Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Tsinava posted:

I really wish people would stop shoehorning incantations and invocations of cosmic entities in Latin an Spanish in their music all the time.

It complete ruins the song and the words stick in my head and sometimes I find myself chanting them for no reason it makes my friends uncomfortable.

Everybody on the dance floor say "VOCA TE MALUM SPIRITUM CONSURGE ET TERRAM DIRUMPERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

LaughMyselfTo posted:

There are about 
3 million notes in a two-and-a-half-hour musical; being a perfectionist, it took me a long time 
to realize that if I'm hitting 75 percent of them, 
I'm succeeding. Performing isn't only about
 the acrobatics and the high notes: It's staying in the moment, connecting with the audience 
in an authentic way, and making yourself 
real to them through the music. I am more than the notes I hit, and that's how I try to approach my life. You can't get it all right all the time, but 
you can try your best. If you've done that, all 
that's left is to accept your shortcomings and have 
the courage to try to overcome them.

-Idina Menzel

Yeah.

I also only do my job roughly 75% of the time and then pat myself on the back at the end of the day. Of course I didn't start off only doing my job 75% of the time - that's come from decades of practice and being one of the most celebrated and best paid workers in my field.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain_Indigo posted:

I also only do my job roughly 75% of the time and then pat myself on the back at the end of the day. Of course I didn't start off only doing my job 75% of the time - that's come from decades of practice and being one of the most celebrated and best paid workers in my field.

75%'s pretty goddamn high tbqh that guy's still a huge overachiever

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZa4yre0uEk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just because it's trendy to be Zoroastrian doesn't mean every song has to be about Ahura Mazda.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
gun firing sound effects for no reason

skits on albums - almost universally awful, for every one good skit there's twenty lovely ones. also gently caress artists that even think to put a skit with the song instead of on a separate track.

dj's that talk over a track and put all types of effects over it on their lovely radio stations (WESTWOOD EXPLOSION) thanks for making the song unlistenable rear end in a top hat

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

every post by factsareuseless in this thread has been fantastic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I get that a cappella music can be surprisingly versatile but every other band seems to be a one man a cappella cover act these days.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4AE5El9oE

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iggy Koopa posted:

every post by factsareuseless in this thread has been fantastic
I couldn't have done it without the help of people not getting the joke and resolutely posting things that bother them in popular music. Thank you all so much, the joylessness that affects every moment of your lives has brought us so much.

Edit: I'd also like to thank the people who do get jokes, and make them, for being cool and good.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Too many cadenzas.

Also, when the artist adds an ironic awards acceptance speech during the outro.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

boethius posted:

Too many cadenzas.

Also, when the artist adds an ironic awards acceptance speech during the outro.
I'll never forget Liz Phair crying "you like me, you really like me!" at the end of gently caress and Run.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

there are too many frequencies in music imo.you don't realy need anything outside the range of 500-1000 Hz to make good music

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll never forget Liz Phair crying "you like me, you really like me!" at the end of gently caress and Run.

I know, right! Still, I'm glad they used this song in the most recent Chipmunks movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

boethius posted:

I know, right! Still, I'm glad they used this song in the most recent Chipmunks movie.
It will be remembered as one of the greatest growing-up montages in film history.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish Donald Glover would stop writing songs about Weird Twitter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, we get it. You're from California. But could you please stop putting the words "close the borders" in all your songs?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

FactsAreUseless posted:

his shout out to pr0spector was good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ever since Talking Heads got big again, everyone thinks it's cool to be autistic. The big suit man might seem cool, but let me tell you: he's not.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't remember the name of the song (help a goon out?) but one of them has the couplet:

"My name's Donald Glover and I'm here to legs,
come on Smashmouth, eat the eggs"

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
if i never see 'feat. jandek' on a tracklisting again it'll be a good day.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

if i never see 'feat. jandek' on a tracklisting again it'll be a good day.

Lmbo

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

There are about 
3 million notes in a two-and-a-half-hour musical; being a perfectionist, it took me a long time 
to realize that if I'm hitting 75 percent of them, 
I'm succeeding. Performing isn't only about
 the acrobatics and the high notes: It's staying in the moment, connecting with the audience 
in an authentic way, and making yourself 
real to them through the music. I am more than the notes I hit, and that's how I try to approach my life. You can't get it all right all the time, but 
you can try your best. If you've done that, all 
that's left is to accept your shortcomings and have 
the courage to try to overcome them.

-Idina Menzel

Yeah.

so she's making almost a million mistakes per performance, then?

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 5, 2015

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
I don't like it when DJs put recordings of the rape and murder of their aunts in the middle of songs just as you're expecting the bass to really kick in. Like, I get that Mr Scratch has murdered a lot of people close to musicians, and I know he's never been brought to justice, but I don't go to clubs to listen to the slow death of innocent women.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

i only listen to white power country and horn music so i have no idea what you are talking about here

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Panniculus Rift posted:

there are too many frequencies in music imo.you don't realy need anything outside the range of 500-1000 Hz to make good music

lol at anyone who listens to "music" that uses frequencies outside the 20-30Hz range.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You can have a bass drum OR bass guitar. We need to conserve low frequencies for our boys overseas.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

BKPR posted:

You can have a bass drum OR bass guitar. We need to conserve low frequencies for our boys overseas.

We're at war, we can't squander that bass! Make do with this low tom.

Plasters neighborhood with "Don't DROP THAT BASS, You Never Know Who Will Pick It Up" posters.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

call me old fashioned but I think there are some cliches that shouldn't go away. the power trio is a traditional staple of rock music, does replacing your rhythm sections with reanimated skeletons clanking their bones against each others ribcages really add anything to the music?

Its just a fad people.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Bonestep will never die. Because it is undead.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I am SICK and TIRED of medieval dubstep. D-d-d-drop the mace, more like s-s-s-shut the gently caress up.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Getting pretty dang tired of all these ironic Seinfeld slap bass bands. Look it was funny when it was just "Jerry and the Boys", but by the time we got to "The George Costanza Experience" it was just sad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That thing where Niki Manaje sounds like she has severe retardation or whatever

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
All these coded messages from the Illuminati in theremin solos need to stop. And so does my friends and family joking about not hearing them whenever I point them out, and that I'm "crazy" and they're "worried" about me and "that's not even a theremin". Real funny, guys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Things I want more of: principles of graphic design explained in songs.

Things I want less of: fake record sleeves full of HIV-infected blood that sprays out.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I'm so god drat tired of hearing Danny Boy on the radio. It doesn't matter what station. Alternative? Danny Boy. Classical? Danny Boy! Hip hop? loving DANNY BOY!

JUST COOL IT WITH DANNY BOY GUYS!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Why are all modern country songs written in 7TET. Where did you even find a steel guitar for that.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

There are too many songs about dry humping.

It's like, come on. If I want dry humping I'll read a book - I listen to music for info on how to gently caress.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

calliope solos. yeah, they were cool when i first heard them ... in the year of our lord 2011. we get it, you just discovered circus music, you special snowflake you. guess what: no one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

When will musicians go back to the studio and stop recording all their albums on crowded trains?

• Locked thread