignition point in the rotation (Ref Quark's movie above)?

Ofc, that invalidates my "opposed cylinders at the same time" idea, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And then have an entire revolution of the propeller where every cylinder went through their respective compression strokes?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bolind posted:

And then have an entire revolution of the propeller where every cylinder went through their respective compression strokes?

I imagine it's two-stroke? I struggle to see how it would work out if you could have ignition at any point other than just past maximum compression, and that's at a fixed point in the rotation.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

I imagine it's two-stroke? I struggle to see how it would work out if you could have ignition at any point other than just past maximum compression, and that's at a fixed point in the rotation.

Just waste a spark at the end of the exhaust stroke.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Just waste a spark at the end of the exhaust stroke.

I guess that works - I'm just trying to imagine what the valve system would look like.

(I mean, I know it works since I believe what you're saying about it being how they actually did it.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The best radial engine starts are the ones that use a "shotgun" gunpowder or cordite charge, such as the so-called "Coffman" engine starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

The best radial engine starts are the ones that use a "shotgun" gunpowder or cordite charge, such as the so-called "Coffman" engine starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ
I saw a movie when I was a kid that had a radial engine started by a shotgun-type starter as a key plot point - that scene is the only thing about it I could remember. Something about only having a very limited number of starter shells and needing to sacrifice one of them to clean out the starter system, leading to an argument between a few characters. I saw it when I was about 11, I think. A quick google search for "movie desert radial engine shotgun start" got me to Flight of the Phoenix. That got me to the 2004 remake, which has reviews that boil down to "meh" and "watch the original instead".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it's Flight Of The Phoenix, and yes, you should watch the original. That's the film you're thinking of.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absolutely, and in fact that's the very scene in which I learned that that kind of starter existed. Definitely watch the original it is great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I rode my bike by the Maserati today

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good it's still there. I was considering pitching an offer at the dude once I move back to Ballard, I hadnt forgotten about it but I figured if it sat a few months guy would be more receptive to an offer more in line with my budget.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Barring, of course, someone buying it before I do :shepicide:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It had a flat tire.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Only one? All four were when I looked at it :haw:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That Biturbo in Ballard by the Fred Meyer has been sitting there for YEARS.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do it! Unless the owner looks like Franz Sanchez. You can't buy a car from someone who fed Felix Leiter to a shark.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Oh good it's still there. I was considering pitching an offer at the dude once I move back to Ballard, I hadnt forgotten about it but I figured if it sat a few months guy would be more receptive to an offer more in line with my budget.

This is the best news I've heard out of this thread since 'Nam.

You must fix that car for science, OCD, and of course, our entertainment!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Ah, the mk1 hillman imp.
The gas pedal actuates a pump, that compresses air which controls a second pump at the Solex carburetor at the back of the car. A lovely idea, but the rubber hoses had a nasty habit of deteriorating and leaking, so you'd have to pump out the accelerator pedal if you wanted to keep up the revs.

SO glad my imp is cable controlled.

Now you're just taking the piss, mate.

Right? Right?! :shepface:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Now you're just taking the piss, mate.

Right? Right?! :shepface:
Nope.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is even more frightening than the fact that Jeep used some Lucas parts.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

A totally fool proof design, nothing could possibly go wrong.

(warning, gas pedal may require continuous pumping during use)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:gonk:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Next you'll tell me there are cars that accelerate via butter-churner.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
This thread is so off track it's ridiculous.

I've also learned so much new cool stuff!

I love this place :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hell, you should see the cruise control.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

The Solex carb with the pneumatic throttle control, the black plastic cover hides the bi metal springs which heat up with air from the exhaust manifold.

The two copper pipes enter a closed brass tube loop which enters and then exits the cast iorn exhaust manifold, as the air in the tubes is sucked to a chamber in the Solex carb, then passes the bi metal choke springs, the hot air then adjusts the choke to the correct setting!

It's not just the throttle, guys. It's like the biturbo but 30 years earlier.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

This thread is so off track it's ridiculous.

I've also learned so much new cool stuff!

I love this place :allears:

We almost need a new megathread for "Car Features Believe It Or Not."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We almost need a new megathread for "Car Features Believe It Or Not."

Would Volkswagen's spare-tire-pressure-powered windshield washer sprayer make the cut?

• Locked thread