Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

If somebody posting "so-and-so is going to make you feel this way" ruins your enjoyment of an LP, then that's your loving problem, not mine. Are you this thin-skinned and whiny when somebody tells you that a book or movie's twist ending is going to make you feel a certain way? Because if you are, why bother anticipating anything in life?

Sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride. And if posts like these prevent you from enjoying it, just filter Mega64's posts.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Having someone tell you before how part of an art thing is going to make you feel changes the way you experience it. I'm saying this badly, but the example I thought of is watching a movie you've never seen before with someone and it's their favorite movie ever. They spend the entire time staring at you and saying poo poo like, 'Oooh! The scary part I warned you about is coming up!' or 'This is my favorite scene with Character X!' A normal person's reaction is to imagine something so scary/awesome it can't be believed, and then the movie scene is anti-climactic no matter how good it is and then you feel disappointed.

IRL I would have enjoyed Firefly a lot more if I hadn't watched it in a room full of nerds who worshiped Joss Whedon.

EDIT: Fixed a missing word.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Again, your problem, not mine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mega's also kinda said not to do that poo poo, I believe.

It's also kind of a dickish thing to do anyway.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, it's pretty rude. I've already played the game so I'm not really personally affected, but just saying.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Are there places to buy an English-translated cart of this?

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, my initial Google search didn't turn up too much and I don't have a PC so figured this would be the best place to ask. Love the LP, by the way.

Edit: drat, thanks VVVV

Referee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nope, it was never officially released outside Japan.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Waffleman_ posted:

Mega's also kinda said not to do that poo poo, I believe.

It's also kind of a dickish thing to do anyway.

Don't know if I ever said it (my memory is poo poo so maybe I did), but I definitely agree with this. "Boy, wait until you see what's next!" type of stuff is annoying to everyone, especially to people who don't know what's going to happen, plus it's spoilerish anyway.

May have an update tonight, no promises. Running out of distractions, so maybe my update schedule will pick up a bit (at least until something else distracts me).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If you don't care about it being "their problem" at least stop doing it cause you don't want to be this guy irl.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
SPOILER TAGS REMOVED

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What were we just loving talking about?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
At least that one is behind spoiler tags.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

curiousCat posted:

At least that one is behind spoiler tags.
From the OP:

Mega64 posted:

:siren: NO SPOILERS WHATSOEVER. NO TAGS, NOTHING. :siren:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

From the OP:

I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying it's slightly better. Like on the scale of "awful" to "the worst", it's a solid "horrible".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To make up for Chapter 6 being so short, Chapter 7 is double the length of any other chapter so far. As you may have guessed, a lot of that has to do with this "Seven Needles" mentioned in the chapter title. But more on that in a bit.

We begin the chapter by watching the Masked Man enter what appears to be Osohe Castle.

Seems Lucas and Boney ended up back in Tazmily, though Kumatora and Duster are nowhere in sight. Also, there's no music for this part.

Don't worry, Boney is in tip-top shape, too.

At this point, we've got free reign to walk around.

Not that we can actually leave first, of course.

She saved your lives.

And if we talk to Alec again...

No matter where she goes, Hinawa is always thinking about you.

Hinawa appeared in Alec's dream and told him to pile hay at that one spot. Then, in the real world, right out of the blue, you two fall right into the pile... It's as strange as strange can be.

So the whole "Chapter 6" thing may have a bit more to it than simply making people cry some more. Or at least that's the excuse for showing it, of course.

If we talk to Wess again...

It's an absolute miracle that you didn't even get a scratch.

And that's pretty much it for that.

Well, except one more thing from Alec.

Yes, though apparently not anymore. Duster's not really good at staying with the group, it seems.

Ah. I thought so. But... I doubt there's any need to worry. I'll let Wess know.

They might not look like it, but they're trustworthy. They may be able to help you out.

Talk to Alec again...

...I'm sure he's fine.

At any rate, let's go back to, uh, whatever. I don't know, maybe some weird situation will arise that will get us moving to where we need to go.

Woof woof! (What's that?!)

Looks like we've got a familiar face in an unfamiliar appearance.

