Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like the more unorthodox style of the LP's in this thread.

Looking forward to your update, AdventFalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Would anyone give advice/tell me how to mod in a custom non-Tengri horde? I should probably have picked an easier event to try for a first attempt.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AdventFalls posted:

Would anyone give advice/tell me how to mod in a custom non-Tengri horde? I should probably have picked an easier event to try for a first attempt.

Ugh, good luck with that. I would try to ask in the main thread, the guy who made After the End or the guy who made Sonedar may be able to help you out.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

I'm working at making the same thing myself and I'm looking at the "Mongol Events" in the "events" folder. I'd suggest starting there.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

I'm giving myself a deadline of Saturday evening to get the custom event working. If it isn't running by then I will run the game and start writing updates before sharing my efforts.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Update: I have enough of the events working that I can run the game tonight and console in the parts that didn't work. Feudal updates tomorrow.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Tomorrow is code for two days apparently.

Feudal Chapter Six: The Senior Apparent
Feudal Chapter Seven: Svetozar and Radoslav (Or, How to Fail at Modding By Not Knowing What You’re Doing)

The mod I ended up with isn't a GOOD one, but if you're reforming a pagan faith in Charlemagne wicked fast then it'll spice things up (if I can ever fix the war dec).

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

:allears: Let everyone fall before the Kurdish Horde! :black101:

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

After many failed attempts at modding, here are my results

Republic - Chapter 5: Convergence

I tried to create a melting pot chain for Egypt/Scotland. It didn't work out, but if the Scots hold onto Egypt long enough I'll console it in.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AdventFalls posted:

"He was practically Jesus if Jesus was German and didn’t have a problem kicking people while they were down."

So, if Jesus was German, then.

(and kudos for the Scotsman in Egypt cameo)

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

I'm still struggling on how to make the religious/culture maps that are in other LPs. If someone knows how to make them, tell me so I can do that for the next SotW.

Republic - Chapter Six: The Times and Trials of Prince Mayor Volodar

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Click on the religion/culture tab above the minimap, then press F10.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Thank you sir.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Republic Chapter Seven: Twice As Bright

Welcome to today’s mini-lecture in our series on European History. I know we have a long weekend coming up, but today we’re starting on one of the most important series of events in Eastern Europe.

I’m talking of course, about the First Black Sea War. This was not the first time that they had declared a state of holy war against a Slavic power – the Kingdom of Croatia had been absorbed into the empire a few decades prior.
It was the first time they’d fought the Taurican Republic, which was in a very strange place.

This is the Taurican Republic at the start of the war. They had just finished continuing their expansion into the east, and the new Prince Mayor was rumored to want to recreate the title of ‘King of Cumania’. It’s just a rumor, of course. No one will ever know because the war cancelled his plans.

I mentioned a new Prince Mayor, didn’t I? Yes, meet Prince Mayor Gleb! He’d been a well-known skirt-chaser while he was the Grand Mayor of Constantia. That reputation had followed him to higher office. He was facing intense pressure from the Alanian lords for independence.

However, given that the Byzantines had just declared war they decided that now might be a pretty bad time.

The cause of the war stems back to the crippling of Bulgaria. Volodar’s transparent attempt to seize Karnuva was seen as a direct challenge to Basileus Gregorios Kyritizzios’s attempt to resecure the Roman’s lost lands.

Keep in mind that this sounded like a pretty easy war to win to the Romans. The Tauricans were rich but the mayors could only muster a thousand men. The Prince Mayor’s retinue numbered two, maybe three thousand.

The Empire could bring thirty thousand men to bear. They hadn’t lost a war in decades.

The defenders of the Slavic faith were a group of holy warriors known as the ‘Warriors of Perun’. Given that the Holy Slavic Empire was a paper tiger at the time, they might’ve been – no, they WERE the strongest Slavic military force on the planet.

When the Tauricans hired them to fight Byzantium, they saw it as a chance to face off against the legendary Varangian Guard.

