Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I demand ideological purity in my friends, family, and work colleagues. Any political difference is grounds to cut off contact completely.

-A reasonable human being

It's not that I demand ideological purity from Facebook friends, it the fact that if someone is OK with financially and politically supporting torture apologists then chances are our world views are so far apart that any common ground is likely to be nonexistent.

There was this one time i nearly ruined one of my oldest friends wedding when I blasted the best man for being a libertarian chucklefuck. I asked him why he was OK supporting child torturers, and he said it was because he wasn't a single issue voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Huh, that Sydney Argentinian Restaurant that goon told me to go to while I was in Sydney is on fire.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Gaucho Grill?!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No PORTENO

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Oh phew

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is the ALP actually a chance at winning Queensland? I can imagine a campaign based on the uncertainty over who will be premier when Can-Do loses his seat would have decent success, not to mention all the other lovely things the LNP has done being dug up again.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Is the ALP actually a chance at winning Queensland?

No.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
I look down on queenslander and their tropical lifestyle. Very unaudtralian. I also look down on everyone outside 28ish km of the sydney cbd. I have concluded from fb comments on tony abbott fb page and 7 news page and daily tele page that almost everyone from central coast or some other elusivr place. Freakin 50 year old retirees and stay at home mothers discovering facebook or some dumb bogan with a v8 ute or aussie flag as cover photo or photo of some adf soldier. It is no surprise the racist lady on the train getting all upset cause she couldbt get a seat is from the central coast and once on an epping train which goes up the coast a bunch of bogans were talking about how "the loving moslems ruined easter at me school" and "immigrants stealing jobs". The inner city racist are just drunks and junkies and the mentally ill on the other hand. That is not to say generic comments from the lefty camp dont piss me off but lees so on social media.

The latte sipping elite in which the dumb brit nick cater talks about in his rip off title of the
'Lucky country' called the 'the lucky culture' im not sure even exist. Although ive never read the book i raised eyebrows at how on wilipedia says gillard and rudd endorses the book? Please explain. Aren the latte sippersjust a mix of artist, people who work at th abc, 30 year yuppies and live in the inner west and inner city? Surely theyre not in the same league as murdoch and gina rinehart?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

Nuclear Spy, your facebook friends are awesome, they all added me en-masse and started telling my conservative friends to gently caress off and die. Now I have no conservative facebook friends.
This is just one of the many benefits of Greens membership:

"Who is it?" - "Greens." - "Who?" - "Hired Greens."

I'm assuming your ex-Labor friends didn't do much of that at all and just bugged you at your door instead...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Frogmanv2 posted:

It's not that I demand ideological purity from Facebook friends, it the fact that if someone is OK with financially and politically supporting torture apologists then chances are our world views are so far apart that any common ground is likely to be nonexistent.

There was this one time i nearly ruined one of my oldest friends wedding when I blasted the best man for being a libertarian chucklefuck. I asked him why he was OK supporting child torturers, and he said it was because he wasn't a single issue voter.

Are you trying to come across as reasonable in this anecdote? Because if so I have some bad news.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

astupiddvdcase posted:

I look down on queenslander and their tropical lifestyle. Very unaudtralian. I also look down on everyone outside 28ish km of the sydney cbd. I have concluded from fb comments on tony abbott fb page and 7 news page and daily tele page that almost everyone from central coast or some other elusivr place. Freakin 50 year old retirees and stay at home mothers discovering facebook or some dumb bogan with a v8 ute or aussie flag as cover photo or photo of some adf soldier. It is no surprise the racist lady on the train getting all upset cause she couldbt get a seat is from the central coast and once on an epping train which goes up the coast a bunch of bogans were talking about how "the loving moslems ruined easter at me school" and "immigrants stealing jobs". The inner city racist are just drunks and junkies and the mentally ill on the other hand. That is not to say generic comments from the lefty camp dont piss me off but lees so on social media.

The latte sipping elite in which the dumb brit nick cater talks about in his rip off title of the
'Lucky country' called the 'the lucky culture' im not sure even exist. Although ive never read the book i raised eyebrows at how on wilipedia says gillard and rudd endorses the book? Please explain. Aren the latte sippersjust a mix of artist, people who work at th abc, 30 year yuppies and live in the inner west and inner city? Surely theyre not in the same league as murdoch and gina rinehart?

Is this guy some sort of weird troll?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

This is just one of the many benefits of Greens membership:

"Who is it?" - "Greens." - "Who?" - "Hired Greens."

I'm assuming your ex-Labor friends didn't do much of that at all and just bugged you at your door instead...

I sometimes got called at night to be asked to delete certain Facebook comments for being too left or too controversial. You need to fit into the Labor brand they said.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Splode posted:

Is this guy some sort of weird troll?