I'll show off what the townspeople say in a future update, though suffice to say they don't know what to make of what's going on, certainly not enough to help. For now, let's help Ionia.

Ooh, I unded the gag on my own! :h: I just moved my mouth up and down like so and slowly slipped it off! Ooh, I'm wonderful! :h: I hate to be a bother, but could you stand me up?

I was minding my own business, taking off my makeup, when suddenly I was physically assaulted! Oh, what an unfabulous time to be attacked! Oh, my! :h:

It seems the threads of fate have led us to each other again. :h: From the moment I realized you could use PSI, I knew there was something between us. You're undoubtedly the one we Magypsies have been waiting for for tens of thousands of years...right? Can you sense it, too? Can't you feel "the time" drawing near? It's okay if you can't. I'm not entirely sure about it, either. :h:

I hope Aeolia is all right! I wish I could fly there, but I can't without my makeup on! All I can do is walk on land like a human. How tragic. Oh, well. I'll walk if I have to. And you. You're coming with me! Come on, let's go to Aeolia's house! :h:

Oh, uh, sure.

Marvelous! :h:

And so Ionia joins as a temporary party member.

I have noooo idea what you were talking about just now, but if it's up the river you need to go, then it's our time to shine!

At this point, we're free to do whatever. The Tazmily Rowing Club can take us to Aeolia's, or we can simply walk there through the forest, though there's no point in doing the latter.

As you may expect, there's a ton of new NPC dialogue, but I'm going to save all of that for the next update since I want to go ahead and get the plot for this chapter established.

Except this guy, this guy's fondness of rowing is integral to the story.

Yes!

And so we ride up the river, complete with rising bridge and a scenic view of Osohe Castle.

Now to check on Aeolia.

At least she seems to be fine so far.

This is no time to be silly, Aeolia!:h: I was attacked. So I rushed here to see if you were all right.
I'm just fine. I'm as lovely as I always am. :h: But never mind me...why don't you untie that rope already?
Oh?! I was in such a rush I never even noticed! What a shock!

I'm sexy, even without makeup on. :h:

Yuck. You can keep that lipstick. Indirect kisses with other girls aren't my thing. :h:
Oh. I have a bad feeling...

Then a lengthy scene of screen shaking and color flashes occur, until...

Oh, my! Aeolia! :h: Your body! Your body! Your body! It's starting to disappear...!
Oh, my! Oh, my, oh, my! :h: So it is! It's disappearing! :h: I'm disappearing, but I'm well.
But... Does this mean...?

Someone has pulled it. Someone able to pull the Needles...has finally appeared.

You can get to the courtyard of Osohe Castle through this underground path. :h: If the Needle really has been pulled, I will vanish very soon... But it would be wise to know who pulled it. Someone with a dark heart, or someone with a light heart? The answer to that may change the fate of the world completely. Oooh. :h: So today is the day I disappear.

You were an openhearted person. That's why we got along so well. :h:

Let's follow this underground ptah to Osohe Castle's courtyard! :h:

But before we do...

We can pick up Aeolia's memento. This item is a one-time auto-revive, instantly reviving the holder as soon as they're knocked out. Very handy to have.

The music changes once Aeolia's gone.

But we have no time to notice such things, we've got to check on this needle thing we still know nothing about.

The pathway to Osohe Castle is uneventful. It's pretty straightforward with no notable items and only one type of enemy along the way.

Cleocatras aren't too troublesome on their own, kind of annoying in larger parties.

First off, they can cast Lifeup Beta, which can undo a lot of damage, especially with your gimped party. They can also cast Hypnosis, which can be bad if both your characters end up asleep.

Ionia doesn't do much in battle, with the biggest thing being a very slight heal. Don't know if her scream will wake you up.

And that's pretty much it for that path.

The Dark Dragon's heart will become as light or as dark as the person who pulls it... That's what is said, anyway, but I don't sense anything here at all. I don't sense a heart of good OR evil. ...How mysterious. :h: Could there be people in this world without hearts?

...... No, we still have a chance left.

Oh, that's right. I haven't explained anything to you at all. I need to tell you about the Needles.

So after all that, we're finally going to learn just what the hell is going on.

quote:

First, know this. These are specially-protected islands.