With other mercenary bands on retainer, the Taurican Merchant Army numbered close to seventeen thousand. It was a far cry from the pitiful force they had before but they were still outnumbered two to one.

The entire Karnuvan coast had been occupied by the time the Merchant Army was assembled. The Basileus was demanding the Taurican’s complete surrender. And the Prince Mayor knew that if he lost one big battle, he’d have no choice to but agree.

The Merchant army went to work laying waste to any garrison the Romans had left behind.

Half the Byzantine army crossed the Dardanelles just before the Tauricans could free the last few Karnuvan holdings.

Keep in mind that by the time the Tauricans were moving into Moesia they slightly outnumbered the nearby Byzantine force. With some patience, the Byzantines could wait for the rest of the army to arrive or even wait for the Taurican war effort to run out of money.

The Romans were lucky enough to catch the Merchant Army before they could cross into the Bulgarian steppes, forcing the first battle on even ground. The Byzantine generals were very skilled – one of them was the Emperor’s son, another was the King of Georgia and Armenia. The Tauricans were led mostly by mercenary leaders and religious zealots.

This battle’s a favorite ‘turning point’ for alternate history accounts. Because another force of twelve thousand Byzantine warriors was crossing into Europe while the Battle of Varna was taking place. The war could’ve gone VERY differently if the Byzantines had waited for those men.

Because by the time that army was ready to march on Varna, the Byzantine force had been handily defeated. Three Byzantines died for every Slav. Half of that Roman force? Gone.

The Tauricans finally made it to Moesia with the rest of the Romans in close pursuit. It’s interesting to note that in hindsight this might not have been the best plan for either force. Moesia was suffering from a pneumonia epidemic and it was starting to spread through the Merchant Army.

It didn’t work out for the Byzantines because they were charging into well-entrenched Taurican positions up hill. That’s ANOTHER six thousand men dead for the Romans.

You see, by this point in history just the fear of going to war with the Romans was enough to make a lot of armies surrender on principle. The Romans had slaughtered everyone who didn’t. But all of the sudden this upstart pagan republic was not only fighting the strongest power in that part of the world, it’s winning.

The even more humiliating part for the Empire is that they’re starting to capture very valuable prisoners as they keep winning. Half the Merchant Army is dead by this point but they’ve captured not one prince but two!

It gets so bad for the Byzantines that other Slavic lords are volunteering to help fight! Not that it really mattered.

Because the repeated fights were enough to force the Byzantines to surrender.

It’s this surrender combined with the Tauricans ransoming off every lord and lady they could find that causes a turning point in Europe. Because with the missteps by the Holy Roman Empire and the inability for the Holy Slavic Empire to do much of anything other than fight revolts AND the Abbassid Caliphate’s collapse into a Sunni and a Shia Caliphate, they were imagining that they could maybe restore Rome.
And the Taurican Republic was this grand experiment that everyone thought the HSE and the Byzantines would gobble up.

The Empire goes bankrupt over the terms of surrender and suddenly they up stuck in a civil war over the authority of the Emperor! Brigands, smugglers, thieves, Constantinople gets overrun by criminals and the Emperor has no money to fund a defense. All of the sudden the invincible Byzantine Empire looks vulnerable!
And the Tauricans?

Well, Prince Mayor Gleb ends up using ALL that money and reinvests it into new infrastructure projects on the Crimean peninsula. He says he wants to give something back to the Republic that allowed him to rule in peace while he fought their wars.

The response from the Tauricans is almost enough to make up for a lifetime of being treated as a lesser man for the color of his skin. He quietly announces his son – named after Gleb’s own father – will be his heir, and looks forward to the future. With Byzantium hobbled, he could wait for his investments to mature and start to secure the Karnuvan Coast. Perhaps one day, Constantinople...

We’ll pick up the rest of this after break.

Goodness, do you know how much the space-time continuum just got hosed? Byzantium was supposed to WIN that war. Not saying it would’ve caused a decline in the state, but do you know what winning caused to have happen?

