Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ITV haven't renewed Andy Townsend's contract so he won't be on TV any more next season :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

ITV haven't renewed Andy Townsend's contract so he won't be on TV any more next season :getin:

Do ITV have any football from next season anyway? European games are moving to BT.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

peanut- posted:

Do ITV have any football from next season anyway? European games are moving to BT.

England internationals

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Finally

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Total Meatlove posted:

England internationals

I don't think you can call that football

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

England internationals

Guess it didn't make much sense to have an Irishman doing the punditry for England games

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How did he even get that job anyway. I don't remember anyone in the mid 90s saying "What an erudite and engaging footballer Townsend is, let's hope we hear more form him after he retires".

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Monday Bandele posted:

How did he even get that job anyway. I don't remember anyone in the mid 90s saying "What an erudite and engaging footballer Townsend is, let's hope we hear more form him after he retires".

People like Phil Neville and Danny Murphy have pundit gigs nowadays so theres a clear market for terrible ex footballers to make a living

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Hopefully BT gently caress off Owen too

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Jonathan Pearce is the worst personality in commentary. Thick, opinionated, blind and always lining up a Big Phrase.

Matt Smith, the unobtrusive ITV anchor with the apologetic smile, has not had his contract renewed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Breath Ray posted:

Jonathan Pearce is the worst personality in commentary. Thick, opinionated, blind and always lining up a Big Phrase.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
AND HERE COMES SIR KILLALOT

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Andy Townsend is going to go to BT for champions league coverage

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Breath Ray posted:

It was good when he lost his poo poo about goal line technology and he would not shut up about it for the rest of the match even when it was obvious he was wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Despite being unveiled in New York the Premier League have said Lampard's contract is with Man City and there is no agreement with NYCFC

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jose posted:

Despite being unveiled in New York the Premier League have said Lampard's contract is with Man City and there is no agreement with NYCFC

His contract is actually with City Football Group, which is cool and good because City Football Group Legend Frank Lampard sounds a lot better than City Legend Frank Lampard

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Total Meatlove posted:

England internationals

I'm excited to be able to catch Bale and the lions on ITV finally, and without Townsend mucking it up? Top notch stuff.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

His contract is actually with City Football Group, which is cool and good because City Football Group Legend Frank Lampard sounds a lot better than City Legend Frank Lampard

So a player can be registered by a club when owned by a non-club, in this case a holding company?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Olewithmilk posted:

It was good when he lost his poo poo about goal line technology and he would not shut up about it for the rest of the match even when it was obvious he was wrong.
It was almost impressive. Managing to misunderstand how goal-line technology, the rules of football, and the passage of time all work.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

So a player can be registered by a club when owned by a non-club, in this case a holding company?
does this mean chelsea players can register for other teams? :xd:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Monday Bandele posted:

AND HERE COMES SIR KILLALOT

Lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Imagine actually answering Gary Neville to that question. You must surely instinctively know at that point that you're actually a fuckwit.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Imagine actually answering Gary Neville to that question. You must surely instinctively know at that point that you're actually a fuckwit.
What did you answer, haha

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

How is lawro so low? He's another loving moron ex Liverpool player that somehow gets 6 figures a year from the public purse to talk absolute poo poo and complain about the fact he has to watch football.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lawro was a local HTV legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHcWVG3yWtI

That is to say he was a pundit on local TV when I was growing up and so I actually quite like the guy and his sense of humour.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like Lawro because he's a miserable git and takes the piss out of games, which is a nice step up from the usual routine of reassuring American viewers that the game is worth watching, and trying to convince them that there are goals coming in the second half.

His commentary is way better than him on Match of the Day, anyway. Especially when he just doesn't bother talking for 15 minutes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

How is lawro so low? He's another loving moron ex Liverpool player that somehow gets 6 figures a year from the public purse to talk absolute poo poo and complain about the fact he has to watch football.
Owen should be below him and Phil Neville, he has a boring voice but he is not a bad commentator or pundit at all apart from that

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

8raz posted:

What did you answer, haha

I wrote "I don't own a TV" on a piece of paper and then gave it to a stranger

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Gordon Taylor has risked further controversy by appearing to compare the Ched Evans case with the Hillsborough tragedy.
After the convicted rapist's move to Oldham collapsed, the Professional Footballers' Association chief executive was asked about Evans's insistence that he is innocent.
"He wouldn't have been the first person to be found guilty, maintained their innocence and been proved right. We know what happened with Hillsborough," Taylor told BBC Sport.
"It's now unravelling and very different to how it was portrayed at the time - indeed by the police at the time."

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Breath Ray posted:

Gordon Taylor has risked further controversy by appearing to compare the Ched Evans case with the Hillsborough tragedy.
After the convicted rapist's move to Oldham collapsed, the Professional Footballers' Association chief executive was asked about Evans's insistence that he is innocent.
"He wouldn't have been the first person to be found guilty, maintained their innocence and been proved right. We know what happened with Hillsborough," Taylor told BBC Sport.
"It's now unravelling and very different to how it was portrayed at the time - indeed by the police at the time."

lol what a thick oval office, how does someone this stupid have a job in the public eye?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Gordon Taylor's not great either

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue Star Error posted:

lol what a thick oval office, how does someone this stupid have a job in the public eye?

quote:

"There will have to be quite a difference in the tide of opinion [for him to play professional football again] but I do think it may help when they know he is genuinely apologetic for the consequences of what happened.
"He's been put through the wringer and the minute you show any sympathy for Ched people will say 'what about the other parties concerned?'.

Was he off his face on crack when gave this interview ?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FullLeatherJacket posted:

His voice is quite annoying to listen to

but tbf one of the options was Michael Owen

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

quote:

apologetic for the consequences of what happened

jesus loving christ

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wonder who'll be next to support Ched?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Blue Star Error posted:

He was on university challenge and was crap on questions about the world cup.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Relegate Man City for playing Lampard when he's owned by a third party

also relegate chelsea just because

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sky were suggesting that his contract is with Man City directly, not the City group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

Gordon Taylor's not great either

Gordon Taylor has apologised for comparing the Hillsborough tragedy to the Ched Evans rape case.
"The last thing I intended to do was to upset anybody connected to the Hillsborough case," the Professional Footballers' Association chief told BBC Radio Merseyside.

• Locked thread