We reside upon these islands together with a limitless power.

That power is the Dragon that sleeps in the darkness under the islands.

The Dragon is incredibly large. About as large as all these islands put together.

Because the Dragon is asleep, these islands are protected from disaster.

But its power is too great for humans to control.

It was for this reason that our ancient Magypsy ancestors placed seven "Needles" in the Dragon to make it sleep.

One Needle for each Magypsy.

For a very, very long time, we have continued to guard the Needles.

But it has been told that someone to wake the Dragon will appear when its power is needed...

However, if the one who needs the Dragon's power has a heart of evil, that power will obey all that is evil. It's very possible that everything could be completely destroyed simply to satisfy wicked ambition.

On the other hand, the exact opposite is what we hope for. If a person with a heart of good pulls the Dragon's Needles and uses its power, the fate of all evil will be washed away, and all life as we know it will shine brightly.

That is what is told.

Finally, listen to this, but don't worry.

When each of our seven Needles is pulled, we Magypsies will cease to be, our millenia-long lives over.

Isn't that just romantic of us? :h:

It says only those with the power of PK Love can pull the seven Needles. Not even we Magypsies have that ability. In other words, you're able to pull the Needles because you're a chosen boy.

So Lucas can pull the needles, but that does leave one pretty big question.

At any rate, to sum everything up, we gotta go pull up the rest of the needles before the bad guys do, because if we wake up Dragon God he'll be all awesome and stuff, but if the bad guys do, they'll probably do stupid stuff like mix Boney with a stag beetle or something.

While we mull all that over, there's a phone ringing (despite the sound file, I'm pretty sure this isn't Fassad's).

But but but the monkey! We need the monkey! The monkey can open it! Gah, what a pain in the neck! Anyway, the monkey's the key! I'll explain the details later! P-p-please come to the Chimera Lab! I assume you know where the Chimera Lab is, right?

It's to the left of the Club Titiboo skyrail, but I'll let the Pigmask explain it because I'm lazy.

Huh? Commander! Your voice sounds kind of cheery today! Well, anyways... Please take the Cross Road train to the factory, and when you arrive, go west from the ropeway station that's behind the factory.

He'll repeat himself if you didn't.

Oh, if you know where it is, then there's no problem at all. Please hurry. *beep*

Free phone!

I'm worried about my own Needle now.

But if we don't, then that means one of us has left this world...

The power of make-up.

And this path takes us to Osohe Basement, which we've already seen back in Chapter 3.

There is a new enemy here, or rather, a new combination of two old enemies. Apart, they were pushovers. Together, they're frightening.

They can do a combo attack, where one bro does a PSI attack and the other does a physical. Best to take it out quickly.

The rest of Osohe Castle is uneventful (no new enemies or ghost dialogue). Once we reach the graveyard, though...

Apparently Boney wants our attention for something.

He was just here visiting Hinawa's grave. He's probably headed back into the mountains yet again to look for Claus.

Look for Claus, visit Hinawa's grave. That's all your old man does anymore.

You've grown so strong that Flint doesn't need to worry anymore. You've grown up to be a truly good lad.

He asked me to give it to you the next time you came by. Supposedly, it's a good luck charm your pop's treasured since he was a boy himself.

That's nice to have, since now more than ever we need some courage to face what's in front of us.

And on the way to save, I learn Defense Up Omega, which boosts the entire part's defense at once. Very handy if we get a full party again.

Next time, we'll catch back up with Tazmily before we start the world-saving part of our adventure.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

How many Magypsies have we met?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

curiousCat posted:

How many Magypsies have we met?

As Lucas? Just those two, I think.

Flint and Alec got to meet the rest back during Chapter 1, if I recall correctly.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

W.T. Fits posted:

As Lucas? Just those two, I think.

Flint and Alec got to meet the rest back during Chapter 1, if I recall correctly.

Six altogether.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Minus Locria.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Don't know if I ever said it (my memory is poo poo so maybe I did), but I definitely agree with this. "Boy, wait until you see what's next!" type of stuff is annoying to everyone, especially to people who don't know what's going to happen, plus it's spoilerish anyway.
It still strikes me as piddly bullshit, but if you don't want people to do it, I won't do it. Your thread, your rules.