I’ll tell you. GLEB DIED. Fighting three years straight his entire reign and being confused for a monkey the whole time was too much for the guy. The worst part is that he just named his underage son as his heir!

OOC: Computer crashed as I was editing the last few pictures. Lost the pictures.

So congratulations you monsters. The keys to the Republic just got handed over to someone that isn’t a Turov.

Let’s figure out what we’re going to do next, then. And no, we’re not instantly killing the new Prince Mayor once the new guy hits majority. You get to live with these consequences.
And we’re only doing ONE of these options.

>The agreement to not persecute Jews was a gentleman’s bargain between the Turovs and the Kievychs. With the Turovs out of power it’s open season. What about taking advantage of the chaos in the Mideast to give them a safe haven?
>The King of Egypt may not be Edward Canmore, but he’s actually kicking some serious rear end. Should the Son of Canmore named King of Jerusalem?
>The reformation of the Church of Zun and the Shia Caliph have both targeted an ailing Taid Shah. Do we help the Zoroastrians reform their church?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

AdventFalls posted:

>The agreement to not persecute Jews was a gentleman’s bargain between the Turovs and the Kievychs. With the Turovs out of power it’s open season. What about taking advantage of the chaos in the Mideast to give them a safe haven?

Yeah.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Give the Zoroastrians parts of India. I usually like giving them Ghana to begin with but India has a chance of being more relevant.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AdventFalls posted:

This is a good idea.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

So I've been reading through the ByzLP thread and came across a post that sounded sort of familiar...

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You know, if anyone wants to do the Lux Invicta thing, they can come over to the Challenge Run Megathread, as we have a special category for total overhaul mods. There was a guy doing After the End for a while, but he stopped. A shame, it was really interesting.
Dammit Morgenstern, you've got me all guilt-tripped from two months in the past. (The reason I stopped, incidentally, was Way of Life coming out and the related patch breaking some parts of the mod. I didn't want to mess with moving back and forth between game versions, and bringing the LP save forward would have hosed all the characters thanks to the new traits overlapping the mod traits.)

So here we go, let's bring this thing back.

Sadly, Barnabas in this timeline met with a few more setbacks than his counterpart in our old save. The rise of Consumerists in Penobscot meant that he was beaten to forming New England, and denied tribal subjugation on the lands. His youngest son Balthasar had to be the one to carry his father's destiny to completion. (You'll notice we're fending off a crusade from the Ursulines and another war from our neighbors the Maritimes, though.)

Barnabas did accomplish something, though...

Nogad League Strikeball teams are the envy of the world.

But yeah. I'm caught up to the formation of New England, so we've got a few options at this point.

The High Church Maritimes to the north have the rest of de jure New England, so we could go after them to take what's ours. If we don't, they're likely to continue to needle us regardless, but we've been pretty decent at fending them off thus far.

Alternately, we hold two of the Occultist holy sites. The rest are in various parts of New York, quite nearby. We could go after them and try to reform our religion. This would be our first real tussle with feudal Christian kingdoms on their home turf, though, which we might not be ready for if they have allies.

That said, Balthasar is a humble, patient man. It might make more sense to rest on our laurels a bit and build up our infrastructure, building stone hillforts and generally improving our land now that we have some time to spend doing things other than war.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

:unsmith: Ah, you didn't need to come back. But I'm glad you did.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Jalathas posted:

That said, Balthasar is a humble, patient man. It might make more sense to rest on our laurels a bit and build up our infrastructure, building stone hillforts and generally improving our land now that we have some time to spend doing things other than war.
Breaking the enemy on forts sounds great :) as does making improvements.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Play to the character. He should spend some time building up his land and playing strikeball.

Man. I need to get this mod.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Update 4: Peace and Prosperity...?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've never seen merchant republics wanting a share of your trade expedition profits before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

D'aww, the new events give you more chances to make friends. It's too bad that you went with adding statues of your family to the garden instead of religious icons, though- N'yarlahotep would be right at home in a hedge maze. And you might get some mad sculptors besides!

• Locked thread