Go on seven channel news check their headline on paris shooting and read
Comments or go on any tony abbott post. Im pretty sure there is a link between these type of people and posting on fb.
And yes i am srs i have met seen lots of racist rants on public transport or hungry jacks being a frequent user of trains and buses

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 9, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Huh, that Sydney Argentinian Restaurant that goon told me to go to while I was in Sydney is on fire.

That was me, I was there again two days ago with a date too. Weird coincidence. It should be fine, the fire was in the roof.

Also if me and Anidav can't reiterate it: it's a great date place and I heartily recommend checking out its pop up in Hyde Park at the Sydney festival along with Messina for dessert.

http://blog.sydneyfestival.org.au/2015/01/06/messina-announce-double-diner-menu/

The Royale with Cheese – $10
The Messina ‘gelato burger’ – milk chocolate gelato pattie, layered with white chocolate cheese, passionfruit ‘mustard’ and raspberry ‘ketchup’, served in a warm brioche bun.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah that place was amazing and the Waiter even wrote down a sauce recipe on a business card for us.

We hosed up the sauce at home and ruined a frying pan over it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amethyst posted:

I demand ideological purity in my friends, family, and work colleagues. Any political difference is grounds to cut off contact completely.

-A reasonable human being

This is a post made by a person who thinks politics isn't personal, that someone can be a "good person" and have lovely politics at the same time

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This is a post made by a person who thinks politics isn't personal, that someone can be a "good person" and have lovely politics at the same time

I actually believe in the quote "a decent man could be racist"
Its like lynching of blacks in good ol us of a. Crowds with woman and children gather around and smiling collecting crispi body parts and later go back home being good wives and kids. These are your grandparents!!
That euphoric smile in the background
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Jesse_Washington

Its one of those weird things like loving warplanes jets and poo poo and being a general pacifist. Its like a peversion

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 9, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I like astupiddvdcase's style

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Was this posted? A woman filmed stealing a Labor election sign https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1524397564476520&set=vb.1501550403427903&type=2&theater

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Can someone get the number plate? The Police won't do it because they are run by Santos!" - Crazy facebook person on Labor election sign thievery

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I don't demand ideological purity from my Facebook friends, I just post relentlessly about the Greens and let nature take its course.

Frankly, at this point, I have enough friends who I actually get along with and enjoy being around through the Greens and through other activist stuff that I don't need to maintain the shithead Tories I went to high school with.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Well, your post history is proof that the reverse can be true.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Melbourne airport's been evacuated as part of an incident involving the AFP. Presumably, they've left explosives lying around as they seem to commonly do.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Murodese posted:

Melbourne airport's been evacuated as part of an incident involving the AFP. Presumably, they've left explosives lying around as they seem to commonly do.

Its not that this happens that I found amusing, its how often its happened, and with how many different security agencies from all over the place. Makes me laugh every single bloody time.

Hopefully it is just another, whoops where did we put the explosives, mix up and nothing more serious.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Systematic posted:

If you run into one of those 'islam is scary, so they are all terrorists' type of rednecks, here's a tip:

If they huff and puff about 'multiculturalism has failed/islam is terrorism/arabs are X', simply ask "well, what do you think we should do about it?" This puts the ball back in their court- They are then forced to either:

1) Talk about mass exportation of hundreds of thousands of innocent people (many who are BORN here), or something worse in front of their peers online/in person, or

2) slink away into the basement where they came from.

Only YOU can protect this nation from idiots flooding the internet with bullshit comments thanks to a couple of dip shits who now have targets on their backs.

This message, brought to you by: PEOPLE WITH COMMON loving SENSE.

Not only have I made this post before, I've literally used this tactic dozens of times already to get rednecks to say or agree to things that would have made Hitler jizz himself.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tirade posted:

Well, your post history is proof that the reverse can be true.

posting this from the alfred

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
This is the funniest poll result:

#Galaxy Poll NSW Who is NSW ALP Leader: Foley 19 Robertson 1 Someone else 14 Uncommitted 66 #nswpol #auspol

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Are you trying to come across as reasonable in this anecdote? Because if so I have some bad news.

So you think it's unreasonable to blast someone for being chucklefuck libertarian who supports a party that in no way stands up for the ideals they supposedly support, and is perfectly OK with torturing innocent women and children.

Yeah, this is why I really don't give a poo poo what you think about me, and one of the many reasons we aren't Facebook friends.

See? I don't demand ideological purity, but a somewhat similar world view.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Frogmanv2 posted:

Yeah, this is why I really don't give a poo poo what you think about me, and one of the many reasons we aren't Facebook friends.

:eyepop:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Murodese posted:

This is the funniest poll result:

#Galaxy Poll NSW Who is NSW ALP Leader: Foley 19 Robertson 1 Someone else 14 Uncommitted 66 #nswpol #auspol

'Uncommitted ALP leader set to win NSW election.'

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Lid posted:

Also if me and Anidav can't reiterate it: it's a great date place

I can't believe everyone skipped over the part where Lid and Anidav went on a date.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Shots fired. :siren:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I don't demand ideological purity from my Facebook friends, I just post relentlessly about the Greens and let nature take its course.