There's nothing I can really add about this update. It just serves to tell us what the mission is.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Magypsies disappearing always gets me. I feel like we hardly get to know these kindhearted, magical gender-bending guardians of the land before we have to say goodbye :smith:

(Or should I be using :negative: instead?)

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Mega64 posted:

The power of make-up.

ok, I was honestly not expecting that and it's just perfect

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Break posted:

Do you guys mind not posting stuff like this?

I know its not a spoiler in the traditional sense, but it really does take something away from the experience of someone who is completely new to this game.

I spent the entire Chapter 6 video waiting for the sad part, and (especially considering how weird it is) would have really preferred to go into it with no expectations or prior knowledge. It really broke my immersion.

Sorry if I'm being overly sensitive, but I'd be nice if people didn't do this in the future.
...Besides, it's getting stupid that people keep repeating "No crying until the end" which is a Mother 1 tagline, not Mother 3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cheez posted:

...Besides, it's getting stupid that people keep repeating "No crying until the end" which is a Mother 1 tagline, not Mother 3.

It's kinda been extended to the whole series at this point. I'm pretty sure the line's popped up in a couple of Mother 3-related interviews. Plus it's pretty appropriate for this game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A little late at giving my thoughts on chapter 6. But I'll give it anyway. I'm pretty sure that scene would've been very effective om me had I been playing myself. It's a nice scene and the right length I think.
Not playing it myself is probably one of the two reasons why it fell kinda flat for me, the other has already been discussed.
Your choice of not providing commentary on that part was a very good choice.

Mega64 posted:

At any rate, to sum everything up, we gotta go pull up the rest of the needles before the bad guys do, because if we wake up Dragon God he'll be all awesome and stuff, but if the bad guys do, they'll probably do stupid stuff like mix Boney with a stag beetle or something.
I'm sorry that you don't like awesome combo's. :smith: I'm really enjoying the enemy monster designs and having a stagdog follow you around would be awesome. :colbert:

Someone pulling the needles and a disappeared twin? Who could that someone be? :ohdear:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Some guy managed to hack the game's ROM and swap out Wess' character model while he danced with other character sprites, just to see what animation they would land on during the scene. The results really speak for themselves.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the Magypsies awakened the power of PK Love knowing they would die.

I suppose if it's for a good person then that future is worth dying for.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I don't think they're that broken up about disappearing, really. From what we've seen so far, they seem to be aloof about everything, and the only thing that creates a sense of urgency for them is the need for Lucas to pull the needles before someone else does.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

I suppose if it's for a good person then that future is worth dying for.

Well they were probably hoping to awaken PK love and give that person some time to grow. If they were kind hearted then tell the person the tale of the needles. However it seems the villain of our story is also aware of the needles, so the whole plan is now rushed.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shwqa posted:

Well they were probably hoping to awaken PK love and give that person some time to grow. If they were kind hearted then tell the person the tale of the needles. However it seems the villain of our story is also aware of the needles, so the whole plan is now rushed.

Well, I think the point was that they will die when the needles are pulled, whether that person was good or bad. So, even without knowing that someone evil was going to show up and start pulling them, the Magypsies were willing to unleash this power for Lucas. Even though it meant their impending death.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 8, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Glazius posted:

But they didn't know they'd awaken PK Love. Ionia just gave Lucas the ability to use PSI in general, and it turns out he was able to use PK Love.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

DialTheDude posted:

Some guy managed to hack the game's ROM and swap out Wess' character model while he danced with other character sprites, just to see what animation they would land on during the scene. The results really speak for themselves.

Some of those are pretty great. It's funny how some of them actually work too, like with Boney or Fassad.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

DialTheDude posted:

"Don't look, I'm not going to stick my butt out or anything."

Immediately drops his trousers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Having a busy week, so next update won't be until the weekend or so.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just caught up with the thread. I beat this game back in 2010 and it has one of the best stories I've experienced for an RPG ( I don't really play that many). I almost cried in the beginning and I will definitely cry at the end. I'm also playing along, currently on chapter 1 and loving my replay. Best of luck, Mega!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As a heads up, this entire update will be nothing but NPC dialogue with a couple enemies. So if you're not into the side stuff, feel free to skip this one.

We'll start off with the people we can talk to before recruiting Ionia.

You young'uns have it so nice...

Oh, are you all better now? Try not to be so reckless anymore, okay?

Oh, Boney! Oh, and you too, Lucas.

I'm pretty sure Boney has a better reputation than Lucas at this point.

(Now that the lightning has stopped, I feel much tougher.)

Something's always happening wherever you go, Lucas. That must be exhausting.

I'm not lying here 'cause of sunstroke. I'm just slackin' off. *munch* *munch* *buuurp*

Jack had a cold, but he got over it completely! ...A lot of time HAS passed, after all.

There you go.

New messed-up dialogue, so that's fun.

If you're gonna fall from the sky, at least say something first. That'd freak anyone out.

Now, let's check out the NPC reactions both before and after we recruit Ionia.

Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! This old guy clearly has hobbies and interests different from regular people...

Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! He smells like the forest. I think he should go back there, where he belongs.

This strange girlish boyish girlish person has been rolling around here, all tied up. But I dunno what to do, so I'm just standing here doing nothing.

She's asking for help, but the only thing I can think of is to stand her up. What should I do? Should I stand her up?

Can I say something completely off-topic?

No.

Come on, lemme tell you. Too bad, I'm gonna tell you anyways. Yes, I am. I picked up this doorknob the other day, but I was irritated at the time, so I threw it to the east as far as I could. I wound up dislocating my shoulder as a result. Actually, no, I was just fibbing about that last part.

If we cut her ropes... she'll be free, right? But what if she goes crazy and hurts people if we do?

And now after we help Ionia...

On closer look, this strange girlish boyish girlish person is actually like... whoa. Oh, sorry, sorry. I mean that in a good way.

While I was standing around, deciding whether to stand her up or not, you stood her up for me. I guess the ability to take action is an important thing to have, huh?

Can I tell you something else that's completely off-topic?

If you say no...

Oh. I was gonna tell you more about that doorknob...but I guess you don't wanna hear about it.

But we obviously do want to hear about the doorknob, so let's hear about the doorknob.

I got a gut feeling that the doorknob I picked up the other day had Thomas's fingerprints on it. That's just my gut talking, though.

No, no, no, no! I'm still scared! She might go crazy if we cut her ropes! And her beauty makes her all the scarier!

Alright, at this point we have access to the entire town, and considering we're in a new chapter, there's a ton of new dialogue. So let's dive in!

According to my latest nap, today is a Triple Lucky Day. So be confident, go forth, and do great things.

First, the town square.

A new friend?

If you need something from the map-loving and map-owning Mapson, it must be a map, yes? Oh, hi there, Lucas. That's a strange friend you have with you. No, no, no. I don't mean there's anything wrong with that. What? Aeolia's house, you say? I don't know who that is, but I think it's around here somewhere. I'll mark your map for you.

And so he'll mark Aeolia's house, in case you don't remember where it is. Talk to him again...

That peddler hasn't been around lately. What was it? Fassad or something? I forget.

W-w-what?! What?! What're you trying to scare me for?! Get out of here! Leave! Leave this village!

Eww! You filthy thing! Shoe! Huh? Shoe? Shoo? ...Get out!

Of course, Pusher and his wife are becoming less and less friendly to us.

My name is Sebastian, and working busily is all I do.

Major character development for Sebastian. I know everyone was waiting for this moment.

Wow! What a pretty person!

Oh, hi there, Lucas. You know, you should really be mindful of who you make friends with...

Have you finally started to go crazy too?

It seems the factory's been closed down. So I expected my little Biffy and Butchy to come back home, but they wound up going to some New Pork Something-or-Other instead.

You'll notice New Pork be mentioned a few times this update. It's one of those plot points that's hidden in the NPC dialogue, but a lot of the Tazmily residents are now considering life in the big city.

Oh, that's cool in my book. I think people should be free to do whatever they want.

Can I find friends like him in the city? If so, then I think he's really cool. But if he's from the forest or the middle of nowhere, that's just creepy.