Frankly, at this point, I have enough friends who I actually get along with and enjoy being around through the Greens and through other activist stuff that I don't need to maintain the shithead Tories I went to high school with.

I like how you and whoever the other person was who jumped on my friend the other day on FB. I've been wearing him down on why his opinions are bad and I needed a break and it was great that you two jumped in.

My advice is don't straight off delete people for having different / wrong opinions at first. Try and change them / educate them. We've spoken about this many times. Even if you don't change that persons opinion, there's probably a half a dozen or more onlookers who are afraid to comment that your points are getting through to.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 9, 2015

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Also I can't believe the ALP were calling Anidav at night to get him to remove certain comments off facebook. That poo poo is amazing.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

So you think it's unreasonable to blast someone for being chucklefuck libertarian who supports a party that in no way stands up for the ideals they supposedly support, and is perfectly OK with torturing innocent women and children.

See? I don't demand ideological purity, but a somewhat similar world view.

Nearly ruining your friends wedding over a political disagreement is unreasonable, friend.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Amethyst posted:

Nearly ruining your friends wedding over a political disagreement is unreasonable, friend.

Amethyst cops a lot of poo poo in this thread sometimes but he's right about this.

Not all conservatives are bad people, even if they sometimes have lovely opinions. I think this thread sometimes forgets, in its pursuit of ideological purity, thay they're people and people regardless of position on the political pendulum are hosed up.

If you can't handle different opinions than you yourself hold, why the gently caress are you on the internet in the first place?

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 9, 2015

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
It dont care if the alp win the election. They have said coal is Ok as long as it is done sensibly/not at any cost/whatever, which is literally the line that the federal lnp counterpart used in her pamphlet. They'll sell off assets if they have to, and public servants are already beginning to be rehired. The cops love the lnp so alp will be too scared to piss off the praetorian guard if they win government for any progress to happen there. They may be slightly less closed to the idea of funding community programs but these won't be an alp creation, just a blow off valve to stop the violent revolution.

Qld is a wild west (north) where elections don't matter so much as your ability to live off the land. Maybe some of the inner types will get a true progressive to represent them but we are still a few civilisation upgrades away from it becoming a big deal (but good on them for getting the job started). Don't get too excited about Jan 31, it's kang or kodos more than ever before

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

tithin posted:

Amethyst cops a lot of poo poo in this thread sometimes but he's right about this.

Not all conservatives are bad people, even if they sometimes have lovely opinions. I think this thread sometimes forgets, in its pursuit of ideological purity, thay they're people and people regardless of position on the political pendulum are hosed up.

If you can't handle different opinions than you yourself hold, why the gently caress are you on the internet in the first place?

Best post of 2015.

Matthew Beet posted:

Also I can't believe the ALP were calling Anidav at night to get him to remove certain comments off facebook. That poo poo is amazing.

Yeah, that's some crazy level poo poo there. Anidav gets a call at 2am "Uhhhh hi?" "Yeah hi, that comment blah blah blah on Facebook? Yeah man, you're making us look bad, it's TOO left ok, you have to take it down now. We just can't have this." "But aren't we a left party?" "Yeah, but it's just TOO left, ok?"

And they wonder why they're losing votes to the Greens.

Also, asio, there are some non-power generation uses for coal, such as coking for steel.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

CrazyTolradi posted:

Best post of 2015.

Yeah, that's some crazy level poo poo there. Anidav gets a call at 2am "Uhhhh hi?" "Yeah hi, that comment blah blah blah on Facebook? Yeah man, you're making us look bad, it's TOO left ok, you have to take it down now. We just can't have this." "But aren't we a left party?" "Yeah, but it's just TOO left, ok?"

And they wonder why they're losing votes to the Greens.

Also, asio, there are some non-power generation uses for coal, such as coking for steel.

Yeh but this is at the same time we're being told that all coal has to stay in the ground starting now or else catastrophic climate change. Also my point is that it is the same line. I'm sure there were some well meaning dead shits who said the same thing last time around.

Why does it have to be coal, can't we use sugar cane or dog poo or southerners? Nb I don't know what coking is and I sure don't like the sound of it. (Also I am from and in and love Queensland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

asio posted:

Yeh but this is at the same time we're being told that all coal has to stay in the ground starting now or else catastrophic climate change. Also my point is that it is the same line. I'm sure there were some well meaning dead shits who said the same thing last time around.

Why does it have to be coal, can't we use sugar cane or dog poo or southerners? Nb I don't know what coking is and I sure don't like the sound of it. (Also I am from and in and love Queensland)

There is no even slightly realistic scenario where we are going to avoid catastrophic climate change at this point. It would take alien intervention or the establishment of a global benevolent dictatorship (ha).

I'm not suggesting that it's OK to keep digging up and burning fossil fuels, but there are lots of things that are not OK that are inevitably going to happen, and this is one of them.

• Locked thread