Geez, you have so many friends! Where do you find them all?

For someone that's supposed to be the town's social pariah, Lucas sure has a lot more friends than most people in the village.

How are you? I'm just great!

Fuel sometimes eats the store's bread. I've seen him do it. I only eat it once in a while.

Can I come with you, too? Oh. I guess not...

Lots of people are heading to New Pork lately. I wanna go, too. I don't want to be stuck in this blah village forever.

Thomas sells the same stuff as Chapter 4, but at least he changes up his sales pitches.

Visitors from the big city have really dropped in number. Conversely, people wanting to leave this village for the city are on the rise. In which case, it would be best to move our hotel to the city. Right? Well, that's what I think, at least.

I'm all for moving this hotel to the big city.

That person with you... Is it a he or a she?

Lots of dialogue for this room.

(*whisper* *whisper*) Eek, exclamation mark. New line. What a lovely person, space.
(*whisper* *whisper*) Wait, are you sure we need a new line there?
(*whisper* *whisper*) I dunno. I think it would be better that way.
(*whisper* *whisper*) You bought too many rice balls. Were you hungry or something?
(*whisper* *whisper*) If there are any extra rice balls left over, could I have 'em?
(*whisper* *whisper*) How long are we going to keep at this?
(*whisper* *whisper*) There's no set time or anything. We can stop whenever you're tired. I take it you're tired too, though?
(*whisper* *whisper*) It's strange. Why is this so tiring? All we do is sit here really.
(*whisper* *whisper*) This is no time to be trying so hard to get these lines edited just right.
(*whisper* *whisper*) Yeah. Let's stop for now.
(*whisper* *whisper*) Yeah.

After that, you just get whispers with no new dialogue.

I dunno what to do, so I'm gonna stay in here again today. I'm afraid. Every day I'm so afraid. I can't leave my room, I'm so scared they'll demand that I pay up.

I love that guy. Next, let's visit the people loitering around Lucas's house.

I can't believe anyone would want to leave this village. But... it's starting to get hard for me to stay, too.

You! You guys are suspicious! ...But not nearly as suspicious as that "*hop* *hop*" guy. He's clearly suspicious! But I don't think he's up to anything bad.

It sounds like you've done all kinds of things while I've stood in this spot this whole time. I'm really jealous. In a way, you kind of scare me.

Baa... (I'm so jealous of the charred guys. They get to experience different things..._)

Baaa. (This is how I always wanted to look. *smile*)

Baaa. (My charred fur is starting to return to normal. *smile*)

Next, we'll stop by the police station before going to the beach.

Things've really quieted down here. It's just me and the dog now.

I think this music starts playing at the beach in Chapter 4, but I haven't linked it until now so here it is. It's pretty much the Summers theme from Earthbound.

This guy sells some high-healing foot and the Aloha Coat, which is mediocre defense-wise but protects against fire.

Bud and Lou are back at their spot, so let's hear their latest routine.

What did you want to grow up to be, aside from a comedian?
I wanted to be a baker, I guess. What about you?
Me? I wanted to be a merman.
What? A merman? What kind?
I'd be a fish on top, and human on bottom.
That's entirely backwards.
And everybody'd be suspicious of me, so you could call me a fishy "namrem".

Moving on.

No new dialogue, though they're still staring at each other. The will-they/won't-they tension is so thick with these two.

I'm not sure why, but that person with you gives off a magical vibe.

A little nap in the sun'll really revitalize you. Will you take a break?

This is another way to rest and recover HP and PP. Plus the sun is nice.

(The words "Oscar" and "Mayer" appeared to me in a dream. But I don't know what they mean. Oscar. Mayer.)

Do you know about the big city? I bet there's much more happiness there than in this entire village!

Each time my old man gets a year older, his "me"-ness gets worse and worse. Me, me, me, me, me... It gets so annoying!

I do nothing but think about myself, so I think that might make others not like me... But if other people would think about me even more, it would all balance out. Why won't other people think about me more? Lucas! I like you. You come to talk to me every once in a while. I could make you my successor, if you'd like. But it's lonely living my kind of life...

Yeah, this family's kinda messed up, but really, isn't pretty much everyone in this village inherently self-absorbed, even from the very beginning? You could probably count the number of villagers who held other people's interests over theirs on one hand, if any even exist.

Also, Dona can't swim despite living next to the ocean.

I've figured out what my bad habit is. I'll put it in one sentence. I never shut up.

Really.

You're asking if I sewed it? ...Of course I didn't!

At this point, you can choose to give it back or not. If not...

C'mon! Give it back!

But I don't give a crap about that dumb sweater so take it.

I didn't sew it, but I'll throw it away for you.

Alright, then.

No thanks.

Let's go to the train station next.

I'm so glad they gave me train station patrol. This way, people like you can come talk to me. Had I been given mountain patrol instead, I'd only meet bears and stuff. That's scary.

Don't tell me you're walking around with lots of ho-hum items again, as usual. Eat! Eat! Throw away! Throw away! You'll never have a tidy inventory otherwise.

Oh yeah, Isaac left to New Pork without even saying goodbye. Not that anyone really cares, besides you guys.

They're so cheap, they're practically free! A mere 50DP!

And if we accept...

In that case, how about taking the green train? The green one costs a little bit more, though.

Sure.

Huh?! Really?! Th-th-then it'll be 300 DP for three tickets...

Alllll aboooooard!

The only difference between the two trains seems to be the music that plays.

And of course the joy of riding a green-colored train.

If we choose not to ride on a train...

Oh, I see. Every once in a while, there are some idiot customers who go 'n walk along the freakin' train tracks, so perhaps that may be more to your liking, if I may so humbly make a personal suggestion.

There's a new enemy here now, the Squawking Boomstick.

Guess what it does.

Good guess!

They say they don't need Claymen anymore. Or the clay, or the factory... It seems no one needs me anymore, either. That makes me sad. Hahaha. I'm being sent to New Pork City when this place shuts down, too. Thanks for everything.

The factory's pretty much dead, though a few sad Claymen are still at the very end of the tunnels, likely left to be forgotten for the rest of time.

Next up, back to Club Titiboo. There's nothing there of interest, but...

and just when I finally make it to the top, I find out they shut Club Titiboo down. Since there's nothing else I can do, I decided to take my time to savor using these binoculars. I've been looking through them for three days straight now. I just can't get enough of it...

The view certainly has improved from the last time we came by.

Horsantulas, other than being very freaky-looking, pretty much just hit like a truck.

Like so. Best to take them down quickly, of course.

Give some consideration to our needs too, won't ya?!

If we try to backtrack to the highway, we get blocked here. The moles have nothing new to say.

There's not much else to do, so let's go back to Tazmily.

This time, we'll take the regular train.

And that's it for everything before we do the whole needle plot. After Ionia leaves and we do the Nippolyte cutscene, we get a call on our new receiver. It's nothing but a reminder on where to go next though.

No, no! I'm just spouting nonsense! Everyone is waiting at the Chimera Lab! I still haven't arrived yet, though! Th-th-the reason being that I forgot how to get there! I mean, I understand the directions, but... To get to the Chimera Lab, you take the Cross Road train to the factory, and then head west from the ropeway station! The problem is that I don't know where I am right now! Hello? Are you all right, Commander? I... Oh! Oh! Oh! I see the Chimera Lab now! You were right! You take the Cross Road train to the factory, and then head west from the ropeway station!

Yep, just as you just said.

Some of the NPCs have new dialogue at this point, so let's go through all that before we call it an update.

The lightning has stopped recently. But I have a Happy Box at home, though, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

I haven't seen Mr. Fassad at all lately. Do you suppose he's just busy?

Club Titiboo went belly-up, but there are still some people milling about in that area. This is only a rumor, but I hear there's a creepy building somewhere around there called the Etcetera Laboratory.

I only just discovered this recently, while riding the train, but the chain-link shutters inside the tunnel are open now.

This may mean we can reaccess the highway now (haven't actually checked yet), but even if so I'll hold off on it until later.

Angie keeps watching me all annoying-like. I wonder if she likes me...

Fuel's got this crazy idea that I like him... But that would never, ever happen, just so you know!

Just seeing Abbot so lively and excited makes me happy.

We have to get ready to move!

They say New Pork is the place to be now. They say it's a super-humongous city. I wanna go there.

First there's a fire, then lightning, and now earthquakes?! Why does this have to happen to us? Actually, when I think about it, I somehow get the feeling this is all your fault. Please stay away from us, if you'd be so kind!

You don't seem to take hints very well, so I'll just come out and say it. My family hates you. Why do you keep coming here? Yet, even after I've said this, I just know you'll keep coming back.

I'm the one teaching Master Ollie about humor. Though I may not look it, I've been known as "Huck the Huckster" since childhood.

You know, however depressed you may get, as long as you have hope, there'll always be tomorrow. So try not to give up hope. And what's also important is humor!

I bet it'd be fun if we all went together. Lucas, won't you and your friends come with us?

The room that had all the whispering is now (or always was) a closet. That one guy's still afraid to leave his room, though.

*chew* *chew* But wow, is this place the sticks or what? *chew* *chew* Maybe I should've gone to New Pork instead.

The lightning used to rain down every day, but then it suddenly stopped. The attack seemed so intense at first, but now it's almost casual and like, "Whatever."

Back to the beach...

Don't you want to go to the city, Lucas?

There's a legend about mermaids. I've heard a little bit about it. The legend says that mermaids use the power of love to rescue people who're drowning. Isn't that such a lovely story?

No, no. I know, I know. I can tell. You wanna ask about Tanetane Island, right? Don't pretend you don't! I know you wanna know about Tanetane Island. Okay, I'll tell you about it. There's an island straight across the sea from this beach. It's known as Tanetane Island, or sometimes "Spooky Island". Actually, I was the one who thought up the name "Spooky Island". They say the only way to get there is to dive to the bottom of the ocean. Yeah, right! As if that's really possible! I think not! Anyways, that's all I know. But I do know all kinds of other good stuff. I'd love to talk about them, and I know you'd love to hear about them. What? You DON'T want to hear about them?

Yikes, no wonder his kids hate him.

Now to the east side of town.

Bow-wow-wow-wow. (When you hang around sheep as a stray dog, you start to feel more like a pet dog.)

Lucas. I think I'm going to go to New Pork soon, so this may be the last time we meet. This rural nowheresville suits you great, though.

This building keeps falling more and more apart. It's such a sad and lonely place now...

Just doing the needle thing causes a couple people to leave, like the grandmother/granddaughter here, and also the policeman in the station (leaving a stray dog alone to run the place).

Every time I see you, the expression on your face gets more and more gallant. But each time you see me, I haven't changed at all, huh? That is quite something.

Finally, one more NPC pops up right outside the factory.

Come back some other time, unless you wanna get knocked flat on your butts.

He's not very friendly, though.

Next time, we actually continue the plot and investigate this Chimera Lab.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I really like the way Tazmily has changed over the course of the game. The changes are really subtle and inconspicuous, but they're presented in such a way that it makes you feel like there's something seriously wrong with what is going on.

The Pigmasks are really intriguing antagonists too. At first they're faceless, but then the game shows how some people in town are joining they're side, and after that it shows you that most of them are just ordinary people that are being used by someone who's pulling the strings from the shadows.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I kinda wished that secretary would explain herself a bit more other than "we hate you."
How could you hate Lucas? :ohdear:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MR. J posted:

I kinda wished that secretary would explain herself a bit more other than "we hate you."
How could you hate Lucas? :ohdear:
That's Pusher's wife, and everyone hates him (and Flint) because they didn't conform into the new consumerist version of Tazmily. Now that people are starting to become less attached to life in the village, the ugliness is really bubbling up to the surface.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

That door knob :argh:

First Thomas loses it. Then some guy tries to steal it. Now someone threw it to the east as far as he could. How is Lucas supposed to close his door now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Shwqa posted:

That door knob :argh:

First Thomas loses it. Then some guy tries to steal it. Now someone threw it to the east as far as he could. How is Lucas supposed to close his door now?

Purchase a new doorknob? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard, especially with the monsters and how Tazmily has developed.

I dunno, go to the Home Depot or something. And if that doesn't work, build a lava moat.

• Locked thread